Ignore Walk Off Announcements At End Of Cruise

Just finished a 7 night cruise on Mardi Gras, our 15th cruise overall. We usually do the Self Disembarkation / Wall Off with all of our luggage so we can get off the ship quickly and avoid the 'luggage corral.' For the first time, we were notified that Carnival was going to follow a different protocol for guests who planned to walk off the ship with all of their luggage. Typically, we are the first group to leave the ship as soon as the gangway is ready, as early at 7:15 am in Florida.

Mardi Gras did an 'announced walk-off' calling us by Muster Station assignments, while at the same time calling off Checked Baggage zones. One hour into the process and they still had not called our Muster Station. They had called three other Muster Stations and 10 Checked Baggage Zones, but not our Muster Station. At that point, I checked in with a Facebook group and they said, "IGNORE THE PROTOCOL, JUST WALK OFF!" 

So we did. Security didn't care, they just checked us out. So, if you are going to walk off with the luggage, and Carnival says they're going to do this 'announced walk off' protocol, ignore it. Walk off when they make the first announcement to leave the ship. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, creativegenius said:

Just finished a 7 night cruise on Mardi Gras, our 15th cruise overall. We usually do the Self Disembarkation / Wall Off with all of our luggage so we can get off the ship quickly and avoid the 'luggage corral.' For the first time, we were notified that Carnival was going to follow a different protocol for guests who planned to walk off the ship with all of their luggage. Typically, we are the first group to leave the ship as soon as the gangway is ready, as early at 7:15 am in Florida.

Mardi Gras did an 'announced walk-off' calling us by Muster Station assignments, while at the same time calling off Checked Baggage zones. One hour into the process and they still had not called our Muster Station. They had called three other Muster Stations and 10 Checked Baggage Zones, but not our Muster Station. At that point, I checked in with a Facebook group and they said, "IGNORE THE PROTOCOL, JUST WALK OFF!" 

So we did. Security didn't care, they just checked us out. So, if you are going to walk off with the luggage, and Carnival says they're going to do this 'announced walk off' protocol, ignore it. Walk off when they make the first announcement to leave the ship. 🙂 

Wow, just tell everyone to ignore the rules....thanks for helping anything organized...not saying you didn't have a reason, but it sounds like your sending the wrong message....

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Two cruises this year, one in early 2020 and one late 2019. All were done this way except one and that one called walk-offs by deck—not in order. It is much more efficient for them to mix in walk-offs with luggage tags as it keeps things rolling. Now if only people listened. They know how many people they can add to a line and how many people comprise each deck or muster station. 

For the record, yes we do listen to them and follow the rules. They did have a separate option for those who could prove an early flight from Panorama. Even then, people were lined up in the order they entered the waiting area.

• Thanks 1

We sail the smaller ships - Dream class or smaller - and every chaotic disembarkation we have experienced has been due to CDs rather than anyone not following the rules. By far the most problems we have encountered are CDs that have checked luggage folks meet somewhere, even going so far as to have folks with different luggage zone numbers sit in separate areas, then say "all zones are clear to disembark." That creates a stampede.

The times they have actually said "zone one can now disembark" then waited for those folks to clear out before calling the next zone have been nice and smooth.

I think most folks understand the advantage of not just having everyone rush the gangplank in survival of the fittest mode and follow the rules. In our experience people are not the problem, the CDs are the problem. I think it likely the OP was victim of a CD that wasn't paying attention and skipped announcing his zone. The only crew on any ship that I have had negative thoughts about have been CDs. They don't like the process management parts of their jobs and it shows. Carnival really shouldn't give disembarkation to creative types. They need a dull as dirt process oriented people doing that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, icft said:

We sail the smaller ships - Dream class or smaller - and every chaotic disembarkation we have experienced has been due to CDs rather than anyone not following the rules. By far the most problems we have encountered are CDs that have checked luggage folks meet somewhere, even going so far as to have folks with different luggage zone numbers sit in separate areas, then say "all zones are clear to disembark." That creates a stampede.

The times they have actually said "zone one can now disembark" then waited for those folks to clear out before calling the next zone have been nice and smooth.

I think most folks understand the advantage of not just having everyone rush the gangplank in survival of the fittest mode and follow the rules. In our experience people are not the problem, the CDs are the problem. I think it likely the OP was victim of a CD that wasn't paying attention and skipped announcing his zone. The only crew on any ship that I have had negative thoughts about have been CDs. They don't like the process management parts of their jobs and it shows. Carnival really shouldn't give disembarkation to creative types. They need a dull as dirt process oriented people doing that.

