The Daily for Saturday 04/16/2022

richwmn

Today is World Circus Day, Mushroom Day, and National Bean Counter Day

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Meal Suggestion for today - huevos rancheros
Drink of the Day - Banana Cinnamon Mojito
Wine of the Day - Domaine Labouré-Gontard NV Brut (Crémant de Bour
Destination of the Day - Skjolden, Norway

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Honolulu, HI eta 4/17

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico

Zuiderdam   08:00 - 17:00

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas private island

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 15:00

Key West, Florida

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Puerto Madero, MX

Nieuw Amsterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

Eurodam   08:00 - 17:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Freeport, BS

Zaandam  

Great Stirrup Cay

Noordam   Anchorage

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Palermo, IT

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0416World.thumb.png.4adc35cb782093281a8f17b4907aac83.png
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's -2C and cloudy and supposed to warm up to 3C with a chance of showers this afternoon.

Interesting days.  Not really a fan of circuses (I don't like clowns).  Hubby loves mushrooms.  I try to be the family Bean Counter.

I've heard that quote before but didn't know who to attribute it to. 

The meal suggestion sounds good.  I'll pass on the drink and hope the wine is tasty.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.  We've been to Norway but not Skjolden.

Prayers for everyone. 

Stay safe.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich,  Not sure why bean counters have a day, although it probably fits me as an Actuary.  A salute to circus performers but pass on the mushrooms.  I have not been to Skjolden.  Love the Dumas-fils quote.  I'll pass on the meal as I do not enjoy spicy.  My alternative is Chilled Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Braised Grilled Herb Strip Loin Steak, and Key Lime Pie as served on MS Zaandam April 16, 2017:

dishes16.jpg

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui
Sea Viewer DH recovering from heart attack and reluctant to take care of himself
Lady Hudson SIL in rehab after stroke
Gracie with mystery surgery
Cruzn single new nodule
Hartgrove older sister entering hospice
Durangoscots new leaky shelter roof
From the rotation:
Strength for Marshawk and DH
Buddy still having trouble despite slow improvement
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Passover
Volendam housing refugees
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with guests
Cunnorl nephew just married
Lady Hudson visiting SIL
lazey1 BIL good surgery outcome
msmayor, her daughter, and her great bosses
ottahand7 DB almost ready for rehab discharge
1 day for sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam 4/17 to 5/8)
Heartgrove DW and DSIL (Nieuw Statendam  to 4/17) and Cruzin Terri (Nautica 4/11 to 5 /5 plus Rome stay)  at sea
Kazu’s ring found
Dismomx5 on grandchild watch
Norseh2o on family  celebration
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Looks like a great day, it was just slightly cool during the morning walk. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. The deer are moving, and the bucks have started making appearances. A quick grocery run, and then a day dedicated to cleaning the pollen off my deck & deck furniture. Hoping the worst of the pollen is over. All the wind has not helped.

In lieu of smiles, I present you with one WOW…. This picture was taken by the space craft launched by the European Space Station that will eventually orbit our sun. It took this picture when it was halfway to its destination. The picture is 83 megapixels. My iPhone - that takes great pictures has a 12 megapixel camera. 

42244163-D220-4AA5-9AB7-C06D28AE4080.jpeg.d94fcd27b3809729d350591c6a46d2ae.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Domaine Labouré-Gontard NV Brut

Not too many reviews available, but the reviewers like this sparkling wine. And the price is reasonable. Several online distributors with prices starting at $15.99.

Score: 90/100

A balanced, refreshing and vibrant Burgundian sparkling wine with aromas of white peach, toffee and golden apple. Enjoy as an aperitif or companion to seafood.

Crémant De Bourgogne food pairings: smoked fish, grilled shellfish, salads topped with grilled shrimp.

Sensational Shellfish Wine

This Labouré-Gontard Brut Crémant De Bourgogne was reviewed on October 29, 2021 by Natalie MacLean

• Like 30
  • Thanks 12

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

I like circuses but not the way some of the animals are treated.  Love mushrooms & I guess I’ve always been a bean counter.  I sure am now with the hospital bills I’m paying and pending nursing home bills 😉 

0D413359-9669-40A5-96A9-87DD31184661.jpeg.def6061707d4460a44927e73e3ea6b24.jpeg

Like the quote and huevos rancheros.  One Mexican dish that both DH and I like.  Today’s wine sounds very intriguing.  Norway is not until next year and the port isn’t on the agenda so I’ll look forward to pics.  

