This will make you roll your eyes...why is TV so bad on cruise ships?

CruisinShips

I smile as I type this, because I know it's a ridiculous comment and the first response (as it should be) will be that one shouldn't be watching TV on a ship (and the second will be that the cruise line probably doesn't want you watching too much either).  But I am the only one who can't stand that aside from the few news or sports channels, and the movies, much of what one sees on a cruise ship is some sitcoms and other shows that seem to be shown on a loop?

Yeah, I guess I am probably the only one. 😉

I suspect that is has to do with the bottom line. Since live TV programming is provided via a satellite link, the cruise lines probably have financial arrangements with a limited number of networks in order to minimize costs.

The "looped" programming is probably pre-recorded. I'm just happy to have at least one news channel in order to keep current with events outside the cruise ship bubble.

I am not rolling my eyes. When I lie down in bed and DW is asleep and I am trying to wind down, usually I want to watch a movie that I've seen before or something. So the TV is definitely getting used in my room. I think when we're at sea, everything must be supplied via the satellite as opposed to the regular towers, so that's why there's limited programming. 

• Like 2

It would be nice if they would allow us to stream via our own devices.  Of course that would require fairly consistent internet signal.  We don't watch movies at home so sea days are movie days.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

It would be nice if they would allow us to stream via our own devices.  Of course that would require fairly consistent internet signal.  We don't watch movies at home so sea days are movie days.  

Even letting me play content ive downloaded on a screen as opposed to my ipad. Seems like granting HDMI access is a no brainer. 

• Like 1

If you can manage to plug-in the hdmi cable and bring a universal remote that allows you to change inputs, you CAN use your own devices, from my experience. And on some ships, in the higher end suites they actually make it easy to use your own devices, but I've never stayed in those rooms.

Now, I've only done this on carnival ships. This will be my first HAL cruise, but I'll probably rig something up like I usually do. This thread has some pictures that show the difficulty in getting to the hdmi on Zuiderdam:

14 minutes ago, five. said:

If you can manage to plug-in the hdmi cable and bring a universal remote that allows you to change inputs, you CAN use your own devices, from my experience. And on some ships, in the higher end suites they actually make it easy to use your own devices, but I've never stayed in those rooms.

Now, I've only done this on carnival ships. This will be my first HAL cruise, but I'll probably rig something up like I usually do. This thread has some pictures that show the difficulty in getting to the hdmi on Zuiderdam:

Currently HAL does not allow this, having disabled the HDMI ports.  There is a note of that on the website 

I wasn't on HAL, but some years ago I got sick and was quarantined (not covid) for three days, so I spent the time watching HGTV shows on a loop and got all caught up with my favorites! 😁

4 hours ago, Kay S said:

I wasn't on HAL, but some years ago I got sick and was quarantined (not covid) for three days, so I spent the time watching HGTV shows on a loop and got all caught up with my favorites! 😁

Sounds like what my DW would have done. I don't think she ever answered my question of whether they ever flop on Flip or Flop. 😉

• Like 1

I remember rccl used to show Big Bang Therory , same episode over and over , in several different languages. My cruise last month was a 70’s music cruise so they showed some great 70’s movies like godfather and blazing saddles on tv.

• Like 1

I just knew that some techno-wizard would post on here about dingles & dangles & firing-sticks & such 🥴. Even if the HRT connectery plug-thing wasn't disabled I wouldn't be able to find it, and we don't travel with a six-year-old great-grandchild to set it up for us. And whenever I've tried live-streaming a football match from some dodgy pirate internet source, some geek in the ether bombards my FB page with get-rich-quick adverts and changes my home page to Yahoo 😕.

Best ship's in-cabin TV we ever had was on the smallest & oldest & rustiest tub we've sailed - Voyages of Discovery's MS Discovery. Not live TV, just seriously old films - many in black & white - but hand-picked and featuring our destinations - The Odessa File, Papillon,  Bob Hope / Frank Sinatra Road to Hong Kong & Road to Bali & such. 

But you and I aren't alone.

There are plenty of questions on Cruise Critic asking if this ship will be showing the Liverpool vs Real Madrid match or that ship will be showing the Superbowl.

And the answer is usually "yes" (or "probably"), in the sports bar.

