The Daily for Saturday 02/12/2022

richwmn

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Global Movie Day was founded in 2020 to celebrate the power of movies to reach, connect, and inspire people across the globe.

0B0C77C0-5940-4670-A401-ADC5BAC350BD.thumb.jpeg.1b0d4aa7971ee2ddd57e7bdf97efb39d.jpeg

Like you, I remember going to the drive-in in my jammies.  We went to the Mustang Drive-in outside Guelph Ontario.  I can't remember what movies we saw, but usually the first movie was a family film and the second (after us kids fell asleep in the back seat) was more PG.

Not a big fan of musicals, but I like "Singing in the Rain" with Gene Kelly.

I can't remember which animated movie was the first I saw, that was a long time ago, but it probably was a Disney film.

I think the first movie DH and I saw together on a date was ET the Extraterrestrial.

My favourite movie line "We're on a mission from God" said by Elwood Blues.

I don't watch horror movies.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

When I was stationed on Taiwan and my DW and I were planning to marry, we had to go thru a few hoops to get permission from the Navy.  One was counseling from a Navy Chaplain who was a Baptist minister.  I remember him saying that most marriages like this don't last very long, but if you still insist, I recommend you get married in the Navy chapel.  I later met with the Navy Legal Officer who explained that interracial marriages were illegal in many (mostly Southern) states and we could be jailed if living there.  He said that the Navy would make sure we were transferred to a state without those restrictions, and we were transferred to California.  I had been attending services held by an Episcopal missionary and we talked to him about getting married.  He had been in China and Taiwan for years and was fluent in Chinese.  He said "I can't marry you two as she is a heathen"  He explained that he could only marry Christians, but as she wanted to become a Christian, he would be happy to have a baptismal ceremony followed by a marriage ceremony.  That was 59 years ago.

Oh my heavens!  this brings back some memories of when DH and I were getting married.  It wasn’t illegal here but there were a few people who were very concerned (including my Vice President - I gave him one good tongue lashing on diversity we were supposed to be supporting).  Apparently it was different when a Bank Manager was getting married.

Some of our clients “weren’t happy”.  Too bad so sad I said, they can take their business elsewhere - I was bringing in enough to more than cover any lost 😉 

We hit road blocks for a priest / minister until we found a lovely chaplain at the hospital who agreed to marry us.  He just shook his head - not at the different races but at our occupations after our discussions and counselling.  A banker and a physician - money and health - if you too can stand the stress of those two jobs combined, you can do anything.

He helped us plan a beautiful wedding and yes, my VP attended.  By then, Jose had won him over 😉 

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

You are welcome here no matter what the name.🙂

Ditto!

• Like 38

@richwmn, assuming the Nieuw Amsterdam is really boarding passengers for the charter, this is what appears to be the itinerary.  Apparently Irish Cruise does not give out port times:

Amber Cove 2/14

San Juan 2/15

St. Thomas 2/16

HMC 2/18

Port Everglades 2/19

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

26 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@richwmn, assuming the Nieuw Amsterdam is really boarding passengers for the charter, this is what appears to be the itinerary.  Apparently Irish Cruise does not give out port times:

Amber Cove 2/14

San Juan 2/15

St. Thomas 2/16

HMC 2/18

Port Everglades 2/19

Roy

thanks, that is the itinerary I already have loaded for this week

• Like 16

52 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Wow @kazu and @USN59-79  your stories touched my heart!  Glad that love won! 
I had some friends bet our marriage wouldn’t last a year, lol!  We will hope to celebrate the really big one next year! 

A number of people didn't think my DH & I would be married long, either, becuase of our different backgrounds. We laughed about that with each anniversary and made it just a week short of 48 years. He was my best friend!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Food pics from the last couple days. Tark's doesn't look like much on Route 1 and Roy's Boat House. Tark's is the upside down photo

We ate at Tark's once a few years back when we came in to FLL a day or two early for a HAL cruise. I thought it was great and hope to get back there soon!

• Like 12

Hi everyone,

Go back from our cruise this morning and spent the day unpacking and getting laundry done. The cruise was really relaxing. The passenger count was about 25% so no waits for anything. Its hard to imagine that full passenger counts will be achieved this year based on the cruises I have taken since July 2021. The next few weeks will be filled with doctor visits for DH, and me looking for some more cruises!