The sun is trying to peak out - it will be nice to not drive in the rain for a change 👍 

B880738B-1BFC-4974-B8CE-6F5A6DAFE6F9.jpeg.0acf136674bef432b71d9f7fe5fc6ed8.jpeg

Well don’t fall of your chairs, folks.  Tomorrow I am going to friends for Easter dinner.  Friends of Jose’s for decades and mine for a couple of decades.  We haven’t seen them since covid hit so it will be a nice break.  I’ll be testing twice to make sure I am not a risk to them and they know my acceptance of their invitation is subject to negative tests.  

9A1E5937-C589-41FB-A609-8722531B8513.thumb.jpeg.3618694bb32c3b1a466ccb7e4d97b659.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Saturday everyone !!!!!!

E70F035A-7281-427B-80FC-522E8A9512FA.jpeg.f7d2927387afaf95620aab797ae75f5b.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 28
  • Haha 15

Today's sunrise is on land but during a cruise.  It's from my 2014 MS Amsterdam voyage from Cape Town to Fort Lauderdale, and apparently on April 16 Amsterdam docked quite early in Mindelo, Cape Verde:

dawn0416.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Prayers and toasts to our lists. 

Drink of the day:

Banana Cinnamon Mojito:

Ingredients
2 oz Cruzan® Banana Rum
1/2 of Lime
7-10 leaves Mint, Fresh
1/2 oz Cinnamon Syrup
2 oz Soda Water
Garnish Mint, Fresh
1 Cinnamon Stick

Instructions
Add Mint, lime cut into wedges, & sugar in the bottom of a pint glass. Gently muddle for 10 seconds. Add rum to the pint glass and fill with ice. Top with a shaker and shake for 5 seconds. Top off with ice and add your soda water. Garnish with fresh spanked mint & a cinnamon stick.
Cinnamon syrup - Add 1/2 cup of Sugar, 1/2 cup of Water and 4 crushed cinnamon sticks to a sauce pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat for 5 minutes. Let cool and bottle. Will stay good for one week.

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.59.55 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Nowadays when I think of a circus I think of The World's Greatest Showman movie. I love mushrooms. 

Love the quote. The meal sounds great.

The storms certainly rolled in during the night. Loud thunder and hard, hard rain. It is supposed to continue through Monday, but right now the sun is trying to peek through the clouds.

Well, off to get a little work done. (Need to spread it out through the day.) Then I'll take a break for a second cup of coffee and come back here to read what more of my Daily family are up to today.

Have a good day. 🙂

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all.  Thanks for today’s report and lists.  Hats off to circuses, mushrooms and bean counters of which I am one.  We will soon be foraging for morel mushrooms where my mother lives in northern Michigan.  I love today’s meal suggestion and drink.  We were supposed to visit today’s port last year so I look forward to seeing the photos.  Instead, we’ll be visiting Bermuda this summer.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list including the people of the Ukraine this Easter season.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today. 

• Like 27

Good morning. It is cloudy and 55 degrees which is perfect for dog walking. I loved circuses as a child and brought my children to the City to watch the elephants walk through the Holland Tunnel on their way to Madison Square Garden. It was quite a sight and we still talk about it.

Mushrooms are a big favorite here and the plan for dinner includes a mushroom and spinach quiche.I do like the recipe suggestion also.

@kazu, Jacqui, I am glad you will have Easter Dinner with old friends.Enjoy!

Lasagna is requested for our Easter Dinner so I will get busy with that soon. 
Terry

• Like 28

Good Saturday morning!   it is a beautiful day but still below freezing but weather in the 60s is forecast for next weekend.  I hopefully can get my power washing done.  I do it myself with an electric power washer, pretty easy except for attaching the hose and dragging the hose around with the washer.  

I used to really enjoy circuses - they have taken the elephants out of the show now the big cats.  More horses and less clowns and they would be great.   We both love mushrooms.   For the quote there sure is a limit on genius and even smarts in many IMHO.   

