Is There A Benefit to Booking Directly?

RollWave

I will start with... YES - I know there are a bunch of threads that most likely address this subject. I have trouble with the search on this site.

Is there a benefit to booking directly with Celebrity vs a travel agent?

I am wondering had I booked or kept the on board booking with Celebrity would the experience be different in a situation such as this COVID travel world?

I am getting very frustrated with the CWC policy and the FCC "stuff". I have two cruises that we cancelled under CWC. Just like many on this board we are waiting - waiting - waiting for the FCC.

Have spent many hours on hold with the TA at a large club store. They are nice but not terribly helpful.

Yesterday I spent an hour on hold waiting for Celebrity only to get non-answers.

Reason I called Celebrity directly is that the two cruises have been cancelled. We are waiting on the FCC numbers so we can book another cruise.

I thought I could deal directly with Celebrity since the cruises have been cancelled. I was told until the FCC numbers are issued; I have to deal with the travel agent b/c they have some ownership over the bookings. 

Last week the TA told us cancelled cruise #1 we would have the FCC this week. Yesterday Celebrity agent told us - oh no not this week maybe in the next two weeks.

Last week TA told us cancelled cruise #2 we would have the FCC within 30-45 days. Yesterday Celebrity agent told us - oh no we may know more in the next 30-45 days but the FCC may not be issued until well after. I mentioned what I would like to do --- book another cruise in a suite in December or January. I was told I would need my FCC.

What I am trying to do is ---- book a cruise on either APEX, EDGE or BEYOND in December of this year or January of next (before or after holiday sailings). I would like a Retreat class cabin. Seven day sailing or less. I want to have FCC #1 applied to the deposit OR I want to be able to book and not make the deposit until FCC #1 is issued. I would like to use FCC#2 at the time of final payment. 

I really do not understand why it is so difficult to spend my money that I have already handed over to Celebrity? 

If booking directly with Celebrity is not incredibly beneficial --- what is the best way to find a really good TA? Trial and error?

The FCC issue has nothing to do with booking direct or via TA. As far as I know, they are still working on October/November credits. They can expedite the request if you make enough noise but it's taking a long time. The TA telling you they know when the FCC will be issued is their way of getting you off the phone. They have no idea. 

If your anticipated sailing is within final payment, Celebrity has been allowing people to pay only taxes and fees and hold the reservation until FCC's are created. Outside of final this may be less likely but it is possible. Put a sailing on courtesy hold, let a CVP call you, then explain what you are wanting to do. 

• Like 2

Since you booked with a ‘large-club’ TA, you are wasting your time calling Celebrity. You’ll get varying estimates that are based on guesses and ‘maybes’ from both. And your TA is the one who owns the booking and beyond general info, Celebrity won’t be involved. So save yourself time and frustration and work with your TA you picked this time and quit calling and getting differing info that doesn’t really help you anyway. Jeremiah is right on.

As to the question of which one? I’ve booked with various options, and am sticking with a professional Travel Advisor who is local and has a team and an office here. Celebrity personnel obviously work For Celebrity and that is their focus; your big-club TA is what I call a Booking Agent. They do fine booking a cruise but in many cases, not all, that’s the end of their focus and they will help you some, but only when you bug them and press. There are good TA’s working online/big-club offices, but you aren’t picking a TA, you are picking a company. A professional local TA is your personal representative and will work many angles / options you aren’t even aware of.

Doesn’t help now. But my advice right now is to quit calling Celebrity to ask the same questions you are calling your Booking Agent and getting frustrated. The TA you booked with is your Agent.

And the wait you have calling Celebrity and calling your Big-Club TA is very telling on what the problem is. My TA even responds after hours when I leave a message that needs response quickly and during the workday, they Always answer on the ring and if I have to leave a msg, get back to me very shortly…..they have a funny capability of you leaving a message and they respond back. who knows that would exist! Heck, I’ve even called them, not left a message and they’ve called me to see what the issue was. 

That’s called service. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2

@Denny01

Spot on.  I don't understand why people would think that going to a 'big box' for this kind of service would provide the kind of personalized service one would get from a smaller TA.  That's really not part of their business model - which depends upon volume to achieve the company's goals.  And honestly, I've had a smaller TA for years, and seem to have benefited equally regarding group pricing and commission kick-in either as OBC or a check after X pays them their commission.  [We had SO much OBC from X on our last cruise that we took the latter option].  I don't see the advantage of dealing with a large box TA if a good smaller TA is available.  I guess the trick is finding one.  The email in my signature line may be of interest in that regard.

