The Daily for Sunday 04/10/2022

richwmn

Today is Golfer’s Day, National Farm Animals Day, and National Siblings Day

So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.--Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Meal Suggestion for today - cromlet with wilted greens and fennel and olive sa
Drink of the Day - Bourbon Sour
Wine of the Day - Penfolds 2017 St. Henri Shiraz (South Australia) S
Destination of the Day - Olbia, Sardinia, Italy

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Nieuw Statendam   Destination Roseau DM eta 4/12

Cartagena Colombia

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 13:00

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Eurodam   07:00 - 16:00
Rotterdam   07:00 - 16:00

Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera

Zuiderdam   17:00

Vancouver, BC Canada

Koningsdam   07:00 - 16:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Zaandam   Destination Port Everglades eta 4/14

Freeport, BS

Noordam   Shipyard

Los Angeles, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0410World.thumb.png.85c91dcd994d4c797d7e844cdccc9e9b.png
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 19

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's zero degrees here and we had a bit of snow overnight, it'll melt by this afternoon.

Interesting days.  I don't golf.  The farmers I know who keep animals, look after them very well.  I have 2 brothers, maybe I'll phone them this afternoon.

I haven't read the book quoted, but it's an interesting quote.

Not sure about the meal suggestion, I'll wait until I see the recipe and pictures.

I'm sure the drink and wine will be good.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 29

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  It will be a cool day here for golfers.  Farm animals are very important creatures and deserve their own day.  Siblings are as well. The quote makes me think that it’s good to engage with others so you don’t end up like the wallflower.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion but I will try the bourbon sour.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers to all on our list today and to those in the Ukraine.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 30

Good afternoon.

It is sunny and 46°F today on the North East coast of England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and the opportunity to participate every day with a new daily.

Some siblings are incredibly close while other brother's and sister's drift apart.

As today is the last day of the Masters the first Major of the year it is a great time to have a golf day.

Farm animals are important for all of us.

Today's quote is very true as we can be very happy but also very sad when remembering Loved one's who are no longer with us.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Olbia is lovely port on the Island of Sardinia that we have visited on cruises.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on our care list.

I hope everyone is having a nice day and looking forward to Easter.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220410_115352.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

In my life, just about everyday is Golfers Day,  living on a Golf Course helps. 

Pulling for Scottie Scheffler today, he is having quite a year, if he wins the Masters it will be his 4th victory in 2022..

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you  for today’s Daily, Rich. Two days ago it was 70 here, today it is 45!  Momma deer & the twins have joined me this morning outside my breakfast nook windows. The twins are in the “zoom” around stage. 

Yesterday’s fundraiser was so much fun. A bit challenging with the wind, but the sun was warm, the music was good and the food and drink were delicious. It was a real community event. And fascinating to watch the wind gusts’ effect on the ocean waves & currents.  I did come home with a new hairdo, though. 

Off to the gym for an early workout. Then normal Sunday routine - I think. 

A few Sunday smiles….

A163C564-AA4A-41C5-BC0E-71C15C43D4F9.jpeg.375899ee8cea672189b2400cb2c08f8d.jpeg

2111B9BC-467E-4188-A44F-92E8F89015C4.jpeg.9f3aadf8d9945ed29b363989a0607481.jpeg

And for the garden club…

80120413-96EE-459A-8D6B-FDA7066EEEAE.jpeg.d7f90190e0399fd7fbe67903a9c17fd0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Penfolds 2017 St. Henri Shiraz
This excellent wine is a bit pricey, and not widely distributed here. Some colorful reviews! I would love a taste, but not the price. A few online distributors with prices starting at $119.99.

