Oceanview Cafe back to self serve?

lv2cruisgrl

If they changed it for RCL looks like it will very soon happen to X if not already the case. I think it's a bad decision not only because of COVID but also before regarding other viruses that can spread, such as Noro. Also given that X is to be ocnsidered more premium than RCL it would be worth while the consideration that they would abolish completely the self serve concept.

• Like 7

Just got off Apex yesterday and the crew is still serving.  I really liked as no one was picking up food and the putting it back.  They will always give you more if you want

• Like 8

Currently on Silhouette and crew is serving at the buffet.   You can get your own drinks and coffee.

One thing I did notice was that at the Pool Grill they have a soft serve Ice Cream machinge and it is Self Service.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I emailed the exec suite to express my preference for crew doing the serving.  I added in a couple of horror stories of what I observed before the shut down when self service was the norm.  

some of our fellow guests are really disgusting.  

got a nice call back from someone thanking me for my letter. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, peanut head said:

I hope for safety and health they continue to have staff serve.

And, IMO, the lines actually move faster. I still remember, during the self service days, standing in line for the paella. I waited over 5 minutes as a “gentleman” stood there and carefully dug thru the dish (using tongs) to pick out all the shrimp and sausage. That doesn’t happen with crew serving. 

• Like 3

On the Royal Caribbean cruise critic it seems it depends on the ship. A few on different ships have stated it was self serve. While some others said they were served by staff. Maybe it depends on how many on board have covid!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

got a nice call back from someone thanking me for my letter.

It is just that....a nice call. We got this email for our concern. "Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises.

Health protocols are very important to us as well. I want to thank you greatly for giving us this valuable information. I agree that this is a simple protocol that should be adhered to on al of our ships. I have forwarded this to our leadership team so that they can bring it to the attention of our Healthy protocols team and have it addressed aboard the Celebrity Equinox.

Mr. and Mrs.  please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with.

Sincerely,

Jessyca O
Celebrity Cruises

Staff serving at the buffet is a huge improvement for many reasons in addition to health reasons.  I am on a cruise so it is OK for the staff to put items in my plate.  More refined.  I don't worry about what previous guests did to that food selection before I got there.  Make it permanent!

• Like 2

I've sailed FOUR times since the restart and have always mentioned to keep the staff served buffet in the future as it will affect which line I sail on.

It doesn't matter.  I'd imagine the plan was to always go back to self-serve once things get closer to normal.

Like him or not, Don from Don's family vacations (who's Canadian) did a whole video on how he went to an event where X Execs were present. At the time, X and RCL were providing on board end of sailing Covid tests for foreign passengers who required a test to get home but that RCL just announced they would end that policy so you're on your own for booking a test.  It's not just about the money, many would happily pay in fact, it's about finding an appointment, booking a later flight home and taking an uber/taxi to a testing site with your luggage.  The X Execs were asked if X would also end on board testing and they stated X is it's our own company and will continue to provide on board testing; Don said the room actually cheered.  Then only weeks later X quietly ended on board testing.

I always use Purell, after getting my food in the buffet and have for years.  Now it is just automatic, regardless if I am served or serve myself.  Am I the only one who does this?  I also wash my hands before entering the OVC too, as it is just normal for me.  My very first time on a cruise ship was an eye-opener for me many years ago.  Actually, it doesn't matter to me if you do or not because I know more than a few do not.  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Correction, tell X that you'd never even consider booking a Iconic Suite if they return to self serve

As they say fine, there are others right behind you looking to book the IS... and in fact, the Butler's will serve in-suite, so going to le grand 'Buffet' is really a moot issue, do you not think?

Also, if passengers want a 'buffet experience' in the IS, the Butler will arrange it and serve accordingly... and pour the beverages of choice.... LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 1

I am not really sure how this helps with Covid, since it is apparently an airborne virus... BUT it definitely helps with Noro Virus...  The other benefit is reduced food waste and perhaps just as important... portion control. When they serve you.. you can get as much as you want..but they generally initially serve a normal portion... Last cruise I did not gain a pound.. although I did walk every morning...  

I really like the crew serving, but in Dec with the ship less than half full, the typical serving station had two people and with one usually tending the supplies there was only one...usually...doing the serving ..which was fine during non peak hours..but a full ship...peak hours... crew needed would be on top of each other...  I hope I am wrong.. because I really do like crew serving...   

25 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

As they say fine, there are others right behind you looking to book the IS... and in fact, the Butler's will serve in-suite, so going to le grand 'Buffet' is really a moot issue, do you not think?

Also, if passengers want a 'buffet experience' in the IS, the Butler will arrange it and serve accordingly... and pour the beverages of choice.... LOL

bon appetit and bon voyage

The whole post was a joke (lol).  The majority of pax aren't sailing in suites and the ones who do most likely aren't visiting the buffet very often if at all.