Is Luminae over-rated or under-rated?

mfs2k

26 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

My nephew was on the apex last week.  He dined in Luminae, but tried one main dining room .  Said while they say- one is greek- french etc.  The basic menu is the same and one or two dishes vary based on the restaurant type.   But so much better as no more grand ballroom.

Yes--there is Greek, French, Italian & "Cosmopolitan"--they each carry the daily "MDR" menu (changes daily like typical MDR), the "always available" menu (chicken, sirloin, etc) AND each of those has their own themed specialty menu that does not change but is available only at that restaurant.

We especially liked the Greek & French restaurants on the Edge but all were very good.

For us, we love Luminae, but we just gain too much weight when we eat there and really don’t have a need for the other services booking a suite has to offer. 

So from now on, we’re booking Aqua cabins so we can still be spoiled in Blu, but we can eat healthier and not gain so much weight. 😂😂

15 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For us, we love Luminae, but we just gain too much weight when we eat there and really don’t have a need for the other services booking a suite has to offer. 

So from now on, we’re booking Aqua cabins so we can still be spoiled in Blu, but we can eat healthier and not gain so much weight. 😂😂

Not a fan of blu.  Tables too close together.  On the edge class ships the blu restaurant  is located in a busy hallway.  I would book a well located balcony cabin which is identical to CC and Aqua and dine in specialty restaurants.  Imo aqua perks not worth it.  We used the persian garden once and the cold teas and snacks delivered to our cabin weren’t good.  Again one person’s opinion. People book AQ some some might not agree with me

24 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Not a fan of blu.  Tables too close together.  On the edge class ships the blu restaurant  is located in a busy hallway.  I would book a well located balcony cabin which is identical to CC and Aqua and dine in specialty restaurants.  Imo aqua perks not worth it.  We used the persian garden once and the cold teas and snacks delivered to our cabin weren’t good.  Again one person’s opinion. People book AQ some some might not agree with me

Understand. We have only booked Aqua cabins on S or M class ships, and have always been able to secure out-of-the-way tables in Blu. However, since we have no desire to book an Infinite Veranda on an E class ship, our primary cabin choice on those would be an aft-facing SV cabin and dine in any of the 4 MDRs, which all offer very tasty food,  or up at the Oceanview Cafe (where very few dine) and eat out on the back of the ship under the stars. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

It’s a nice venue, with better than average food. Menu pretty limited and not open for lunch on port days. Doesn’t help justify the high price of suites in our opinion.

But of course it wouldn’t.  There are other things beyond Lumanae that attract suite cruisers.

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

But it is blocked from the Hallway.  Tables are less crowded than S and M class.

17 minutes ago, capsplace said:

Funny thing though is just how many suite guests actually switch off Luminae and eat in Blu, which fills up Blu, unfortunately for Aqua class passengers.  

Are AQ passengers being turned away from Blu? I hadn't heard that.

30 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Are AQ passengers being turned away from Blu? I hadn't heard that.

Yes, pretty much.  When cruising was at 100% capacity, Blu was routinely packed.  We were given the option of waiting an hour to eat in Blu (we were Aqua class) or given a discounted rate to eat in Sushi on 5 or Tuscan.  Happened to us several times.  And we always noticed Luminae was maybe half full.  

Edited by capsplace

I don't know that Luminae is either overrated or underrated. In some ways, it's probably just positioned wrong for what it is. We never had an issue finding something we enjoyed in Luminae, and never felt the need to order off the MDR menu (this was Equinox, and it's been awhile). But we can both be somewhat adventurous.

The biggest challenge in my mind with Luminae is it's been positioned as an upscale restaurant with a moderately adventuresome menu (which arguably isn't...), but it's primary purpose is to feed suite guests. It's not unusual for an upscale restaurant to have a limited menu. There are amazing restaurants that essentially only serve seafood, for instance. But they're not trying to serve the same customer 2-3 meals a day for 7 days in a row! And obviously any limitations become more pronounced with the frequent cruise crowd that's on CC. I'm reasonably confident that "most" cruisers don't do B2B, B2B2B, or B2B2B2B cruises! I like the service, the ambience, and generally the food. Our next cruise is in a sky suite, and I could probably be tempted to go to Blu. 

