Way to make me feel OLD ... ​

20 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Have a friend that always claims having cruised on over 20 defunct lines. 

Wow!! I didn't even know that there were 20 defunct cruise lines!

19 hours ago, njkruzer said:

And probably at least one Carnival ship. Sure I'm missing some. 

Same here ... I phrased it as "at least six" because I've been on two Carnival cruises, in 2005 and 2009, but I can't remember the names of the ships. Make of that what you will. 😉 

12 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We also were on Pacific Princess, the original Love Boat, for her last season before she was sold. NY to Bermuda. It was exactly as what you saw on the TV show. Weirdest configured ship we were ever on.  

That's actually where my user name comes from--it's the title they gave to The Love Boat when it was syndicated in France. So I used to tell myself that I really should cruise on the original "Love Boat" at least once. But I read one too many comments like yours, and eventually decided to leave my childhood memories intact. 😄

• Like 2

10 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Wow!! I didn't even know that there were 20 defunct cruise lines!

Same here ... I phrased it as "at least six" because I've been on two Carnival cruises, in 2005 and 2009, but I can't remember the names of the ships. Make of that what you will. 😉 

That's actually where my user name comes from--it's the title they gave to The Love Boat when it was syndicated in France. So I used to tell myself that I really should cruise on the original "Love Boat" at least once. But I read one too many comments like yours, and eventually decided to leave my childhood memories intact. 😄

That cruise on Pacific Princess (aka Love Boat) was actually our favorite cruise we’ve ever had.  Partly due to the fact that there were only 600+ guests and we had the best cruise director I’ve ever seen. British lady, blond hair, she was hysterical. The fact that it was an older ship with its quirks is part of what made it our best cruise memory in all our years of cruising.

• Like 1

The only ship I have sailed on, was sold.

But we leave on her in just over 2 weeks, because she was unsold.

Grandeur of the Seas. 😄

Now airlines, I have flown on a lot of airlines that no longer exist.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Me thinks, that is a bad example.  I have yet to find a cruise that I have booked on RCI, that I didn’t find a better deal on using a TA.  

I totally agree!  My TA has gotten me Refundable cruises at great prices;  onboard credit is another plus!!!

20 minutes ago, SRF said:

Grandeur of the Seas. 😄

Have a great cruise!!!!

Our first was Sovereign in 1991. Bonus points for having SeaPass card? We sailed Majesty in 2019 and it was a great cruise on a beautiful ship still. OK, yeah, the 'Tween Deck was kinda funky, but other than that.

On the topic of feeling old, our first time on Celebrity back in the '00s, we were thinking that their clientele was really, really old. Now many years later, it is amazing how things have changed .. they are our age!

sovereign.jpg

• Like 4

My very first cruise was in 2000 on what was then the Nieuw Amsterdam (I know, not RCCL but it fits in this thread about being old). It was sailing from Vancouver to Alaska and we were told it was being sold off at the end of the summer to a company that was going to sail it around the Hawaiian Islands. 

Anyway, the point is that ship was so different from everything I’ve sailed on since. Lots of teak and brass instead of chrome and plastic. It smelled like wood and polish. It was also the only cruise I’ve been on where they served baked Alaska one night and the waiters all paraded into the dining room carrying the desserts while they were on fire. The desserts were on fire, not the waiters. Just to be clear. 😉

Such a classy cruise. Felt like how cruise ships must’ve been Back In The Day. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, nelblu said:

Could not mistake the Macrodome.  The quality of the food was absolutely fantastic.  Even ahd the opportunity to have the Maitre D prepare a special entree by our table.

Re the Oceanic:  The best feature we enjoyed on the cruise was the indoor swimming pool that was down on a lower deck and amidships..

My daughter was a red head and I didn't have to worry about sunburn when using the indoor pool.

12 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Re the Oceanic:  The best feature we enjoyed on the cruise was the indoor swimming pool that was down on a lower deck and amidships..

My daughter was a red head and I didn't have to worry about sunburn when using the indoor pool.

I forgot about that pool.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Grandeur of the Seas. 😄

Mergers and Consolidation guaranteed that

Ozark, TWA, Piedmont, Northwest.

Piedmont was cute because they all had names

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Food on Ozark was better than first class on AA.  

Sailed Song of Norway for our honeymoon back in September of 1990.  The pool had windows. If you went inside to the hallway, you could see folks swimming around. Also, if my old memory is good.... you had to go outside and climb sets to get to the Viking crown lounge.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Homosassa said:

When I sailed her way back, lounge chair reservations by pool were required and had to pay.   If I remember it was $1 per chair, per day.   The pool attendant usually would set you up every day.  We tipped him at end of cruise.

Edited by nelblu

On 3/30/2022 at 8:07 PM, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

I recently realized that at least SIX of the ships I've sailed on have been sold off, or scrapped altogether. Considering that I only started cruising in 2004, that seems like quite a lot. Maybe I'm just the kiss of death... 🤨

Does anyone have me beat?

For me the Sovereign and CCL Fascination.  Oh I did the Home Lines as well

I wish I had the chance to get on Empress when she was still with RCI.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nelblu said:

When I sailed her way back, lounge chair reservations by pool were required and had to pay.   If I remember it was $1 per chair, per day.   The pool attendant usually would set you up every day.  We tipped him at end of cruise.

