Do you only log into Cruise Critic if you have a cruise scheduled ?

runningtide

I know there are “regulars” on CC that seem to be online constantly. I’m also aware that many CC subscribers always have one or more cruise scheduled on the horizon. For me, I generally schedule one cruise at a time. I have other activities that take up my time and money. Overall, I do 1 or 2 cruises a year, all with the Celebrity and RCL group. 

To answer my own question, I only log into this site if I have a cruise scheduled. I get a great deal of information regarding the “state” of cruising during my time frame. I find that at least once a day, I’ll log on and check the chatter, or possible response to something I posted. After my cruise , I might write a review, or read a few from others on my cruise.., but after a week or two…, my activity on the site go’s dark.

My best to all of you and thanks for an comments. 

See you on the next tack !

Edited by runningtide
  • Like 1

• runningtide changed the title to Do you only log into Cruise Critic if you have a cruise scheduled ?

When I first started off with Cruise Critic (and its earlier fore-runners), we only cruised once every two years, but I logged on daily because it is a good source of information.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Definitely browse more closer to departure date which currently is in a few weeks. We normally only cruise once a year. I always intend on reading some of the live threads, especially if they are on the same ship we are on. But I usually fall behind by page 3 and never come back to it. 

Your timing for this question is funnily interesting. I learned about CruiseCritics only in 2017. We had a planned cruise for that year and also one for 2018. Than, we booked one for 2019. So, for that time frame we only had one cruise in the books each year.

Than Covid occurred... and the booking/cancelling/re-booking etc... so, in answer to your question, as it turned out, since 2017, we always had at least one booked cruise.

I found that the "regulars" on Cruise Critics are very generous of their time and expertise. Some of the topics discussed are issues, I never thought of. 

So, from now on, whether it is to look for a new cruise idea, something to dream about,  or to obtain a piece of detailed information that TA don't always know or think to inform us about, I am having fun, browsing to see what's new.

• Like 3

Honestly, it has become a source of knowledge and entertainment during the Covid times. I check it almost daily and some of it gives me the giggles. Just being honest. I, however, have taken many cruises and hope I also provide good info and sometimes a few laughs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

For the past 15 years (esp pre-COVID), I find that I spend a lot more time on the roll calls (which of course, means that I have a cruise booked).

Also recently we have been taking more exotic cruises where information is hard to come by which is where Cruise Critic is valuable.

• Like 1

I’ll read daily when I have a cruise scheduled, but also read a lot when I’m planning a cruise. After I look at what itineraries are going on what lines/ships in whatever time frame and price range I am looking for,  then I’ll use CC to get more information about those ships to decide which cruise I want to book, and to determine if I think we’ll like a given cruise or ship. 

I only post a few times per cruise because I have so much more to do than waste my time on this forum………, which means I’ve made 3,000+ cruises?!?  Ooops. I guess this means I’ve posted a few more times than just on a roll Call or related to my personal cruises. 

OK, I teach a Center For Lifelong Learning class each semester, twice a year, on travel and use this as a good source of info. And I Love to just talk about cruising so I get into fun discussions here between cruises. Have 3 booked this year, and 2, a B2B, next year which means I’ll Have to add another one! 

Yes, enjoy CruiseCritic and I learn a good deal here. A few years ago I stepped away for an extended time because I found myself getting a bit to ‘smarty’, but hopefully, Im controlling that a bit, but I’m afraid some posters miss my ‘humor’ and i get the ‘boy are you grumpy/jerky/nasty’ type responses. Oh well.

den

• Like 3

I tend to check early morning. I tend to focus my interest firstly on comments/reviews regarding my next cruise (ship and itinerary). After that I glance at the headings of posts and open if I think I may have any advice or information to offer. 

5 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Honestly, it has become a source of knowledge and entertainment during the Covid times. I check it almost daily and some of it gives me the giggles. Just being honest. I, however, have taken many cruises and hope I also provide good info and sometimes a few laughs.

Agree, during covid and cancellation times CC reminded me that the good times would return!

• Like 1

Get news, updates, look at different cruise lines and what the experiences are with them.  I share my experiences in the hopes someone finds value in them.  Sometimes I have a cruise scheduled.  Sometimes I don’t. 

• Like 2

I’m not a prolific poster by any means, but now that cruising has returned,  I check the boards almost daily.  I currently have downtime at my job and CC helps keep me occupied 😃

I recently looked at the RCI board, which I hadn’t checked in years, and was blown away by how many posts there are.  Super easy to miss something there if you aren’t checking in frequently!

• Like 1

Another reason I log in here is that Celebrity sends me absolutely no emails.  Nothing from them on sales.  Specials.  Opening of new yearly itineraries.  Ship itinerary changes.  Nothing from Captain's Club.  Just a notice of when my final payment is due.  Others have the same problem.  I have tried to get this corrected but it never sticks.  So I have to come to CC to find out what is happening.

• Like 3

For us, as we are pretty much retired, cruising has evolved to become part of our daily lives as we usually have cruises booked for up to 2 years in advance. The Cruise Critic forums have been proven over the years to be a viable source of cruising knowledge; although to coin a phrase, we have learned to "Trust But Verify" before believing everything we read. 

However, I will say the CC forums really became intertwined with our cruising lifestyle when it was shut down and we started looking for that Light at the End of the Tunnel. That was quite a thread and I "met" a lot of wonderful people along the way that also share our joy of cruising. 

I also very much enjoy posting to Live threads when we're lucky enough to be on a 2-3 week cruise, as it helps pass the time while sitting on the balcony looking for wildlife and plotting ways to avoid the sun as we wait for the next meal! 😎

• Like 2

We generally cruise once or twice a year.  I love reading reviews and looking at photos, even if they are not ships I have been on or scheduled to sail on.  But more importantly, I receive a lot a good info about cruising and ideas for future cruises.  I may not look at CC daily until I get closer to a booked cruise.

I tend to lurk rather than post, and I do use CruiseCritic more when I have a cruise coming up. Mind you, I always have a cruise coming up.....

One thing I have noticed during covid is the number of cruisers on here who state while they don't believe they will ever cruise again they enjoy CruiseCritic so much they continue to post. 

As a person new to cruising, I've really appreciated all the knowledgeable folks who have shared tips and info. I like to open this forum a couple of times a day as a way of anticipating my 1st ever cruise. I have, a couple of times, asked a question and received some snark or condescending comments so now I am a little gun shy about posting on here.

I used to only visit CC when I was either planning on booking a cruise or have one booked. We haven't cruised since 01/2020 but are hoping to cruise again soon so I've been lurking and reading about what's going on now. I have no desire to wear a mask while cruising or flying so am kinda hanging out waiting for those things to go away (mask on cruise has and we'll find out about flying on or about the 18th of this month) before booking.

This is my 1st post in years……

I will actually have to see once I post, how long I’ve been a member of these forums. 

My wife and I booked our first cruise in 5 years last night. Soon as we finished the cabin selection and payment details, I then went and logged on to CC. I will probably be on the boards regularly until our May 6th departure. After that, I will go dormant until the next cruise we book. This has been the way we do it for our last 10 cruises.

We like CC. But only visit the sight when we are either looking to book a cruise, and need specific info from the CC community, or that we have a cruise already booked.

We always purchase our cruises directly from the cruise line.