@RollWave

I had some FCC provided while onboard my last cruise.  My TA called ME to ask if I wanted to apply it to our next booked cruise - before I even had a chance to call her after we got back.  If you're hooked up with a TA who provides decent service, they will have full access to any FCC information and are in a position to apply it for you.

@Jeremiah1212

+1 on the ability to hold final payment for a bit when it is known that FCCs are outstanding.  I was definitely inside 90 (it was 90 then, not 60) by the time my FCC for one of my November cruises came around, and my TA was able to hold final for about two weeks until it finally got issued.  Avoids a messy refund situation.

• Like 2

Agree with these comments in general about local vs big box.  But a good and highly experienced local TA is very hard to come by these days.  Many left their jobs or had their agencies go bankrupt over the past two years.   Congrats to those of you that still have their local TA available.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Agree with these comments in general about local vs big box.  But a good and highly experienced local TA is very hard to come by these days.  Many left their jobs or had their agencies go bankrupt over the past two years.   Congrats to those of you that still have their local TA available.

Mine has never been "local", at least not in the sense that they have been close to where I live.  When still family owned, they used to be based in a small town in Arkansas .. such that the company name was always a bit of a chuckle.

They survived through the lean COVID times by having everyone working part time, but they survived, and even at part time, were always quickly available by phone or email.  We consider ourselves fortunate, yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, canderson said:

Mine has never been "local", at least not in the sense that they have been close to where I live.  When still family owned, they used to be based in a small town in Arkansas .. such that the company name was always a bit of a chuckle.

They survived through the lean COVID times by having everyone working part time, but they survived, and even at part time, were always quickly available by phone or email.  We consider ourselves fortunate, yes.

I’d define that as a ‘local’ TA which I mean, not some company that is nearby, but also like what is posted by Canderson. If I moved, I’d use my TA I have now. Her company is attached to a large Travel company based 150mi away. She is able to use their Group Bookings and so on that saves us a good deal of money. 

Funny how every time I see a price drop, I go back to check and my existing booking is less than the new ‘good deal’ from Celebrity. Plus and minus.

I’ll give an example beyond the OBC and pricing: Had an Ireland land tour my TA had set up. We decided to go 4-5 days early to explore Dublin. She got us the same hotel the tour company would use; got us a big flight discount by a booking I didn’t have access to. A limo waiting for us. Nice hotel with a tram stop outside it; she got me a 5-day pass for using local tram/train and discounts to various tourist spots. When we flew back, JFK was getting snowed in. While we were flying, she rebooked us on an earlier flight to get us out prior to shutdown and for another group, she got transportation to Newark to fly out and flights. 

Try that with a Big-Club TA which I’m sure has better OBC’s, but…...Yeah. And Celebrity, only with Celebrity-connected issues. 

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RollWave said:

YES - I know there are a bunch of threads that most likely address this

Simple answer

It all depends upon with whom you are working with.

It's called " Service " and it's no different in any Industry.

We have been very lucky with our cruise reservations---

We always book a future cruise while on board and receive certain benefits ( I forget what they were ) , then transfer the booking to Big Box Travel where they send us a gift card valued at 8% ( ? )on completion of the trip of what the cost of the cruise was. 

Hint --- When calling Big Box Travel always " click " to talk to a French speaking Agent--- no worries, they all speak English and you will get through quicker--- less callers trying to get through and don't forget to mention you support the Montreal Canadiens hockey team ( LOL ).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My bookings always end up with an Agent but 99% of the time I book them myself and ultimately transfer to agent for the additional perks.

I enjoy being able to shop for my own cruises on line and when get to the point of selecting the room like to see what is available and choose where I want to be.   It also gives me the ability to dream and add on additional cruises as I do my planning.  

Near the 30 day limit I transfer to an Agent after vetting how much they are wiling to offer for the booking.   The agent is very helpful in managing the booking and dealing with Celebrity if there is a problem or adding FCC's etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I somehow end up giving Jim_Iain a lot of ‘Likes/Thanks/HaHas’! That post above is perfect. So many of us do our own search - find what we want and either tell our TA or book it onboard and so on then transfer it. But my TA has become so ‘knowledgeable’ of what I pick out, they come up with ideas for us too. 

