Anyone on Apex now?

misslab

41 minutes ago, clojacks said:

Nice to see you guys having a laugh at Celebritys attempt to keep you and your fellow Cruisers safe.

Now I thought it was amusing, even though I’ll be taking the measures very seriously!  Our masks are medical grade and will be worn at all times (and covering noses) when indoors, apart from when eating and drinking obviously. I took the remarks to be light-hearted and nothing more.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Now I thought it was amusing, even though I’ll be taking the measures very seriously!  Our masks are medical grade and will be worn at all times (and covering noses) when indoors, apart from when eating and drinking obviously. I took the remarks to be light-hearted and nothing more.

We're on the Jan 15th sailing.  During covid we've had regular masks but I'm thinking about getting medical grade for this trip.  Which kind do you have and where did you buy them?  Thanks for your feedback. 

23 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

We're on the Jan 15th sailing.  During covid we've had regular masks but I'm thinking about getting medical grade for this trip.  Which kind do you have and where did you buy them?  Thanks for your feedback. 

Mostly online.  N95.  KN95 hard for many to breathe thru

Head waiter in Blu restaurant says 150 people in Aquaclass cabins, which normally should have 300, so approx 50% capacity.

Not very scientific, but gives us an idea.

Also, walking down our 9th deck towards the elevators/stairs, we saw alot of key envelopes still unopened & still in the doorway slot, so maybe lots of no-shows onboard on this embarkation day...

2 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Also, walking down our 9th deck towards the elevators/stairs, we saw alot of key envelopes still unopened & still in the doorway slot, so maybe lots of no-shows onboard on this embarkation day...

I wonder if they canceled in time and Celebrity had the cards etc already in preparation OR if they were not allowed to board due to missing documents, positive tests etc.

On our Apex sailing (11th December) we had 30% capacity. Went to blu between 8-8.30pm (just as on all other cruises) and there were only few tables occupied. Guess everybody upgraded to Suite class (which was $1000 pP for us and therefor to much).

Is assistant waitress Sabitri still there? If so, say hello to her from Ingo and Lydia please :-) She is sooo nice and cute, we love her!

Edited by UniPac
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Same as the previous poster, N95 but also FFP2, both bought online.

7 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Available on Amazon I always put a 4/5 rating required to get better quality

Does anyone who just disembarked have any totals on the number of cases from their sailing?  We depart on the 15th and so far plan to go as it sees the Apex doesn't seem to have a very large number of cases.  Based on reports of many keys still in their slots it sounds like a lot  of people are cancelling which should make for an emptier ship.  All the better to make it safe. 

WhiteSoxFan - we disembarked yesterday. Because we often couldn't hear the Captain's morning announcement, I have no idea how many "official" cases there were, although because we waited til last call to disembark, I can say that we saw multiple black cars parked at a separate entrance right on the dock, with people being disembarked by medical personnel in hazmat gear.  I would bet there were more "unofficial" cases, as we noticed one visibly sick individual on the Retreat sundeck with fulminant cough (no mask of course) just hanging out with the family.  Very, very few people were masking indoors.  Celebrity is trying, but they're not getting much help from the passengers.  Risk assessment is a very personal choice.  If you're willing to spin the wheel and hope for the best, go for it.  But if you are not willing to risk being sick on your vacation and possibly being quarantined on deck 3 with a porthole, I really would wait.  We isolated to the extent possible, ate outdoors whenever possible and wore KN 95s religiously indoors.  It was not relaxing, nor did it feel safe.  The airport situation, though, was far worse.  Lots of unmasked clearly sick people hacking and coughing in close proximity.  We tested negative this morning, so we likely didn't catch anything on the ship, but will test again in a couple of days.  If positive then, I'll be convinced the FLL airport experience is to blame.  

Would we have gone if I knew how anxiety-producing the cruise would be?  No, sadly.  Did everyone on crew do everything possible to give us a great cruise? Yes.  But this is truly beyond Celebrity's control.  

• Thanks 1

I still can't believe Celebrity isn't requiring masks at all times and that so many people are so cavalier about it.  

It's a small concession to wear a mask, for self protection and well as for others. It never ceases to amaze me how selfish some people are.

If the numbers keep going up, CDC could eventually ban cruising once again and we'd all be losers.  

• Like 1

To Celebrity’s credit, they wanted to have a no mask policy to provide a better cruise experience since they require vaccine for those eligible then Omicron came.  It is difficult to switch course from the enforcement perspective and also getting cruisers to change their behavior once again.  It is easy for them to put up signs to say mask required, but they rely on the same people that make a living on tips and their job performance is tied to a survey at the end of cruise.  So if they kept on asking someone to put their mask on what you do think their survey result is going to be?  The worst part is the surveyor can put whatever they want and not mention mask enforcement is tied to the low score and Celebrity would not know the difference.  If they want to enforce the mask rules then they need to have security roam around the ship and enforce that since they don’t rely on tips and most likely not impacted by the survey response.  To depend on the waiter / bar server / active guest facing employees  to ask you to put your mask on constantly is unfair to the tip/survey dependent staff.  Of course we are adults and should be following the rules to begin with since they are doing what they can to keep us healthy.

