Seasoned cruisers....WHAT else do we need to buy?

KKB

SERIOUS question.

I am a finely tuned packing machine.

I have packing cubes...hanging toiletry bags...towel clips...magnetic hooks...capsule travel wardrobe...iPad loaded with books...

So YEAH, everything you need, but not TOO much.

But we are cruising Saturday...plus at least 6 more times in the next year.

I want to shop--but I can't figure out anything to buy!

Any seasoned travelers who can suggest things that you JUST discovered that you can't live without now?

The only thing that I've bought recently that is cruise specific is a water proof pouch for our cell phones. These protect the phone from sand and the elements but they also allow you to use the camera underwater (not too deeply, of course). It was a great score but unfortunately we didn't get a chance to try them out because they were packed in the carry-on bag, the one that I forgot to put in the car.🤪

• Haha 1

After all these years stuffing jewelry in various bags, pill cases (great for post earrings!), etc. I decided to buy a travel jewelry case that folds flat and a new, improved pill box (for pills this time).

image.png.8bf0ff718c28eeacd0dd9cd6a4dc9fb3.png

image.png.b17e541161e7d2c1d4b9851f61460d22.png

• Like 1

I'm not one who is in favor of searching for tons of "organizational" ideas. Many of these things just add clutter, in my perspective.

Personally, I'd stick to things you know you need and would avoid buying in a more expensive shop. Ie - medicines, sunscreens, lotions, sodas, etc. 

• Like 8

In our 30 year cruising history, we buy or take nothing out of the ordinary for our cruises.  We try to pack as light as possible with only the clothes and toiletries we need for the duration of our cruise.  That and enough cash and credit resource to support our travel and any unexpected emergency.

The only essential items we are sure to have a supply that would be greater than the days away would be any prescription medication, including anything that may be needed and hard to obtain on board or in foreign ports of call.  We also are certain to have up to date passports and picture ID's as would be required by the cruise lines and ports of call for any given itinerary.

In short, we do nothing different for a cruise than we would do for any other vacation or travel.  The only "must haves" for us are the money, prescriptions, and ID as indicated. Organizers, packing cubes, magnetic hooks, etc., are all unnecessary clutter to us as well. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, George C said:

Carry any medicine in carry on, other items

suntan lotions

hat

crocs 

If flying and therefore more likely to have a suitcase get delayed/lost in transit, I also pack necessary toiletries and one change of clothes (day and night) in my carry-on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

After all these years stuffing jewelry in various bags, pill cases (great for post earrings!), etc. I decided to buy a travel jewelry case that folds flat and a new, improved pill box (for pills this time).

image.png.b17e541161e7d2c1d4b9851f61460d22.png

Mrs Ldubs has those pill boxes.  They are so much better than the long ones with the little doors that pop open when you don't want them to 

Wow! Alot of ideas that I never even had considered. Here's one which I wished I had packed on my last cruise. Some how I managed to get a tear on a shirt. The gift shop on the ship did not carry sewing kits.  I finally did find a place in Juneau that sold them-but, cost was much higher, as it was Alaska. Now I pack one -lesson learned!

We only do carry on since retiring. 

We double check for meds, eyewear, ipads/charger, passport, credit cards before locking the door. .  Plus 100ml of sunscreen for me.

Everyone has different 'essentials'.  We discovered after many trips that there are essentials, nice to haves, and not worth bothering about items let alone carrying them out the door.

Anything else can be purchased or repaired on route.   Never had an issue over ten years of very frequent post retirement travel.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, urbanhawk said:

Wow! Alot of ideas that I never even had considered. Here's one which I wished I had packed on my last cruise. Some how I managed to get a tear on a shirt. The gift shop on the ship did not carry sewing kits.  I finally did find a place in Juneau that sold them-but, cost was much higher, as it was Alaska. Now I pack one -lesson learned!

We typically do as well, along with small scissors and band aids.  But, consistent with my previous post, we consider these items as part of our toiletries which would always travel with us, not just on cruises.

definitely not an "essential" but I love my little tea lights for the bathroom and on the dresser. I usually bring 2-3. Battery operated. I love the soft light and I don't need to turn on the light to find the bathroom in the middle of the night. Plus it provides pretty soft lighting in the evenings 🙂

• Like 2

Normally I am a very light packer - on the basis you can buy anything anywhere - which is also true on a cruise ship - its just $$$. So  i carry more in the way of OTC and  first aid items than normal. I always have a  sewing kit with me  - again hard to find on board and/or expensive. 

We also carry  extra prescription medicines - ie for longer than the trip in case we're delayed returning for whatever reason. 

If its a warm water itinerary I would have a waterproof pouch so i can go swimming with my phone/passport 

Edited by lissie

14 minutes ago, dolittle said:

I see people buying travel sizes all the time ,to me these are a waste of money . The only one I ever buy is shaving cream. 

Agree. I have several smaller reusable travel containers that I decant my regular shampoo, conditioner,  sunscreen, and lotion into. My dental hygienist always gives out a toothbrush  and a small dental floss and tube of toothpaste  at each visit. The latter 2 are just the right size for a week.

The only thing I make a point of buying (when I start running low) are OTC meds and first aid items.

But none of this is cruise specific. I do the same for all travel.

My noise-cancelling headphones.  Can't travel without them!

My plastic fold-flat flower vase.  Weighs nothing and takes up no room.  It is a nice way to bring a little color to a drab hotel room or ship cabin.  Hit up a local market and buy a few flowers.  

We have small flashlights  - about 3 inches long - that we each use in the middle of the night when needing the bathroom. We use it mainly to avoid accidentally stepping on our dog. Now it will be our latest “ must pack” item for our cruise and/ or hotels just to avoid hitting something and falling or hurting ourselves during the night.

Many items are always in my handbag..purse, pen, hotel sewing kit, anti BAC wipes, tissues, Paracetamol, plasters, glasses, sun glasses, mints, tooth brush/paste, hair brush, mask, disposable gloves(since Covid) . Passport added for travel as well as currency

Carry on has torch, facecloth, meds, pac a Mac, battery tea light candle, spare glasses, sunglasses, book, chargers, adapters, Pringles or similar, travel sweets, change of clothes or three, swimsuit, flip flops (sliders) empty vacuum flask, microfibre towel, mini toiletries kit in Ziploc bag, paper copies of passport, booking forms, insurance, Covid vacc certificate copies, paper copies of locator etc

My husband complains about the weight he has to lift to the overhead lockers but I can manage with cabin bag if hold luggage goes AWOL..which it has several times , to arrive 2-3 days after us !

• Like 2

If it came down to it, I could jump on a ship with just a change of skivvies and have a fantastic, stress-free cruise.  But since I have an opportunity to bring more stuff, I am not too concerned about limiting myself.  Taking into consideration any physical limitations of what I can lug, and possible airline restrictions if I am flying to port, my suitcase is my oyster to fill however I want.

Some like to bring things to decorate and make the cabin more "homey".  Not my thing, but I think it is great for those who like to do that.

Some posters mention that packing extra conveniences is just adding clutter.  Again, that is fine for them.  Consider their advice, and then decide for yourself if that is "you", which I am sure is their intent.

Personally, I like to bring stuff that helps me hide or organize the clutter that always seems to happen, and stuff that just makes the space work better for my wife and I.

Trying not to repeat anything already mentioned in this thread, I like to bring the appropriate European-to-US plug adaptors and cords/power bars (non-surge protected) after considering the appliances/electronic devices that wife and I are bringing and our charging needs.  This includes doing a little research to see what outlets are available in the cabin.