Fun. 

Den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RollWave said:

I will start with... YES - I know there are a bunch of threads that most likely address this subject. I have trouble with the search on this site.

I am wondering had I booked or kept the on board booking with Celebrity would the experience be different in a situation such as this COVID travel world?

I am getting very frustrated with the CWC policy and the FCC "stuff". I have two cruises that we cancelled under CWC. Just like many on this board we are waiting - waiting - waiting for the FCC.

Have spent many hours on hold with the TA at a large club store. They are nice but not terribly helpful.

Yesterday I spent an hour on hold waiting for Celebrity only to get non-answers.

Reason I called Celebrity directly is that the two cruises have been cancelled. We are waiting on the FCC numbers so we can book another cruise.

I thought I could deal directly with Celebrity since the cruises have been cancelled. I was told until the FCC numbers are issued; I have to deal with the travel agent b/c they have some ownership over the bookings. 

Last week the TA told us cancelled cruise #1 we would have the FCC this week. Yesterday Celebrity agent told us - oh no not this week maybe in the next two weeks.

Last week TA told us cancelled cruise #2 we would have the FCC within 30-45 days. Yesterday Celebrity agent told us - oh no we may know more in the next 30-45 days but the FCC may not be issued until well after. I mentioned what I would like to do --- book another cruise in a suite in December or January. I was told I would need my FCC.

What I am trying to do is ---- book a cruise on either APEX, EDGE or BEYOND in December of this year or January of next (before or after holiday sailings). I would like a Retreat class cabin. Seven day sailing or less. I want to have FCC #1 applied to the deposit OR I want to be able to book and not make the deposit until FCC #1 is issued. I would like to use FCC#2 at the time of final payment. 

I really do not understand why it is so difficult to spend my money that I have already handed over to Celebrity? 

If booking directly with Celebrity is not incredibly beneficial --- what is the best way to find a really good TA? Trial and error?

One benefit I can think of concerning booking direct is: you have one (1) less entity to blame if anything goes awry...

bon voyage

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

One benefit I can think of concerning booking direct is: you have one (1) less entity to blame if anything goes awry...

bon voyage

You are batting 1000 today! But then again, the complaining post can be much longer if you can complain about the TA, the Cruise Line, the Airline, the hotel, the…….

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

Good point. Not looking to blame anyone - just want to know the best way to go about spending the FCC and, probably, more money with Celebrity! Had a taste of the suite life on Summit back in October - not sure I will ever want to go back to any other type of cabin. 

Also, I am looking forward to the day when COVID is gone. I have a l-o-n-g list of trips I want to take and I would like to have experience guidance.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Since you booked with a ‘large-club’ TA, you are wasting your time calling Celebrity. You’ll get varying estimates that are based on guesses and ‘maybes’ from both. And your TA is the one who owns the booking and beyond general info, Celebrity won’t be involved. So save yourself time and frustration and work with your TA you picked this time and quit calling and getting differing info that doesn’t really help you anyway. Jeremiah is right on.

As to the question of which one? I’ve booked with various options, and am sticking with a professional Travel Advisor who is local and has a team and an office here. Celebrity personnel obviously work For Celebrity and that is their focus; your big-club TA is what I call a Booking Agent. They do fine booking a cruise but in many cases, not all, that’s the end of their focus and they will help you some, but only when you bug them and press. There are good TA’s working online/big-club offices, but you aren’t picking a TA, you are picking a company. A professional local TA is your personal representative and will work many angles / options you aren’t even aware of.

Doesn’t help now. But my advice right now is to quit calling Celebrity to ask the same questions you are calling your Booking Agent and getting frustrated. The TA you booked with is your Agent.

And the wait you have calling Celebrity and calling your Big-Club TA is very telling on what the problem is. My TA even responds after hours when I leave a message that needs response quickly and during the workday, they Always answer on the ring and if I have to leave a msg, get back to me very shortly…..they have a funny capability of you leaving a message and they respond back. who knows that would exist! Heck, I’ve even called them, not left a message and they’ve called me to see what the issue was. 

