Anyone know if there is a reason for limited capacity sailings?

chamima

1 hour ago, chamima said:

I keep reading about ships sailing 40% - 50% full but wondered if there was a government mandated or cruiseline mandated capacity limit or if that was just the current demand level?

Anyone have any facts?

social distancing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chamima said:

I keep reading about ships sailing 40% - 50% full but wondered if there was a government mandated or cruiseline mandated capacity limit or if that was just the current demand level?

Anyone have any facts?

Not enough customers booking the voyages.

• Like 3

Many people are still just very leery of cruising right now...especially with various mask mandates both on and off the ships.  We've been on 3 since the restart.  It's been really nice having smaller capacities but along with that comes (somewhat) limited on-board activities.  And...nobody *likes* having to wear a mask but like during most of 2020...you just kinda get used to it.  If wearing a mask means I can cruise...I'll do it!

• Like 5

Does the CDC set the occupancy levels during COVID?  Can't find anything on the site.  Just wondering if the number of passengers will increase by August (next cruise we have booked).  Maybe the cruise lines are dictating a timeline for increasing passenger numbers.

8 minutes ago, smwp said:

Does the CDC set the occupancy levels during COVID?  Can't find anything on the site.  Just wondering if the number of passengers will increase by August (next cruise we have booked).  Maybe the cruise lines are dictating a timeline for increasing passenger numbers.

The feeling I got was that they are very slowly trying ramp up to full capacity. 

• Like 2

I’m on the Majestic right now and it’s sailing at about 40% (1540 passengers). However, I have heard of Carnival ships sailing at closer to 80% capacity. Perhaps Princess is trying to protect the price integrity of their product and aren’t slashing fares to fill their ships like some other lines? Or, perhaps they’re just being cautious as they received the worst press coverage at the start of the pandemic that even resulted in a documentary, The Last Cruise. 

• Like 2

Lack of demand would be the reason for the very low occupancy numbers. Once you get close to higher demand, the only thing keeping it from 100% would be that some cabins, or actually a section of cabins, would be set aside for possible quarantines.

The cruise lines do have a maximum capacity % in mind right now but demand isn’t nearing it so they don’t have to enforce it. We have a cruise booked in March on another line and they currently (well, in August) can’t book it more than 50% full. But again it’s a moot point. Demand isn’t anywhere near any cruise line imposed limitation.

They need to have a certain number of cabins available for their quarantine zones, for both passengers and crew. Personally I LOVE the smaller capacity. Personalization from cree has been outstanding. I call it my own little private yatch. I be been on and will be emabrking on my 4th cruise on princess since their restart. 

Edited by Jeter02

2 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Until the CSO order is repealed they are required to have a certain percentage of cabins available for isolation of passengers and crew.   The current CSO does not expire until mid-March.  

The CSO actually expires in mid-January but I think we can reasonably expect it to be extended beyond that date.  https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-cruiseships.html

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 2

This is an interesting thread as I’ve never really thought about it much until now and assumed ships sailed with less passengers because of the cruise line limitations

However as I read the posts, I’m convinced that it’s more about limited passengers wanting to cruise and if more wanted to cruise, the ships would be fuller

I’m very much looking forward to our January cruise and not having massive crowds to deal with

I think some people are worried about being able to get back home (on time). With real examples of people not being able to disembark because of an outbreak, and constantly changing government requirements, etc. I think this is a real concern of some folks. Or the risk of being put off the ship in some random port because one get's sick, etc. etc. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smwp said:

I read the Carnival Ceo Arnold said they should be up to 75% capacity by June.  Slowly ramping up. 

9 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Their last published stance is that they will book to 100% capacity.  Not sure if that will change given current events.  https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26429-princess-fleet-update-latest-restart-dates-and-plans.html

I didn't see anywhere in that article the "stance is that they will book to 100% capacity."  I interpreted the "capacity at 100%" number being just a statistic for informational purposes and not an indication that Princess intends to book at 100% any time soon.

• Like 1

Princess suffered the most publicity and issue back the first part of last year when the Diamond in particular had serious COVID-19 issues with many sick as did other Princess ships.  I would imagine that Princess does not want to repeat that fiasco and therefore is cautious in attempting to fill their ships.  At the same time the cruising public is also cautious about the pandemic and hesitant to get on a cruise ship anytime soon.  With the newest Omicron variant now widespread I do not believe it is making the masses wanting to sail again.  When it will all be over and the cruise ships will be back to 100% capacity remains to be seen.  I don't think the cruising public will be any too quick to quickly embrace the cruising options. 

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Lack of demand would be the reason for the very low occupancy numbers.

And a number of loyal Princess cruisers have posted they will not cruise with Princess again until the app required for pre-cruise use actually works and/or they can call Princess and not have to wait on hold for hours to reach someone.

3 minutes ago, cruisinnorth said:

Hi All,

We are sailing on the Sky Princess on January 15th and 22nd.  We are wondering if there is a limit to how full Princess ships can sail.  Or, are they sailing full.  We would appreciate any information… thanks.

Dave and Susan

Last story I read says they can sail at 100 percent capacity.  Just off Majestic and we only had around 1300 guests.    Bookings have been low, so far. 

Edited by waltd
  • Like 1

If you go to the Princess website and do a booking for your cruise you can get a idea how many cabins on your cruise are still available. On my cruise in January over 50% of the cabins are still available.  According to my PVP as W said above they have no restrictions if they can sell the cabins.

Edited by franktown
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, franktown said:

If you go to the Princess website and do a booking for your cruise you can get a idea how many cabins on your cruise are still available. On my cruise in January over 50% of the cabins are still available.  According to my PVP as W said above they have no restrictions if they can sell the cabins.

Not sure if you can tell what the occupancy level is by that method. What about those passengers who are only allocated cabins immediately prior to the cruise ? The cruise might be sailing at  90% capacity, but 30% of the pax may be awaiting cabin allocation.  

• Like 1