Has anyone had a positive pre-cruise COVID test? What did you do?

CruiseRQA

Sailing the Apex in January and we have everything organized except the packing.   We sail on Saturday and so will do our pre-cruise COVID test on Thursday before flying to FL on Friday.   Of course my assumption has been that that is a mere formality - we are both vaccinated and boosted.

But what if, on Thursday, the test is positive?   Anyone here have that experience?   What do you do?  Call Celebrity and tell them?   Has Celebrity been responsive?   My initial thought was to fly to FL anyway since we already have the week off but it wouldn't be smart to get on an airplane 1 day after a positive COVID test even if asymptomatic.  

3 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Sailing the Apex in January and we have everything organized except the packing.   We sail on Saturday and so will do our pre-cruise COVID test on Thursday before flying to FL on Friday.   Of course my assumption has been that that is a mere formality - we are both vaccinated and boosted.

But what if, on Thursday, the test is positive?   Anyone here have that experience?   What do you do?  Call Celebrity and tell them?   Has Celebrity been responsive?   My initial thought was to fly to FL anyway since we already have the week off but it wouldn't be smart to get on an airplane 1 day after a positive COVID test even if asymptomatic.  

I keep asking here this same question to see if anybody has been through this.  But the scenario is that you fly to FL and test positive after you get there but before you leave for the cruise terminal for boarding the ship.

If you took the rapid antigen test and it came up positive, I'd start by getting a PCR test to confirm the positive result.  Some places can get the results faster than others.  For example, my local area has a walk-in clinic that is part of the local hospital.  All of their PCR tests are actually processed at the hospital in the lab.  They get results in about 6 hours most of the time, depending on when you acutally have the test.

If the PCR test is negative, then the likelihood of the antigen test being a false-positive is fairly high.  If the PCR test is positive, then you need to stay home and quarantine.  

At that point, you call Celebrity and tell them you have a positive test result and they will discuss your options with you, which may include a cash refund.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

If you took the rapid antigen test and it came up positive, I'd start by getting a PCR test to confirm the positive result.  Some places can get the results faster than others.  For example, my local area has a walk-in clinic that is part of the local hospital.  All of their PCR tests are actually processed at the hospital in the lab.  They get results in about 6 hours most of the time, depending on when you acutally have the test.

If the PCR test is negative, then the likelihood of the antigen test being a false-positive is fairly high.  If the PCR test is positive, then you need to stay home and quarantine.  

At that point, you call Celebrity and tell them you have a positive test result and they will discuss your options with you, which may include a cash refund.

You don't have to get a PCR test for all of the above to be true. We have people test regularly for work and the health department has a hard line stance that a positive test is a positive test and isn't negated by a negative test. I don't think Celebrity would be pleased to find out you boarded after receiving a positive test under any circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

If the PCR test is negative, then the likelihood of the antigen test being a false-positive is fairly high.

You still can't get on a cruise ship though. Once you tested positive, it's game over for your cruise.

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

You still can't get on a cruise ship though. Once you tested positive, it's game over for your cruise.

Indeed, the Celebrity health questionnaire that you fill out the day before boarding asks if you’ve tested positive within the past ten days (used to say 14). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I keep asking here this same question to see if anybody has been through this.  But the scenario is that you fly to FL and test positive after you get there but before you leave for the cruise terminal for boarding the ship.

In your scenario you’d be better off to test before you flew to Fl..unless you’re planning to stay for a few days before boarding. Then you’re def taking chances. 

If I were going on a cruise in the next 60 days I’d be self isolating for 2 weeks prior to sailing and wear an N95 and gloves from my home to the ship and all points in between. 
I’d be a paranoid bubble boy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

While not an answer to the OP's question.   You could take one of the non-proctored tests a week before the actual test to reduce your anxiety and also do a practice test for the process.    I did just that and I really relieved our worrying about testing last minute.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Jim_Iain. As I’ve posted before, my wife and I taught a class with about 20 that ended a month prior to our cruise. We took a test right after classes ended and cut back on joining any groups up to the cruise.

wanted to cut down the chances of facing cancellations just prior to the cruise. loved the cruise and felt it was safer than back home. 

den 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ORV said:

Maybe we could stop beating up on the OP for saying something that was only a knee jerk reaction thought. 

