To Print or Not to Print

We are finally about to return to the bounding main, and have made arrangements to get our Covid testing done prior to boarding. What is a little confusing is RCCL's requirement of "PROOF" of a negative test result.  Some places on their website the refer to the requirement that it be "printed" ....elsewhere it refers to an "email".  So, which is it.  Paper, or image on your cell phone as you board?  Thank you for your help from those who have recently sailed.

Doesn't matter.  The staff doing the checking are only looking at the type of test, the date of the test and the Negative test result.  A paper copy is easier for staff, but you if you have it on your phone, to be sure you can show all three (test type, test date, negative result).   

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RC Twosome said:

We are finally about to return to the bounding main, and have made arrangements to get our Covid testing done prior to boarding. What is a little confusing is RCCL's requirement of "PROOF" of a negative test result.  Some places on their website the refer to the requirement that it be "printed" ....elsewhere it refers to an "email".  So, which is it.  Paper, or image on your cell phone as you board?  Thank you for your help from those who have recently sailed.

Always bring a printed paper copy in the event you can't get to the site, break your phone, or lose it. I always have printed copies of everything in my computer case. I don't know how many times I have seen people trying to get to their digital copy and can't get it. 

• Like 3

I too bring both with me.  Recently there were 3 of us going and one person's internet wasn't working and they wouldn't let him on until he found an email to verify his negative test.  Delayed for about 45 minutes but he finally found it.  

So are you saying they will look at a document on your phone?  Since I have never seen one of these negative test result docs I have no idea how much scrolling around someone would have to do to witness all the data you're referring to - all of which make sense.  I have to crack up sometimes over how difficult RCCL creates their write-ups.  Talk about convoluted text sometimes.  Yikes!

* And yet their sister cruise line, Celebrity, can state the same topic much more clearly in half the total verbage!

2 minutes ago, RC Twosome said:

So are you saying they will look at a document on your phone? 

I can't say this for every cruise terminal but Port Everglades on Jan 8 - employees in the terminal were looking at phones for test results.

1 hour ago, RC Twosome said:

Piece of paper, took all of 2 seconds to verify.  People next to us could not find both vaccination records on their single phone. 

• Like 3

We just had them in digital form for our cruises in September and October...no issues at all.  For our cruise out of Barcelona they specified digital was prefered if possible.  

Of course we had screen shots ready to go, and the emails easily accessible if needed...and had them for both of us on both phones, but each showed their own to speed things up.  In our case we were faster/mor organized than people we saw digging through piles of paper (and others we saw trying to get something to load on a phone).  Whichever form you choose, do yourself and everyone else  favor and be organized and ready 🙂

• Like 2

I have my CDC Booster shot now included on my CDC Covid info. I saved it on my phone,email & printed a copy. At 64 , I do a mixture of tech & old school, just makes me feel like I’m covered. Our son … everything’s the on his phone .. bills, medical insurance .. etc. That would freak me out to not have a paperback up! 😁

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 2

I was traveling and didn't have convenient access to a printer and presented only my phone for both testing and proof of vaccination without any difficulty. This was the emed test result and the Docket app to be specific. Very quick and easy.

11 hours ago, binro01 said:

I would always have a backup printed copy just in case technology decides to be technology. Fails at the most inopportune time. 

Same. 

Plus, it's just easier to navigate, no scrolling needed, when you use a printed copy.

24 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I was traveling and didn't have convenient access to a printer and presented only my phone for both testing and proof of vaccination without any difficulty. This was the emed test result and the Docket app to be specific. Very quick and easy.

Pretty much same. 

For my first cruise back, I took my home-test in the Airbnb the morning of my cruise, so I didn't have a way to print it, so they used my Navica app.  I did, however, have my physical vaccination card in my poor person's lamination (Ziploc sammich bag).  

For my current cruise, I took the test at home and was able to print out my results.

I'm a printer.  This includes flying.  Too clumsy and prone to dropping my phone when trying to scan it to board a plane or showing a test result.  

I keep my test letter and setsail pass in a plastic cover holder thing in my backpack always in the same area for easy access when needed.   I can pull that out quicker than I can unlock my phone and find an app or image.  

The phone is already stored in my backpack along with anything that could set off the metal detectors so it makes for a quick terminal entrance and no delays at security.  Through in a flash as long I don't get stuck behind one of those who appears to have never seen the concept of a metal detector and needs 10 minutes to go through every pocket, removing massive amounts of jewelry or a belt buckle the size of Texas.  

• Like 2

I found having it printed easier. Then not juggling between phone and passport and printouts. All printouts in passport book so phone can just be away and not also on my hand. I’m August I had info on phone and it was a juggling act. It December we had all printed and it was much easier for us!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RC Twosome said:

So are you saying they will look at a document on your phone?  Since I have never seen one of these negative test result docs I have no idea how much scrolling around someone would have to do to witness all the data you're referring to - all of which make sense.  I have to crack up sometimes over how difficult RCCL creates their write-ups.  Talk about convoluted text sometimes.  Yikes!

* And yet their sister cruise line, Celebrity, can state the same topic much more clearly in half the total verbage!

take a screenshot of the result so you will have it ready.  The only scrolling you will do is having it ready to go beforehand in a separate window/screen.  When you get to the area that tests are checked, just pull up that window.  Exact same concept as a screenshot of your boarding pass for a plane.  Also if you dont want to do that a paper copy is fine.  But having your phone organized to do the results is much more efficient than struggling with paperwork in a folder.  IMO.  Only thing we have used in the US is our passports holders that hold our vaccine cards and passports and our phones.  We do print out paperwork just in case their end is incompetent (Barbados).  But have found it much more efficient to do this rather than juggling paperwork.  True story:  last time we had the paperwork to board the ship, husband put our passports on the counter to go through the paperwork folder to find something and left the passports.  Luckily the agent called us back.  We find the simple way the best.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I'm old and kind of tech challenged.  Or maybe I just love paper.  I bring printed everything.  I'll be "that person" at the airport that can't find their boarding pass😇

That's so funny....I love my high tech gadgets and always have everything on my phone, but always have a manila folder with everything as paper copy as well. Something about haven't it all there and able to actually see everything I guess.  

In December in Miami, came in handy as my iPhone wouldn't reconnect at the port entry (I swear I just had it up three minutes before getting out of the Uber), so I had to get the paper copies of our test results.  I'm sure the folks behind us in line were thankful I was able to do so quickly.

• Like 1

I have always and I will continue to print off everything I need to board a plane and cruise ship. Even though everything is on my phone when traveling. I don't want to be the one fumbling around on my phone holding up the line or process. I also don't trust the app.

Edited by davekathy