The Daily for Sunday 01/16/2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, Sea Viewer said:

Good morning everyone, 

For a do nothing day it seems there is a lot going on in the Daily!

As I was catching up alarms started going off around me, it seems Broward county is now under a tornado watch until 3pm. I guess I'm going to be staying in today!

image.png.0051af501d7350a7421f0b31e9234a24.png

The alarm in my phone went off here at the port. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

The alarm in my phone went off here at the port. 

We had tornado warnings earlier this AM, a couple hit Ft. Myers and did quite a bit of damage to some manufactured homes about 30 miles south of us.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

the winter mix has turned to snow, and it is cold enough to stick. Good thing this didn't happen yesterday and mess up the celebration!20220116_114520.thumb.jpg.847706a947f5ae9e2cd3fdd1515cce55.jpg

I hope we don't see any more than that, Rich.  People would freak out!  Glad we're not going anywhere.  The flurries just started about 10 minutes ago here and come in little bursts.  Keep us updated on your accumulation.

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

Oh no - that’s where my dad and aunt are staying for a month! 😔

I'm sure they are fine, local TV news is reporting no fatalities but there were some close calls for a few people.

We have lived in Florida over 28 years and we never have tornados in January, might get some with summer hurricanes. 

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 13

@aliaschief   I noticed the black bean brownie recipe called for 1 serving chocolate protein powder.  How much regular cocoa powder did you use in your brownies?

@richwmn  Rich, I just saw a news article that HAL has canceled NA's cruises into February.  I didn't know if you were aware of the change.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope we don't see any more than that, Rich.  People would freak out!  Glad we're not going anywhere.  The flurries just started about 10 minutes ago here and come in little bursts.  Keep us updated on your accumulation.

It snowed for a little over a hour, and the temp is just above freezing right now. We just got a dusting of snow here, and the roads are clear. I doubt that I will go out but who knows???

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Blessings to all Daily-ites. Disembarking this morning. Fingers crossed our flight isn't cancelled.

Prayers for all, especially to our Jacqui for strength and God's hand on Jose.

God Bless.

Joy

Good morning all. Thanks for the reports. Joy I hope you find the right flights. My flight to Seattle on the second leg of my trip was delayed while they scrambled to find a crew by about 90 minutes but it didn't get canceled so I felt lucky.  Bright and sunny here but very cold. For all in the path of the storm, please be safe. 

• Like 18

Fun Blaufränkisch Fact

The word Blaufränkisch translates to something like Blue French Grape.

Fun Blaufränkisch Fact 2

Blaufränkisch is grown in the United States where it is known as Lemberger, which, after reading @cat shepard's report, we all now know is also the common name used in Germany.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

@StLouisCruisers Dekalb Stone Mountain, been snowing since 10 this morning. It started as the BIG flake variety, now it's small tiny flakes.  I swear our yard is part of a nuclear dump site, everyone has snow in their yard, but us.  Snow on the roofs, it's actually pretty.  Will be gorgeous if we can get two inches of snow.  I took the Christmas tree(still in the stand but without lights and ornaments) outside, and put a feeder near it so that the birds can get some cover between chews.  Peanuts and corn  are out for the squirrels.  The ferals, while they have a heater, a heated porch and a warm bed, are actually birdwatching  from under the patio furniture.  Silly kitties.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 18

Whoa.  I can’t believe I snuck past the CC Sentries!!  I think it’s been about a week since I’ve been able to log in, let alone post.  Better do this quick!

Today I appreciate that I don’t have to listen to the Daily Dragon Report on the 6 o’clock news.  Could you imagine? 😮

World Snow Day coincides nicely with Winter Storm Izzy, which is currently headlining the news over the entire eastern portion of North America.  In my neck of the woods it was preceded by quite a drop in temperature so the snow is sticking where it lands. 

Morocco is on the itinerary for our March cruise, but a little tiny spec that no one can see will dictate whether that happens or not.  Kinda makes Dragon Reports seem a little less scary.  At least you can see them coming.  🐉

I hate that so many of you are enduring troubled times.  If it was up to this group we would have it fixed for you in seconds flat.  I think today’s quote, unpacked to its core component, shows that love is at the forefront of our concern and compassion.  I would even go so far as to say that love doesn’t exist despite what we know, but by virtue of what we know.  It ties in nicely with the lovely sermon which Grapau shared with us today.

So thank you, everyone, for the love you have shown today, even if you have not put it in words or did not know that you had done so.  It lifts my heart.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Just a follow up. We used just regular cocoa powder not the protein cocoa in recipe. Now back to our regular scheduled programs!

That is the regular scheduled program!   Cooking, wine drinking, cooking some more, football, weather, ships, and it seems MOHs surgery.  I'll take that last one as a sign of aging among the group.

Speaking of weather, we've had an update.  Now we are looking at 8-12 inches of snow.  The sky was a beautiful clear blue when I went out to the grocery store.  Now it is winter gray and snow will start falling soon.  I am stocked up to get me through the storm.  I have my pot of chicken soup and I have chili makings, so I should be fine until we dig out.   I am glad I hired a plow service.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

All the weather stories being shared today make me grateful that I live in Florida, although the panhandle where we live can have some cold weather that definitely separates the locals from the snowbirds.  After lunch today, I stopped at Walmart for a few items.  As I was leaving the parking lot, I saw an older man in a tee shirt and shorts walking to his car.  Five seconds later I saw a woman bundled up in her heavy coat with a fur lined hood.  According to the car, it was 51 degrees.

