Packing for an Alaska cruise

letsgocruising58

4 minutes ago, letsgocruising58 said:

I am use to packing for Caribbean cruises, going on an Alaska cruise in July, what do you pack?  Do you pack shorts , jeans bathing suit, warm clothing , jackets boots , please help!

Layers.  Short sleeved shirts & long sleeved shirts.  Pants (but I usually take one pair of shorts, also - you never know).  Fleece jacket, ear muffs/hat.  Yes to bathing suit.

I also have a down jacket, but, for most people, that's overkill.  I don't do cold well.

Depending on what excursion/activities you're interested in, water resistant boots/shoes would be good to include.  

2 hours ago, letsgocruising58 said:

I am use to packing for Caribbean cruises, going on an Alaska cruise in July, what do you pack?  Do you pack shorts , jeans bathing suit, warm clothing , jackets boots , please help!

If you’re planning on spending active time outdoors, the last thing you’d want is jeans. They’re heavy, take long to dry if they get wet and they can be very restrictive of movement. I suggest you invest in a couple of pairs of convertible hiking/climbing pants. Lower legs zip off and you’ve got shorts. Lightweight, quick drying, compact for packing.....

And, of course, think lightweight layers.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, letsgocruising58 said:

I was exactly in the same boat (no pun intended) as you are now. The wife and I went on an7 day Alaskan cruise out of Seattle back in June 2010. The weather in our hometown , just south of Atlanta, Ga was 93 degrees w/humidity it was 103. I had NO idea what to pack, did not know anyone who had been there and had never heard of this message board. So the wife and I packed  the typical things, jeans ,short sleeved shirts, tennis shoes. It was cold, sailing up Tracy's Arm it was 25 degrees w a 25 knot wind across the deck though the scenery was beautiful, you couldn't spend much time either on the balcony OR out on deck in short sleeves. We went below, to the ship's clothing store and bought two hooded sweatshirts and wore them as an outer garment for 7 days. You might want to check the Alaska board on this website. Also, try checking the weather there to get an idea how the temps are running but be aware weather, especially there can change quickly, If, you decide on rain gear, several folks have mentioned an inexpensive rain poncho like the type you'd buy at Wal-Mart/Target. The post about buying clothes that you can wear in layers and waterproof shoes are excellent ideas. Just be thankful you found this board, most of these folks have been to Alaska several times. They will gladly help you. Be prepared for a trip of a lifetime. Scenery is unbelievable. ENJOY your cruise !

Mac 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SmoothFlying said:

I was exactly in the same boat (no pun intended) as you are now. The wife and I went on an7 day Alaskan cruise out of Seattle back in June 2010. The weather in our hometown , just south of Atlanta, Ga was 93 degrees w/humidity it was 103. I had NO idea what to pack, did not know anyone who had been there and had never heard of this message board. So the wife and I packed  the typical things, jeans ,short sleeved shirts, tennis shoes. It was cold, sailing up Tracy's Arm it was 25 degrees w a 25 knot wind across the deck though the scenery was beautiful, you couldn't spend much time either on the balcony OR out on deck in short sleeves. We went below, to the ship's clothing store and bought two hooded sweatshirts and wore them as an outer garment for 7 days. You might want to check the Alaska board on this website. Also, try checking the weather there to get an idea how the temps are running but be aware weather, especially there can change quickly, If, you decide on rain gear, several folks have mentioned an inexpensive rain poncho like the type you'd buy at Wal-Mart/Target. The post about buying clothes that you can wear in layers and waterproof shoes are excellent ideas. Just be thankful you found this board, most of these folks have been to Alaska several times. They will gladly help you. Be prepared for a trip of a lifetime. Scenery is unbelievable. ENJOY your cruise !

Mac 

Just to be clear: if you are going to be active, you do not want anything that is “waterproof.” Such items stop moisture in both directions. “Water resistant, Wicking, etc” are the terms to look for. Layers, convertible pants are important.

And, again, jeans, wool, cotton, down feathers should be avoided if at all possible. They are slow to dry, bulky, heavy (yes, including wet down feathers). Instead, choose products made for active wear in changing weather conditions. Multipurpose outdoor shoes with breathable “gortex” panels are a good choice. 

As for OP’s question about best brands: Start with REI (Recreational Equipment Inc) which carries all sorts of great brands (e.g., North Face, Patagonia, et al.) plus their own gear.

Also worth a look are companies like Land’s End and LL Bean.

