Ignore Walk Off Announcements At End Of Cruise

1 hour ago, creativegenius said:

Every other cruise we've done self-debarkation it was a smooth process and we've sailed 7 different cruise lines. This was our first time on Carnival and the first time experiencing this process. The priority guests were never called, I assume they were all directed to a specific gathering spot and were notified in that spot to go. No public announcement was made for the priority guests and I'm assuming that is by design. The first public announcement was for the first Muster Station and Luggage Zones. By the time we walked off, an hour after debarkation started, they had called three Muster Stations and 10 Luggage Zones. It was a very orderly process when we got down there so we were not causing any sort of an issue.

As for a CD stopping lines, the ship was so understaffed there was nobody down there to stop anyone. Security was just scanning everyone's cards as we left. 

The CD runs debark.  They (or their assistant) should be in the priority meeting area.  It takes two seconds to halt the general exodus and let the line of supposedly priority guests enter the exiting train.  Without some type of crew action indicating that the priority line  actually has priority, it is not unusual that those who already ignored instruction will down right block those exiting the meeting area,  No public announcement is ever made for priority guests.  Letters are placed in cabins with instructions.  

• Like 1

I DO think the CD makes a big difference here.  The more organized they are, the better the process goes. On Sunrise in early February, it was fabulous (and we got to hear it 3 times on the B2B2B).  Miracle in early March was a cluster because no announcements were really made in a timely manner.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 4:26 PM, we b cruzin said:

I thought the idea was to wait until they have to force ably remove me from the ship!!!😜

I once lingered so long that I got called by name and cabin # to disembark “immediately” (along with about a dozen others).  I think I was one of the last non back to back passengers to disembark.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I honestly don't get the allure of needing to be off the ship asap and fighting with hordes of people. I get the early flights, but still people overdo it. I don't book early flights home because too much can get in the way of that. I believe some people just don't know how to live stress-free. The last day for us is usually getting off as late as possible. One last breakfast, enjoying our last few moments there, and reminding ourselves of the fun times we just had. 

we have done self disembark on every cruise except one. Our self disembark experiences were all similar. Had a quick breakfast, joined the line when it was time, and then walked straight through customs; so quick and easy. A great way to end the cruise.

our traditional disembark experience was the opposite. Had a leisurely breakfast in the MDR. Then went to our assigned are and waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, an hour after our group was supposed to disembark we were called. Then had to dig through all the bags to find ours, then wait in line at customs.

no thanks. Early self disembark is the stress free end of the cruise.

Trust, but verify...

On more than one occasion we've been left in a (limbo) holding area for "priority" debark. A couple of times in a designated area for Diamond guests and, more recently, on the Mardi Gras when we were in the Presidential Suite. 

This happens when one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. It's frustrating, when you're following the instructions you were given and then you are forgotten. One needs to assume that it could happen each time and be ready to question, (find someone else) and question again. You risk appearing "high maintenance", but in the end you're the only one with your best interests in mind...

Debarkation morning is often a hectic time.

Tom

• Like 3

18 hours ago, creativegenius said:

It's not the 'allure of needing to be off first.' It's the convenience that we live within driving distance, so we opt to walk off with our luggage for the convenience of getting off the ship before the masses need to go down for their luggage. We're kicked out of our rooms at 8:00am anyway so might as well get off the ship and on our way back home. 

Maybe it's me. I've seen no convenience in waking up as early as possible and looking at every opportunity to get off whenever I can. We go at our own pace, when we are ready, when we are done eating. I can't remember ever fighting crowds.

19 hours ago, creativegenius said:

If you are Self Debarking, that is you have ALL of your luggage and the cruise line does NOT have to assist you in any way with your luggage, you should walk off as soon as the gangway is cleared and ready for guests. The Mardi Gras had two gangways so one would be the Priority Guests to walk off at the start of debarkation and the other can be for the Self Debarkation guests. 

Since the cruise line is out of the equation and has no responsibilities when it comes to the luggage, there is no reason NOT for Self Debarkation to leave the ship first. Typically it takes 15-30 minutes for the Self Debark guests to leave the ship depending on how many people that is. If that starts at 7:15 am, the first Luggage Zone would be called about 20 minutes later the rest proceeds from there. 

There are additional factors in the process.  An example is priorities.  As an example (not the only one) as a Diamond member, we get off first for both categories (as it should be).  The two plans are no mutually exclusive to the process (ie you can have self debark and regular debar coincide (which gets people off faster).  They stage the priorities (both self assist and regular in areas which complement the process.  We do both, depending on our luggage situation, flight schedule and who we are traveling with.  I cannot think of a time where BOTH were exiting at the same time (which makes total sense), one group is heading to customs directly and the other is heading to baggage claim.  Your rationale of how you “think” it should work is just not true (thankfully). 

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Trust, but verify...

On more than one occasion we've been left in a (limbo) holding area for "priority" debark. A couple of times in a designated area for Diamond guests and, more recently, on the Mardi Gras when we were in the Presidential Suite. 

This happens when one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. It's frustrating, when you're following the instructions you were given and then you are forgotten. One needs to assume that it could happen each time and be ready to question, (find someone else) and question again. You risk appearing "high maintenance", but in the end you're the only one with your best interests in mind...

Debarkation morning is often a hectic time.

