Apex-Children in Solarium

3boyz2keep

We are on board the Apex now and having a wonderful time! Something that has surprised me on this cruise has been children swimming in the solarium pool and hot tubs. A 3 yr old in floaties in the pool, boys 7 and 8 “swimming” in between guests and conversations in the hot tub. Mom of the boys said they’re allowed to be in the solarium hot tub but not the solarium pool. I’m assuming this is the case as staff have passed through and not said anything.  Go figure! I thought the solarium was strictly an adults area.

I'd be annoyed.   If Solarium is adults only, parents are being disrespectful to other guests by bringing their kids there.  But in 2022, there are a lot of people who don't care if they are infringing on others and will do what they want to do, regardless of rules.  Not political.  It's true.  You even see it on the roads now the way some people drive. 

• Like 18

The captain has the ability to open the solarium to children for limited hours a day when the weather is bad. When this happened, it is published in the daily program. It sounds like these parents have made up their own rules.  The pool attendants will not enforce the rules.  You need to get an officer involved.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I had the same thing happen on my Summit sailing back in November. It was pretty disappointing, because one of the things I love about Celebrity is that there are fewer kids on board. Then to have the few kids onboard invading the designated adults only area was frustrating.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I had the same thing happen on my Summit sailing back in November. It was pretty disappointing, because one of the things I love about Celebrity is that there are fewer kids on board. Then to have the few kids onboard invading the designated adults only area was frustrating.

Rules are hard for some people...and some people's kids are angels, all the time..so obviously no rules for them.  

Agree on the Solarium, rules should be enforced..I get it if the Captain has made an exception.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, jelayne said:

If I was bothered by kids in the Solarium, other than a weather exception, I would get a Attention to Detail Card and fill it out.  That card can be quick to get action..

I have never heard of this card. Do you get it from Guest Services?

They may have changed the name of the “attention to detail” card.  It is the comment card that they often leave on your bed about mid-cruise to see if you have any comments or suggestions.  Extras are available from your room steward or from guest relations.

I second the comment card. I asked if live orchids were being done away with on one cruise, and the hotel director sought me out that very evening to tell me the orchids would be back in the ladies' restrooms the following day. Had gotten all new on embarkation day, and just hadn't got them all distributed yet. Small thing, but those orchids just are so classy!

3 hours ago, mfs2k said:

PS:  I just read on other threads the Solarium is open to families on some ships from 4pm to 7pm and on other ships from 4:30pm to 7:30pm

This wasn’t during those times. It was mid day amongst the busy times.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

The captain has the ability to open the solarium to children for limited hours a day when the weather is bad. When this happened, it is published in the daily program. It sounds like these parents have made up their own rules.  The pool attendants will not enforce the rules.  You need to get an officer involved.

An officer stopped by with the 3 yr old in the hot tub and reminded the parents that it wasn’t good to exceed 15 minutes in the hot tub for the toddler. This was during normal prime time pool time not a designated “family” hour at the solarium. The hot tub was crowded with adults at that point, maybe his attempt at adults only at that time.

1 hour ago, Poconolady said:

Are there a lot of kids on this sailing? (I know it is spring break in  some areas). 

I’m guessing 10-15. It’s funny though when we’ve talked to the parents of some of the kids and asked how they’re enjoying their cruise the common comment is that it’s “boring”. I think most of them are a case of not really knowing what Celebrity is about beforehand.

18 minutes ago, 3boyz2keep said:

I’m guessing 10-15. It’s funny though when we’ve talked to the parents of some of the kids and asked how they’re enjoying their cruise the common comment is that it’s “boring”. I think most of them are a case of not really knowing what Celebrity is about beforehand.

I feel bad for the kids.  The parents clearly booked the cruise with themselves in mind, and not their children.  

Personally, I would report it with a comment card.  I have young kids and I don't mind being around other people's kids... but I also follow the rules and teach my kids to follow the rules, even if they seem silly or unfair to them.  When some parents choose to ignore rules bringing kids to an adult-only sanctuary they create an environment that is uncomfortable for those without kids (or those enjoying a rare kid-free vacation!) and, frankly, upsetting for the other kids on board who are forced to follow the rules and don't in understand why they can't also swim there.

• Like 3

Comment card creates a paper trail which assigns staff to address a problem. Someone has to note the problem and document how it is being addressed. Such logs are likely subject to review by "higher ups." Mentioning a problem to someone does not have the same  liklihood of follow through

Edited by edgee
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Rules are hard for some people...and some people's kids are angels, all the time..so obviously no rules for them.  

Agree on the Solarium, rules should be enforced..I get it if the Captain has made an exception.  

States right on the web site that Celebrity reserves the right to open the solarium to familes, so no rules are being broken.

From the age restrictions portion of web site.

* During inclement weather and select hours, the ship may permit the Solarium Pool (if covered) to be used by persons under age sixteen (16) provided they are directly supervised by a parent or guardian.

Select hours comment pretty much gives them the right to do it anytime. 

Edited by dkjretired

4 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

It give Celebrity the right to do it anytime, but it doesn’t give parents the right to take their kids any time

Absolutely agree....I'm just pointing out that Celebrity is not breaking any rules, but you are correct, it may be the parents who do so.  I have seen enforcement because basically on sea days I live in the Solarium.