I've travelled a fair amount for business in my life, and sometimes and some places you just find yourself eating at the hotel. Fine for a day or two, but then it gets old (and usually pretty crazy on the calories and sodium). And I'm not sure a specialty is really what I want either. I'll have to check the menus. I just don't want a huge steak, for instance. I guess I've become a difficult diner...

• Like 3

I guess I am different.  I have never thought of Luminae as having a “moderately adventuresome menu”.  I view it as a restaurant exclusively for Suite Guest.  One of the reason we now sail exclusively in suites on Celebrity is for the Retreat and Luminae and prefer S-class ships. 

On a seven day cruise we may have one evening meal in a speciality restaurants.  But we do not hesitate to ask for the MDR menu and pick and choose what we want from the combined menu’s. 

I do agree that Celebrity should change the menu’s a little more often than they currently do and also consider a ‘special of the day’ that is not on the daily menu and is a chef’s choice meal or entree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are not big Luminae fans. We have no issues with the decor or service level. Perfectly fine. Also no issue with the breakfast and lunch menus. 

On our first few cruises after it’s introduction we tried several different dishes on several different evenings on a couple of different ships and were underwhelmed. Starters and dessert selection not too bad but the entree choices we found disappointing. Never a bad meal but we never felt that “can’t wait to order that again next cruise” feeling which we do get from several Murano and a few Tuscan dishes.

I genuinely feel for those trying to find out about Luminae before going on their first suite cruise as the menu (in my opinion) is really odd. You read the items and remain unsure about exactly what some of the dishes are. On our first few visits we would ask the waiter to describe exactly what some of the dishes were. Then there are the vegetables…Why are they frequently only a garnish? We obviously over time realised that you could request an extra side of greens…

Is the food better than the MDR? I guess it is presented better but I don’t recollect when we were in the MDR ever struggling to find something to order which we have done in Luminae.

All I can suggest to those looking and trying to decide if Luminae is worth upgrading to a suite for is to remember that firstly it is only one aspect of the full suite experience and secondly to look for picture reviews (there are lots of them) which will give you a better idea about what the food is like rather than reading the menu.

If I was a Catering executive for Celebrity guests asking for items from the MDR menu when in Luminae would be a big Red Flag that the menu needs revising. No one goes in Tuscan or Murano and asks to see the MDR menu! 

My final point would be that I can see why some people may like the menu. As always with food you have to try it yourself to know if it is to your taste! Each to their own.

• Like 3

Luminae was seriously over-hyped when it was introduced in about 2014-2015, and carved out of the MDRs throughout the fleet. There was major marketing hype about each of the chefs going ashore for fresh ingredients, creating carefully crafted menus to suit each itinerary, Terminology such as “artisan” and “curated.”

The reality has been a lovely, quieter, more spacious setting with excellent service and pretty good food, though we’ve seen bumps along the way.(I still remember a big slab of beef described as short ribs with thick layers of fat - those entrees went back uneaten all over the dining room…and then there were the pancakes burned black on the underside one morning.)

Overall, we’ve been happy in Luminae but the food may be a bit over-rated. I order off the MDR menu at times. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RichYak said:

There are "everyday" items that don't appear on the Luminae menu. Appetizers include caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, french onion soup, and escargot. Entrees include broiled salmon, grilled chicken breast, and grilled sirloin.

We enjoy the atmosphere in Luminae. My wife and I ordered the onion soup everyday in Luminae. I do wish there was a little more access to MDR menus on E class. I do understand the geographical challenges. On S class, they gave us both menus every night.

On each of our last three E class sailings, we have done Normandie one night. Of course, with limited passengers, it’s a breeze.

mac_tlc

9 hours ago, capsplace said:

Funny thing though is just how many suite guests actually switch off Luminae and eat in Blu, which fills up Blu, unfortunately for Aqua class passengers.  

Perhaps just to try- We also tried a couple of regular restaurants on the new e-class ships as the dining experience was unique.  Guest also come to dine in Luminae- for a fee. But must dine with "friends in suites"  As previously said by Chemmo- the suite experience as a whole is far superior to any other class.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

Just my 2 cents worth, we love Luminae but things seem to be different on different ships.  Just before COVID, we sailed on the Summit (first time on X) and went to the MDR the first two nights before we found out Luminae was part of the package.  Food and service was great in MDR but seating was tight.  Neither my wife nor I are big people but we still felt crowded (at a table for 8).

