The First Thing an American will notice about P&O is…

Tapi

28 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

United Kingdom is England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Great Britain is England, Scotland, Wales.

The UK also includes Gibraltar . It is in fact a UK overseas territory but if on a cruise it always says Gibraltar UK. 

21 minutes ago, amajaa said:

The UK also includes Gibraltar . It is in fact a UK overseas territory but if on a cruise it always says Gibraltar UK. 

I think they were 14 UK overseas territory's at the last count, places like Falklands :classic_unsure:

The last time we were on the Azura a lady was telling us once we were off the ship at Southampton she was cruising down to there.

Edited by kalos

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

United Kingdom is England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Great Britain is England, Scotland, Wales.

Officially..... The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, amajaa said:

The UK has lots of overseas territories but I was just confirming the difference between United Kingdom and Great Britain and was not referring to overseas territories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

That UK passengers seldon order a salad course at dinner.

You are quite right. But on Princess I often order a salad course because they are so good and varied. Also because Princess  do not offer many vegetables with the main course. Unfortunately P&O do not offer good salads but have far more vegetables. 

12 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

You are quite right. But on Princess I often order a salad course because they are so good and varied. Also because Princess  do not offer many vegetables with the main course. Unfortunately P&O do not offer good salads but have far more vegetables. 

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Well, far more green beans !

On both Princess and P & O we always ask for extra veg and after a few days the waiters automatically bring us an extra bowl of veg between us for the main course. I love my veg. We go for Freedom Dining and normally try to sit at the same table every night . 

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Which are OK if they are not squeaky

That is such an accurate description of P&O beans….
I’m sure they buy enormous amounts of certain food items that are on special offer. One year we had boiled rice with almost every mains dish and another year there was a plethora of swede!

Having said all that I’ve generally enjoyed almost all I’ve eaten on board (squeaky beans aside)…..

Edited by Angel57
Missed word

9 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

That is such an accurate description of P&O beans….
I’m sure they buy enormous amounts of certain food items that are on special offer. One year we had boiled rice with almost every mains dish and another year there was a plethora of swede!

Having said all that I’ve generally enjoyed almost all I’ve eaten on board (squeaky beans aside)…..

At least P&O are doing their bit to shift the European bean mountain, and I have done my bit to lower the European wine lake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The biggest differences I notice are the food. I love all the choice on American ships and I find the food on P&O to be too British for me. But that’s personal opinion! You may love that! 

I also love having Caesar salads and French onion soup in MDR on American ships. You won’t find either on P&O. 

Edited by Guest

After mainly sailing on US lines here are a few differences I picked up on - 

1 - Don't expect American foods like Grits for breakfast.  If you ask for Grits, expect a bewildered look. 

2 - You are expected to wear the correct attire on formal nights, and the vast majority do.  

3 - Don't expect to do well in trivia unless you are a wizz at British TV, music or sport

4 - drinks are cheaper so most do not get a drinks package.  Prices are in pounds

5 -  We have a VERY different relationship with tipping in the UK.  

6 - Afternoon tea is a must, at least once. 

and some advice - never discuss Brexit!  😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Glitterati said:

The biggest differences I notice are the food. I love all the choice on American ships and I find the food on P&O to be too British for me. But that’s personal opinion! You may love that! 

I also love having Caesar salads and French onion soup in MDR on American ships. You won’t find either on P&O. 

I have had both on a P&O Ship. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, welshy74 said:

After mainly sailing on US lines here are a few differences I picked up on - 

1 - Don't expect American foods like Grits for breakfast.  If you ask for Grits, expect a bewildered look. 

2 - You are expected to wear the correct attire on formal nights, and the vast majority do.  

3 - Don't expect to do well in trivia unless you are a wizz at British TV, music or sport

4 - drinks are cheaper so most do not get a drinks package.  Prices are in pounds

5 -  We have a VERY different relationship with tipping in the UK.  

6 - Afternoon tea is a must, at least once. 

and some advice - never discuss Brexit!  😆

Have to disagree on the formal nights one

There's no pressure to wear formal IMO

Lots of options to dine or drink on the ship without being in formal wear on formal nights

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Have to disagree on the formal nights one

There's no pressure to wear formal IMO

Lots of options to dine or drink on the ship without being in formal wear on formal nights

Yes, I should have been clear this is for the MDR only.  (Or Epicurean) 

On 1/25/2022 at 5:28 PM, Snow Hill said:

I have had both on a P&O Ship. 

I haven’t in 4 P&O cruises! I saw some Caesar dressing in the buffet at Christmas. But there were no croutons or Parmesan to go with it. And it was iceberg not romaine. Never seen one on a MDR menu!! 

Edited by Guest