The Daily for Sunday 01/30/2022

richwmn

9 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

You just missed Christmas Eve day in 1989 - 16 degrees and freezing rain up in the Gainesville/Ocala area. Limbs breaking off of trees with the weight of the ice.  I don't know how far the nasty weather went down into the state - or choose not to remember.

We had some brutal cold spells in Chicago in the 80s. IIRC in 82 and again in 87 in the western suburbs where we lived the actual temps made it down to -28, not wind chill but actual temperature. I remember putting baggies on our Boxer's paws so they wouldn't freeze to the ground. I vowed during that 88 deep freeze that as soon as we could we were going to move to Florida.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Watching a broadcast of a live performance reminds me that @nancynana9950 had tickets to Come From Away in Schenectady NY this weekend but decided not to go due to their covid numbers.  I don't know how people feel about bootleg shows but I have seen a very nice bootleg performance of the show on youtube.  I would have been happy to share it with someone who had actually purchased a ticket to the show.

Roy

Roy, I've never seen Come From Away, and know it's highly regarded by many here. I found out that Apple TV filmed a live Broadway performance of it, which became available last September. I never had Apple TV, but when I bought my new iPad last year, I got a year for free (they now only give 3 months free with Apple purchases). So I've cued it up to watch.

54 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Vanessa, I hope the test is negative and that you feel better soon.  Could the cause be allergies, even in the cold, snowy weather?

Lenda

Lenda, I hope it's just a cold. I don't know what I'd be allergic to at this time of year. Although BFF was here for 3 days. He's the only person I've been around without a mask. I'm Waiting my 15 minutes for results now.

Edited to add: Negative by my reading. On the papers they show different positive examples, and their last one labeled as "faint" looks negative to my eye. But I shined a flashlight on it, and to me mine is clearly negative. 

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Then there is Irving, we adopted him to keep Neko company.  In 13 years they have hated each other. 

When our Springer Spaniel, Lucy, was three, we brought home a German Shepherd puppy to keep her company. For his entire life, she reminded him of her seniority, and constantly reminded us that she was meant to be an only dog, and this was HER house and HER family.

Twelve years later, Bear crossed the Rainbow Bridge, and Lucy finally got to be the only dog again. It broke her heart. She lost interest in life and crossed the bridge to join him a short time later.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I've mentioned a few times that I had planned to see a Baltimore Symphony concert Friday night featuring the Saint Saens Organ Symphony and was disappointed I felt the need to cancel due to the weather.  That performance itself was cancelled but ticket holders are getting to sea a live stream broadcast of today's matinee, and it's on my other laptop right now.  Still the first half with my favorite coming after intermission.

Watching a broadcast of a live performance reminds me that @nancynana9950 had tickets to Come From Away in Schenectady NY this weekend but decided not to go due to their covid numbers.  I don't know how people feel about bootleg shows but I have seen a very nice bootleg performance of the show on youtube.  I would have been happy to share it with someone who had actually purchased a ticket to the show.

Roy

Thanks for the info about the show. I will check it out. I am surprised I could respond. I have been reading but most days I have to jump through hoops to get CC to work. I lose patience rather quickly but I am still here rooting for those celebrating and sending healing thoughts to those in need. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Roy, I've never seen Come From Away, and know it's highly regarded by many here. I found out that Apple TV filmed a live Broadway performance of it, which became available last September. I never had Apple TV, but when I bought my new iPad last year, I got a year for free (they now only give 3 months free with Apple purchases). So I've cued it up to watch.

Lenda, I hope it's just a cold. I don't know what I'd be allergic to at this time of year. Although BFF was here for 3 days. He's the only person I've been around without a mask. I'm Waiting my 15 minutes for results now.

Edited to add: Negative by my reading. On the papers they show different positive examples, and their last one labeled as "faint" looks negative to my eye. But I shined a flashlight on it, and to me mine is clearly negative. 

Glad the test was negative.  My thought about allergies was maybe something new in the house or a different food or food brand.

Lenda

• Like 13

Hopefully it is negative but the rapid tests aren’t good with detecting the omicrom variant, it is often more in the throat.  They are changing some guidance to also swab the throat, prior to the nose.  So you might want to retest in a day or two.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Glad the test was negative.  My thought about allergies was maybe something new in the house or a different food or food brand.

Lenda

Maybe, although I can't think of anything new here.

17 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Hopefully it is negative but the rapid tests aren’t good with detecting the omicrom variant, it is often more in the throat.  They are changing some guidance to also swab the throat, prior to the nose.  So you might want to retest in a day or two.

Yes, that's why last time I followed up with a PCR. I will retest at home maybe on Tuesday. Perhaps try the throat and nose.