13 hours ago, Nana57 said:

Whats a good Fleece jacket you recommend?

Unless you need an very high quality fleece jacket or vest for serious hiking or camping, buying an

end-of-the-season marked down fleece jacket or vest should suit your tourist needs.  Check Lands End, or even Macy's.  There is LL Bean, Columbia and REI for upper end fleece products.  Second hand stores may also be a good resource for an article of clothing you may have no interest in wearing once back home.

Basically, the fleece will help with the cold and wind, and will help keep you insulated if it rains.  Fleece is your friend in the Alaskan and NW climate. 

5 hours ago, capriccio said:

The top layer is always a waterproof jacket that is big enough to fit a fleece under it.  Boots take up too much luggage space.  We just waterproof (with silicone spray) waterproof our shoes. 

Absolutely NO on waterproof if any active movement (for the obvious reason mentioned above). Pay the extra bucks and get breathable/ultra water resistant materials.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Absolutely NO on waterproof if any active movement (for the obvious reason mentioned above). Pay the extra bucks and get breathable/ultra water resistant materials.

@Flatbush Flyer Not all people want to buy what may be a totally new wardrobe that may get little future use for just a few day cruise.

The silicone spray has worked for us on 3 Alaska cruises, 1 round South America and 1 Norway cruise at very low cost and no need to add to our existing wardrobe.  But the most active movement was walking (up to 5 miles a day) so maybe that doesn't qualify as 'active'.  As far as outerwear, I've had a Gore-tex jacket that I did buy for our first Alaska cruise in 2007 because I needed a jacket that has been great.

@letsgocruising58Throw in a few short sleeve shirts and lightweight pants/shorts. After telling our kids, their spouses, and our granddaughter to bring layers for our July 2018 cruise (our third to Alaska; their first) it was short sleeve and shorts/lightweight pants weather.  The granddaughter and her dad went swimming everyday.  They did grumble about their stuffed suitcases but agreed that the weather was perfect.

Have a wonderful time.  Alaska is wonderful regardless of the weather and the first time trip is magical!

• Like 1

There are a ton of Alaska clothing posts. Here is a fairly recent one that was active. Don’t over think packing. Most people already have most of what they need for an Alaska trip. After 11 Alaska cruises I take nothing but jeans and tennis shoes plus some formal night duds.  Of course, if you plan on hiking up a muddy trail someplace  you might want some light hikers.  A light rainproof jacket with a hood is necessary.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2822898-1st-time-to-alaskawondering-what-to-bring-for-clothes/

23 hours ago, SmoothFlying said:

Mac 

Thank you!

14 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Unless you need an very high quality fleece jacket or vest for serious hiking or camping, buying an

end-of-the-season marked down fleece jacket or vest should suit your tourist needs.  Check Lands End, or even Macy's.  There is LL Bean, Columbia and REI for upper end fleece products.  Second hand stores may also be a good resource for an article of clothing you may have no interest in wearing once back home.

Basically, the fleece will help with the cold and wind, and will help keep you insulated if it rains.  Fleece is your friend in the Alaskan and NW climate. 

We are talking about July in coastal Alaska - where daytime temps are likely to be in mid-high sixties — and rarely as low as 50;  waterproof windbreakers, quick drying fabrics generally advisable, but fleece and down jackets really would be overdoing it.

Personally, I would not bring or recommend a down jacket, but I still stand behind my recommendation for fleece.  In addition: a breathable raincoat (water proof / wind proof).  The idea is that no rain gets through your rain jacket, but your skin can still breath.  Also recommended - some sort of water proof shoes to keep your feet dry is also important

Fleece is quick drying. Fleece would also take up less room in a suitcase than the sweatshirt that someone has to buy while on the cruise because they needed outerwear because they were too cold. 

Why do you need appropriate outerwear? The day that the ship visits the glacier can be cold and possibly windy.   Being on deck to experience the glacier, one wants to be comfortable in whatever weather conditions it happens to be.  The chance of at least some rain in Ketchikan is high.  If a passengers plan to do any active excursions that involves a boat (whale watching, wildlife viewing), it would be better to be over prepared, rather than under dressed (you can add or subtract layers).  Finally, arriving back to Seattle - it can be very cold and windy early mornings on the Seattle waterfront, especially if we have a layer of marine air.  Pier 91 can be quite cold and windy in the early mornings.

