CDC director says Covid cases on cruise ships surged 30-fold in two weeks

BF125

Funny how they focused on one negative sentence out of the CDC Director's comment:

• Yeah, thank you, Senator. And I think the Conditional Sailing Order and the fact that the industry has stepped up and is now interested in doing and exceeding, as you know, the the compliance with the sail order without the order even necessarily needing to be in place, as is a real testimony to how well that has worked and how we've worked collaboratively with the industry. What I can say is that, you know, just over the last two weeks with Omicron, we've seen a 30 fold increase in cases on ships during this season because of Omicron. So while I anticipate that with ships following conditional sail order, we still will continue to follow do the oversight and watch and do all the technical assistance and support in every single way. We anticipate that this order will not be renewed and that the cruise ship industries will continue to understand that this is a really safe practice for those industries. What I can't predict is what the summer will bring.

https://www.help.senate.gov/hearings/addressing-new-variants-a-federal-perspective-on-the-covid-19-response

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

And the huge majority of those is from the mandatory crew testing every 3 days.

Cases are a completely irrelevant metric with omicron since so few have more than cold symptoms

Wonder why that is?  Hope no one has to tell you. By now you should now why.

Edited by Jimbo

22 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

30-fold - was that from 1 to 30, 100 to 3,000, or 300 to 9,000?  They didn’t mention the specific numbers, did they?

Yes they did:

In the first two weeks of December, 162 cases were reported aboard vessels. But as cases continued to mount across the globe, cruise lines disclosed more outbreaks. Ships operating in U.S. waters reported about 5,000 Covid cases to the CDC from Dec. 15 through Dec. 29.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SOCACRUISEGUY said:

While your statement about cases being fairly mild may be the case,  many employers require those that have either tested positive or been in close contact with someone that has tested positive to stay home. As a result, that employee now has to use their sick, and/or vacation time, or go unpaid. That’s a financial blow that many can’t afford. It isn’t always black and white. There are many factors at play. 

Add to the financial hardship for those who have to stay home, businesses are finding it difficult to either stay open normal hours or stay open at all. This seems to be getting out of hand and it is a scary ride to say the least.

13 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I heard 98% also (nationwide).  I think it was NBC.

You and Tickets are going to be more accurate than my comment.  The photo I saw yesterday, and just re-looked at, was from data up to January 1st. The purple on the pie chart is Omicron and the orange like color is Delta. A lot will have changed in the last 10 days, being less Delta cases. 

AE773FE4-D85B-4100-B3C1-6EF5E757A6C3.thumb.jpeg.ec4442110d76c009549fa7e5d1180f30.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

The number of cases on a cruise ship is very important. They've extended the quarantine area up to Deck 6.

Some pax have reported that they are quarantined in their own cabins. The hallways are still used by the un-infected. Please don't thrown your hazmat waste into the hallway!!!!

Do ports refuse to admit ships with a large number of infected onboard? Are the infected being put off the ship in foreign ports?

I wonder if you might have mixed up some information.  On some ships, the Covid quarantine area is part of deck 3.  On the big ships, it's a portion of deck 6.  This does not mean that all the decks below 6 are quarantine areas.   

We sailed on Adventure last week, and I was told there were 35 cases in quarantine during our 4 night cruise.  (1179 passengers and 900+ crew were aboard)  No passengers were quarantined in their own cabins.  All Covid positive pax were relocated to oceanview cabins in the quarantine area of deck 3, and those hallways were not used by uninfected passengers.  Quarantined passengers are instructed to seal their trash bags and put them in the corridor, and also to put their room service trays in the corridor.  Crew who serviced that area wore full body PPE.  

Although passengers in balcony cabins may WANT to be quarantined in their own cabins, this was not allowed.  They were moved to the OV quarantine rooms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lovescats5 said:

So according to everything I have heard, no I do not have sources, everyone will contact Omicron.  If that is the case and it is suppose to be about like a cold why is everyone so surprised.  If everyone is suppose to get it why do we need the vaccine and the mask.  At what point will we just tell the government to take a flying leap and let us live our lives.  Do you isolate for a cold, probably take a little more caution with where you go and who you see.  I am so tired of everyone telling me what to do.  If the vaccine and mask worked why will everyone still get covid?

My understanding is the vaccine helps it only BE like a cold.  Supposedly ~85% of those hospitalized with (because of?) covid currently (so basically omicron) are unvaccinated.  

Now, why masks, social distancing, or isolating, I don't understand. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

The number of cases on a cruise ship is very important. They've extended the quarantine area up to Deck 6.

Some pax have reported that they are quarantined in their own cabins. The hallways are still used by the un-infected. Please don't thrown your hazmat waste into the hallway!!!!

Do ports refuse to admit ships with a large number of infected onboard? Are the infected being put off the ship in foreign ports?

Where is your medical degree from? And which ship are you presently on? So many stories of conditions on board we have read here on the CC turn out to be total lies by drama queens and kings looking for increased  compensation from the company.Or they are made up out of whole cloth and sent to the sea ambulance chaser in chief on that vile website.

I'm on deck 17, so I have 11 full decks of infected and imprisoned passengers before I get locked in.

Edited by forgotmyCCname
  • Like 1