Covid tests

dw64

On 11/4/2021 at 4:57 PM, Cabernetlover said:

Does anyone know if there will be BinaxNOW kits for use after Dec. 12?    We are scheduled for a Jan. 6 departure.  I haven't been able to find anywhere to get test results back within 2 days around here, so am depending on BinaxNOW.   I also hate to be dealing with the mail during the holiday season, so would like to order sooner rather than later....

The ones available today are good through 12/23/21.

3 hours ago, jkrislc said:

The ones available today are good through 12/23/21.

I just received one that is only good through 12/8/21 and that is with the three month extension.  They sent me a survey and I was polite but expressed my concern with the test kits already being expired and having such a short extension.  Without asking for a refund, they offered it to me.  I was a bit surprised but absolutely the right thing to do.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From the Prncess FAQ section:

We strongly recommend all guests take a viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive test result on the day of embarkation.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a 2-day turnaround. Accordingly, for fully vaccinated guests on voyages departing from Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles or San Francisco through January 9, 2022 we will be able to provide a limited number of antigen tests at a cost of $100 per person charged to guests’ shipboard stateroom account. Reservations are required and may be made up to 10 days in advance and testing will take place on embarkation day at the cruise terminal. Test appointments are subject to capacity restrictions and reservations are required. Visit the DocGo website for more information^.

For fully vaccinated guests that can show proof of testing within the 2-day window but did not receive their test results back in time, we have mobile testing sites as a back-up near our embarkation ports to conduct COVID-19 testing on the day of your cruise departure. On-site providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier.

In accordance with CDC protocols, guests who test positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside, and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, traveling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

1 hour ago, SVBing said:

Given high demand of Covid test can’t get in time for cruise. Can the cruise line provide at the port? For a fee?

Where are you sailing, and when? 

If ft Lauderdale, there's loads of places to get tested, including self-tests, which would be easiest. Lab Doctor's is just a few blocks from port.  BeeperMD comes to you. Fast Labs, MDNow, Urgent Care, airport, Broward County Covid testing website has lots of places, self-test, etc..

If LA - LA County has testing site website, Urgent Care, BeeperMD, Urgent Care, self-test, airport, pharmacy, etc. 

Both ports have limited testing available as a last resort, at a fee. 

On 11/4/2021 at 10:48 AM, Whippet69 said:

Steps/suggestions for using the BinaxNOW home kit. 

1) Purchase the RX kits NOT the OTC type.

We got ours from EMed - available in two and six packs.  They are registered to individuals at purchase.

The six pack can be registered to up to three individuals. Cost is $25/test plus S&H 

2) Download the NAVICA app and create accounts for each person who will be using the tests.

3) Login to EMed when ready to take the test.

-You must be set up so they can see you and the test kit so have a flat surface within your device camera range.

- You will need personal identification available for them to view

- Wash and dry your hands before starting

- They will ask you to enter your NAVICA login information. (EMed does the proctoring and reports the results to you on the NAVICA app and by email.) 

-  Once all other questions are answered and you click that you are ready, a proctor comes on.  We were each "Next in line" but some people report a short wait before starting.

4) Answer the proctors questions about your identification and they will have you hold up your ID for verification  Then you will open the test kit and hold up the card so they can scan the barcode to be sure it has been previously registered to you. Follow their directions for applying drops to test well, swabbing your nose and inserting swab into kit. Close the kit cover and the clock starts.  You do not have to be in camera sight but Do Not move the kit.

5) In 15 minutes an "alarm" sounds and you check back in.  The kit is held up for scanning/reading

and they will then ask you to verify which bar/s you see.  Results are immediately reported to the NAVICA app.

There are Youtube videos available which show all this but this is it in a nutshell.  Easy once you know what's involved.

Is Emed just like Zoom where you are connected to their medical staff ?

What is Emed and does one need to register before the test in Emed ?

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Is Emed just like Zoom where you are connected to their medical staff ?

What is Emed and does one need to register before the test in Emed ?

Emed is one of the vendors you can order tests from and they also have a place on their website where you click that you are ready to take a test and they connect you to a proctor who administers/ observes the test via your devices camera and audio.

I created an account on Emed when I ordered my tests.  I also then downloaded the NAVICA app and created an account on that app ( as instructed by Emed).  Results were sent immediately after my test. The results went to my email and available in the NAVICA app. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Emed is one of the vendors you can order tests from and they also have a place on their website where you click that you are ready to take a test and they connect you to a proctor who administers/ observes the test via your devices camera and audio.

I created an account on Emed when I ordered my tests.  I also then downloaded the NAVICA app and created an account on that app ( as instructed by Emed).  Results were sent immediately after my test. The results went to my email and available in the NAVICA app. 

