The Daily for Monday 02/14/2022

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Valentine's Day to everyone.  If you're a single, treat yourself today because you are special and deserve to celebrate the day as well.  I started cleaning out old files and redundant photos a few weeks ago, perhaps I'll continue that today.  I enjoy ferris wheels, but haven't been on one in ages, and both DH and I are registered as organ donors.

It'll be a quiet day around the house, as our "almost daughter," Sophia,(a lovely Chinese student who lived with us for 4 years) is coming over to do a 2 day online Zoom course for her employment.  She has 4 year old twins at home and knows there will be no end of interruptions if she's there, so she'll be set up at our dining room table from 8AM - 4PM.  It will be nice having her in the house again, even if we can't talk with her.  She gets a couple of breaks and lunch, so we can chat then.

DH and I will likely go out shopping today - to give Sophia a quiet house, and because DH has suddenly taken a liking to wearing a "shacket" or heavy shirt that can double as a light jacket.  I bought him one for Christmas and he now thinks it's "cool" to wear it over his collection of Hard Rock Cafe t-shirts.  LOL  We'll see if we can find another couple of them in the stores before they bring in their spring and summer clothing.

I'm pretty sure I'd like today's menu suggestion, and I know we'll definitely be having pasta tonight because traditionally on Valentine's Day we order in from our favourite Italian restaurant.  DH will have a curry chicken penne, while I'll be enjoying linguini with shrimp, scallops, ham and peas in a blush sauce.  And wine.  An Argentinian malbec.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate the day and everyone on the happy list.  Be safe, get your boosters, wash your hands, wear your masks, and stay warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 34

Good morning, all!

Happy Valentines Day (and Galentines Day). New computers are speedy things and then they start bogging down over time. Always worry when cleaning it out though,  that I will delete something important. I adore Ferris wheels. I made my youngest DD, (who sadly isn’t a fan), ride the London Eye with me twice. I love the newer Ferris wheel on Navy Pier in Chicago; the old wheel is now in Branson so I get to see it all the time. It has a really wonderful light show to enjoy even if you don’t ride it. 

The pasta and wine sound like winners, the drink I’ll skip. I haven’t been to the destination (haven’t been to Spain at all, sadly). Love the quote from Ms. Roosevelt, have always admired her.

An observation for this morning. Have you all noticed how much we have in common here on the Daily, over and above our love for cruising? The marriage stories of relationships that others thought would never fly. Love of cats, dogs, gardens, good food, drink and wine. More adoptees than I would have expected 💗. Dealing over and over with health issues for ourselves and loved ones. Appliance curses 😂. We certainly have our differences, but I think our similarities are a strong tie.

Praying this morning for our cares list (sorry @rafinmdthat this is a sad anniversary) 🙏. And lots of celebrating (love all the “live from” threads that let us cruise vicariously). 🍷

Take care all,

St Louis Sal

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Happy Valentines Day to all.  Prayers for all who need them.  Many thanks to Rich and Roy for their continued loyalty to this thread.

We are happily sailing along on Enchantment.  Three day trek back to Baltimore now underway.  Got off at 3 ports just to walk around.  Many shops closed — Caribbean ports are still feeling the pandemic greatly.  Landscaping in port areas needs work but probably the least of their worries. Masks are required 100% of the time - inside and outside.  Certainly not the same experience experience as precovid.  But glad to be sailing.

Take time today to appreciate your Valentine today.  I sure will - think it is our 55th Valentines Day together.  Katherine 

• Like 29

Good Morning from a cool and windy day at the beach

Happy Valentines Day To eveyone.

Weather is suppose to turn around tomorrow. Nothing like most of you are going thru, so no complaining from me!

I just got a new laptop and a friend is coming on Wednesday to help transfer my files and stuff from the old one. Sounds like today would be a good day to clean out all the old stuff.

Have not been to todays port, looking forward to pictures.