• Like 11
  • Haha 14

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I wanted to tell you, that DH had been on chemo for about 6 years.  A pill form that was new, it was supposed to "kill" the cancer, but with him, it just arrested the continuing growth of cancer.  They talked radiation for years with him, but told him he would lose his right eye, so he didn't want to do it.  Then he fell and lost the vision in his right eye, and a year later the proton radiation treatment came into Emory, and he ended up doing radiation every day for a month.  (last January).  And he didn't lose the  eye.  He cant see, but he kept the eye. They took him off the chemo, and in the past month, he finally ( a year later) has an appetite.  So healing takes a while, and I am so happy to see your reports every day, that you are going back out into the world, and that you have a cruise planned.  You are an inspiration to all of us .

My local radiology practice is affiliated with the University of Maryland hospital which is the primary protron center in our area.  My Doctor is actually on the University of Maryland staff and I asked him inquired about the protron center but he indicated it would not have been beneficial in my case.  I have been on the hormone therapy now for I think almost 10 years steady and on and off since 2004 and it has kept the cancer in check until recently.  I am due for my next hormone shot next week and the oncologist wants to see more results before stopping the therapy.  I do hope that next week's shot will be the last one for a while although it generally gives me very little trouble.  It sounds like it was very beneficial for your DH.

The option for streaming the second half of last night's concert listed in the program turned out to be worthless but I contacted the help email today with a promised turnaround of 3 business days.  They actually got back to me within 3 hours and I expect to watch the second half of the concert tomorrow where the are still weather warnings in effect.  I have 2 more concerts this month, the first is a series Marin
Alsop started which is just one work with the conductor starting things off with a background speech and then a performance of the work.  It starts an hour earlier than the other concerts and is shorter so I will can stay to the end and not be home any later than I was last night.  The next week Alsop is back and the program ends with the Saint Saens Organ Symphony, one of my favorite works.  It is not on my subscription but I got it in exchange for a December concert I missed while radiology was under way.  I'll stay until the end but will use a hotel outside of Baltimore rather than driving all the way home.

I just looked out the window and our snow is starting.

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

For everyone in the path of the storms, please be safe!  We've reached our daytime high of 0C (32F) and it's absolutely glorious out there with bright sunshine and no wind.  Sorry we took all your good weather for ourselves!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 13
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

Oh no - that’s where my dad and aunt are staying for a month! 😔

Tornados that hit here are nothing like the monster stoms of the mid-west. Floriday actually gets lots of tornados associate with thuderstorms. They pop up quickly and last for very short times. 4 or 5 years ago here on the SW Gulf coast we had a pop up tornado in early January that took off several roofs. It dispersed quickly after that. Any time there is a strong thuderstrom there is a potential for a tornado associated with it. Florida (especially SW Florida) is the prime target for such storms. They can happen at any time of the year but summer is the most vulnerable.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

The next week Alsop is back and the program ends with the Saint Saens Organ Symphony, one of my favorite works. 

I agree.  A terrific piece.  I think the finale would make an awesome wedding recessional.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

@ger_77 You didn't take the weather, you just sent us some of yours.  I'm loving it. (being from up north, I actually miss snow)  Don't want it all the time, mind you, I just enjoy it when it does it's cold crisp white dropping.  What I do miss is the crunch when you go out in fresh frozen snow, and you are the first person out to walk in it.   Please feel free to send it this way anytime you get tired of it.  LOL.

@rafinmd The first time I heard the 3rd, when the organ BLASTS into the orchestral music, I was so moved, tears were running down my face.  
A really good soprano in Mahler's 2nd has the same effect.  However, while most of the world thinks highly of the artists at ASO,  I have yet to be moved enough for tears.  I guess because I worked there for so long, my unused tickets from the 2019/20 season were held on credit.  I called a couple of months ago and got the credit applied to Durufle's Requim in April, and Mahler's 3rd in June.  They didnt tell me there was a credit.  When Ticketmaster bought out the box office, and my job of 15 years went poof-the ASO administrative offices made sure that I had no ties left with them.  However, I had been a patron since 1996, and ASO performers know me well.  

I loved your cartoon by the way, I copied it and sent it to my boss, and my temporary boss (Hollywood Bowl).

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I loved your cartoon by the way, I copied it and sent it to my boss, and my temporary boss (Hollywood Bowl).

Unless I've forgotten something I think that was actually @richwmn's cartoon.  I have a feeling that there's quite a lot of truth to that with regard to the actual concert and so much of what they do is in rehearsal getting the orchestra all on the same page.  And that's just a conductor, a Music Director goes way beyond what happens on the stage bringing the orchestra's programs to life in the community as a whole.  Alsop's contributions, especially to the youth of Baltimore are a legacy likely to last long beyond her time on earth.

Roy

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

@Cruiserclthank you for telling about Peter Yarrow speaking (and singing) at your graduation.  I always loved Peter, Paul and Mary -- and got all their autographs.  It was my very first concert, I was probably only about 12. Great memory.

Oh good! Yes, he was a really good speaker. This was in 1990 so he was older and further along in his solo career. He was a benefactor of the small college I went to here in MN. 

Seems to be a gentle soul. 😊

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1