You've got to get a life, CruisinShips.🙄

And so have I 🤣

JB 🙂

9 hours ago, George C said:

I remember rccl used to show Big Bang Therory , same episode over and over , in several different languages. My cruise last month was a 70’s music cruise so they showed some great 70’s movies like godfather and blazing saddles on tv.

I was on a different music cruise last month which celebrated a different part of the 70s and it had a couple of channels dedicated to 70s movies on a loop.  I didn't pay much attention to them, so I can't tell you what was actually featured.  On The 80s Cruise from earlier this month, there were three channels with 80s movies on a loop.  Again, I didn't pay much attention.

What I DID pay more attention to is that both beamed their concerts live from the main theater.  I thought this was great when I wanted to keep my distance for whatever reason, or didn't want to fool around with walking to the main theater from the cabin, or I just wanted to see the show twice.  This doesn't happen on regular cruises that I've found; the best I have seen is that certain shows and lectures are recorded and placed on loop on one of the cruise line's channels.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

I smile as I type this, because I know it's a ridiculous comment and the first response (as it should be) will be that one shouldn't be watching TV on a ship (and the second will be that the cruise line probably doesn't want you watching too much either).  But I am the only one who can't stand that aside from the few news or sports channels, and the movies, much of what one sees on a cruise ship is some sitcoms and other shows that seem to be shown on a loop?

Yeah, I guess I am probably the only one. 😉

There is TV on cruise ships ,really ?

• Haha 1

Maybe I am the odd one out, but, I am quite happy with the TV programming that I have experienced on the newer ships.  Live programming?  Yes, it is limited to a certain number of channels, but, if it is possible for the ship to tap into a channel that carries a sporting event that many of the guests would enjoy watching, it's done.  The new interactive TVs have so many options of what to watch!  

What I do not like is when one has to pay to watch certain movies. 

• Like 1

I am quite content with what channels there are. I try not to watch a lot on vacation. Maybe something while getting ready for dinner. Sometimes something at night once we lay down.

Cable comes with costs. I also wonder what is the impact if there were more channels, keeping people in the room, and not spending more about.

• Like 1

Most interactive television systems on cruise ships disable the inputs on the smart TVs to avoid passengers uploading computer viruses into the system and crashing it.

The Marine Internet Satellites used by most cruise ships were designed and launched into space before we even thought of streaming and 5G. Most cannot handle the bandwidth required to make all the new Apps and toys work properly.

Cruise ships cannot legally re-broadcast television programming to paying customers without paying royalties directly to the broadcaster, or through a very costly satellite decoding license.

The decoding license this year to show the superbowl game on my ship was $40,000. This was just for the 3-hour game, and did not include the half-time show or those great commercials.

For several years RCCL's biggest onboard revenue stream - and highest profit - was renting adult movies via a video on demand system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BruceMuzz said:

Most interactive television systems on cruise ships disable the inputs on the smart TVs to avoid passengers uploading computer viruses into the system and crashing it.

The Marine Internet Satellites used by most cruise ships were designed and launched into space before we even thought of streaming and 5G. Most cannot handle the bandwidth required to make all the new Apps and toys work properly.

Cruise ships cannot legally re-broadcast television programming to paying customers without paying royalties directly to the broadcaster, or through a very costly satellite decoding license.

The decoding license this year to show the superbowl game on my ship was $40,000. This was just for the 3-hour game, and did not include the half-time show or those great commercials.

For several years RCCL's biggest onboard revenue stream - and highest profit - was renting adult movies via a video on demand system.

They would have had a revolt if they did not show the Super Bowl!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 1:46 PM, Mary229 said:

Currently HAL does not allow this, having disabled the HDMI ports.  There is a note of that on the website 

You are talking about one cruise line.  Other lines have different policies and quite a few have no restrictions on streaming.  Of course the quality of Internet depends on the ships bandwidth,  location, atmospheric conditions, etc.  But some of us are happy to get away from TV and constantly being connected.   I should add that I am currently in the middle of the Atlantic (on our way to Europe) and our ship gives unlimited free Internet (one device per person).

Hank

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You are talking about one cruise line.  Other lines have different policies and quite a few have no restrictions on streaming.  Of course the quality of Internet depends on the ships bandwidth,  location, atmospheric conditions, etc.  But some of us are happy to get away from TV and constantly being connected.   I should add that I am currently in the middle of the Atlantic (on our way to Europe) and our ship gives unlimited free Internet (one device per person).

Hank

I was responding to a poster who specifically mentioned HAL.