The Daily for Friday December 03, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Roof over Your Head Day, Bartender Appreciation Day, and International Day of Persons with Disabilities

"If you want to be thought a liar, always tell the truth. - Logan Pearsall Smith"

Meal suggestion for today - Hubert Keller's Alsatian Baeckeoffe

Drink of the Day - Cape Cod

Wine of the day - Bodegas Hidalgo La Gitana Manzanilla Sanlúcar de Barrameda La Gitana NV

Destination of the Day - Semarang Java Indonesia

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Eurodam destination Port Everglades, FL US eta 12/5
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Port Everglades, FL US eta 12/5
Nieuw Statendam destination Half Moon Cay BS eta 12/4
Rotterdam destination Philipsburg St Maartin

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam destination San Diego CA US eta 12/5

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Noordam Destination Great Stirrup Cay

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1203NAmerica.thumb.png.f961a3b197a469578fedd93299692583.png

1203Europe.thumb.png.ed0f7092b4b4a921dca21c6bf7cddbe9.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 13

Happy Friday everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  Great collection of days, certainly glad that there’s a roof over my head.  The quote can be so true at times. Not sure what today’s meal suggestion is but it sounds interesting. I’ll wait for the recipe while sipping a Cape Cod. Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to the photos. Prayers for all on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating happy events.

• Like 25

Thank you for the Daily Rich.  I am a cheerleader for the Disabled and will especially honor all those with disabilities today.

As we get ready for our cruise today, I leave you with some photos i took this morning of the Port of Miami at sunrise and the Oceania Riviera in port waiting for me to board.

Have a great Friday everyone, I will try to post when I can.

God Bless,

Terri

303494B0-8DF4-46FB-92A2-C2E71FE5DCD8.jpeg

1843FEE7-4155-432B-BAC1-8AEB75185A95.jpeg

9F32FDE9-DF4E-45CC-B5CB-C8EF65CF2F0A.jpeg

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Happy Friday.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I am thankful to have a roof over my head.  I appreciate the bartenders on the BHB.   Disabled persons have rights too.

Love the quote.

Not sure what to make of the dinner suggestion, looking forward to seeing the recipe.  Hope the drink of the day and wine are good.

Have a great cruise @Cruzin Terri

Prayers for everyone. 

Stay safe.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Glad to have a roof over my head.  Persons with Disabilities need a day.  Bartenders will be popular here.  Quote is strange but probably quite true,  I don't recognize the meal but suspect it's fish and will pass.  I've been to Semarang just once.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
NW and BC flooding, mudslides, and people trapped between closures with diminishing supplies
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
Strength for smitty34877 and tana

summer slope awaiting biopsy results
From the rotation:
LaPalma
NextOne  DDIL with long haul Covid
My travel agent with an esophageal blockage
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery 12/24 with pre-test 12/21

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Hannukah through 12/6
5 BHB with passengers
Bon Voyage  Cruisin Terri (O Riveira)
2 days for Heartgrove Koningsdam and kb4863 Regal Princess to 12/9
Front Line Health Care Workers            
Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 12/12) , Lynanken and Lindaler (Rotterdam) at sea
Another week for Overhead Fred
StLouisCruiser in Orlando with Ren
Irishjim DW back home
Welcome home Norseh2o
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Konibngsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Off to take our COVID test in an hour! Sam seems to be sensing that we might be leaving on a trip with suitcases, etc. being packed. Hopefully his separation anxiety doesn't kick in. He may have experienced similar circumstances before. But at least displaying his normal routine so far this morning.

• Like 26

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our TGIF smile 🙂

Definitely appreciate our roof over our heads & bartenders - especially on BHB’s 😉 YAY for a day for those with disabilities.

I’m not sure what to make of the quote today or the meal suggestion.  I’ll wait for Debbie on that one and the wine sounds intriguing.

I want to thank you all for your prayers and kindness.  ♥️  While I haven’t said much, DH has not been well and deteriorating rapidly.  My life for the last few weeks has been vey hard watching this happen & trying to help 😢 💔 

Thankfully, DH’s doctor knew the rapid decline was too swift so she went looking for zebras instead of horses when she heard the hoof beats.  She ordered a very rare test which revealed a problem which should be fixable. He is now on the regimen and with luck and God’s help, he’ll be his old self in a few weeks 🙏🏻 

So, today I am very grateful to you all for your prayers and to God for listening and answering.  

6F74516C-BD4D-42C9-86EB-E6A4B6FF248C.jpeg.a678e3d20530af30669392efb0990304.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday, everyone.