One CD, Jen, just said "Everyone" .  It was chaos

Part of the problem is the expectation that Carnival creates by selling self assist debark as a time-saving, first-off-the ship option to get people to handle their own luggage so Carnival can pay fewer baggage handlers.

From Carnival's website: "Express Debark: In order to be cleared off the ship shortly after arrival in the homeport, guests have the option of participating in our Express Debark Program if they elect to carry off their own luggage. ... Express Debark is a great option for anyone with an early flight back home."

People have right to be frustrated when they elected to carry their own bags off so they could debark earlier, only to find out that people with checked luggage still get called to debark before they do.

• Like 8

Unless I have an early flight to catch, I wait until the end.  I find a comfortable spot to relax, stick my nose in my Kindle, and enjoy a soda or juice.  I always request the last disembarkation time slot.  7:30 a.m.?  No, thanks!! 

How late can I go for MDR breakfast?

31 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Part of the problem is the expectation that Carnival creates by selling self assist debark as a time-saving, first-off-the ship option to get people to handle their own luggage so Carnival can pay fewer baggage handlers.

From Carnival's website: "Express Debark: In order to be cleared off the ship shortly after arrival in the homeport, guests have the option of participating in our Express Debark Program if they elect to carry off their own luggage. ... Express Debark is a great option for anyone with an early flight back home."

People have right to be frustrated when they elected to carry their own bags off so they could debark earlier, only to find out that people with checked luggage still get called to debark before they do.

And this is especially true if you have an early flight.

How does calling by deck or muster station take into account some passengers have early flights to catch?

• Like 1

Kind of ironic, most one of can't wait to get on board...but when its over,  we' e had some people roll over us as were disembarking....we just moved aside in disbelief and ranked it up as only the very small percentage....we find most cruise folks are true and follow the rules...

• Like 1

We always choose later luggage tag section numbers because we want one more breakfast on ship before disembarking.   We use a parking service so we know there will be a wait for the shuttle, but with driving home we are rarely in a huge hurry.  What is a problem is that we usually can't hear the tag numbers being called inside the MDR.  So, luckily for us, we don't see the huge stampede to get off the ship because I want one more bowl of their homemade granola before I leave.   LOL!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Reminds me of people who know there is a lane closed up ahead, but speed up, pass as many people as possible, then force their way into the open lane. It doesn't make them smart, it makes them jerks, and slows everyone else down. But, of course, they only think of themselves.

It’s called zipper merge. Get with the times. You are not supposed to form a single line until immediately before the merge. So if you are one of those, stop complaining about those who do it properly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, icft said:

Just saying.....at 130,000 Gross Tonnes, the Dream class hardly falls under the category of "smaller" ships.

Edited by jerseyjjs

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

It’s called zipper merge. Get with the times. You are not supposed to form a single line until immediately before the merge. So if you are one of those, stop complaining about those who do it properly.

I love it when trucks block all the einsteins who try to do an end run. Zipper merges assume traffic is moving and not stopped. Zipper merges also do not assume people go faster than the posted speed limit to merge and jam on the brakes. Nice try 

• Like 9

I experienced a similar cluster **** on the Spirit last month that seems to have been caused by those who decided the rules did not apply and to just exit when they want.  It was the worst debarking process I have been involved in.  They actually stopped debarking for about 45 minutes and we just stood in line.  The CD said the terminal was full of people who exited before their tag was called.  That led to the terminal being full of people just standing there because their luggage was not out.  The people whose luggage were ready were stuck on the ship.

13 hours ago, creativegenius said:

Man oh man did you open a can of worms

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

Unless my best option for flights home dictate that I need to be off the ship asap I just chill on the lido with plenty to eat and drink while the ship empties out. When the crowd is gone I walk off.

Plus, it's easier to get a cab or Uber because by then, the next cruise's passengers are starting to get dropped off. 

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I love it when trucks block all the einsteins who try to do an end run. Zipper merges assume traffic is moving and not stopped. Zipper merges also do not assume people go faster than the posted speed limit to merge and jam on the brakes. Nice try 

MmmK. I see the problem. People refuse to be educated. Zipper merges assume nothing about the speed of traffic. Traffic stops because people aren’t educated on proper driving and DON’T zipper.

But, now back to the topic—except for your expected last word.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1