@St. Louis Sal You are so right. We all do have a lot in common. I think it was about a year ago that many of us were struck by the appliance gremlins, myself included.

@rafinmd Roy you are in my thoughts today. Focus on your memories. I hope visiting his grave will bring you some peace.

Nothing much happening here today. No water aerobics. So I best clean.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 30

50 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

We had fraud on a fourth credit card and I’ve alerted the agency supplying the aides . It’s very discouraging especially when you know who did it and can’t prove it. With the shortage of aides, I’m quite sure he is working for someone else. With so much abuse from some of these people,  I shudder to think what is happening to older adults who live alone with no help near by.

I shudder as well, Carol.  So sorry to hear there is another incident 😔 

@rafinmdso sorry to hear of your sad anniversary today.  Such a difficult time for you 💔  My prayers are with you and I pray the visit and memories of your brother help bring you some peace 🙏 

• Like 23

Happy Monday! That’s the best thing about being retired - you don’t have to dread Mondays. 

Happy Valentines Day ❤️

Love the memes - they brighten my day. Gonna be in the 50’s today and upper 60’s through Thursday, so time for some outdoor activities. 

• Like 24

❤️  HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!  🌹

Cleaning out my computer is an ongoing process.  The emails were cleaned out last week,and I've ve been working on my too many pictures to weed out duplicates fo the past two yeRsnand still have many left to go through.  I am one who has never liked Ferris wheels, but I am a registered organ donor.

The Eleanor Roosevelt quote is very true.  

We are also having lobster for dinner,but it won't be as good as @kazu Jacqui's.  Will pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good.

We've been to many ports in Spain, but unfortunately Vigo isn't one of them.  I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm sorry to day is bringing you sadness. I hope your memories of your brother bring comfort.

@kazu   Guess while adjusting Marley's pill time let you sleep later, it really didn't solve the problem.  Hope you and Marley have a relaxing day.

@msmayor  Hope you'll have time to let us know when the baby arrives.  The cruise sounds nice.  Hope you book it.

@mamaofami Oh no, Carol, about the fourth credit card.  Gald you called the agency, and hope you notified the police. 

@ger_77  How nice that you can offer your "adopted" daughter a quiet place to take her zoom course.

@St. Louis Sal  Yes, we all have a lot in common, and we accept our differences.  That is what makes this thread so special.

@Lady Hudson Glad you enjoyed your cruises.

@grapau27  Graham, it looks like you are still enjoying your getaway.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.

It is a cold one here today, but we are supposed to get up to 50F on Wednesday.   I'll look forward to that.   To all my fellow singles on Valentine's Day:

444650927_Valentinesday.png.bb83f8473be4b8c13809c2f5825b6418.png

Spring pasta sounds good.  We need something that is springy these days.   I think this part of winter is the hardest.  We know spring is coming, but just not soon enough for us.  Anyways, spring pasta could be pasta primavera or it could just be a generic term for pasta that has spring flavors and accompaniments.  This first recipe is a primavera that is very colorful and definitely reminds of us spring.   https://www.cookingclassy.com/pasta-primavera/

1044638281_Springpasta1.thumb.jpg.276a57f3fe9e5410797ba067dd57d1ce.jpg

And here we have Giada de Laurentiis' version of pasta primavera:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pasta-primavera-recipe-1942131

1826841835_springpasta2.jpeg.8ae4bd46f39d9957de20afad19ae3407.jpeg

This is a creamy lemon pasta with spring vegetables.   Lemon is such a clean flavor and that is reminiscent of spring as well.   https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/creamy-lemon-spring-vegetable-pasta/

2038073231_springpasta3.thumb.jpg.2e74d26746a02245a58ad4145b03be95.jpg

Food and Wine magazine offers us this dish with sauteed spring greens.   https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pasta-sauteed-spring-greens

587036733_springpasta4.jpg.941a96d70cae0bfed7b1ade0753fa597.jpg

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to all who are celebrating today, including cheers to all our couples who defied the thoughts of family and friends and forged a lasting relationship.  