• Like 16

We chose to go with the "Leave a message because we don't answer if we don't know you" because our home phone number is the same as Fed Ex-just a different area code. And Amazon Customer Service can't figure it out either that it's not a local number. And to top it off, we're one digit off from the local tow truck company. We've had many midnight calls after the bars close for help. At least those have tapered off now that dial phones are almost extinct. The rain is back but at least it's warm-ish, compared to everywhere else. Have a great week!

• Like 15

30 minutes ago, bennybear said:

It used to be we said “Think positive”;  now it’s “Think negative!”

Hope for @JazzyV, it stays negative!

• Like 14

Thanks for all the daily reports.

It's a hot sunny day, about 24 C.  We have been delivering Meals on Wheels today.

Fortunately,the PM and Governor General have both tested negative, the PM had visited a school last week amid other visits.

Best wishes to all on the Care list.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 16

Before we started working from home full-time, my old office phone number was one digit different than the fax machine in Accounts Payable. I would have so many voicemails with that horrible screeching sound fax machines make when trying to transmit 🤦‍♂️

• Like 8

1 hour ago, srdancer said:

@dfish Oliver is adorable.

Maybe River and Ocean’s little sister will be called Lake. Some celebs have used that.  They have used some odd ones. Some celeb and spouse named their son Kal-el.

Thank you!  He is.   I don't think I'll mention Lake to them.  I don't want to encourage it.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

@srdancer  That's what I was thinking.  Lake, like the race car driver Lake Speed. (showing my age)-Just not Stream or Puddles.  Sea, would be OK.  or Wave.  

I guess we could also go with Picaboo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

10 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Blessed morning to all our friends. Thank you Rich for the Daily.

Last night we had a friend over and I made a quiche and salad. Tonight we have chicken poblano soup and French bread.

Prayers sent early this morning. Thanks for the sermon Graham.

Happy to hear your DD tested negative Sharon. Hoping StLouisSal is feeling better.

@kazu someone should invent a heated snow mat so you wouldn't need to shovel. We know friends in Idaho that have heated sidewalks and driveways. 

Thank you Roy for the prayers and celebration lists. 

Supposed to be a beautiful 70 today. Tonight starts rain and tomorrow 100% chance of rain. 

Have a wonderful day and nice week ahead. 

When we had a house in Idaho, we put down these heated mats all over the place, because there were a lot of stone pathways and steps that would get really icy and dangerous.  I loved those things.  They were spendy, but held up really well.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/HeatTrak/page/36BF3FD2-425C-4B55-93C2-07A4EE21E589?ref_=ast_bln

• Like 7

12 hours ago, dfish said:

I would like to introduce you to Oliver Scott, born this morning at 6:18 am in Sarasota, Florida.  He is 20.75 inches long and weighs 8 pounds, 15 ounces.  His proud mama is my niece and Goddaughter.  

image000000.thumb.JPG.d76c301a79cc4ca31c8faa51058c26a6.JPG

He has his daddy's round face.  

What a doll baby!  Congratulations to your whole family, Debbie.  Little Oliver is quite an addition!   😍

Maxine

• Like 6

I am surprised, when discussing "special" children's names that no one mentioned Elon Musk's latest child.  It is something like X AE-Xii altho the A and E are attached like Greek letters.  Not sure if it even is pronounceable.

Received an offer on my log house this weekend so looks like it is sold as long as it survives VA loan scrutiny.

Ray

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I am surprised, when discussing "special" children's names that no one mentioned Elon Musk's latest child.  It is something like X AE-Xii altho the A and E are attached like Greek letters.  Not sure if it even is pronounceable.

Received an offer on my log house this weekend so looks like it is sold as long as it survives VA loan scrutiny.

Ray

Congratulations!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

I was wondering what they are actually going to call the child. I have no idea how to pronounce that either.

Congratulations!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Congratulations.

Graham.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

What a doll baby!  Congratulations to your whole family, Debbie.  Little Oliver is quite an addition!   😍

Maxine

Thank you!   My brother is over the top with his newest grandchild.  He wants to move to Florida so he can coach Oliver in hoops or baseball.  

7 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Some kids like those names, some don't.  I think it is kind of cruel to saddle a kid with a name that is totally out there.   But, given that name, I guess we should be thankful for River, Ocean, Ophelia, and perhaps, Puddle.  

1 hour ago, JAM37 said:

I was wondering what they are actually going to call the child. I have no idea how to pronounce that either.

Congratulations!

It is pronounced Johnny.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

That's great news about the sale.  Fingers crossed the loan goes through.🤞

• Like 2