Do you only log into Cruise Critic if you have a cruise scheduled ?

runningtide

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Another reason I log in here is that Celebrity sends me absolutely no emails.  Nothing from them on sales.  Specials.  Opening of new yearly itineraries.  Ship itinerary changes.  Nothing from Captain's Club.  Just a notice of when my final payment is due.  Others have the same problem.  I have tried to get this corrected but it never sticks.  So I have to come to CC to find out what is happening.

Lucky! I get 3-5 emails a day from them. Be careful what you wish for!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Only when I have a cruise booked (okay, I ALWAYS have a cruise booked!)  I am an obsessive planner, so I book years in advance.....if 2025/26 were open I'd have even more bookings!

But, I find tons of good information here!  And, lets face it, there are some people who post that I feel like I've gotten to know over the years!

Cheers!  I leave tomorrow for my 1st Celebrity cruise!

What a fun topic to post!  For us CC is a place to "chat" with like minded people and to find useful and interesting info, a place where I can talk about and read about cruising, where everyone else basically feels the same way.  We don't have any land based friends who understand our love of cruising so we can't really talk about cruising with them because they just don't get it.  This is a forum, a safe haven, where we can indulge ourselves.   And like others have said, and I'm happy to say, that we always have cruises booked - right now, through 2023, we have 13 to look forward to.  I can say that to you readers, and I don't have to be nervous that I sound like I'm bragging!  Land friends, nope, I'd never admit that, they really don't get it!   The love of cruising is a common bond here on CC, uniting us, no matter what other issues may divide us.

• Like 4

I'm here more when I have a cruise scheduled and as it gets closer.  I'm on more when there is a lot of X news.   These last couple of years have been different.  I was on the South American cruise on X when the first covid news came out in late Dec. so I have been following trying to keep up with the rule changes etc. 

I only cruise once a year.  Not because of price but because I'm working and I only have so many vacation days.  My partner is retired.  But I'm on Cruise Critic all the time.  It's how I travel vicariously.  If I only came on right before the cruise I'd miss a lot of details.  And I'd have to read all these threads from the beginning so I don't miss anything.

15 hours ago, Denny01 said:

‘boy are you grumpy/jerky/nasty’ type responses.

I'm on the site fairly often because I'm essentially nosy and with winter/pandemic there's only so many spreadsheets I can conquer, books to read. TV....don't even mention the hours there, so the site breaks it all up into pieces for me.  No life I guess until golf and gardening season and cruises.  I post more now than when I mostly  'lurked' in the early years.  Reasons I'm here.........the comments are sometimes interesting, sometimes funny, sometimes I wonder how much is 'honest' opinion, and sometimes snarky, as I was called by a poster(s) recently, most likely I deserved it.........but mostly people here are truly looking for answers, especially the newbies, so I'm not too happy when a question which is new to them and old to some of us, and they're curtly told to search for the answer in prior posts.  I'm not much help although we've cruised tooooo many times I think to the same places,  but if I can, I'll try to help.  This site has been such a help to me even though we have enjoyed many X and other lines as well...especially the tips alerting a re-pricing :classic_biggrin:.

So to your 'comment'.....as much as I've read many of your posts, I'd be hard pressed to call you.....ever.....what you say posters say about you in their responses.  You're giving us all a lesson in humility....🎖️

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

Only when I have a cruise booked (okay, I ALWAYS have a cruise booked!)  I am an obsessive planner, so I book years in advance.....if 2025/26 were open I'd have even more bookings!

But, I find tons of good information here!  And, lets face it, there are some people who post that I feel like I've gotten to know over the years!

Cheers!  I leave tomorrow for my 1st Celebrity cruise!

Enjoy your FIRST .....  and I hope you'll report back and let us know how your cruise compared with all of your past experiences.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

balcony looking for wildlife

I'm sorry but I had a big 'roar' when I saw your comment re wildlife from your balcony....I was imaging a big moose rearing it's ugly head out of the water in a snapshot of my mind. I settled down quickly and realized it was marine life ...shark or dolphin.  I hope you don't mind, but I had my laugh of the day....not at your expense just saw the humour you probably didn't intend.....mea culpa .... :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lexmiller said:

And like others have said, and I'm happy to say, that we always have cruises booked - right now, through 2023, we have 13 to look forward to.  I can say that to you readers, and I don't have to be nervous that I sound like I'm bragging!

