The Daily for Saturday 01/08/2022

richwmn

Today is Bubble Bath Day, Male Watcher’s Day, and National JoyGerm Day

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.--Dr. Seuss

Meal Suggestion for today - gnocchi soup
Drink of the Day - Prickly Pink Margarita
Wine of the Day - Two Birds One Stone 2020 Rouge Carignan (Vin de Fr
Destination of the Day - Puerto Chacabuco, Chile

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Statendam Destination Amber Cove, Puerto eta 1/9

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam Destination San Diego CA US eta 1/9

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Rotterdam 08:00 - 15:00

Oranjestad, Aruba Island, Dutch Antilles

Eurodam 13:00 - 23:00

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Zuiderdam 09:00 - 19:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Ionian Sea

Oosterdam Destination Limassol CY eta 1/9

Corfu GR

Volendam

Zaandam

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Noordam

0108World.thumb.png.a2c8f55acd6d31f9e8b9a29332fd027e.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 14

National JoyGerm Day

The goal of the day is to "smile, hug, grin, and win over at least one grumpy grouch." It is a day to spread cheer through "germs of joy." It is a time for positivity, optimism, smiles, and kindness to everyone that one comes into contact with. Some celebrants, often members of Joygerms Unlimited, have gone to nursing homes and hospitals to spread cheer. Parades have also been held on the day. It is not seen as a day to ignore life's problems, but rather, a day to rise above them.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 18
  • Haha 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Thanks for the explanation of JoyGerm Day,  I love it!🙂

Love the quote too.

The meal suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

Prayers for everyone.

It's very cold here, -15C (4F) so Bertie will get a short walk today.  He doesn't seem to mind the cold, but I do.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  After your explanation  JoyGern Day sounds nice but I'll pass on the other two.  I love the Dr. Seuss quote but will pass on the meal.  I think I've been to Puerto Chacabuco but am not sure.  It looks like Nieuw Amsterdam will be reverting to "without passengers" for about 3 weeks.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, healing for Jose and wisdom for his doctors
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation

Marshhawk with new illness and doctor issue
RIP Sidney Poitier
Welfare of furloughed crews
Walker in hospice
1ANGELCAT with finger in splint
Tana in hospital
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
Apparent Nieuw Amsterdam pause in service
From the rotation:
Recovery for StLouisCruisers Niece DH after throat cancer surgery
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice and cancelling cruise
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Oceansaway17
6 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
1 day for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam 1/9 to 1/16)
1 day for sassy~one (Rotterdam 1/9 to 1/29)
Carnival Group  hospital ships Noordam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
summer slope (1/29), Seasick Sailor (1/16), Lindaler, garlictown, Av8rix(Rotterdam to 1/9) at sea
Welcome home Ichiban Nekko
Sharon at 4-star
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 15

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. A beautiful sunrise this morning.

0108220715a.thumb.jpg.bbe6f763cb5ddbac411431d36dda92c4.jpg

I would sure love to spread joy to one grumpy grouch on board. Hoping she disembarks tomorrow to terrorize someone else.🙄

This cruise has been so nice. Getting to meet some Daily-ites and make new friends. It has been healing just getting away from the covid madness. 

Prayers lifted to Roy, Jacqui, Jose, Tana and the rest of those who need them. Hoping Sharon's test is negative this morning.

Have a great weekend. Love, Prayers, blessings, and cheers!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. I am so happy to read that you are easing back into your routine, instead of trying to do too much too soon. Morning Dailyites! Parts of my post keep disappearing when I try to bold or add a pic. Not sure if it is a new gremlin, or just a user error, but I am going to get this posted while I can.

For those of you in the cold regions - watch out for those heated seats…

40930250-B66D-4C26-9D75-FA14048A1BF9.jpeg.4500a1cf1b163911e2b0d810880e9801.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Two Birds One Stone 2020

All released vintages of this red table wine share the same very good ratings and reasonable price. Pick up a bottle to try. Several online distributors with prices starting at $9.75.

Distributor’s Notes

Although this wine is made with the old grape variety Carignan, the vinification was carried out in a modern style. The grapes are destemmed and crushed. Half of the grapes are processed through modern technique of thermovinification and maceration. The other half goes through a traditional maceration process. The fermentation works at a controlled temperature to keep the wine's fruity aromas. The aging is carried out in tanks with a small amount of French oak staves to add more complexity and roundness to the blend. 

Taste: Dense and velvety, intense red berries and a lingering finish 

Pairing: Serve at room temperature with red meat, roasted vegetables, hamburger, and cheeses.