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Happy Valentine’s Day all. It is always a special day here as our twin daughters were born on this day 51 years ago. We have set this Saturday aside as family celebration since we haven’t been able to gather inside in numbers that include the whole family until now.

prayers to all who need them and will celebrate with others later today. @rafinmdi hope visiting your brothers gravesite will give you closure

938B6F9E-11AD-431A-B2B6-6F2B2A8E53C0.jpeg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@rafinmd My thoughts are with you on the anniversary of your brother's death.  I hope you can feel the huge collective hug that comes from your Daily family.

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

We had fraud on a fourth credit card and I’ve alerted the agency supplying the aides . It’s very discouraging especially when you know who did it and can’t prove it. With the shortage of aides, I’m quite sure he is working for someone else. With so much abuse from some of these people,  I shudder to think what is happening to older adults who live alone with no help near by.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Given that you've had fraud on four of your cards, I would suspect an inside job.   Do notify the police as well as the agency.   I have a card that seemed to be susceptible to fraud.  About every 6 months there would be a fraudulent charge on it.  The bank always caught it before I did.   When I called to activate my new card I asked what I was doing wrong.  That card never left the house and I only used it on websites I trusted like Holland America.  She said I was doing nothing wrong.  The fraudsters have computer programs that generate card numbers and three digit codes and they just keep using them until one works.  If one works, they go to town until they are shut down.  

35 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

An observation for this morning. Have you all noticed how much we have in common here on the Daily, over and above our love for cruising? The marriage stories of relationships that others thought would never fly. Love of cats, dogs, gardens, good food, drink and wine. More adoptees than I would have expected 💗. Dealing over and over with health issues for ourselves and loved ones. Appliance curses 😂. We certainly have our differences, but I think our similarities are a strong tie.

I've often said that our commonalities are far more common than our differences.  The differences are what makes the world an interesting place.  But, deep down, we all value family, health, happiness above all else.  

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Valentine’s Day. I’ve been trying to find out how to delete email contacts from my email so will celebrate clean out your computer day when I figure it out. I love the quote by Eleanore . She was a very strong woman and I could certainly use some of her strength these days. We had fraud on a fourth credit card and I’ve alerted the agency supplying the aides . It’s very discouraging especially when you know who did it and can’t prove it. With the shortage of aides, I’m quite sure he is working for someone else. With so much abuse from some of these people,  I shudder to think what is happening to older adults who live alone with no help near by.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Carol,

I am so sorry for all your troubles.  I know how hard that is.  We had a credit card and bank account breach about a year ago and it was a royal headache.  

The fact that you are pretty sure who did it is even worse.

Prayers that you can get it resolved.

Try to have a happy Valentine’s Day.

Terri

• Like 22

Good morning  to all.It is quite cold here and neither dog was enthusiastic  about walking much.

@rafinmd,Roy, I am sorry about the sad anniversary.  I hope your good memories, especially  of your times together sustain you.

@kazu,Jacqui, it sounds as if yesterday was a very difficult day. I hope you and Marley  can relax at home and recover. Years ago when my DH was so ill there were times I just went out to the car to sit and regroup. Caretaking is all encompassing  and  drains one quickly. I carried on great conversations

with myself in the car.....

I will celebrate the days and like the last recipe.It might show up for dinner tonight. The quote is a good one and I have not been to Vigo.

I saw these two earlier this morning while having coffee with DD.

7143.jpeg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, superoma said:

Happy Valentine’s Day all. It is always a special day here as our twin daughters were born on this day 51 years ago. We have set this Saturday aside as family celebration since we haven’t been able to gather inside in numbers that include the whole family until now.

prayers to all who need them and will celebrate with others later today. @rafinmdi hope visiting your brothers gravesite will give you closure

938B6F9E-11AD-431A-B2B6-6F2B2A8E53C0.jpeg

Love the sweater dresses!  Very cute young ladies.