I have to ask, what does your cruise schedule look like?  How many months with two cruises?  Totally jealous 😃

57 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I'm sorry but I had a big 'roar' when I saw your comment re wildlife from your balcony....I was imaging a big moose rearing it's ugly head out of the water in a snapshot of my mind. I settled down quickly and realized it was marine life ...shark or dolphin.  I hope you don't mind, but I had my laugh of the day....not at your expense just saw the humour you probably didn't intend.....mea culpa .... :classic_wink:

LOL!! Don't forget the birds and the little flying fish too! But I have to say, I did see some bears and a bunch of eagles (over 50) a few years back off in the distance on the shoreline when we were cruising up in Alaska. Heck, someone said they even saw a whale while relaxing up at the Sunset Bar on our recent Reflection cruise in February in the Caribbean when we were, of course, having fun somewhere else on the ship.

Our favorite places to see wildlife are Alaska, South America and Antarctica as well as Australia and the Galapagos! But, we might have to add East/South Africa to the list shortly as we're booked on a long B2B on NCL this fall which includes 3 safaris!

But, you never know when you're going to see a pod of dolphins go swimming by. Us humans are so easily entertained. 😂

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

…..So to your 'comment'.....as much as I've read many of your posts, I'd be hard pressed to call you.....ever.....what you say posters say about you in their responses.  You're giving us all a lesson in humility....

Wow, thank you very much….many post here to help others, or to get help, and of course both, but part of it is to  just ‘enjoy’ talking and thinking about our favorite pastime. Have met a number of people we’ve cruised with after ‘talking’ here and its been more than ‘fun’.

And I strongly agree with your observation that the posts ‘this has been discussed many times, go search for it’ are posts that I kind of wish they’d remove - I’m Not telling our monitors how to do their job! - because if that was actually followed, this forum would be almost empty…hehe… And it’s more than a bit nasty towards the poster asking for help. 

My wife has heard so many of my ‘seas stores’ and various rants and wailings that she has them memorized……my only defense is they must be true because they are the same over and over!!!!….she just rolls her eyes. 

oh well. Again thank you. that made me feel very special and of couse being sooooo humble, I needed that!

den

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

this has been discussed many times, go search for it’ are posts that I kind of wish they’d remove - I’m Not telling our monitors how to do their job! -

Oh my...did you think that is what I intended ....  I didn't think these brush off posts should be reported and removed.  The monitors are there for a reason....we are not monitors.  Hope that clears it up....after all...I can be snarky but I don't think mean...LOL. 

Edited by Oceangoer2

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

LOL!! Don't forget the birds and the little flying fish too! But I have to say, I did see some bears and a bunch of eagles (over 50) a few years back off in the distance on the shoreline when we were cruising up in Alaska. Heck, someone said they even saw a whale while relaxing up at the Sunset Bar on our recent Reflection cruise in February in the Caribbean when we were, of course, having fun somewhere else on the ship.

Our favorite places to see wildlife are Alaska, South America and Antarctica as well as Australia and the Galapagos! But, we might have to add East/South Africa to the list shortly as we're booked on a long B2B on NCL this fall which includes 3 safaris!

But, you never know when you're going to see a pod of dolphins go swimming by. Us humans are so easily entertained. 😂

You are so very well travelled....we've cruised often but Europe (in places) and the Caribbean (too many places, too many times..but so familiar it's like putting on that old jacket or shoes).  We really should get out more and then I might not have gone to 'moose' right away in my mind....even though I've never even seen a live moose...:classic_sad:...except on TV.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, runningtide said:

I used to log in every morning and catch up on the cruise news over a cup of coffee.  Loved reading the live cruise reviews and picking up tips, tricks, and hacks for cruising.  Then March 2020 happened and everything seemingly turned political and hostile (not necessarily on the Celebrity board) so I took a break.  Only just started dipping my toes back in to CC and hoping I can once again soon step foot upon a cruise ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hiccups said:

I have to ask, what does your cruise schedule look like?  How many months with two cruises?  Totally jealous 😃