AC09E090-C63C-4637-8DA5-C2194A0DCACB.jpeg.c95e4fc642e1b94c4ea4cf6e7e450925.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 12

Good afternoon from a cold 44°F and damp NE England.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the lists.

I am thankful we have a roof over our heads.

The bartender's are helpful on the ship.

Disabled people deserve our respect and courtesy.

Strange quote.

If you always tell the truth you don't need to have a good memory unlike liars who tell different stories.

Not sure about the food and drink.

Prayers 🙏 always for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

• Like 20

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

Definitely appreciate our roof over our heads & bartenders - especially on BHB’s 😉 YAY for a day for those with disabilities.

I’m not sure what to make of the quote today or the meal suggestion.  I’ll wait for Debbie on that one and the wine sounds intriguing.

I want to thank you all for your prayers and kindness.  ♥️  While I haven’t said much, DH has not been well and deteriorating rapidly.  My life for the last few weeks had been vey hard watching this happen & trying to help 😢 💔 

Thankfully, DH’s doctor knew the rapid decline was too swift so she went looking for zebras instead of horses when she heard the hoof beats.  She ordered a very rare test which revealed a problem which should be fixable. He is now on the regimen and with luck and God’s help, he’ll be his old self in a few weeks 🙏🏻 

So, today I am very grateful to you all for your prayers and to God for listening and answering.  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Awesome news.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

I want to thank you all for your prayers and kindness.  ♥️  While I haven’t said much, DH has not been well and deteriorating rapidly.  My life for the last few weeks had been vey hard watching this happen & trying to help 😢 💔 

Prayers 🙏 for your DH Jacquie.

Thankfully his doctor has diagnosed what was wrong and hopefully his recovery will be quick.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thankfully, DH’s doctor knew the rapid decline was too swift so she went looking for zebras instead of horses when she heard the hoof beats.  She ordered a very rare test which revealed a problem which should be fixable. He is now on the regimen and with luck and God’s help, he’ll be his old self in a few weeks

Good news. Don't post, but have been keeping you (and others) on my care list.

• Like 17

@kazu, Jacqui,  thank you for the update on your DH.  You have been in my thoughts ever since you first mentioned his appointment.  Glad his doctor has a plan in place and hope he turns around real soon.  Hugs 🤗

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  It’s been a long time since I’ve had a Cape Cod, not sure why as I like them.  I’m hoping to appreciate bar tenders next week.  I’ll wait until @dfish posts recipes as I’m suspicious of the meal suggestion.

As we get closer to trying a different cruise line I am appreciating HAL more.  DH has been bugging me for a few years to try another line and I think he is beginning to regret that request.  Hopefully life onboard will improve our outlook.  Traveling with friends so that will be a plus.  
I hope everyone has a good day.  Off to work for me!

• Like 25

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  As the rest of you, I am very happy to have a roof over my head; not everyone is as fortunate.  Yay for the bartenders on the BHB's!  It's good to honour those with disabilities - they are often overlooked and discounted in our society.

It's a quiet morning out there this morning because yesterday afternoon and evening we had a big drop of snow - thick, wet flakes.   DH and I went out to shovel and ended up having a snowball fight with our neighbour, as the snow was absolutely perfect for it.  I suspect there will be lots of snowmen built today. I'm going to try to figure out how to get the short video of the snowfall from my phone to here.  It looked like a winter wonderland.

@Cruzin Terri Bon Voyage - I'm so excited for you!

@kazu such great news; I'm glad your doctor went looked for the obscure rather than the obvious.  Hopefully Jose makes a complete recovery and you can breathe easily again.

Not a lot happening here today, we'll run out and mail the Christmas cards I finally finished, maybe grab a few groceries and a Timmies coffee and that's about it.  I think I'll make a batch of butter tart slice and a banana loaf that can be frozen for use later.  I like to have things on hand in case I want to make a quick plate to give to a neighbour or friend.

I had to look up today's menu suggestion, as I had no idea what it was - it's stew.  LOL  I haven't made that for a couple of weeks, but will put the idea away for another day because it's Friday night pizza night at our house.  DH said he wants the chicken bacon ranch that we had a while ago, so I think we'll be ordering that for delivery tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses high to cheer all on the happy list - with an extra "Cheers!" to Jose and Jacqui.  Stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, get your boosters and be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

I want to thank you all for your prayers and kindness.  ♥️  While I haven’t said much, DH has not been well and deteriorating rapidly.  My life for the last few weeks has been vey hard watching this happen & trying to help 😢 💔 

Jacqui, I am so glad to hear this news, This is a very supportive community and I am glad I found it.