Average rating from 8 critics: 94

Winemaker’s Notes 

St Henri is a time-honoured and alternative expression of Shiraz, and an intriguing counterpoint to Grange. It is unusual among high quality Australian red wines as it does not rely on any new oak. Released for the first time by Penfolds in the early 1950s (first commercial vintage 1957), it gained a new lease of life in the 1990s as its quality and distinctive style became better understood. Proudly, a wine style that hasn’t succumbed to the dictates of fashion or commerce. St Henri is rich and plush when young, gaining soft, earthy, mocha-like characters as it ages. It is matured in old, 1,460 litre vats that allow the wine to develop, imparting minimal, if any oak character. Although a small proportion of Cabernet is sometimes used to improve structure, the focal point for St Henri remains Shiraz. 
Reviews

It’s a jubey, floral, perfumed wine. You could call it pretty. It’s up and about, lively, fresh, sweet fruited in a boysenberry-plum jam-and-blueberry way. Drinking it is like letting the sun burst in through a window, its rays striking at the fruit bowl. If you can imagine Maggie Beer as a 21-year-old then you can imagine the joyous, bubbly, great-to-be-around character of this wine. St Henri used to come in a plain bottle and I always liked that; at some point they started stuffing it into heavy dark glass; it used to be fashionably unfashionable, plain and adorable; now it plods like the rest of ’em. Fortunately the wine doesn’t seem to mind. You twist the top and it beams straight at you, its eyes brimming with sweet spice. You know, I don’t think this wine has yet been told that it belongs to a publicly listed company. It feels free of care. Its future is bright because of course it is. I haven’t yet swallowed a mouthful but it’s been terribly hard not to. It’s not a great wine or necessarily a great release but it’s beautiful and I don’t know what more can you ask. Tasted: July 2020; Alcohol: 14.5%; Drink: 2021-2034+; Rated: 94 Points; Campbell Mattinson; The Wine Front

Deep crimson. Intense blackberry, mulberry roasted walnut aromas with herb garden, star anise notes. Inky textured wine with pure blackberry, mulberry fruits fine supple/ velvety tannins, lovely mid-palate generosity and underlying roasted walnut notes. Finishes brambly firm with plentiful espresso dark berry fruits. Very seductive and beautifully balanced St Henri with classic buoyant fruits and animated tannin ripeness. Lovely drinking now but keep for a while.Drink  2024 – 2034 14.5% 95 points.

A lovely traditional multi-sourced Australian maturation style that offers the complete Penfolds story and intrigue in a bottle! This should develop very well with further bottle age. Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale, Eden Valley, Port Lincoln. Aged for 12 months in very old (50 years+) oak vats. Rating: 95 Points; Andrew Caillard MW

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 11

Good morning everyone from a cool SoFlo, it's 58F at the moment, very cool for us in April. A nice sunrise though

Enjoying coffee and newspaper before visiting DH this morning.

IMG_20220410_070211998.jpg

Edited by Sea Viewer
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Palm Sunday daily, Rich.  Farm animals are SO important to our lives.  My parents both grew up on farms and several of my cousin's children are active farmers.  I'll salute golfers, especially Tiger making the cut.  I have tried my hand at golfing but gave it up long ago.  My problem was standing too close to the ball, especially AFTER I hit it  Sadly, my only sibling died 14 months ago.  I love the quote and will wait to see what @dfish has to say.  My alternative is  Fruit Salad with Sambuca, Prime Rib of Beef Au Jus, and Blackberry Sundae as served on MS Zaandam April 10, 2017:dishes10.jpg

I have not been to Sardinia.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Sea Viewer DH in hospital post heart attack
Jam37 DH not feeling well and reluctant to follow directions
Buddy still having trouble despite slow improvement
Mamaofami still finding after effects of old care givers
From the rotation:
Mr Boston’s sister with shingles
msmayir’s daughter struggling with motherhood
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Palm Sunday
Rotterdam

rdpalm.thumb.JPG.a188c671db4873dbb8fd201af847f578.JPG

and Eurodam in Everglades

edpalm.thumb.JPG.1d4acd4c777af4a2f3ce7c9bef12d9be.JPG

Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Return of cruising to Canada
msmayor, her daughter, and her great bosses
ottahand7 DB almost ready for rehab discharge
7 days for sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam 4/17 to 5/8)
1 day for Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay)
Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10),  Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10), GTVCRUISER and Tioga Cruiser (Zuiderdam t/o 4/13), Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS  to 4/15) and Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam  to 4/17)  at sea
Welcome home Live4cruises, AV8rix, and Carzy for Cats
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 16

