St Petersburg Russia

lux4me

We are booked on the Enchanted Princess for Scandinavia/ Russia for May  
we booked directly with Princess.  I just called them and can’t get an answer from them on what ports they may be changing too.  I would rather be proactive and change the itinerary if the replacement ports are not any good.   I’m afraid they won’t make the announcement till right before sailing.     SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!

Canada? Believe Canadian covid travel restrictions from US into Canada will be modified at the end of the month. These restrictions are not political sanctions of the kind that may be anticipated for Russia. Also not aware of political travel restrictions for China from the US. Could be some covid protocols, but don't follow that close.

5 hours ago, lux4me said:

We are booked on the Enchanted Princess for Scandinavia/ Russia for May  
we booked directly with Princess.  I just called them and can’t get an answer from them on what ports they may be changing too.  I would rather be proactive and change the itinerary if the replacement ports are not any good.   I’m afraid they won’t make the announcement till right before sailing.     SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!

I feel your pain. I'd be very hesitant to take a Baltic cruise if you are really looking forward to specific ports.  We've limited our cruises for this year to the Caribbean and Alaska to avoid anything where missing a port would spoil the cruise for us.  I'm getting very concerned about Southeast Asia for 2023 already.  We had to cancel for 2020, 2021 and 2022 and I would hate to miss a 4th year but I feel like I'd rather not go if I don't know the itinerary for sure ahead of time. 

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Would you elaborate, please?

The latest news coming from Moscow includes several ominous items. Putin has recognized two districts in the Ukraine as independent, he ordered his defense ministry to move "peacekeeping" troops into Ukraine to "protect" Russian separatists, and in a statement at signing his orders, Putin stated that Ukraine has no historical right to sovereignty from Russia. Quotation marks are mine.

The news reports are speculating that troops could move as early as this evening.

Edited by judithzuz

3 minutes ago, judithzuz said:

The latest news coming from Moscow includes several ominous items. Putin has recognized two districts in the Ukraine as independent, he ordered his defense ministry to move "peacekeeping" troops into Ukraine to "protect" Russian separatists, and in a statement at signing his orders, Putin stated that Ukraine has no historical right to sovereignty from Russia. Quotation marks are mine.

The news reports are speculating that troops could move as early as this evening.

Putin has already ordered “peacekeeping troops into the so called separatist regions. I would imagine they will cross the border in the morning

5 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I feel your pain. I'd be very hesitant to take a Baltic cruise if you are really looking forward to specific ports.  We've limited our cruises for this year to the Caribbean and Alaska to avoid anything where missing a port would spoil the cruise for us.  I'm getting very concerned about Southeast Asia for 2023 already.  We had to cancel for 2020, 2021 and 2022 and I would hate to miss a 4th year but I feel like I'd rather not go if I don't know the itinerary for sure ahead of time. 

Oh, please don't say that about SE Asia in 2023. I am really hoping to do the Singapore-Tokyo next March.

6 hours ago, mjmalino said:

Oh, please don't say that about SE Asia in 2023. I am really hoping to do the Singapore-Tokyo next March.

Watching restrictions for all of the countries involved makes me worry about whether everything can fall into place but I’m staying hopeful!

5 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Watching restrictions for all of the countries involved makes me worry about whether everything can fall into place but I’m staying hopeful!

Same here, but a year is a long time, so hopefully things will only change for the better in the coming months.

18 hours ago, memoak said:

Given the news today I would not bet on any cruises stop in Russia 

Very much agree......and I'm thinking (hoping, makes sense, IMO) travel to Russia for USA folks will cease as part of the sanctions.

Prayers for the people of Ukraine......

• Like 9

We were also booked on a Baltic cruise for May on the Enchanted Princess but cancelled last week when final payment was due. Although I would enjoy any cruise and itinerary, we felt there could be significant changes (such as missing St. Petersburg) prior to sailing that would significantly alter the itinerary. This was going to be a celebratory cruise for my birthday and it was a lot of money to commit. I'd rather do the itinerary when things are safer and we are more assured of doing the itinerary as stated. As another person commented above, we're staying closer to home and booking an Alaska cruise for May instead.

Sadly, (a day before final payment) we and our traveling buddies just canceled our June Baltic cruise. The news is sad and even if St. Petersburg remains on the itinerary, ports are canceled well into the cruise. If things improve, then we may book again. Our reason for this itinerary was because of St. Petersburg.

• Like 3

I wouldn't do a Baltic cruise this summer, not only because of the uncertainty over the Russia situation, but because it visits so many countries with their own Covid/vaccine policies. It would just be a hassle of they're going to screen everyone in a port, particularly in a place where you have limited time, like Warnemunde where you have to take a train to Berlin and back. It looks like the Enchanted also has to dock at a city outside Stockholm that handles larger ships, which requires a bus ride to the city, and unfortunately you miss the truly amazing sail in and out of the Stockholm archipeligo. Also, my previous two Baltic cruises were in early June, and everyone said the previous cruises were cold and wet, so May seems a little too early for northern cities, especially with everyone crammed inside because of weather and Covid still around. For anyone else thinking of the Baltics, I'd recommend overcoming brand loyalty and instead looking at smaller ships that are able to go into Stockholm itself. I found going on a smaller ship also made it much quicker to go through the slow, thorough border guard lines in St. Petersburg. So while I enjoyed the Beatles and Broadway shows on a big NCL ship, a smaller HAL one was much better suited for the Baltics. 

3 hours ago, rj59 said:

It looks like the Enchanted also has to dock at a city outside Stockholm that handles larger ships, which requires a bus ride to the city, and unfortunately you miss the truly amazing sail in and out of the Stockholm archipeligo.

You still have to sail through the archepalago to reach Nynashamn, as you wil  see if you look at a map !

Edited by wowzz

11 hours ago, nini said:

Sadly, (a day before final payment) we and our traveling buddies just canceled our June Baltic cruise. The news is sad and even if St. Petersburg remains on the itinerary, ports are canceled well into the cruise. If things improve, then we may book again. Our reason for this itinerary was because of St. Petersburg.

Hoping you do get to see St. Petersburg at some point. It is truly a remarkable experience. There are also a lot of other great ports on a Baltic cruise. Talinn, Estonia is a lesser known gem of a port.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CCFC said:

I am doing the Enchanted Baltic cruise on May 26th and I still expect to get there. Also it looks like vaccination rules are being dropped so I am ever hopeful of getting on the cruise.

Where did you see information about vaccination rules being dropped?