Although this wine is made with the old grape variety Carignan, the vinification was carried out in a modern style. The grapes are destemmed and crushed. Half of the grapes are processed through modern technique of thermovinification and maceration. The other half goes through a traditional maceration process. The fermentation works at a controlled temperature to keep the wine's fruity aromas. The aging is carried out in tanks with a small amount of French oak staves to add more complexity and roundness to the blend. 

Pairing: Serve at room temperature with red meat, roasted vegetables, hamburger, and cheeses.

All released vintages of this red table wine share the same very good rating and very reasonable price. Pick up whatever you find. Several online distributors with prices starting at $9.75.

Distributor’s Notes

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

Good afternoon.

It is 39°F and raining here.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping all the lists up to date.

Pauline likes a bubble bath I'm not too bothered.

Interesting quote although I'm sure all of us know when we are in love.

Looking forward to seeing photos of today's port.

Prayers for everyone on our care list and hopefully Jacqui @kazu can get into hospital to take care of Jose.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend and staying safe 😷

Graham.

Screenshot_20220108_122751.jpg

• Like 31

Good morning everyone. Rich, thanks for the description of today and Roy thank you for keeping our lists. We are getting a new aide today because we are so tired of the way this one doesn’t take care of Sam and how he lies about everything. The aide situation is a terrible problem because non of the agencies have a lot of availability. There just aren’t enough aides here. The one we loved hasn’t returned from Ghana and it’s been since Sept. 1 when she left. They have promised to give her back to us when and if she returns and if she wants to work.

I hate the idea of someone new coming into the house because of covid.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 19
  • Thanks 13

Ladies-

• Jan. 8 is National Man Watcher’s Day, also referred to as Male Watcher's Day. While this special day comes but once a year, this annual "holiday" provides the perfect opportunity to finally turn the tables on our male counterparts! Yep, it’s finally our turn to publicly and proudly admire the male species in all their magnificent glory!
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 16

Even when subdued I like to see a sunrise or even a hint of one.  This is from Crystal Serenity January 8. 2018 on the last morning before entering the Panama Canal towards Los Angeles.

dawn0108.jpg

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Rich, thanks for the description of today and Roy thank you for keeping our lists. We are getting a new aide today because we are so tired of the way this one doesn’t take care of Sam and how he lies about everything. The aide situation is a terrible problem because non of the agencies have a lot of availability. There just aren’t enough aides here. The one we loved hasn’t returned from Ghana and it’s been since Sept. 1 when she left. They have promised to give her back to us when and if she returns and if she wants to work.

I hate the idea of someone new coming into the house because of covid.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

My take is that while this is stressful good riddance to that old aide.  It doesn't seem to me like it could be much worse than him and a change brings me hope.

Roy

• Like 31

Good morning, everyone.   It looks like it will be a beautiful day here, although a bit on the nippy side.  I like the idea of JoyGerm day and will present that to my council during this morning's meeting.  

I think today's meal will be more to the liking of most.  It looks good to me, but I would probably skip it due to the carb content.  I don't do keto, but do have to limit carbs to about 30 per meal.  

Most of the recipes I found were Olive Garden copycats.   https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/olive-garden-chicken-gnocchi-soup/

1571771420_Gnoccisoup.thumb.jpg.ad12ba23a8bb79adf8b715fdf57a2b65.jpg

It looks so good and creamy.  The perfect food for a cold winter's day.   Here is the slow cooker version of the soup:   https://pinchofyum.com/crockpot-chicken-gnocchi-soup

1689680745_Gnoccisoup2.thumb.jpg.2cb979a80088869ea41253a5c4da0055.jpg

While the above two recipes used chicken, this one uses sausage:   https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/sausage-and-gnocchi-soup/47f98de2-9153-4bbc-ba5c-80d4e166b7fb

1499219164_gnoccisoup3.jpg.3cd7defa480e75ccbbcbc51960de394c.jpg

Prayers for all who need them.    Enjoy the day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning everyone! Happy Saturday! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! 

This morning we are at 6 degrees so I need to watch Sam to limit him being outside. Even this is too cold for him I feel. My younger daughter across the mountain is at 19 degrees so I am sure being between the two mountain ranges and the elevation makes a difference short term. The forecast is for 50 degrees by Thursday!

The snow blower did its job by scaring the snow away. 😄  We probably had around three inches which is all gone thanks to the Sun even though it never got above freezing here yesterday. A cold rain predicted for tomorrow.

