What's in your backpack for a day in port?

BuckeyeMark

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Obviously you do NOT need to bring passport - most experienced cruisers (and cruise lines) say you need to leave your passport in your safe.  And the “medallion” only exists on certain lines.  The rest will largely depend upon the size of your back pack, whether you plan to leave it on the beach while swimming, and your willingness to carry a lot of stuff - among many other considerations.

Please do your own due diligence and check the individual country that you are visiting regarding passports.

It might well be a requirement by law.

If that is the case, there can be tough penalties for tourists who do not have their passport with them....and I wouldn't fancy that! 

Hopefully the Captain would advise you  🤞

10 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

Not obvious to this seasoned traveler. There is no reason at all to take your passport ashore, unless you’re hoping to get it stolen and spend some time at the US consulate. Take a copy and  another form of ID. 

Every reason - many countries require you to have your passport with you at all times.  If something happens and you end up in an accident/hospital/consulate - you'll miss the boat and need your passport to get home.  

• Like 2

A few years ago at a tender port in NZ - Akaraoa - the wind came up and the tenders couldn't get back. Basically 1/2 the cruise (I think it was a Princess one ) - ended up stuck on shore. It  made the news as the town is small (about 5000 ) so people literally  opened their homes to give guests a bed and a meal. For many it was a highlight. 

Except for the ones taking drugs which they couldn't skip e.g. heart meds. They had to find a chemist that could open late on a Sunday and provide prescription meds to people without scripts some of whom didn't know the exact names of what they were taking.  If you are on that sort drug (my partner is) - don't leave the ship without a few days meds in a bottom pocket somewhere. 

Pretty much  iwould take what I would take for any day out sightseeing when travelling: 

* cash - cards - passport 

* camera,spare batteries 

* phone,  battery charger relevant cables 

* hat (sun or cold),

* umbrella (sun or rain) 

* layers (sarong or warm layers) 

* water 

* minimal first aid stuff 

It weights about 4kg and I forget I have it on.  Note the important stuff e.g. passport and some cards/cash are in a money belt under my clothes. The day's cash is in a pocket 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lissie said:

Every reason - many countries require you to have your passport with you at all times.  If something happens and you end up in an accident/hospital/consulate - you'll miss the boat and need your passport to get home.  

Could you please share that list of countries?

What backpack? I don't use one.  I have a small crossbody bag that I wear. It is VERY lightweight. And it depends on the excursion.  But if I am going (example) on a sightseeing tour? I bring a credit card, my sea pass card and some money and my license. Normally I will bring a bottle of water too. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

Could you please share that list of countries?

Can you name a country that does NOT  require a passport for your to fly internationally?  USA requires me to have a passport with me, so does  Schengen countries, UK, China, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia -those are just hte ones I went to in the last few years. 

I'm ok in Australia without it because I have the right to live there. You'd be OK in NZ because we don't require anyone to carry ID 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Can you name a country that does NOT  require a passport for your to fly internationally?  USA requires me to have a passport with me, so does  Schengen countries, UK, China, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia -those are just hte ones I went to in the last few years. 

I'm ok in Australia without it because I have the right to live there. You'd be OK in NZ because we don't require anyone to carry ID 

Not what I asked, I asked to see the list of the “many” countries you

said required a passport ashore.

You do you, I’ll do me and when another OP says it is obvious to carry a passport ashore, I’ll disagree again.

Edited by Pudgesmom

2 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

Not what I asked, I asked to see the list of the “many” countries you

said required a passport ashore.

I listed my personal experience countries in the last few years (remembering we've been locked down for 2 years here).  Do your own research or not - I am not going to be the one explaining to local cops I don't have a passport 

• Like 1

Been at this independent travel and cruise game for over forty years.  During that time we have been blessed to have visited over 130 countries.  When in cruise ports we simply carry some money, at least one major credit card and our phone.  Unless going to a beach we have no need for a backpack.  We do put the phone number of the local agent on our phones.

If we plan on renting a car we would bring our license :).  If we plan on going a long distance from the port we will have a Plan B to catch up to the ship at the next port.  As to the Passport issue we prefer not to carry it but will in places where required.  As a general rule we do not want to carry things which if lost or stolen would cause us a lot of grief.

