Testing - Now What?

teacherman

When the testing requirement began a few months ago, it seemed an "easy" hurdle to overcome.  Many of us (like me) live in areas that have many testing sites available.  All we had to do was go on-line and make an appointment for 2 days before the cruise.  For those who did not have these opportunities, the cruise lines gave us contact sites where we could buy a self-administered test and we would have it shipped to us within several days.  Not now.  It is very difficult to schedule a test where I live.  There are a few places where you can stand in line in the cold for a few hours, but not easy to do.  And now, with millions of people wanting to be tested, I am also seeing reports on CC of people who ordered the tests and find out that after a week, or more, the tests have not even been shipped.  Some people have gone to Florida a week early and can't find a testing opportunity.  Just like with the new CDC quarantine guidelines, things are rapidly changing.  Is the time coming when if we are fully vaxxed and boosted, we may not have to present a test (which may be highly inaccurate anyway)?  Or, will they start to test people at the pier, as they did at the beginning?  It would seem that something is going to have to change.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a minor blip in the process because of the holiday and the speed of transmission of Omicron.  I think after next week testing and test availability will get back to normal.  I know of people who got tested "just because".  They had not been around anyone but they just wanted to know.  In my area, if I want an appointment a week out I can get them at CVS.

• Like 2

It's almost impossible if you sail on a Monday with the previous Saturday being a holiday and venues closed or fully booked on Sunday.  I'm hoping for a clinic to do this for me; if not, I will cancel and use the credits for another cruise that DOES NOT  sail on a Monday!!  Fingers   crossed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, dateacher said:

I think this is a minor blip in the process because of the holiday and the speed of transmission of Omicron.  I think after next week testing and test availability will get back to normal.  I know of people who got tested "just because".  They had not been around anyone but they just wanted to know.  In my area, if I want an appointment a week out I can get them at CVS.

According to the US government, there will be 500 million at home (free) tests available to everybody in January sometime. And a website.   This will not be a substitute for the proctored tests needed for cruising but it will help the testing burden overall.

19 minutes ago, esther e said:

It's almost impossible if you sail on a Monday with the previous Saturday being a holiday and venues closed or fully booked on Sunday.  I'm hoping for a clinic to do this for me; if not, I will cancel and use the credits for another cruise that DOES NOT  sail on a Monday!!  Fingers   crossed.

Best of luck!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pilot said:

I ordered my 6 test kits from eMed on December 20 and they were delivered on December 22.

Great service!!

This people, do this…if you can post on Cruise Critic, you can easily do the at home proctored test..it’s a no brainer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I have not seen major problems reported with the emed tests ordered from optum or emed.com.  It's been reported that the tests being shipped from emed.com have expiry late next year.  Don't wait until the last minute to order.

Just got some from eMed.  expiry date is at the end of 10/22

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, kabmab said:

We're in FL, sailing out of Tampa Mon. 1/3.  Found out our County testing site is closed 1/1-1/2, so ordered from Optum and rcvd in 3 business days, also have backup appts for the two of us at Walgreens 1/2.

If you are in Bradenton that state site is now open 1/1 and 1/2. 

Edited by cbfb
Error

6 hours ago, teacherman said:

When the testing requirement began a few months ago, it seemed an "easy" hurdle to overcome.  Many of us (like me) live in areas that have many testing sites available.  All we had to do was go on-line and make an appointment for 2 days before the cruise.  For those who did not have these opportunities, the cruise lines gave us contact sites where we could buy a self-administered test and we would have it shipped to us within several days.  Not now.  It is very difficult to schedule a test where I live.  There are a few places where you can stand in line in the cold for a few hours, but not easy to do.  And now, with millions of people wanting to be tested, I am also seeing reports on CC of people who ordered the tests and find out that after a week, or more, the tests have not even been shipped.  Some people have gone to Florida a week early and can't find a testing opportunity.  Just like with the new CDC quarantine guidelines, things are rapidly changing.  Is the time coming when if we are fully vaxxed and boosted, we may not have to present a test (which may be highly inaccurate anyway)?  Or, will they start to test people at the pier, as they did at the beginning?  It would seem that something is going to have to change.

Would be so much easier to just pay for a test at the port if it was available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Firepath said:

Would be so much easier to just pay for a test at the port if it was available.

I agree but how long are you willing to be in the terminal for check in while they do tests?

Just bit the bullet and ordered the  Optum at home for Celebrity test. Ordered the 3 for $99 to have spare in case of difficulty.

Hate to pay for it when free tests may be available. But right now they are not.

Small price when taken in the context of the price of the cruise.

YMMV

Edited by Croooser
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

According to the US government, there will be 500 million at home (free) tests available to everybody in January sometime. And a website.   This will not be a substitute for the proctored tests needed for cruising but it will help the testing burden overall.

I don’t want to spark a political discussion, but I will believe that when I see it - the 31st is still January I guess. They threw Abbott under the bus once, albeit after pumping several millions into the company, I guess it’s ok to do that again,

13 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I don’t want to spark a political discussion, but I will believe that when I see it - the 31st is still January I guess. They threw Abbott under the bus once, albeit after pumping several millions into the company, I guess it’s ok to do that again,

No politics here intended in my remarks.  But I should have said that the media and government reports indicate that we will start to see these free tests in January and at least hopefully we will see the website set up and activated for ordering them.  As this gets going no matter the timeframe, it should take some of the pressure off the local test centers where people can get their rapid tests for their cruises and travel.  OK so sometimes on rare occasion,  I am an optimist!