That’s called service. 

Den

Thank you - very good advice!

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The FCC issue has nothing to do with booking direct or via TA. As far as I know, they are still working on October/November credits. They can expedite the request if you make enough noise but it's taking a long time. The TA telling you they know when the FCC will be issued is their way of getting you off the phone. They have no idea. 

If your anticipated sailing is within final payment, Celebrity has been allowing people to pay only taxes and fees and hold the reservation until FCC's are created. Outside of final this may be less likely but it is possible. Put a sailing on courtesy hold, let a CVP call you, then explain what you are wanting to do. 

Thank you - I will give the Courtesy Hold a try!

1 minute ago, RollWave said:

Good point. Not looking to blame anyone - just want to know the best way to go about spending the FCC and, probably, more money with Celebrity! Had a taste of the suite life on Summit back in October - not sure I will ever want to go back to any other type of cabin. 

Also, I am looking forward to the day when COVID is gone. I have a l-o-n-g list of trips I want to take and I would like to have experience guidance.

You are in the correct place for "experience" and "guidance" in which case, booking direct may not be the issue vs asking yourself "what is it you are seeking, generally, when booking" as sailing on X.

Rather that be 'greater' control over your reservation(s), obc, someone to wait on-hold to get your questions answered etc...

Any of the above and more can influence where and how you may want to consider booking...

bon voyage

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbenboys said:

I thought FCC could only be used for final payment or part payment, not for a deposit for a new cruise.

Find a good TA. We have 50+ cruises with the same TA. 

Thus, another reason to find a good TA. Maybe the Big Box agent was trying to get me off the phone, but I was told to wait until the first FCC comes in to book the next cruise b/c I could use it to make the deposit. When the second FCC comes in, I can apply that plus the remainder of the first to the final payment. In no way am I touting this as accurate - just what I was told last week,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RollWave said:

Thus, another reason to find a good TA. Maybe the Big Box agent was trying to get me off the phone, but I was told to wait until the first FCC comes in to book the next cruise b/c I could use it to make the deposit. When the second FCC comes in, I can apply that plus the remainder of the first to the final payment. In no way am I touting this as accurate - just what I was told last week,

Just another thought. In the past I have booked a cruise and only put 1 name to the reservation. Added the 2nd person later. As deposits are per person to hold the cabin/suite. 

• Thanks 2

There are pros and cons to everything.

I will sometimes book with a large/big box TA, for example if they can save me 20% on the price of a cruise.

The trade-off is less personalized service.  

Sometimes I book with a large travel agent that has local offices (and also does auto-work).  They sometimes have good deals (eg group deals) and I get to work with the individual TA.  However, when things go wrong (eg, issues with cruise planner refunds) you have to deal with multiple people.

These days there are fewer individual agents and I am not even sure about how to find a good one.

Personally, if I would book directly with the cruise line unless I get something significant from the travel agent.

• Thanks 1

Our past experiences there is a benefit for booking onboard. Reduced deposits, OBCs (amounts depending on stateroom category and length of cruise) and a bottle of wine for each leg of a B2B cruise we book. I never have the bookings automatically transferred to the TA on record. I'll make that decision we we get home and speak with the TA. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Our past experiences there is a benefit for booking onboard. Reduced deposits, OBCs (amounts depending on stateroom category and length of cruise) and a bottle of wine for each leg of a B2B cruise we book. I never have the bookings automatically transferred to the TA on record. I'll make that decision we we get home and speak with the TA. 

Really? Do you have to ask for that bottle of wine for each leg you book? We were on the Constellation Holiday cruise and not only booked a Galapagos cruise, but also an Antarctica B2B cruise and didn't receive any bottles of wine. But then, we were in an AQ cabin if that makes a difference.

I do not believe in FCC's, so do everything possible not to get one.   I also do not believe in big box companies; however, they do have their place.  I do believe in doing my own research, along with securing a particular cabin/suite onboard.  We all have our own reasons for using a TA, even though some will tell you that your particular TA is not as good as their TA and yada, yada, yada...  Honestly, if you are happy, that's all that matters...may your glass be half-full and may you continue to enjoy traveling the world!  Cruise Critc is a great source of information that has made many of us a lot wiser about cruising!  We do not learn from being perfect; we learn from our mistakes...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1