Hank

The last 2 times I flew overseas was back in July 2021 to Greece and then in October to Lisbon. After arriving on board the ship, they took everyone's passport and held it until closer to the end of the trip. 

So there was no way anyone brought it on tours. 

On 3/29/2022 at 12:45 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

Trying to put together a little bag full of the essentials that I can just throw in my backpack each day and know I'm good.  OBVIOUSLY YOU NEED TO BRING MONEY, PASSPORT, YOUR MEDALLION, ETC.

I'm looking for some of the extras that can prove handy but I'm also trying not to bring the kitchen sink.

So I'm bringing:

* small Field Notes notebook

* pen

* 99 store rain poncho 

* couple of band-aids

* protein bar
* phone charger cord

* extra battery for phone
* ibuprofen

What else have you brought along? This is just a day in port. Anything major I could go back to the ship or deal with when I get back to the ship. This is the kind of stuff you need to keep going on your excursion (comfortably!) or that makes the day a little easier. Whatcha got?

One Christmas at work I received as a gift a shaving kit in a leather case.I had a full beard and never used the contents of the case.I use the case to carry the following items when in port:

brochures

maps

camera

On my person,a small amount of money,GasX and my sea pass card

• Like 1

Like @Lois RI carry a Travelon cross body bag. 

For a city port

Water bottle

Tissues

Cash and 1 x credit card

Phone - photo of passports on it and ship/agent phone number

Band aid (for blisters) 

Aspirin/ibruprofen 

Mints 

Emergency sanitary protection 

Depending on climate I might also hang an umbrella and or pac-a-mac on it too. 

Beach port 

Add beach towels and sun protection 

Be an eco-cruiser and use a refillable bottle please!! Single-use plastic  bottles are filling up the garbage areas.  Even Capri has banned them, as tourist traffic and the garbage generated has created an issue.

There are so many sizes and price points for bottles that there is one out there to fit everyone.

Depending on where I am, I put my travel utensil kit in my  bag with my knife - I may run into a market and want to make my own meal!

Edited by slidergirl

Hello I have a similar question.  On our Mediterranean cruise in October we will be visiting places like the Vatican, Pompeii, etc. where they have restrictions on bag sizes. We have a small back pack 12" x 16" x 6".  I have read the restrictions on the websites for Vatican and Pompeii and this bag is close to their size limits. I would like my husband to carry this with a light jacket for each and our essentials for the day. We also like to travel light, but need to carry certain med's and have somewhere to stuff our hats and things while we are in churches, etc. Have any of you had difficulties in these places? Or did you have to check the bag? Thanks!

My answer to the original question is very port specific. Yesterday we docked at Gibraltar. Weather was pleasantly cool and dry - no need to drag along rain gear. You are never more than a few miles from the ship, facilities are modern and clean, probably one of the easiest ports to visit.

Sun screen and insect spray for Brazil. The right shoes. Some ladies wore fancy flip flops on Komodo Island. Bad mistake when a sudden downpour turned the dirt path to mud. Common sense.

A port call in a third world country such as Angola requires more thought and planning. Yes, a stop there will be on our December cruise. The guides will be locals without training or certification, and the bus might be an old school bus. Still worth the experience.

Over more than two decades of travel and cruising, and visiting more than 100 countries, maybe two countries required passports to be on our person at all times. When that is the case, the cruise line takes great care to inform the guests.

3 hours ago, Shorex said:

Over more than two decades of travel and cruising, and visiting more than 100 countries, maybe two countries required passports to be on our person at all times. When that is the case, the cruise line takes great care to inform the guests.

Couldn't agree more.

7 hours ago, sanger727 said:

…passport, money, and credit cards don’t go in my backpack. Those go on my person. Backpacks are too easy to

pick pocket. 

And should stay on your person - even when swimming. (Unless on the person of a trusted companion).

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

Placing valuables in your backpack, passports, wallet, camera, cell phone, etc, is a great way to have them stolen.

Next time you are at a tourist spot sit back and see how cavalier some people are with their backpacks or purses.  Especially when they are taking a photo.