I do remember reserved chairs but don't remember paying. I also recall we had assigned attendants who brought me iced tea every afternoon.  We dressed for dinner. Cabin attendant unpacked and stored luggage.  Made me continental breakfast for the cabin every morning.   Of course this was 1971.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

That cruise on Pacific Princess (aka Love Boat) was actually our favorite cruise we’ve ever had.  Partly due to the fact that there were only 600+ guests and we had the best cruise director I’ve ever seen. British lady, blond hair, she was hysterical. The fact that it was an older ship with its quirks is part of what made it our best cruise memory in all our years of cruising.

So glad to hear you enjoyed it! Too bad I missed my chance. 🙂 

On 4/1/2022 at 11:43 AM, John&LaLa said:

And some recent big ones:  Continental, US Air, Northwest.

And I have flown on a number of non-US carriers that have gone.

I listed them one time, I have flown on something like 115 different airlines.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 5:07 PM, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

I recently realized that at least SIX of the ships I've sailed on have been sold off, or scrapped altogether. Considering that I only started cruising in 2004, that seems like quite a lot. Maybe I'm just the kiss of death... 🤨

Does anyone have me beat?

I was a young buck back on my first cruise in 1984 on the Carnival Tropicale. 20 cruises later, most of the Carnival ships I've been on are gone, lol! And I think one of Royal's is on the way out, lol! Still cruising after all these years, but also enjoy land based trips. I'm not sure how many people I've converted to cruising, but prob over 50! 99% were hooked, the other 1% hated them, lol!

• Like 2

I am sure I have sailed over a dozen that no longer are sailing my first 7 day cruise was the great Rotterdam in 1977, have sailed on over 70 cruises, first rccl was Sovereign which was amazing in 1988, before they built Sovereign the largest ship was Norway which I sailed 7 times starting in mid 1980’s those three were all amazing ships .

• Like 1

Cruise lines we've sailed that no longer exist:  Premier, Regal Empress.

Some of our ships are now hotels or otherwise land-based: Rotterdam, QE2.

Some are gone: StarShip Majestic, Norway, Meridian, Island Breeze, Sea Breeze, Regal Empress, Westerdam, Noordam, Melody, Ocean Breeze, Caronia.  All great ships.  Many of our other favorites have gone to other lines.  Sometimes I don't let myself check on them, as it makes me sad.

In a weird everything-comes-full-circle twist...

My very first cruise was to Alaska in 1986 (I was 9 at the time) on Sitmar's Fairsky. Two years later, Sitmar was merged into Princess, and she became the Sky Princess. In 2000, she was transferred to P&O and became Pacific Sky. Then in 2006, she became the Sky Wonder on Pullmantur Cruises, which was bought by Royal Caribbean.  In 2009, she was renamed Atlantic Star (still operating under Pullmantur). 

In 2013, Atlantic Star (which began life as Fairsky) was handed over to a shipyard in France as partial payment for building Harmony of the Seas, and then later scrapped that year.

Our very next cruise we're going on in October is on Harmony. 🙂

Anyway, I'm kind of a ship killer. Here's my tally (and the years on which I've sailed them):

1986: Sitmar (scrapped 2013)

2004: Norwegian Sea (transferred to Star Cruises in 2005 and renamed SuperStar Libra)

2006: Norwegian Sun (still in fleet)

2009: Norwegian Sky (still in fleet)

2018: Carnival Inspiration (scrapping completed in Jan 2022)

2019: Carnival Imagination (awaiting scrapping in 2022)

So that's a 50% scrapped rate over the 36 years I've cruised (albeit, at a rate of 1 cruise every 6 years). If you just look at my cruises since the turn of the millennium, 40% scrapped rate.

Norwegian Sea still exists, albeit no longer in NCL, so if we count transferring it to other cruise lines, then only 2 ships on which I've sailed are still in the fleet on which I sailed it, meaning 66% transfer or scrap rate.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DukeASUGirl said:

In a weird everything-comes-full-circle twist...

My very first cruise was to Alaska in 1986 (I was 9 at the time) on Sitmar's Fairsky. Two years later, Sitmar was merged into Princess, and she became the Sky Princess. In 2000, she was transferred to P&O and became Pacific Sky. Then in 2006, she became the Sky Wonder on Pullmantur Cruises, which was bought by Royal Caribbean.  In 2009, she was renamed Atlantic Star (still operating under Pullmantur). 

In 2013, Atlantic Star (which began life as Fairsky) was handed over to a shipyard in France as partial payment for building Harmony of the Seas, and then later scrapped that year.

Our very next cruise we're going on in October is on Harmony. 🙂

Anyway, I'm kind of a ship killer. Here's my tally (and the years on which I've sailed them):

1986: Sitmar (scrapped 2013)

2004: Norwegian Sea (transferred to Star Cruises in 2005 and renamed SuperStar Libra)

2006: Norwegian Sun (still in fleet)

2009: Norwegian Sky (still in fleet)

2018: Carnival Inspiration (scrapping completed in Jan 2022)

2019: Carnival Imagination (awaiting scrapping in 2022)

So that's a 50% scrapped rate over the 36 years I've cruised (albeit, at a rate of 1 cruise every 6 years). If you just look at my cruises since the turn of the millennium, 40% scrapped rate.

Norwegian Sea still exists, albeit no longer in NCL, so if we count transferring it to other cruise lines, then only 2 ships on which I've sailed are still in the fleet on which I sailed it, meaning 66% transfer or scrap rate.

Norwegian Sea was originally called NCL Seaward we sailed her when it was brand new it’s 4th cruise.

• Like 1