• Like 19

Good morning friends and Happy Valentine's Day!  We always celebrate quietly and don't purchase extravagant gifts, choosing to get ourselves what we want as time goes on.  I'm sorry this is a sad day of remembrance for you Roy @rafinmd but I think it's a good thing you can visit your brother's grave during your stop in Port Canaveral.  When my sister passed away last June her daughters got me and my siblings, and all 5 of her children, a mini ashes urn.  They hold about 3 tablespoons of our loved one's ashes and I keep mine on a table with a photo of sister and me.  It's so pretty too.  White with diamond cut designs on it.  Keeps her in my thoughts each day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJV0P0PYZ2ju80COaJgvX7kUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1644848535

So, today is clean out your computer day?  That is something I really need to do!  I have so many old emails but I can't seem to pull the trigger on deleting some of them in case I need the information contained in them.  But I vow to try harder.  Haven't had a ride on a ferris wheel in a long time.  And I also am a registered organ donor.  Interesting that so many of us here are registered as such.  I'm also a bone marrow registered donor but so far no one needs my marrow. I'm probably too old to donate anymore.  I like the quote today and feel it is true for many of us, men or women.  The spring pasta dishes look great Debbie @dfish.  Thanks for so many choices.

I feel like I was supposed to have seen Vigo, Spain but we know how all our plans the past couple of years have played out.  I'll be on the lookout for a cruise with that port.  Maybe someone will have some photos to post.  Hope so!

The Daily is very appreciated today Rich @richwmnas is the compilation of Care and Celebration lists Roy.  I'm happy the Care list is shorter and continue to pray for everyone.  The Celebration list itself should get a shoutout due to its length.  Cheers to all included on it, and I hope the cruisers have a wonderful, relaxing cruise.  

@grapau27Graham that is a marvelous breakfast photo of the food, Pauline and yourself.  Such a lovely way to celebrate Valentine's weekend.  ❤️💐  @superomaEva, I love the twins' photo.  Happy birthday to the "girls"!  @mamaofamiCarol, I'm sad to hear there was another fraud alert on your credit card.  The police really need to check this person out!  I hope they were alerted.  And @msmayor(sorry I don't remember your first name) how exciting that the grandbaby is only weeks away!  I remember when you posted you had to cancel a cruise so you could be here for the birth.  Your story reminds me of our first grandchild in January 1998.  I was at home in St. Louis, DD was living near Dayton at the time and DH was in Houston on A-B business.  DD called a week before due date to say her water broke and she was in the hospital.  I called DH at the Houston airport as he was boarding a plane to St. Louis and told him.  Instead of me waiting hours for him to land, I packed and got in the car for the 6 hour drive and when he got to St. Louis he booked the next flight to Dayton.  When I got to Dayton I swung by the airport to pick him up.  On the way south on I-75 there was a wreck stopping traffic, so we got off the highway and got directions to the hospital via side roads.  No nav system in our car then.  Not even an IPhone to help out.  We got to the hospital and continued to wait half the night for Tyler to be born.  Meanwhile I worked on his cross stitch Christmas stocking while we waited.  Very exciting to hold our first grandchild minutes after his birth.  He's a grown man now - time sure flies by!!👶

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Oh my I forgot to congratulate the Rams on their win last night.  (didn't watch it).  The last time the Rams won the Super Bowl they were the St. Louis Rams and that was in 1999. Happy times for that city back then, and we were living there at the time.  Better luck next year to the Cincinnati Bengals!  They have a strong, young team and the were leading at the end until the last minute or two I heard.🏈

How were the commercials?

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Today's sunrise is from my 2018 Crystal World Cruise.  On Valentines Day Crystal Serenity was due to call at Norfolk Island which would have been our final port before arriving in Sydney but conditions did not permit it.

dawn0214.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4