Ok thanks.  Actually I ordered mine through Optum store so Emed might work for me

@SVBingnot sure when you sail but if you have enough time you could order home tests through Optum or Emed.  

Also many of the airports have travel test sites (which test for a fee). Some allow you to make appointments ( the one at our airport does) that may be worth checking into. 

4 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I ordered 3 self tests tests from Optum using the link on the Princess website yesterday. They are scheduled for delivery today. 

I ordered tests from Optum, and their confirmation e-mail said I would have them by " end of day" today.  11 PM now and Fed Ex tracking shows they are still stuck in Memphis as of 7AM today.  I'm glad I ordered them when I did - I don't need them until January 24th...

You can get tested at the Fort Lauderdale Airport and many other areas as reported above.   Also, the Rodeway Inn by the airport and cruise port had a test site in the parking lot in November and also December.  So you could try calling them to see if this is still there.  

I did not walk over and check it out as we had tested negative at a local urgent care center, which is another option for you to try.

So I have a stupid random question: I just today bought a two pack of tests from Optum. It had me enter my name, birthdate, etc. 

Question is, can I use one and my husband use the other or are they both “assigned” to me? 
When we cruised NCL in October, they provided the testing complimentary, so this is new to me.

thanks for any input! 
Amanda 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baxter68 said:

So I have a stupid random question: I just today bought a two pack of tests from Optum. It had me enter my name, birthdate, etc. 

Question is, can I use one and my husband use the other or are they both “assigned” to me? 
When we cruised NCL in October, they provided the testing complimentary, so this is new to me.

thanks for any input! 
Amanda 

Not a stupid question.  And yes, you can use one, and husband the other.  You both need to set up your own separate accounts though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, SVBing said:

Given high demand of Covid test can’t get in time for cruise. Can the cruise line provide at the port? For a fee?

I got tested at the Port Everglades pier.  Registered through a link on the Princess FAQs and selected an appointment time.  The screen shows how many appointments are available for each time slot.  It was my backup plan, but since I couldn't get any rapid tests two or one day ahead, it worked out well.

$100 and charged to your shipboard account.

From the time I stepped off the shuttle bus to the time I stepped on board, it was an hour and fifteen minutes.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I ordered tests from Optum, and their confirmation e-mail said I would have them by " end of day" today.  11 PM now and Fed Ex tracking shows they are still stuck in Memphis as of 7AM today.  I'm glad I ordered them when I did - I don't need them until January 24th...

We were planning to order Optum tests as well. Princess please place order within 2 weeks of sailing. We sail 2/8, but the mail delivery has been so spotty.  It seems you ordered yours in advance of the 2 weeks prior to sail date - any issues with that?  I would prefer to order mine now (4 weeks ahead) to be safe.  Thank you and Happy Sailing!

On 11/5/2021 at 4:39 AM, TXcruiser13 said:

We are here in FL now and took the tests in our hotel room. The entire process took about 20-25 minutes and was as easy as pie. They have a well-organized online system and it was very easy to follow along. We were both negative and received easy-to-read documentation on the NAVICA app as well as via email. 

cruise time! 

If answered lower on this board, I apologize.  We paid $70 for a 2-pack.  Is that enough for two people to test, or does each person have to pay $70 and test two samples each?

On 11/5/2021 at 6:43 AM, jenndisney said:

We ordered one kit for us to take. But now worried that it only registered to me. I am just confused as the website did not indicate we each had to order. Can anyone here clarify?

Curious what you were able to find out?

I have similar concern.  We paid $70 for a 2-pack.  Is that enough for two people to test, or does each person have to pay $70 and test two samples each?

10 hours ago, Baxter68 said:

thanks for any input! 
Amanda 

Similar concern.  I'm curious what you learn.  We paid $70 for a 2-pack.  Is that enough for two people to test, or does each person have to pay $70 and test two samples each?

I ordered six tests through Emed this week for our cruises in February and March.  Cost for six was $150 (Kaiser reimburses) plus a $30 shipping cost.  Got my tests within 48 hours.

Thought about Optum but stuck with Emed.  Had ordered six tests in October and used all tests on our previous cruises.

4 minutes ago, dweidensaul said:

Similar concern.  I'm curious what you learn.  We paid $70 for a 2-pack.  Is that enough for two people to test, or does each person have to pay $70 and test two samples each?

As I understand it, one pack of two can be used for two different people but each person needs to set up a separate account to get the results.  (Each needs their own e-mail address to do this) Only one sample is needed.

If you make a mistake on one of the two tests, then you'll only be able to get a test done for one person.  They also have a 3 pack for $99 or you could order two 2-packs if you're nervous.

Here's a YouTube video showing the tests actually being done and the guy taking the test makes a mistake on the first try so he needs to use the second test in his pack.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1