• Like 5

Right now, on the Celebrity App, under the Health button, Face masks, it says:

Onboard: All guests 2 and older must wear face masks indoors, unless in their stateroom or actively eating or drinking.

Sounds like it is now fleet wide policy.

This photo was taken when disembarking Apex yesterday morning at around 930 am.

We had a great time. However, we became concerned with the lack of transparency re: the onboard COVID situation. To our knowledge, only one related announcement (12/31) was made all week.

After sailing 8 times since July 2021, we made the decision to cancel our 3 scheduled cruises later this month. We will reassess in February and after the predicted Omicron peak in late January.

IMG_5076.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

To Celebrity’s credit, they wanted to have a no mask policy to provide a better cruise experience since they require vaccine for those eligible then Omicron came.  It is difficult to switch course from the enforcement perspective and also getting cruisers to change their behavior once again.  It is easy for them to put up signs to say mask required, but they rely on the same people that make a living on tips and their job performance is tied to a survey at the end of cruise.  So if they kept on asking someone to put their mask on what you do think their survey result is going to be?  The worst part is the surveyor can put whatever they want and not mention mask enforcement is tied to the low score and Celebrity would not know the difference.  If they want to enforce the mask rules then they need to have security roam around the ship and enforce that since they don’t rely on tips and most likely not impacted by the survey response.  To depend on the waiter / bar server / active guest facing employees  to ask you to put your mask on constantly is unfair to the tip/survey dependent staff.  Of course we are adults and should be following the rules to begin with since they are doing what they can to keep us healthy.

I guess your last sentence encapsulates my entire point.  I understand completely your other points.  The crew is in a no-win situation there.  

2 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

I still can't believe Celebrity isn't requiring masks at all times and that so many people are so cavalier about it.  

It's a small concession to wear a mask, for self protection and well as for others. It never ceases to amaze me how selfish some people are.

If the numbers keep going up, CDC could eventually ban cruising once again and we'd all be losers.  

People make choices.    Being fully vaccinated and respectful of others I choose not to wear a mask.      So I won’t cruise until the mandate is lifted.    There are good reasons people don’t wear masks as well as good reasons people decide to wear masks.   Just my opinion.     

• Like 3

Is Grand Cayman still one of the stops?  I received information that Key West was cancelled and now going to Costa Maya Mexico but nothing on Grand Cayman as some travelers have said.  Going on Feb. 5.

15 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Head waiter in Blu restaurant says 150 people in Aquaclass cabins, which normally should have 300, so approx 50% capacity.

Not very scientific, but gives us an idea.

Could be a good way to move up with no cost.   Remove the card, move in and start using that card.  Use the SBC on the card in the slots.   NOT 

You would think that the attendants would remove the cards once the ship starts to sail. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

Actually, as of Jan 1, our hometown of  Houston has 22.1% positivity rate, 303442 of 1371880 tested.  Safer to be on 1% cruise ship where 100% of crew & 100% of passengers 12 & up are vaccinated , & tested negative as of 2 days prior to embarkation...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Actually, as of Jan 1, our hometown of  Houston has 22.1% positivity rate, 303442 of 1371880 tested.  Safer to be on 1% cruise ship where 100% of crew & 100% of passengers 12 & up are vaccinated , & tested negative as of 2 days prior to embarkation...

Whilst I was on a cruise myself in December and had a fabalous time, that is just numbers.If you decide to eat at home, wear a FFP2/KN95... mask during supermarket time and don't mingle with others you will be safer than on a ship - except if you stay in your cabin all time 🙂 Just because lots of people share the same places every day and night on a ship.

Another point is that if you test positive on a cruise ship, you will be moved to a cabin in the red zone (quarantine), often without balcony and maybe to a shaby hotel afterwards. What I have read here and on facebook doesn't sound like something I want to experience. Self-isolation at home sounds better to me. So whilst I am not too concerend about a positive (omicron) test during cruising, I fear being quarantined instead in a tiny cabin. If cruise lines would do some marketing on that (e.g. guarantee a balcony, a 4+ star hotel etc.) I bet there would be less cancellations as I think it has much to do with the fear raised by the stories of quarantined people.

However, this is just my 2 cents 🙂

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Cherber said:

Is Grand Cayman still one of the stops?  I received information that Key West was cancelled and now going to Costa Maya Mexico but nothing on Grand Cayman as some travelers have said.  Going on Feb. 5.

On my cruise in december, Key West was replaced by a sea day and Grand Cayman by Nassau. However, this was a 10-day cruise, so Costa Maya was already on the itinerary.

Afaik Grand Cayman currently only allows cruise ships to dock if it is the first stop after leaving U.S.

As Apex has others stops before, my guess would be that GC would be replaced by a sea day and the last sea day would be a stop at Nassau.