Hopefully Jose and you will be cruising again soon!

Mary 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.

@kazu I am really happy that Jose's doctor found the cause of the problem and that it is treatable.  Here's to a speedy recovery.  

Not much on the agenda today except the pool and the grocery store.  Yesterday at the pool a man was in the lane I had reserved and refused to move.  I talked to him, the lifeguard talked to him, the pool manager came out to talk to him.  He ignored us all and would just swim away.   We explained that he had not reserved the lane and I had and his response was why should he suffer over a mistake.  The problem with the lanes is that I use mine to do therapy exercises for my back and I need the correct depth and to be able to touch the bottom.  The two lanes that were shallower were in use for a class and the other available lanes were too deep.  We all just shook our heads.   Then, last night I received an email from him saying that next week he would give me that lane even if I had another one reserved.  I suspect there is some process going on  here.  

Today's meal is one I've had in Strasbourg, France.  I've since made it here at home and it is pretty easy to do.  Strasbourg, while not a cruise port for ocean going vessels, is one for river cruises.  The story I heard in Strasbourg is that through the week the housewife would put the left over meat pieces into a marinade and then on Sunday night assemble the dish to go to the baker's on Monday.   While it was baking in a slow oven, the housewife was free to do the laundry.   The dish was ready to be picked up at the baker's in time for the mid day meal.  

Marinating the meat overnight or longer allows a tough piece of meat to be tenderized nicely.  You can make this dish with one type of meat, two types of meat, or three types of meat.  I do not use the pig's feet or the oxtail.  Some recipes say to put carrots in, some do not.  There is room for a lot of variation in the recipe.  You can make it with just the meat, potatoes, and onion.  Serve a nice crisp salad along with it and you have a complete meal.  I've made this dish for dinner parties and have always gotten rave reviews from guests.  

https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/hubert-kellers-alsatian-baeckeoffe/174164

baeckeoffe-photo-principale-de-la-recette.jpg.03f6313920e8537eb8a93391bfab0d49.jpg

Some recipes include a bit of bacon for flavor:  https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Bacheofe-Alsatian-Stew/

1447663943_Baeckeoffe2.jpg.6e666c37dbf411b58384e6dd4c9b7e5d.jpg

Here is one more version:

https://www.thespicehouse.com/blogs/recipes/baeckeoffe-recipe

Baeckeoffe_9e1679d4-0a61-468c-b895-aef5c6e9208b_720x.jpg.2bf42429eec174c1f9edb0bb78dab75c.jpg

Enjoy!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach

Those with disabilities deserve a special day. They are often overlooked and forgotten. I believe more barriers need to come down for all.

Have not been to todays port. Would love to see pictures. 

@kazu  I am so glad you have a good doctor and hopefully Jose will be feeling better soon. You both will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Quiet day here today, which is good.  

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 20

Maddie is home safe! My neighbors just texted me!  When they woke up this morning, she was sleeping in her bed on their lanai. One of them snuck around the side and closed the lanai door, so she couldn’t escape. They said she just walked into the house as if nothing happened! 😎 Thanks to all of you for your words of hope & encouragement!

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A stellar combination of days. Each important in their own right. 

Roy thank you for our lists! Thinking of you, Jacqui & Terry! Morning Dailyites. Another spectacular morning here! I have a caulking project waiting for me, some more decorating, and chores. I am doing something with eggplant tonight. Not sure what I will feel like doing later. 

Rich, I have a correction to your list of Days…

9F3C3069-08B6-459B-98E2-7484242539C6.jpeg.10ae2f9ad3caaee485ea0a0887e7ae19.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Best of luck to your grandson’s soccer team, @StLouisCruisers. Stay well everyone!

Bodegas Hidalgo La Gitana Manzanilla Sanlúcar de Barrameda La Gitana NV

What a name! It is competing with the name of our meal of the day! This sherry has very good to - excellent ratings. And an amazingly low price. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $10.94.

Winemaker Notes

#37 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

The standard of type and leader both in Spain and abroad. Manzanilla is the rarest of all authentic sherries, being uniquely site-specific in origin. Matured beneath a constant veil of yeast (called flor) as only occurs in beachfront and protected cliffside bodegas of sanlucar, giving Manzanilla a dry, haunting delicacy analogous to fine Champagne.

WS92 Wine Spectator

A bright, high-pitched style, showing tangy quinine and chamomile notes laced with talc and fleur de sel flavors. Very dry, brisk, stony-edged finish. An absolute delight. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1