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Palm Sunday daily, Rich.  Farm animals are SO important to our lives.  My parents both grew up on farms and several of my cousin's children are active farmers.  I'll salute golfers, especially Tiger making the cut.  I have tried my hand at golfing but gave it up long ago.  My problem was standing too close to the ball, especially AFTER I hit it  Sadly, my only sibling died 14 months ago.  I love the quote and will wait to see what @dfish has to say.  My alternative is  Fruit Salad with Sambuca, Prime Rib of Beef Au Jus, and Blackberry Sundae as served on MS Zaandam April 10, 2017:dishes10.jpg

I have not been to Sardinia.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Sea Viewer DH in hospital post heart attack
Jam37 DH not feeling well and reluctant to follow directions
Buddy still having trouble despite slow improvement
Mamaofami still finding after effects of old care givers
From the rotation:
Mr Boston’s sister with shingles
msmayir’s daughter struggling with motherhood
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Palm Sunday
Rotterdam

rdpalm.thumb.JPG.a188c671db4873dbb8fd201af847f578.JPG

and Eurodam in Everglades

edpalm.thumb.JPG.1d4acd4c777af4a2f3ce7c9bef12d9be.JPG

Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Return of cruising to Canada
msmayor, her daughter, and her great bosses
ottahand7 DB almost ready for rehab discharge
7 days for sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam 4/17 to 5/8)
1 day for Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay)
Live4cruises and AV8rix (Koningsdam to 4/10),  Crazy for Cats (Eurodam  to 4/10), GTVCRUISER and Tioga Cruiser (Zuiderdam t/o 4/13), Oceansaway17 (Wonder OTS  to 4/15) and Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam  to 4/17)  at sea
Welcome home Live4cruises, AV8rix, and Carzy for Cats
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for keeping all the list's updated Roy.

Graham.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Palm Sunday Daily Rich.

For those that celebrate Palm Sunday:

FA8FB112-9E4C-4114-8EF1-90CE5CB1AC5E.jpeg.c5d13d7c00bbea3c6b4ec2c97abf44b1.jpeg

I only golfed for charity events.  Far prefer gardening to golfing 😉 Love the celebrating of farm animals & siblings.  Back in the day, my uncle had many animals of all sorts and they were all treated well.  I am forever grateful for my sisters who have been helpful from so far away.

I resemble today’s quote at times and totally understand it.  I’ll definitely have to wait for Debbie’s description of the meal before I pass judgement 😉. We’ve been to Sardinia but not today’s port.

6FB9C864-E0D0-4991-B8CA-1CFB187058DF.thumb.jpeg.1da17f928111fe34e2462b9516358539.jpeg

Raining here - just hope it lets up for the drive in.  At least on the weekend, the hospital parking lot is much emptier and it’s easier to find a spot close to the stairs for the walk to the entrance. 

6965B913-B7AB-45E4-BFB5-C01F983601AF.thumb.jpeg.d906cf19ca4fc4b386c3e9d5ce0cb5ea.jpeg

Well this is a first for me - posted on my roll call this morning and my post has to be reviewed by a moderator.  WTH?  Would love to know what the word was that I used that caused that.  Sheesh.

I did nip into Costco right at opening time yesterday and I did get some good help and got a new Iphone (I won’t tell you how many versions of my old phone  have come out since I’ve had it ).  I’ve struggled with my Samsung smart phone for years and barely used it.  Using an Ipad, I can figure out the Iphone and figure I will be using it now 😉.  All the staff were masked and the store was not too busy right at opening time and I was well distanced.  And, I only arrived at the hospital 10 minutes later than my normal time 👏 

DB17FE40-52E7-4CDE-BEE3-E9BAE106747B.thumb.jpeg.29327b69f98a357c93dd9be71fdf130e.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!

