Jewelry. Do you take your wedding ring/engagement ring?

I never gave this any thought, but I recently read somewhere that people don’t take their wedding rings and engagement rings on cruises. We’re going to eastern and western Caribbean. We don’t scuba dive or snorkel. Mostly go to local beaches/beach clubs and bars near ports. I never take my rings off. Now I’m debating whether or not to take them. 

• Haha 1

i never take any jewelry with me when i travel. Having lost rings in the past, and after witnessing an assault/robbery where someone had a lovely necklace ripped off her neck, cutting her neck, I just dont see the need to risk things that are important to me. I do have a plain gold wedding band that i do wear, but its not flashy or obvious.

• Like 2

That's like buying a really cool car and not driving it because gas prices have gone up.  I don't want to file an insurance claim, but life is way too short to not enjoy what you like if it's possible.

Now, if it's a hassle or a big worry for you, then absolutely don't bring your favorite pieces.  But if you love them, get a rider on your insurance and enjoy them.

I am cautious about being too obvious in some ports with some bracelets, necklaces etc.  And if I'm scuba diving then I typically don't wear any jewelry.  But on the ship, no worries.

Edited by cindivan
  • Like 6

DW will not wear nice jewelry onto an island or at a beach, but she will wear to dinner on board.

She will leave jewelry on the desk, as we both are confident even the room steward would not confiscate.  

So if you are not afraid to wear it at home, why not on a cruise?  I can’t see much of a difference. 

Eddie

• Like 7

I absolutely take and wear my jewelry.  There is no problem at all on the ship and there is a safe to store your valuables when you aren't wearing something.  I use caution in certain ports and wear costume jewelry there.  I wouldn't take expensive jewelry in the ocean.  Why chance it getting lost.  Use common sense.  We also don't wonder outside of the port areas in certain places unless on a reputable tour.    

• Like 7

I wear a simple wedding band in port, and much of the time onboard as well--but that's mostly because my engagement ring is lovely but a bit unwieldy. 😉 Even at home, I have ring holders throughout the house because I take it off a lot.

But if you are in the habit of wearing them all the time, my guess is you'd feel uncomfortable without them. The odds of having a ring stolen aren't great, and if you're not into snorkeling or diving, you're probably pretty safe.

• Like 2

We spend two nights in hotels driving to Florida for a cruise.  I always take my wedding ring off at night and I’m afraid in a strange hotel I might forget to put it back on in the rush to repack and get back on the road.  My engagement ring is soldered to my wedding band so they stay lined up.  I wear an inexpensive band I bought at my favorite jeweler in St. Maarten on trips instead.  But to each their own!

• Like 3

30 cruises and I've ALWAYS worn my real jewelry.   I have insurance.  I'm not afraid to wear what I own.  Why own it if you're afraid to wear it?  I've taken to to NYC, FL, etc and always worn it.  Why own if if you're "afraid" to wear it?  And, I have some expensive pieces.

Edited by BND
  • Like 4

I bring jewelry to wear at night - because why have it? But I'm not a day time jewelry wearer at home so I don't wear it. 

My friend that's married just brings silicone rings on cruises (she has multiple colors) and other trips. Her set it worth a crap ton of money so she is sometimes worried it could make her a target.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I bring jewelry to wear at night - because why have it? But I'm not a day time jewelry wearer at home so I don't wear it. 

My friend that's married just brings silicone rings on cruises (she has multiple colors) and other trips. Her set it worth a crap ton of money so she is sometimes worried it could make her a target.

I have a 2 ct solitaire engagement ring plus other expensive pieces but I wear them everywhere.  Mine is also worth a "crap ton" but I have it to wear.   Otherwise, why own it?