Yesterday I received a cortisone shot in my right knee. What a difference! I think that I actually slept better as well.

I do believe that the quote for today applies to Sam. Monday is the five-month anniversary since we adopted him. He does everything that dog psychologists suggest shows happiness and contentment. I have only had one dog besides Sam to sleep on their back. That shows total trust with his surroundings.

Stay safe everyone!

- Jack

0821211255a.thumb.jpg.af1aeed31974a16ae447f812ad981f6b.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 39
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I will pass on bubble baths and won't be doing any male watching other than my DH, but @marshhawkhas a point. Now that I know what JoyGerm day is I love it. Thank you @richwmn@grapau27 and @marshhawk for the explanations of our days.

Love the quote and gnocchi.

It is warmer here this morning, (31), and should rise into the mid 40's today. I love all the pictures of the snow, but am definitely happy I don't have to deal with it anymore. To those that do please be very careful.

More work on the shower this morning and then football this afternoon and tonight.

Stay safe, warm and have a spectacular Saturday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 30

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

It looks like Nieuw Amsterdam will be reverting to "without passengers" for about 3 weeks.

Maybe longer.  Another thread asked if the Feb. 5 cruise has been cancelled. If you apply the "Sold Out" filter when looking for a cruise, the 1/29-2/5, 1/29-2/12 and 2/5-12 NA cruises all show as "Unavailable". 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 10

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I haven't had a bubble bath in ages; maybe with this ugly cold weather, it's time to have one just to keep warm.  I can watch my husband every day, and am glad for that.  I love the idea of joygerms; now that's a pathogen I can really get into!

Just received a phone notification of an Extreme Cold Warning; this is getting a little old.  We had some snow yesterday along with the strong winds, which have created hardened drifts on the driveway.  I was planning on getting out yesterday, but the wind made it unbearable, so I was hoping to do it today.  Maybe our neighbour will bring his snowblower over; if not, we'll just have to leave it until the temperatures go up a bit.

I know many of you have dogs, some of which need to be groomed, and I'm not sure how you've handled that through the pandemic, but I figured I should share this here for those of you who think you can do it yourself.

485738015_Momhaircut.thumb.jpg.f650c404adb22b4aca68a14f8951977a.jpg

I'm not a fan of gnocchi, so will take a pass on today's menu suggestion.   Last night as we were enjoying our salmon dinner, DH and I both realized it was Friday, our usual pizza night, so guess what we're having for dinner tonight?  Yep, pizza.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Jose, Jacqui, and Marley.   We'll clink the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.   Be safe, get your boosters, wash your hands, stay well, wear your masks, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Haha 9

@Seasick Sailor  I have been to HMC 5 times, not once were we off the ship when they said we should be.  Just enjoy the view, and have another breakfast.

I love the idea of Joygerm day. I think that this thread is a Joygerm day every day.

Tazi cat is up on the computer desk and attacking my hands while I'm typing.  In reality she thinks it's a good place to hide from baby cat Furnando.  

I got some groceries last night, enough to keep us going for a few days.  But I agree with @StLouisCruisers about stock on the shelves.  Cat food is single cans only now, no big boxes, no paper plates, Progresso soup?  Well, Krogers was running a sale,  so by the time we got there last night, there were 8 varieties of soup left.  Rice?  there were 12 bags on the shelf, total.  I also noticed that they moved the Organic veggies to the front, so that is where most folks go, and the non Organic are to the far right, so if looking to count pennies (in this case dollars)  double check those produce shelves.  Meat is still sadly lacking, as was the fish.  It's not hard for us to get out and about to shop every few days, but I do feel for those who get snow bound, and cant stock the cupboard.

Have a great day, gotta put those head sets on for my last full day of work.

Even though I told my boss if I didn't have call backs then don't put me out for the two hours next week, and he told me to take them, because as long as he had staff working, he would still get paid.  He's helped me out getting me work when i needed it, so i will work those last two hours.  at one hour a day.

• Like 31

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

National JoyGerm Day

The goal of the day is to "smile, hug, grin, and win over at least one grumpy grouch." It is a day to spread cheer through "germs of joy." It is a time for positivity, optimism, smiles, and kindness to everyone that one comes into contact with. Some celebrants, often members of Joygerms Unlimited, have gone to nursing homes and hospitals to spread cheer. Parades have also been held on the day. It is not seen as a day to ignore life's problems, but rather, a day to rise above them.

Sounds like a perfect fit for the Daily! Thank you, Rich!

• Like 21