On the Summit, our Luminae waiter (which we adored by the way, but that's another story) said we could order off of MDR, Blu, or Luminae menus or mix'n'match, which we did a few times.

We recently got back from a cruise on the Equinox and they said we could order from the MDR but not Blu.  That was disappointing because the night I asked, Blu had grilled scallops.  I guess my disappointment showed because, between soup and entree, hot grilled scallops showed up on the table.

After doing the behind-the-scenes tour (on Summit), I can kind of understand.  On M class ships, there is one kitchen with dedicated areas for Blu and Luminae.  On S class, the Blu kitchen is separate and would mean possibly walking food through the MDR to get to Luminae. Seeing the E class deck plans, it would appear that the Luminae kitchen is far removed from the main kitchen which makes the logistics that much more difficult.  It does make one wonder that since the menus are posted in the app, if you could make your dinner request earlier in the day so they could "plan".

Bottom line, you can but ask.  They may say "I'm sorry", but my experience has been they will do everything they can to accommodate.

• Like 3

We absolutely loved Luminae last week on Edge and considered it a major reason to book a suite again.  Service is way better than any of the main dining rooms (we did them all last time and often felt a bit rushed or got food before our drinks which I don't like).  Breakfast lunch and dinner always had lovely selections (breakfast same daily).  I thought service in Blu was almost on par with Luminae but perhaps not as personal.  I didn't find the food overly "fancy" or unnecessarily creative.  Every bite was delicious and the cocktails are awesome (and very quickly served). Sommelier service was very helpful and friendly. I liked that it feels very upscale but the service is friendly and relaxed so it never feels stuffy.  We did 3 specialty on top of Luminae and never visited the 4 mains on Edge.  Luminae was just so much better and it changes every day for lunch and dinner so you're never bored.  If you want a substitute on some sauce of side just ask, they can probably accommodate and they will give you two entrees if you wish.  Their galley is not near MDR so I don't advise you try to get food from there.  Manager told us they will never say no but warn your food will arrive at less than the ideal temp because of the distance.  The soups in Luminae were always a standout!  And desserts were divine.  Can't say enough good things about it.  It reminded me of the service and quality we get at home in our favorite fine dining restaurants.  Perhaps even better now that I think about it!

ETA, the manager mentioned they will prepare a small selection of MDR dishes in the Luminae galley due to demand, simple things like onion soup and caesar salad. 

Edited by grouchomarx
  • Like 3

On 3/4/2022 at 7:34 AM, mfs2k said:

I’ve read many posts by people who have said they love the exclusivity and service in Luminae but they weren’t crazy about the menu. Some have said they prefer Blu’s food and menu. Some prefer the MDR or recommend meals in the specialty restaurants. Others have been quite happy with the menu in Luminae. 

As a reader of these posts, booked in an E class Sky suite in October for 9 nights, I now have concerns based on the opinions you’ve all expressed. I’m looking forward to breakfast in Luminae but dinners, not so much. We like good and interesting foods but we also like basic too sometimes. There’s nothing wrong with a Caesar Salad, a decent steak, sautéed vegetables and roasted potatoes. (On one night)

I don’t need a Black Forest balsamic glaze on my sliced filet or candied shallots on my Brussels sprouts.

I just want delicious food, decent portions, and a server who is competent. 

What was your experience?  Should I be excited or prebook 8 nights in specialty restaurants?

Luminae.  Try It, You'll Like It.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 5:12 AM, chemmo said:

We are not big Luminae fans. We have no issues with the decor or service level. Perfectly fine. Also no issue with the breakfast and lunch menus. 

On our first few cruises after it’s introduction we tried several different dishes on several different evenings on a couple of different ships and were underwhelmed. Starters and dessert selection not too bad but the entree choices we found disappointing. Never a bad meal but we never felt that “can’t wait to order that again next cruise” feeling which we do get from several Murano and a few Tuscan dishes.