My sister is planning on visiting next month and then taking an Oceania TA back to Europe, tempted to join her! Hoping the virus situation continues to improve so I can feel more confident making travel plans. Would like to do Canada/ New England in the fall.

Mary

• Like 24

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

A number of people didn't think my DH & I would be married long, either, becuase of our different backgrounds. We laughed about that with each anniversary and made it just a week short of 48 years. He was my best friend!

Lovely story.

So sorry it couldn't have been longer for you.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

It was so nice I forgot to photo every course.

Graham.

IMG_20220212_190858.jpg

IMG_20220212_195729.jpg

IMG_20220212_201526.jpg

IMG_20220212_203502.jpg

Everything looks divine, especially the dessert!  My favorite course.  My chatty next-door neighbor brought me over two slices of her homemade 3 layer carrot cake so we're looking forward to that this evening.  So nice of her!  I need to invite her over more often.🥕

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

When I was stationed on Taiwan and my DW and I were planning to marry, we had to go thru a few hoops to get permission from the Navy.  One was counseling from a Navy Chaplain who was a Baptist minister.  I remember him saying that most marriages like this don't last very long, but if you still insist, I recommend you get married in the Navy chapel.  I later met with the Navy Legal Officer who explained that interracial marriages were illegal in many (mostly Southern) states and we could be jailed if living there.  He said that the Navy would make sure we were transferred to a state without those restrictions, and we were transferred to California.  I had been attending services held by an Episcopal missionary and we talked to him about getting married.  He had been in China and Taiwan for years and was fluent in Chinese.  He said "I can't marry you two as she is a heathen"  He explained that he could only marry Christians, but as she wanted to become a Christian, he would be happy to have a baptismal ceremony followed by a marriage ceremony.  That was 59 years ago.

Sam and I grew up in the same city and are the same religion and belonged to the same synagogue growing up, although he was three years older than me. My mother in law said we would never last, but we celebrated 62 years last September.

• Like 29

When we got married I was 17 and just out of high school; Gary was 21 and had just reenlisted in the Air Force. From the beginning we were told our marriage wouldn't last, then when our 2nd son died they said we wouldn't last another year. Our marriage lasted for 57 years until Gary passed. We were hoping that our marriage would last longer than my parents who were married for 67 years when my dad passed. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

When we got married I was 17 and just out of high school; Gary was 21 and had just reenlisted in the Air Force. From the beginning we were told our marriage wouldn't last, then when our 2nd son died they said we wouldn't last another year. Our marriage lasted for 57 years until Gary passed. We were hoping that our marriage would last longer than my parents who were married for 67 years when my dad passed. 

Jane I'm so pleased you proved the doubters wrong.

My condolences for the loss of Gary and your second son.

Graham.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, NextOne said:

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

so glad we all proved those doubters wrong!  Only those in the marriage really know!  Only wish you had more years!  My aunt and uncle celebrated 70 years! 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

With all the "meet my spouse" stories here, I feel compelled to share our unusual story. I met my husband when I was 16 and he was my Grade 11 biology teacher. Canadians here will understand that in Quebec, High School ends at Grade 11, followed by two years of CEGEP (kind of like a pre-university college). So Grade 11 was my "Senior" year..... thank goodness. Because DH was 30 and I was 16. But fall in love we did (and he was actually just divorcing his 29 year old wife at the time we met).

That was in 1975..... and we have been "bucking the odds" ever since. I looked it up once and the odds of a us lasting was literally a million to one.

Together for 47 and married for 43 years. Two amazing children and five grandchildren later..... 🙂 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Reading all of your touching stories of your marriages defying adversity is making me realize that I am very lucky indeed.  DH and I have been together for 24 years and married for about 12. After we bought our condo we realized that we needed to become adults and get married.  Mind you, when we first got together it wasn’t an option for us. We had discussed it a lot when it first became an option but because we both come from large RC families the machinations never seemed to work so plans always languished. One day in early 2010 we decided to elope. We discussed it with a close friend who was a retired priest and he suggested having the Boston City Clerk officiate.  Since we knew her and she had been a Benedictine nun for 30 years the plans congealed.  Here I sit this evening with my best friend and husband. When they tell you that you’ll know when it’s the one, they’re usually right.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Wow @kazu and @USN59-79  your stories touched my heart!  Glad that love won! 
I had some friends bet our marriage wouldn’t last a year, lol!  We will hope to celebrate the really big one next year! 