Folks need to made their own decisions about clothing.  Those of us from the NW are pretty consistent in our advice to layer.  It does not need to be expensive, especially now with seasonal mark down sales.

Stay warm, and stay dry!

9 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

SNIP

Folks need to made their own decisions about clothing.  Those of us from the NW are pretty consistent in our advice to layer.  It does not need to be expensive, especially now with seasonal mark down sales.

Stay warm, and stay dry!

As well as layering, avoid cotton. If it gets wet it won’t provide insulation and may even make you colder. 

Stay dry in order to stay warm!

• Like 1

I am watching this (and the numerous similar threads esp. on the Alaska forums) with interest as I am considering an Alaskan cruise.

I have no problem with the clothing issues …. Layer y

up and use a Goretex or similar … Where we live is not a dissimilar experience with wind rain etc. Walking the dog on the beach last week and it was just above freezing then the northerly wind off the North Sea brought the wind chill into effect. An Alaskan summer cannot compete 😁

However, a more serious comment .. no one has mentioned sunscreen/sunblock which for me would be an essential item? Am I correct in thinking the ‘request’ is for biodegradable/ environmentally friendly ones?

8 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

However, a more serious comment .. no one has mentioned sunscreen/sunblock which for me would be an essential item? Am I correct in thinking the ‘request’ is for biodegradable/ environmentally friendly ones?

While environmentally friendly products are generally preferable, the most obvious need for that sort of sunscreen  —- while swimming in natural water - is not all that likely when on an Alaska cruise.

We never have needed boots on our four Alaska cruises, good walking shoes worked great.  Layers are the key - lightweight longsleeve shirts (32 degree are inexpensive and work great) and bottoms, layered with long sleeve shirt, fleece and a windproof/watered instant top layer was plenty for us.  Knit hat and gloves were only needed at the glacier sail day.  We did a helicopter trip and were supplied all the coats, pants and boots needed.  We also wear hiking pants as they are comfortable, have pockets and can wipe clean.  In Skagway we were hiking in shorts - every day is an adventure.  

I've been on 6 Alaska cruises and I have never needed super cold weather clothing or waterproof/resistant anything.  I live in Northern California and I don't even own a "winter coat".  If it gets real cold here I just put on a second sweatshirt under my fleece or windbreaker.

What I do in Alaska (which is pretty much the same thing I do at home in the winter):  jeans and t-shirts.  A couple of sweatshirts.  A windbreaker and/or a fleece jacket.  Sneakers or similar, but bring more than one pair.  If you get rained on, sure your shoes will get wet.  But, if have another pair you won't have to wear those still wet shoes the next day.  And yes, stupid me has done this more than once. 

In my experience rain is a much bigger issue than the cold.  It can be sunny and beautiful, or overcast to downright drizzly.  Or it can rain, rain, rain.  I probably will invest in better footwear were I to go again.  Bring an umbrella or poncho. 

The coldest day in your entire life will be on deck on glacier day.  On that day just wear everything you brought which hopefully includes a pair of gloves and a warm hat.  You really don't want to stay inside and miss all that gorgeous scenery.

One more thing.  There are t-shirt shops everywhere,which also sell sweathshirts and fleece jackets for not too much.  Just in case you need one or two more. 

44 minutes ago, Blondilu said:

The coldest day in your entire life will be on deck on glacier day.  On that day just wear everything you brought which hopefully includes a pair of gloves and a warm hat. 

I find Hot Hands chemical hand/toe warmers are extremely useful on those days.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Have you ever spent a winter north of Savannah, GA?

I did chuckle at that.  Working the bobsled track in Calgary when it was -20 and the wind was whipping could be #1 for me.  

There are better jeans than those heavy Levi's or Wranglers people think about.  Don't discount getting a pair.  A fleece jacket, a rain shell, maybe a poly vest and I think that would be good.  A beanie (or toque for those above our Northern border) and some gloves for that day where it could be cold.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Have you ever spent a winter north of Savannah, GA?

LOL, no I haven't.  I probably should have said the coldest day in MY entire life.  

In Alaska I was never really cold.  Wet for sure.  On glacier day I felt like one of those pieces of ice floating around in the water.  Very, very cold. 

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I did chuckle at that.  Working the bobsled track in Calgary when it was -20 and the wind was whipping could be #1 for me.  

Cannon Mountain, NH was my coldest - stuck on the damn tram for a couple of hours when mechanism jammed at about -15   (started my conversion to more southerly February activities).