How Will The Russia /Ukraine Situation Impact Europe Travels

mcrcruiser

1 minute ago, CruiserBruce said:

As I recall, it was, at least for awhile, noted in your cruise contract that they could, in fact, charge you for it after final payment.

If I recall correctly, bulk contracts are negotiated for a set # of years.  If a cruise sails following a renegotiated contract, and the bulk price has increased, then the cost is pro-rated across all further sailings.  Or something to that affect.  Wiser heads than I should know.

7 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

As I recall, it was, at least for awhile, noted in your cruise contract that they could, in fact, charge you for it after final payment.

Thank goodness for Control F.

"If the sailing is close to departure, the cruise line may choose to include the additional taxes and/or fees on your shipboard account. Cruise lines reserve the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing (including fuel surcharges), even if the fare has already been paid in full."

Has HAL actually done this in the past?

Edited by PACD_JG

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I feel sorry for the private tour companies and guides in St. Petersburg who are not at fault in this and will suffer another season without income.

And of course one must feel even more sympathy for the people in the Ukraine.

I would hope that cruise lines and tour companies would permanently cease visiting St. Petersburg and any other ports controlled by Russia.  We should never forget the horror that is being waged against the Ukraine.  

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

"If the sailing is close to departure, the cruise line may choose to include the additional taxes and/or fees on your shipboard account. Cruise lines reserve the right to collect any increases in effect at the time of sailing (including fuel surcharges), even if the fare has already been paid in full."

I don't recall they ever did it. There has been bursts of discussion every time the price of oil goes up, but it never happened to us, and I don't recall anyone mentioning it actually happening with HAL. I do recall cruisers on other lines mentioning it w small number of times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

According to folks on the NCL board, NCL has today cancelled all port calls to St. Petersburg through the end of 2022. 

We were booked on Oceania (owned by NCL) in August, and we received a similar notice today as well.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

If I recall correctly, bulk contracts are negotiated for a set # of years.  If a cruise sails following a renegotiated contract, and the bulk price has increased, then the cost is pro-rated across all further sailings.  Or something to that affect.  Wiser heads than I should know.

The process is called hedging, and the contracts can be of many lengths. Southwest famously had very long hedged contracts, that kept their airfares low for a very long time, and allowed Southwest to get a rep as a low cost carrier, which really isn't true since those contracts expired. But that also soured other vendors on long contracts, so today the contracts aren't as long as historically. However, as @PACD_JG just documented, the clause is in fact there, and given the cruise lines aren't sailing full, making money...it wouldn't surprise me if they popped up.

54 minutes ago, bartexas said:

We were booked on Oceania (owned by NCL) in August, and we received a similar notice today as well.

We were also booked on an August Baltic cruise on Oceania that we canceled last month. That cruise was a pre cruise for our Aug. 21 Oosterdam 14-day Greek cruise. It is now being reported on the Oceania CC site that Oceania is canceling in addition to stops in St Petersburg all stops in Istanbul and the Black Sea because Russia has a naval blockade of the Black Sea entrance. I am now wondering if our overnight port stop in Istanbul is in jeopardy. I am not complaining as I really feel for the good and free people in the Ukraine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

The process is called hedging, and the contracts can be of many lengths. Southwest famously had very long hedged contracts, that kept their airfares low for a very long time, and allowed Southwest to get a rep as a low cost carrier, which really isn't true since those contracts expired. But that also soured other vendors on long contracts, so today the contracts aren't as long as historically. However, as @PACD_JG just documented, the clause is in fact there, and given the cruise lines aren't sailing full, making money...it wouldn't surprise me if they popped up.

I would question whether the market would accept imposing a surcharge right now.  Demand is such that ships are sailing well below capacity.  We also have seen oil over $70 before and the lines did not implement the surcharges.

47 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I would question whether the market would accept imposing a surcharge right now.  Demand is such that ships are sailing well below capacity.  We also have seen oil over $70 before and the lines did not implement the surcharges.

You may be correct.  On the other hand, oil hit $100 today, and the cruise lines aren't making money. It is a small way to stem the red ink, and as Omicron fades, demand is likely to increase. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Carnival & I believe Princess did it a number of years ago. I remember having to pay it.

This was posted sometime today on the Holland America website:

Important Cruise Updates

Last updated: February 24, 2022

We understand that you may have some concerns regarding your upcoming sailing given the evolving events with Ukraine and Russia.

We are closely monitoring the situation as the safety and security of our guests and team members are our highest priority. Should we amend any of our published itineraries, we will promptly advise booked guests and their travel advisors.

Please note that our contact centers will not have any additional information at this time. We appreciate your understanding and patience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, JHU said:

I would hope that cruise lines and tour companies would permanently cease visiting St. Petersburg and any other ports controlled by Russia.  We should never forget the horror that is being waged against the Ukraine.  

This. Excellent post.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, JHU said:

Permanently is a long, long time. Many Baltic cruises go to Germany. Should they permanently ban that because of what they did to cause World War II?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JHU said:

So then, using your rationale, we should also never visit Germany due to the horrors of WWII?

Edited to add:  Oops, I see that ontheweb beat me to it.

Edited by cruisemom42

16 hours ago, JHU said:

Agree.  And whether or not the cruise lines decide to visit Russia, we will not.  What they are doing needs to be stopped.  (Ask the Czechs and Poles, and French and Dutch, etc....how this ends when no-one stops bully/tyrant...as in 1939)

• Like 1

To bring this back to original question—I received an update this morning from HAL that the situation is being monitored.  Any updates on itinerary changes will be forthcoming as events dictate.

i, for one, booked this Baltics portion of my B2B cruises on the Rotterdam for this fall.  It is an area I have wanted to visit, and the time was right.  How was I to know what would be happening?  I have had other cruises that occurred when the timing didn’t work out for the best, but such is life.

My prayers for all involved with hope that common sense will prevail.

• Like 5

I think it’s wise to monitor current events,  in the past we cancelled a cruise with several stops in China when they wrongly imprisoned two Canadians.   
But situations do change and we very much enjoyed our replacement cruise to Japan.   We also were very impacted by seeing the peace memorial in Hiroshima as we have been by the memorials in Berlin. We can learn from the past. 
We have been fortunate to visit St Petersburg twice in the past.  I am also encouraged to see the protests against the war within Russia.  Praying for peace. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 4

On 2/24/2022 at 5:54 AM, KirkNC said:

After today one has to believe it will be quite awhile before one can visit St Petersburg on a cruise ship.

and even much much longer before the IOC ever gives another Olympics to Russia.

I am so glad I got to see St Pete's back in 2018 even for just one day.  Hermitage was great.

• Like 1