Thanks @kazu and @USN59-79

We are grateful for  Loving vs State of Virginia.  I moved to Washington DC because because of the open attitude to mixed race couples. Met my husband four months later and we’ve been together 45 years and celebrating 40 years married this year. My father was an “Archie Bunker” type. He died two weeks before he was to come to DC to meet my DH. 

• Like 12

8 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Well I am absolutely devastated in that I wrote a huge post and CC ate it!!  😭 😭 😭 I’ve learned to make a copy before posting, which I did, but then I read @496’s post,  copied the link to help her, and completely obliterated my own post!!  I’ll try to recreate it.

Yesterday we hit a high of 68f/20c and tomorrow we are expecting snow.  Weather whiplash for sure.

Global Movie Day was founded in 2020 to celebrate the power of movies to reach, connect, and inspire people across the globe.

0B0C77C0-5940-4670-A401-ADC5BAC350BD.thumb.jpeg.1b0d4aa7971ee2ddd57e7bdf97efb39d.jpeg

• The first movie I saw at a drive-in was Blackbeard’s Ghost.  We got to wear pajamas and bring a pillow.  We would play on the swings until it was time for the movie to start.
  • My first musical was Mary Poppins.
  • First animated movie was Snow White.
  • Neither my husband, nor I, can recall the first movie we saw together.  😂 We think it may have been Diary of a Mad Black Woman
  • I do not have a favorite movie line because there are so many good ones.  The one I hear most often, from my husband, is “Okay, Marge.” from the movie Fargo.  😂 I just love the characters and personalities from that movie.
  • Every Friday I would sleep over at my BFF’s house because it was Friday Night Fright Night on TV.  We would make a batch of popcorn and laugh our way through them because they were usually B-rated movies like The Green Slime and It Came From Outer Space.  Jan-in-a-pan was particularly hysterical, from The Brain That Wouldn’t Die.  The Alfred Hitchcock movies were always good.

@marshhawk, I am sorry to hear of your illness and I am wishing you the best.

Happy Birthday to @MISTER 67!!

@Sharon in AZ, that is super great news about your Mother!!  Well done Mom!!

Congratulations to @Heartgrove on the announcement of your new grandchild!!  I bet you are all thrilled.

As always, prayers go out to all on the Care List and CONGRATULATIONS to all who are celebrating.  I am looking forward to a productive day but would much rather be joining those of you watching movies.  🙃 Take care.

First of all, I’m a movie nut. We have 500 movies on DVD and we usually watch one just about every night unless there’s a baseball game, hockey game or golf on TV.

Some movie things I remember:

Favorite movies… Chinatown and North By Northwest.

First drive in movie….Shane 

First animated film… Lady and the Tramp

First date and film with future DW….Goodbye Columbus 1969.

Favorite line…Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

Favorite musicals…South Pacific… Singin In the Rain.

First Horror film….House of Wax in 3D

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 16

My entertainment memories - 1st "real" movie (not the kid's animated stuff... I felt SO grown up LOL) - Sound of Music. Not being able to leave the movie theater because I was LITERALLY a basket case - Sophie's Choice. And not being able to leave the actual theater because I was again a basket case - Les Miserables. 

• Like 13

First Drive in-Bonnie and Clyde- i was young, and lost a tooth in the movie....

First animated movie-Snow White

Favorite Musical-Finian's Rainbow

Best scary movie-The Body Snatchers.  the original.  Pod People they were reminding me of Brussel sprouts, and I wouldn't eat them for years! 

Best Line in a film-Lauren Bacall-To Have and Have not=You do know how to whistle don't you?  Just put your lips together and blow.

@canadarocks  Three films that affected me the way that Sophie's Choice got you, and luckily I was at home for two of them.  Sophie's Choice.  Beaches.  but i lost it in the theatre for Love Story.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@canadarocks  Three films that affected me the way that Sophie's Choice got you, and luckily I was at home for two of them.  Sophie's Choice.  Beaches.  but i lost it in the theatre for Love Story.

LOL.... Love Story was my adolescent "Can't leave the movie theater" moment. Watching Sophie's Choice was LITERALLY when I had a 6 year old son and a 2 year old daughter..... so...... MY GOD!!

And while I'm sharing..... 🙂, our eldest and his lovely wife wanted to name their first born daughter (and our first grandchild) Sophie..... 

That NEVER happened! 🙂 

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 11