Hi, Hiccups - well, first off, we are retired so we have lots of free time, and time stops for no one, the years tick by and arthritis doesn't take a pause, so we feel like we have a lot of adventuring to catch up on after missing two years to covid restrictions.  We have a 4 cruise back to back planned next year in Australia, NZ, South Pacific, Hawaii, ending in Vancouver - we were fully packed for that one, literally one day from flying to Sydney, when all cruising shut down in March 2020, so we hope this time, we make it.  We also have a 3 cruise back to back planned on the Apex including Egypt and Israel, Greek Islands and the autumn TA.  Looking forward to the autumn TA as the clock goes in our favor heading west, gaining an hour almost every day vs losing them 😜.  We have the eastbound TA this April on the Edge to look forward to, our first sailing on an E-Class ship, have a sunset veranda booked.  We disembark in Civitavecchia, spend a week in Italy, fly to Amsterdam and board the Apex for the British Isles cruise.  We hope that all covid testing goes well for this trip!  We also will be heading to Alaska as well as the New England/Canada cruise - hoping that the Canadian testing regulations don't hold these two cruises up.  So we have many adventures planned and we hope nothing gets in our way, no repeat of March 2020!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, C-Ya said:

This is my 1st post in years……

I will actually have to see once I post, how long I’ve been a member of these forums. 

My wife and I booked our first cruise in 5 years last night. Soon as we finished the cabin selection and payment details, I then went and logged on to CC. I will probably be on the boards regularly until our May 6th departure. After that, I will go dormant until the next cruise we book. This has been the way we do it for our last 10 cruises.

We like CC. But only visit the sight when we are either looking to book a cruise, and need specific info from the CC community, or that we have a cruise already booked.

We always purchase our cruises directly from the cruise line.

Our next cruise is also May 6th…., the ABC cruise on Equinox. All the best my friend !

8 hours ago, dgoz said:

As a person new to cruising, I've really appreciated all the knowledgeable folks who have shared tips and info. I like to open this forum a couple of times a day as a way of anticipating my 1st ever cruise. I have, a couple of times, asked a question and received some snark or condescending comments so now I am a little gun shy about posting on here.

Hi Dgoz….As to your comment about some CC responses being snark or condescending, I totally understand your reaction. It is an unfortunate part of any open forum. Don’t let it stop you from posting any question or comment. Just consider the few people who respond in a negative way as background noise. You’ll find there are so many caring and generous people on this group that will gladly respond to your post. Hell…, it’s one of the reasons many of us are here in the first place.

All the best my friend……..See you on the next tack !

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 8:50 PM, TrulyBlonde said:

Honestly, it has become a source of knowledge and entertainment during the Covid times. I check it almost daily and some of it gives me the giggles. Just being honest. I, however, have taken many cruises and hope I also provide good info and sometimes a few laughs.

Same for me and although my next cruise is not until 2023, the humor and fun and laugh factor is like a magnet for me.  May you please tell me if on APEX is the butter individually wrapped pads or shared with the entire table?

Edited by LGW59
  • Haha 3

I used to only log in closer to cruising day, but I have found it very useful and entertaining so now I check in every morning. Sometimes I can help answer questions which makes me feel good because I’ve gotten so much information on this site. People are generally kind but I don’t take it personally if someone is snarky. I just read on. Three upcoming cruises in 12 months. Making up for lost Covid time!

I used to check out Cruise Critic site every once in a while, more often right before a cruise.  At the time, we almost always cruised on Princess.

Pre-pandemic, we had several Princess cruises booked that kept getting pushed back until last year, when cruising resumed.  As I got deeper into planning stage (excursions, flights, etc), I was informed that Princess would not be allowing passengers on peritoneal dialysis to sail with them (dh is on PD).  We are vaxed and boosted and I was very annoyed.  I scoured the Boards on CC and found that it was primarily a Carnival Cruise stance and not industry-wide.  Someone suggested I call Celebrity - which I did.  We were on a B2B on the Millennium in December and loved it!

Although we have one more Princess cruise planned for later this year, we have 4 more booked on Celebrity (over the next couple of years. I'm still working and would like to stay employed for now!)

I have picked up so many great tips on the site:  packing, tipping, excursions, on board restaurants, cabin locations, hotels, etc.  People are so generous with their experiences; it is an invaluable tool when vacation planning . 

• Like 2