Apex vs Reflection

CruiserKris34

Finally decided to book a 2/26 cruise & jump thru the Covid hoops!  So, trying to talk my husband into choosing Apex over Reflection.  It is $788 more for the 2 of us (inside cabin).  He is all for the lower cost, but I want the newer ship 🙂  The itinerary doesn't really matter to us....were from cold Indiana, so just want warm weather!  I told him there are FOUR complimentary dining rooms on Apex LOL.  He likes food haha.  Opinions?  Thanks, Kris

Big price difference!

We loved the range of speciality dining on Reflection. You could eat in the speciality restaurants every night with the money you saved or look at a balcony room…

I think many people are feeling exactly the same…I think many are hoping that as more E class ships are available prices on Edge/Apex may become more in line with S and M class.

• Like 3

We love both- our favorite S class is the reflection- love the lawn club grill, martini bar- and the ships layout.  Also enjoyed the Edge- sister of the Apex.  However yes, the the ship is older but immaculate and well maintained.  If it were me, I would get a balcony on the reflection for about the same price as a tiny inside stateroom on the Apex.

• Like 4

Apex for sure. The 4 MDRs are fantastic and the ship more elegant and luxurious.
Even Oceanview Cafe is a notch higher.

E-class - been on Edge and Apex - are our favorites.

BTW: I have seen inside staterooms on Apex and thought they are huge.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 3

Under this scenario (and also an eater), I would go with the Reflection and book 3 or 4 speciality dining with the savings.  Since you are going in inside, the balcony debacle of E-class doesn't really play into it.  The Apex being a new boat - will have all the bells and whistles and top staff as it is currently their showpiece ship.

One other element to take into account.  I don't know how you typically spend your evenings but I found the Edge (Apex sister ship) to be a little mundane.  They really have 3 options for bars - the martini bar, eden bar & night club.  The big openness of the martini bar & eden bar remind me of big lobby bars at giant convention hotels.  I personally appreciate the quaintness of the small areas of the Reflection - martini bar, cellar masters, ensemble bar, world class bar etc.  And for me - I love the Sky lounge.  It's one of my favorite places to visit on the ship (which the Apex doesn't have).

Of course this is one persons opinion.  Good luck & enjoy your cruise.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, BillfromWV said:

My wife and I prefer Reflection/Equinox over Edge/Apex.

Thus far, we also love the Reflection- however we also went on the Edge and it was great- will try the Apex this winter.  If you are in a suite- the Edge class amenities win.  The suite deck is wonderful!

• Like 1

Since Oct. we've been on Edge [infinite balcony] Reflection [concierge aft balcony]  and Apex [sky suite]  We loved the Edge and Apex for their trendy style and 4 main dining rooms. I think of the 3, the crew was the best on the Reflection.  The Reflection has not been revolutionized as of yet, so the decor is a bit dated.  I think the price may reflect this fact.

Rollie

We are sailing on 2/26/23 on Reflection and would love to have cruise friends.  You could check out the roll call for both sailings and see if there is anything interesting there.

Definitely Apex for the newer ship; however, it "might" be hard to do S class in the future.  if you are both set on different reasons and neither of you will budge, just flip a coin or do RPS.  I am sure you would like Reflection, but I understand why you want Apex.  Either way you cannot lose.

• 1 year later...

Hi

We are on Apex right now.  I plan to do a review once we’re home.  30 X cruises and first time on the Edge Class.  She is a wonderful ship.  Clean, new and the shows are to die for. However were lost. Took us 2 days to figure things out.  

Reflection is our favorite S.  She’s  not old but in her prime.   I say save the money and go her.  Use the $700 and try the special restaurants. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Hi

We are on Apex right now.  I plan to do a review once we’re home.  30 X cruises and first time on the Edge Class.  She is a wonderful ship.  Clean, new and the shows are to die for. However were lost. Took us 2 days to figure things out.  

Reflection is our favorite S.  She’s  not old but in her prime.   I say save the money and go her.  Use the $700 and try the special restaurants. 

Even more than Silhouhette that has been refurbished?

2 hours ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Hi

How has the internet been on board?  I purchased the upgraded internet for our April Apex cruise, and hoping it is worthy of streaming live sports, and video conferencing. 

We've sailed on both the Apex and Reflection. (Leaving for the Apex in 2 weeks to go again). If you like traditional cruising, the reflection is the better option. It has the classic ballroom MDR, and general feel of a classic cruise ship. If you are a food person and want to try many different places, the price difference may benefit you to go with the reflection and use the extra funds on specialty dining. 

The Apex is a nice ship if you want a more modern cruise, the technology is fun if you are a tech head, and don't mind using your phone for things. You are correct you'll have 4 different MDRs but in reality, these are just the ballroom MDR of the reflection split into 4 different rooms. Yes, they have a theme, and you have some specials in each to match the overall theme of the spot, but the bulk of the menu is shared across all MDR's, the big difference is the fact they are split up giving it a much more modern restaurant feeling vs the bulk ballroom style of the Reflection. 

Both ships will have great activities, it's a celebrity ship so the average age will be a bit older, but you'll find younger people on the newer edge ships. We are in our mid to late 30's and enjoy the newer ships more for the smaller dining venues. If we go on the reflection or older ships we'll pay for the AQ upgrade for blu to get the smaller venue. 

IMHO if you are looking for a food-driven cruise, and you aren't worried about the ports or they are the same between both options. I would do the reflection and save the $800 to go mad at the specialty dinning restaurants, that's where you'll have the best selection of different foods to try.  

3 hours ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

1 hour ago, cmaleblanc said:

I would do the reflection and save the $800 to go mad at the specialty dinning restaurants

OP's question was 2 years ago. I am sure their ship has already sailed. 🙂

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

OP's question was 2 years ago. I am sure their ship has already sailed. 🙂

HAAHAHAHAH didn't even read the Date/time of the OP's post LOL. I just read context...LOL that's what happens when I start posting on CC too early. 

Edited by cmaleblanc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cmaleblanc said:

We've sailed on both the Apex and Reflection. (Leaving for the Apex in 2 weeks to go again). If you like traditional cruising, the reflection is the better option. It has the classic ballroom MDR, and general feel of a classic cruise ship. If you are a food person and want to try many different places, the price difference may benefit you to go with the reflection and use the extra funds on specialty dining. 

The Apex is a nice ship if you want a more modern cruise, the technology is fun if you are a tech head, and don't mind using your phone for things. You are correct you'll have 4 different MDRs but in reality, these are just the ballroom MDR of the reflection split into 4 different rooms. Yes, they have a theme, and you have some specials in each to match the overall theme of the spot, but the bulk of the menu is shared across all MDR's, the big difference is the fact they are split up giving it a much more modern restaurant feeling vs the bulk ballroom style of the Reflection. 

Both ships will have great activities, it's a celebrity ship so the average age will be a bit older, but you'll find younger people on the newer edge ships. We are in our mid to late 30's and enjoy the newer ships more for the smaller dining venues. If we go on the reflection or older ships we'll pay for the AQ upgrade for blu to get the smaller venue. 

IMHO if you are looking for a food-driven cruise, and you aren't worried about the ports or they are the same between both options. I would do the reflection and save the $800 to go mad at the specialty dinning restaurants, that's where you'll have the best selection of different foods to try.  

You know it may be an old post but it is still good enough.  What you said is si true.  We’re Eclipse for 21 days and are rfesally looking forward to common ground.  

Apex is reallly nice.  We got our free cruise and upgraded to a Carpet suite. Mrs.has been a little nest back with service. My thoughts is you gotta learn the system.   Gonna try stuff