Does anyone actually have an answer to the question? 

Some of us consider it a 'rite of passage'.... LOL

The poster does understand, I Am sure they have read similar responses to other posts....

bon voyage

21 hours ago, ORV said:

Maybe we could stop beating up on the OP for saying something that was only a knee jerk reaction thought. 

Does anyone actually have an answer to the question? 

Thanks ORV.

I generally cruise about once a year as an escape from the midwestern winter.     I start pursuing CC for a few months before my cruise and a few weeks after.   I have been doing this for about a decade.   Sadly it seems that like many boards,  CC has become more snarky as people look for the bad or  for for a reason to criticize rather than being helpful. 

As I mentioned in my OP,  my assumption has been that my pre-cruise COVID test will be negative.   It recently dawned on me that there is a small chance it could be positive.  What to do then?   For a brief millisecond, I thought as we already have the time off and plane tickets perhaps just go to FL anyway.   After 2 milliseconds passed I realized that wasn't  the thing to do.   

I was really more looking for people's experiences with this situation as to the ease of notifying Celebrity and how they responded, etc.  

Thank you to those posters who answered with some helpful ideas and experiences.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While not an answer to the OP's question.   You could take one of the non-proctored tests a week before the actual test to reduce your anxiety and also do a practice test for the process.    I did just that and I really relieved our worrying about testing last minute.

We did that for a recent Silversea cruise since they only test at the pier (no prior negative test considered, no matter how recent). We wanted to minimize the chances of an unpleasant surprise. 

On 12/16/2021 at 8:56 AM, CruiseRQA said:

At least on Delta and probably all US airlines you would need to lie to board the aircraft.  Prior to issuing your boarding pass Delta requires that you attest that you have not been exposed to Covid or tested positive in the last 10 days.  I would hope that you would be truthful when checking in for your flight.  This would preclude you flying to Florida for a vacation.

Just now, Ipeeinthepools said:

At least on Delta and probably all US airlines you would need to lie to board the aircraft.  Prior to issuing your boarding pass Delta requires that you attest that you have not been exposed to Covid or tested positive in the last 10 days.  I would hope that you would be truthful when checking in for your flight.  This would preclude you flying to Florida for a vacation.

JetBlue does the same via an email attestation, which I truthfully answered.  They also said to be prepared to show your vaccine card.  I flew from Logan on Nov 23, not once was I asked to show the card.  I'll be flying home, also on JetBlue, on Dec 27, I wonder if this will now change due to Omicron.

12 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

JetBlue does the same via an email attestation, which I truthfully answered.  They also said to be prepared to show your vaccine card.  I flew from Logan on Nov 23, not once was I asked to show the card.  I'll be flying home, also on JetBlue, on Dec 27, I wonder if this will now change due to Omicron.

I'm not sure if Jet Blue is the same but vaccination status for Delta only becomes an issue if you contract a breakthrough Case of Covid.  If you are vaccinated you are vaccinated you can fly when you are symptom free.  If you're not vaccinated I think there's a longer wait.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

On 12/16/2021 at 8:56 AM, CruiseRQA said:

But what if, on Thursday, the test is positive?   Anyone here have that experience?   What do you do?  Call Celebrity and tell them? 

Since no one seemed to answer your question... and I have NOT had the experience, but thought I'd try.  I would contact Celebrity first thing and let them know... you are protected and also may be protected under any cruise insurance.  Anyway, according to the Celebrity Website:

"Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**"

We fly to any port and if we were to arrive and then test positive  but not have symptoms or feel ill, I guess we would extend our hotel stay and quarantine in the room for a few days and then get retested with a PCR test.  

I'm not sure if we could rent a car and drive home, but would drive home if we could.

14 hours ago, jelayne said:

We fly to any port and if we were to arrive and then test positive  but not have symptoms or feel ill, I guess we would extend our hotel stay and quarantine in the room for a few days and then get retested with a PCR test.  

I'm not sure if we could rent a car and drive home, but would drive home if we could.

I too would try to drive home if possible because most hotels do not have room service, which means you would still have to go out and bring back food.  No good options really.