Mens dress code in MDR

Painter4me

Agree rccl hasn’t had a real dress code that was enforced in over 5 years, i went thru several tux’s starting in mid 1980’s and retired them a few years ago, even celebrity is getting very casual for dinner . Glad we have all those pictures of us on formal nights. 

I have been wondering the same thing.  My husband just prefers shorts in general and has a lot of the nice flat front khaki ones that he would wear with a button up or polo.  I will probably pack at least one pair of full length khakis for him just in case but if he sees others in shorts he’s going to want to wear shorts.  Like you, I don’t know why it matters so much but it does 🙂

24 minutes ago, PriceIsRight473 said:

I have been wondering the same thing.  My husband just prefers shorts in general and has a lot of the nice flat front khaki ones that he would wear with a button up or polo.  I will probably pack at least one pair of full length khakis for him just in case but if he sees others in shorts he’s going to want to wear shorts.  Like you, I don’t know why it matters so much but it does 🙂

It doesn’t matter to most.  If he is wearing nice shorts and a polo I highly doubt there would be any issue.  

I don’t think there is an actual code anymore other than no bathing suits and tank tops.  Now it is just suggested attired as I recall although I could be wrong on that.    Either way, dressier shorts with a nice shirt isn’t an issue. Perhaps on the suggested formal attire night you will get a few side eyes.  I personally wouldn’t suggest wearing shorts on those nights.   

20 minutes ago, topnole said:

I don’t think there is an actual code anymore other than no bathing suits and tank tops.  

That isn't even enforced all of the time. I have seen shorts, tank tops, ball caps, sleeveless t shirts, and sweat pants with "Juicy" on the rear end. No one cares. 

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack here, but I don't care. You can always eat at the "anytime restaurant" in your shorts! The 8 of us may LOOK bad to most of you who have answered this question, but when it comes to the MDR, and especially dressing up for "formal night," my 3 sons and wives and the rest of us will be DRESSED UP, whether anyone else likes it or not! As someone said, thank God for the formal pictures that made us look like we WORKED at getting dress.

14 minutes ago, beshears said:

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack here, but I don't care. You can always eat at the "anytime restaurant" in your shorts! The 8 of us may LOOK bad to most of you who have answered this question, but when it comes to the MDR, and especially dressing up for "formal night," my 3 sons and wives and the rest of us will be DRESSED UP, whether anyone else likes it or not! As someone said, thank God for the formal pictures that made us look like we WORKED at getting dress.

Frankly no one will care how “dressed” up any one is, have at it if that makes you and your sons/wives feel good, nothing wrong with that.  Not my thing though, khakis, shorts, polo, untucked collared shirt, I’m that guy.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, beshears said:

Same here.   but , On the other side.   
I payed just as much as the next guy to be on the ship and I’m going to wear what I feel comfortable in.  I’m on vacation. 
20+ years at UPS and I just don’t like wearing pants.   
If you are offended that’s on you.   
I was born and raised to respect my my elders, my country and our flag. 
but that doesn’t change by the clothes I wear.  
if you want to get dressed up. Please go right ahead.  I get it.  And I’m more than happy to stop what I’m doing and take a picture of you in your formal wear.  
But I’ll wear what makes me comfortable while I’m on vacation.  

my last cruise. On formal night(see pic).  I walked up to a big table with a group of 8. There was a gentleman in a Generals uniform and his son sitting next to him in his uniform (forget his rank). 
I went to thank them for their service and shake their hands.  
And they all really enjoyed my attire. All the guys said man I wish we could wear that.  But the wives would kill us.  Lolol.   

flame on lol.   

E806D113-CA4B-45F9-8099-20760E31F538.png

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Frankly no one will care how “dressed” up any one is, have at it if that makes you and your sons/wives feel good, nothing wrong with that.  Not my thing though, khakis, shorts, polo, untucked collared shirt, I’m that guy.

Yep.  And if the dominant majority of customers wanted it to be formal,

roayal would enforce a dress code like years ago.  For better or worse, people don’t want formal anymore and they don’t want to spend thousands to be to told you have to dress up in a suit. Heck, seemingly half or more of bankers and lawyers dress casual for work and most of corporate America is casual.  Things changed a while ago.  To each their own. In the last many years I haven’t felt over dressed in a suit or under dress in shots and a nice shirt.  There are plenty of both in Royal ships.  

• Like 1

We go to upscale restaurants where shorts are rarely seen even on hundred degrees days in Dallas, prefer old days when if you wanted to wear shorts you had dinner in windjammer, but rccl caters to families that eat in fast food restaurants . I am  sure my age and the fact I have been cruising since the 70’s is part of my reasoning. 

Edited by George C
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Painter4me said:

I’m sure this question has been asked by many wives. Can men wear dress shorts and a polo shirt in the MDR for dinner? I don’t understand why this has to be so difficult in my house!

Yes. No problem. Even on "formal nights", there are men with shorts on in the MDRs,,, not many, but there some with shorts. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

The only people who are bothered and care about what you area wearing.

Are the people on this website.

On the actual ship,

You can wear what you want...........

Exactly.     

1 hour ago, topnole said:

It doesn’t matter to most.  If he is wearing nice shorts and a polo I highly doubt there would be any issue.  

I don’t think there is an actual code anymore other than no bathing suits and tank tops.  Now it is just suggested attired as I recall although I could be wrong on that.    Either way, dressier shorts with a nice shirt isn’t an issue. Perhaps on the suggested formal attire night you will get a few side eyes.  I personally wouldn’t suggest wearing shorts on those nights.   

Yeah I get it on formal nights.  We are on a short itinerary and because we are flying with connecting flights to get to port, we are trying to avoid checking baggage and just carry on.  Plus with the “increased casualness” others have mentioned that is happening in general, he just doesn’t have much in the way of formal attire, I would probably have to buy him new clothes.   The last wedding he was a groomsman in, the groomsman wore jeans, we live in a rural area with no upscale restaurants and even the funeral notices around here suggest casual attire.   If there is a bona fide formal night on our short itinerary we may just opt for one of the casual eateries.  I will enjoy seeing all the people on the ship who elect to dress up though just as when we go to Vegas I always love seeing the wedding parties all decked out 🙂.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PriceIsRight473 said:

Yeah I get it on formal nights.  We are on a short itinerary and because we are flying with connecting flights to get to port, we are trying to avoid checking baggage and just carry on.  Plus with the “increased casualness” others have mentioned that is happening in general, he just doesn’t have much in the way of formal attire, I would probably have to buy him new clothes.   The last wedding he was a groomsman in, the groomsman wore jeans, we live in a rural area with no upscale restaurants and even the funeral notices around here suggest casual attire.   If there is a bona fide formal night on our short itinerary we may just opt for one of the casual eateries.  I will enjoy seeing all the people on the ship who elect to dress up though just as when we go to Vegas I always love seeing the wedding parties all decked out 🙂.

No need to go to other venues to eat you will be just fine in the MDR.  
enjoy your cruise 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, matj2000 said:

The only people who are bothered and care about what you area wearing.

Are the people on this website.

On the actual ship,

You can wear what you want...........

Plenty of us on this website couldn't care any less either.

• Like 1