I genuinely feel for those trying to find out about Luminae before going on their first suite cruise as the menu (in my opinion) is really odd. You read the items and remain unsure about exactly what some of the dishes are. On our first few visits we would ask the waiter to describe exactly what some of the dishes were. Then there are the vegetables…Why are they frequently only a garnish? We obviously over time realised that you could request an extra side of greens…

Is the food better than the MDR? I guess it is presented better but I don’t recollect when we were in the MDR ever struggling to find something to order which we have done in Luminae.

All I can suggest to those looking and trying to decide if Luminae is worth upgrading to a suite for is to remember that firstly it is only one aspect of the full suite experience and secondly to look for picture reviews (there are lots of them) which will give you a better idea about what the food is like rather than reading the menu.

If I was a Catering executive for Celebrity guests asking for items from the MDR menu when in Luminae would be a big Red Flag that the menu needs revising. No one goes in Tuscan or Murano and asks to see the MDR menu! 

My final point would be that I can see why some people may like the menu. As always with food you have to try it yourself to know if it is to your taste! Each to their own.

In luminae you can also order from the MDR menu, as well as requesting special orders the day before that will be honored- in most cases.  I also enjoy breakfast in Luminae, but prefer dinner is sp restaurants most evenings.   We enjoy the overall suite experience, the larger suite spaces, butler, suite lounge aka Michaels club or the retreat- on the E-class the suite deck is great also. 

Edited by Cruise a holic

On 3/4/2022 at 7:34 AM, mfs2k said:

What was your experience?

Our experience on both the Edge and the Equinox these past months in various suite levels dining exclusively in the Luminae with nightly visits to the Ocean View Cafe (buffet) for our second desserts was 10 out of 10. Food is personal and rates rather tertiary after suite/balcony and service with us. Suffice to say I gain the same 10 lbs no matter where we dine on a 7 night cruise. We appreciate having the same waiter and table for the week and not having to wait 2 hours for our meal ( our experience every night in the Haven because a standing order of a grilled chicken breast and baked potato was not on the menu every evening). In order to accommodate  a guest, Luminae requires one be FIRST in order to get the desired table. Their motto "First come, First served". (We lost "our" table lobster night because Luminae opened half hour earlier).

Our experience was the same on the Edge as it was on the Equinox. Every cruise I was asked by our waiters and the maitre ds' if there was anything not on the menu that I would like, please ask. On the Edge, on just two occasions, I requested fish and chips for dinner which I got the following evening (looked nothing like the fish and chips they had for lunch in the Ocean View cafe ). On another occasion I mentioned to Marco, Luminae maitre d' that I would love to have the grilled chocolate chip cookie sans ice cream that is served at the RoofTop Grill for dessert. Viola ! The next evening he presented me the grilled cookie ( next time I will get it with ice cream, he said it was 4 X better that way).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Our experience was the same on the Edge as it was on the Equinox. Every cruise I was asked by our waiters and the maitre ds' if there was anything not on the menu that I would like, please ask.

Just off the Reflection last week and our experience in Luminae was excellent. We dined all seven nights there and made friends with the host, servers, assistant servers, and Madre D'. Our server would come over to our table and talk to us about all sorts of things, and when we declined dessert in order to make a show he would give us a bag of chocolates and French Macaroons. He even did as I asked and created a custom starter from an existing starter and Entree. But Never once in the seven nights did he ever mention if there was anything not on the menu that we would like, please ask. Oh, and I ask the host and she says they NEVER give out MDR menus unsolicited.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 8:12 PM, capsplace said:

Yes, we are guilty of trying Blu the one time we stayed in a suite (Equinox).  Had heard such great things about it and wanted to give it a try.  But  it was mobbed, very close tables, incredibly loud and slow service.  The food was so-so.  Remember feeling so bad for the staff, they were literally running from table to table.  So probably won't be trying Blu again, especially if they are giving priority to suites over Blu dedicated guests.  Should really be open to others on space available basis, I had thought that was the practice.  For Luminae we really enjoyed it for the food, great service and peaceful spacious atmosphere.  Agree the menu is someone limited, but we are not picky and enjoy trying new things.  Looking forward to trying the four main dining rooms on our next cruise (Beyond).

Edited by elh1
typo
  • Like 2