Tom

I always heard you were a limbo kind of guy….  😜  While I cannot say your experience has happened do us, we have gone to the Diamond meeting place and sit down to wait, only to ahve someone come up and say they released the area 15 minutes prior…..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jsglow said:

I DO think the CD makes a big difference here.  The more organized they are, the better the process goes. On Sunrise in early February, it was fabulous (and we got to hear it 3 times on the B2B2B).  Miracle in early March was a cluster because no announcements were really made in a timely manner.

I agree that the CD can add to the process with being super organized.

20 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I love Carnival, but they are definitely the worst line at getting people on and off the ship. 

We've had most of our negative experiences with Carnival, however - that's likely owing to the large number of sailings we've had with them so, statistically, that's a given.

Our two March sailings on the Liberty went super smooth. I was able to work until noon on Friday, and made it to the port at ~1:30, definitely on after the bulk of the crowd. On Monday morning our (self-assist) meeting time was at 6:45 am, and they were Johnny-on-the-spot getting us off. We were on the road by about 7 am. I could have been back to work by 8 am, but am scheduled in at 9, just in case.

I'm torn as to if I prefer the 3-nt weekend cruises to be Thur-Sun (like they used to be) or the newer Friday-Monday. At least this way I miss less work - but no matter what, it's difficult to be 100% (mentally at least) in work mode right after getting off a ship!

Tom

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There are additional factors in the process.  An example is priorities.  As an example (not the only one) as a Diamond member, we get off first for both categories (as it should be).  The two plans are no mutually exclusive to the process (ie you can have self debark and regular debar coincide (which gets people off faster).  They stage the priorities (both self assist and regular in areas which complement the process.  We do both, depending on our luggage situation, flight schedule and who we are traveling with.  I cannot think of a time where BOTH were exiting at the same time (which makes total sense), one group is heading to customs directly and the other is heading to baggage claim.  Your rationale of how you “think” it should work is just not true (thankfully). 

With the newer immigration face recognition process, doesn't everyone hit that first? I would think checked luggage people would breeze through that, and those struggling with their self-debark hands full might slow things down.

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

With the newer immigration face recognition process, doesn't everyone hit that first? I would think checked luggage people would breeze through that, and those struggling with their self-debark hands full might slow things down.

I honestly do not remember.  

11 hours ago, asalligo said:

I love Carnival, but they are definitely the worst line at getting people on and off the ship. 

I have to admit that I was disappointed with the new terminal for the MG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Maybe we're just more organized in Texas or Florida, but I don't see 95% of most self-debark people "struggling with their hands full"...  Where the backups occurred for us was after the cameras, and we had to weave around the checked bag people with deer-in-the-headlights looks trying to find their number on the wall/floor/sign and wondering why the bags weren't out yet...

Speaking for us, we each have our roller bags and a backpack, maybe one or two duffles on top of the roller bag, and the only time we had to stop was to pull our masks down for the cameras...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Maybe we're just more organized in Texas or Florida, but I don't see 95% of most self-debark people "struggling with their hands full"...  Where the backups occurred for us was after the cameras, and we had to weave around the checked bag people with deer-in-the-headlights looks trying to find their number on the wall/floor/sign and wondering why the bags weren't out yet...

Speaking for us, we each have our roller bags and a backpack, maybe one or two duffles on top of the roller bag, and the only time we had to stop was to pull our masks down for the cameras...

My last cruise was out of Florida and it was gridlock with the self assist passengers, many with 2 or even more roller bags. It was hysterical watching them trip over themselves trying to be next off of the ship 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

My last cruise was out of Florida and it was gridlock with the self assist passengers, many with 2 or even more roller bags. It was hysterical watching them trip over themselves trying to be next off of the ship 

You have a weird sense of humor. And every disembarkation we have had has been a cluster you know what.😒

I've had "fun" with the ramp going down to the baggage area in terminal 3 at Port Canaveral. I have a large/heavy (75+lbs) rolling suitcase and honestly trying to keep that bag from getting away from me is like walking a very large poorly trained dog. But, it's worth it not to have to play "the hunt" early in the morning, while in the back of your mind thinking "what if it's not there", and "where's a free porter". 🙂

I have not yet perfected the carry-off approach with longer (7+) sailings, not with our packing list...

Tom

• Like 1

So I've never sailed with Carnival, but have been corralled in a theater for hours waiting to self-disembark, then herded through lengthy queues.  Getting up at the crack of dawn to be herded into an air-conditioned holding tank is not my thing.  Can we go to the pool area in departure day?  The bar?  I'm happy to wait, just not in a big empty room without even a window.  Does our drink package cover morning mimosas?  What are our options while waiting - ones with sunshine and liquor please?

On 4/5/2022 at 9:40 AM, KansasEMT said:

So I've never sailed with Carnival, but have been corralled in a theater for hours waiting to self-disembark, then herded through lengthy queues.  Getting up at the crack of dawn to be herded into an air-conditioned holding tank is not my thing.  Can we go to the pool area in departure day?  The bar?  I'm happy to wait, just not in a big empty room without even a window.  Does our drink package cover morning mimosas?  What are our options while waiting - ones with sunshine and liquor please?

Other than a few select areas, you can go wherever you want.

I got to say getting off the Freedom a few weeks ago in Miami was the easiest we've ever had. We could of left with the platinum group but our son is gold so we just grabbed zone 6 luggage tags and went together. When the zone was called we never stopped except to grab our luggage (which was easy to find) and then to wait for an Uber. The facial recognition works pretty good.