9D791397-B9C4-4B25-BFAF-E4B44BF386BC.jpeg.aeb9e323bf18df5a1c1f4425ed675f77.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 14

Good afternoon from a chilly and cloudy Barcelona.

Thank you for the variety of days for today.  One that was omitted is that today is also Palm Sunday.

We went to Mass at the local church where the Mass was said in Catalan.  Both DH and I understood little or nothing but could follow along anyway.

As for the other days,  we we don’t play golf, so that’s out.

While we are not farmers, we do respect those farmers who raise animals that provide us with the necessary food and nutrients for our subsistence.

As for national siblings day, well that’s a hard one for me.  I have three half siblings.  We have the same father.  I never see them or hear from them.  I must admit that I don’t make much of an effort either.  I don’t even know where one of them lives.  I did not know them growing up and only met them after I was an adult. It was and still is an awkward situation.

I was raised as an only child and I would like to push for an “only child day.”  Why should we be left out?

i like the quote.  I will skip the meal and the wine (a bit above my budget) and have not been to the port.

I pray for all on Roy’s list and cheer for those who are celebrating.

Today we have tickets for Parc Guell.  It looks like it might rain and we are sill deciding whether to go.  It is also very chilly.  Our tickets are for 2 pm.  So we have to decide soon.  DH is frowning so I think the answer is no.  That is fine with me as I am not happy when I am cold.

i will spend some part of today repacking my bags and getting ready to board the Nautica tomorrow.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday.

God bless,

Terri

• Like 41

8 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I was raised as an only child and I would like to push for an “only child day.”  Why should we be left out?

+1

Both DH and I are only children and each of us only had one child (by previous marriages of course).

Hope your weather improves and you have a wonderful cruise beginning tomorrow.

Kay

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning and Palm Sunday.   Palm Sunday about 1963 was a tornado that hit our family's farm.  It flattened an old bank barn that had young cattle huddling in the basement.  Most survived.   Across the street a cape cod house stayed patent but was moved three feet to the east off its' foundation.   

So today is a group of days I can relate to.   My Dad's family ran a dairy and then when they closed they raised cattle on their remaining farm.   Lots of golf today and I will be going to visit my DB in rehab.   

I think I will be passing on the meal but I love Bourbon Sours.   Penfield's wines used to be relative bargains but not any longer.  I have never been to the port.   Prayers for all on Roy's care list and prayers on an important day in the Christian calendar. 

We finally have a warm day in order for later today.    We are rather stuck with gardening because it has been so cold and rainy.   I am going to help my neighbor help make some decisions about her lawn later today.   

backlit hummer.jpg

• Like 35

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

Well, Sue and DSIL finally sailed away yesterday morning. They will be missing St. Maarten so going directly to Roseau, Dominica. HAL is compensating with $75.00 OBC to all passengers. They enjoyed Canaletto last night to celebrate DSIL's birthday. Screenshot from yesterday sailing away.

1928818731_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.4f31ec3d85018db047c26f9c6429f430.png

Have a joyous Palm Sunday!

- Jack

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.  

We have a bit of a chilly start today, but it is supposed to warm up this week.  Still a lot of rain, though.  I'll be heading to the pool later.  Sundays are quiet days at the pool and I like that.  I usually skip Saturdays as every kid in a 20 mile radius is there.  Or at least the noise level would make you think so. 

Siblings Day is a good one for me.  I have three younger sisters and two younger brothers.  We have remained fairly close over the years. You can see what a happy bunch we were.

siblings.jpg.c79e229de7a2b738e59a40dc7f5bee80.jpg

Today's meal is interesting.  I think, from what I am seeing, that the cromlet part is a type of pancake made from chickpea flour.  I think I'd be willing to give this one a try.   Interesting flavors with the fennel and olives.   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cromlet-with-wilted-greens-and-fennel-and-olive-salad

1877622695_cromlet1.jpg.3d44b68f2087c6eda7163e1caf5b24f8.jpg

This next version suggests making double the wilted greens and fennel salad and putting on a lentil pasta the next day.  I guess you could go straight to that step if you didn't want to mess with making the cromlet.  http://withthegrains.com/2017/04/05/socca-chickpea-flour-savory-pancake-aka-cromlet-fennel-olive-salad-yogurt-sauce/

1303762102_cromlet3.jpg.ce13286f4539acd87e02b8f5ea840df8.jpg

This one uses a lemon coconut yogurt as a dressing.  It also adds radishes to the mix instead of the mushrooms.  I think you could have both if you wanted.  It shows that the dish can be versatile and tweaked to your tastes and ingredients on hand.   http://www.thefeministe.com/home/2017/10/17/cromlet-with-lemon-yogurt-sauteed-greens-and-fennel-slaw

637959289_cromlet2.thumb.jpg.c2c6bd6cb72aae57876dc555b5d9e4ab.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially the people of Ukraine and our Daily family members facing struggles.   Cheers to all who are celebrating, no matter how big or small the celebration is.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning Dailyites!  As I have adopted you, and you adopted me, HAPPY SIBLINGS DAY!  It's so nice to be a part of a family!

My grandfather was the farm manager for the Upway Farms in South Woodstock VT.  They raised Morgan horses.  So my father grew up on a farm, and my grandmother ran the garden area.  They had retired from farming by the time I came around, but the old farm became the Green Mountain Riding Association.  And every time we went up to VT, it was the first place that my Dad and I had to stop. I loved the smells of the stables, the horses, the hay, the leather of saddles.  But I am allergic to horses (and most other animals) so after an hour of petting, and patting, we would head into Woodstock and stay with my grandparents.

The Morgan horse is one of the earliest horse breeds developed in the United States. Tracing back to the foundation sire Figure, later named Justin Morgan after his best-known owner, Morgans served many roles in 19th-century American history, being used as coach horses and for harness racing, as general riding animals, and as cavalry horses during the American Civil War on both sides 

h26D0294F

grow-where-you-are-planted-kerri-farley.jpg

The new meds for DH might be working, but they sure make him sleep a lot.  Which in turn give me time to read the daily in the morning without interruption.  

@StLouisCruisers  I loved your sunrise picture from yesterday.  I was up early but there was no sun in Stone Mountain.  Our friend said when she got out to walk her dog yesterday, it actually sleeted on them.  What a strange spring the south is getting.

@grapau27 Thank you for my Sunday Sermon with Father David.  He had me laughing with the rock concert.

I hope you all have a wonderful day, I'm going to watch the F1 race as soon as DH wakes up.  Unfortunately while searching for the Morgan horse info, I saw who won the race.  Now I have to keep silent for several hours.  After the race, we are off to grocery shop for the week.    And now, I'm off to be the prep chef so that DH can make omelets this morning.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just a quick good morning as my priority this morning is Him and Palm Sunday. It’s a beautiful Blue sky day with a forecast of reaching 73 degrees.

Later today my watching the Masters marathon will continue and my sore back has been responding to the rest.

Thank Rich, Roy and all who contribute. Have a great day.

• Like 31

Good morning.  I used to drive the guidance dept crazy when I was in school.  I would tell them I'm an only child, but I have 4 half siblings and 3 steps.  LOL  Just spent a week with my younger sister.  That sister lives on a farm.  I haven't played golf in years, bad hands.  I will have to think about the quote.  Will pass on the meal and YIKES on the price of the wine.

@kazuinteresting about the post in  your roll call.

Prayers and toast to our lists.

Please continue to use caution and wear your mask.  Things are heating up again.

Bourbon Sour:

Ingredients
2 parts Jim Beam® Original
1 part Lemon Juice
1/2 part Lemon-Lime Soda
1/5 teaspoon Sugar
Garnish with Lemon Wheel
Garnish with Maraschino Cherries

Instructions
Mix Jim Beam with lemon juice, sugar, and ice in shaker. Shake vigorously and strain into whiskey sour glass. Garnish with lemon and a cherry.

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 8.40.31 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8