I love Huevos and had them Tuesday when we were on a road trip.  The only part I don't like is the cilantro.  I asked for none but got it anyway but it was easy to scrape off.   No banana for me.  I love a good Cremant - good refreshing bubbly.   I have never been to Norway but look forward to the pictures. 

Prayers for all on the care list and for the people of Ukraine.  🙏

Some tulip pictures - my yellow ones and of me in 1958 probably at Tulip Time in Holland MI.   Happy Easter.  

yellow tulips.JPG

In the tulips Nancy '58.jpg

• Like 37

Good morning everyone.

We are off to a dreary start here in northeast Ohio.  Gray skies and drizzle that is threatening to stick around a bit.  So, off to the gym I'll go to walk the track and do the weight machines today.  I've started alternating with the pool and I can feel the difference.  

@kazu I am glad that you are having dinner tomorrow with old friends.  It is important to keep up social contacts, especially as we age, as we deal with issues of aging and the care of loved ones.  I must admit that the older I get, the more inclined I am to socially isolate.  I've been forcing myself not to do that.  

Today's meal sounds great to me, but it is a bit on the high carb side.  I'd have to find my low carb tortillas to make it or substitute lettuce leaves.  The first recipe uses a fresh, home made pico de gallo.  I'd have to flip that egg for just a few minutes to fully cook the egg white.  https://cookieandkate.com/huevos-rancheros-recipe/

840878357_huevosrancheros1.thumb.jpg.9ec4165eecf35f05169f3714ac711298.jpg

That looks delicious.  Huevos Rancheros is as spicy as you want it to be or as mild as you like.  Just because it has a Mexican origin doesn't mean it is all spice.   You can use a mild salsa and skip the hot sauce and you have a non spicy breakfast or brunch entree.   https://themodernproper.com/huevos-rancheros

1488851447_huevosrancheros2.thumb.png.b973a9db984bbc7d6713fe64797da78c.png

Ok, this next recipe will have some heat.  If you don't like the heat, use one of the two above.  

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/huevos_rancheros/

71360963_huevosrancheros3.thumb.jpg.0738ba81345337ed57e529cb4fa8125a.jpg

This last recipe is for the carnivores.  The above recipes have all been meatless, so if you must have your meat, take a look at this one.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/carnitas-huevos-rancheros/

1439539835_huevosrancheros4.jpg.99cbb8f90c3aa12c6ed388d053ef08cf.jpg

Ok, time for breakfast here!   Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members in need.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a great day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Good morning friends!  It's a rainy one here in our little town.  It should stop and be cloudy this afternoon, but there will be rain again Sunday and Monday.  Tough for the Easter egg hunts!  I walked the treadmill and will do laundry shortly, otherwise we will stay home and dry.  I already texted DD about Gracie for a report.  She came home from the vet's at close of business yesterday.  The vet upped her dosage of meds for seizures.  She had a couple last night but none today.  She's exhausted and still unable to walk on hardwood floors.  DD sent a short video showing her leaning against the wall standing on carpet, then attempting to step on wood where her legs suddenly splay out sideways and down on her tummy she goes.  She is eating and drinking well this morning though which is good.  If things go sideways this weekend there is an ER vet they can take her to which has neurologists to help with things like this.  Can't imagine the vet bills though.

Some interesting days today.  I like circuses and mushrooms.  Bean counters have their place though people like to make fun of their rigid viewpoints sometimes.  The quote is true!  No thanks to the huevos rancheros.  We are supposed to go to Skjolden in late June which I'm happy about.  I checked the chart on Norway and we've been to 17 Norway ports and have 4 new ones coming up in June which is great.  Norway is one of our favorite countries.

I've been praying regularly for all our CC friends, especially Jose and Jacqui, as well as Tana.  Then there are the Ukraine people and the countries assisting them, Gracie, Jen, Buddy and a friend's brother I heard about recently.  Never a shortage of people needing our prayers!  But the Celebration list is longer and that is something to rejoice.  Cheers for all of you!  Thanks to Rich and Roy for their important work here each day.  @kazuJacqui it's so nice to hear you will get out for Easter dinner with your good friends!  Thanks for those Easter memes - love to laugh!  @JAM37Julia, hope you and DH are feeling better.  Take it slow with all the work to do.  Hope the sun comes out for you today.  And what a sight to see the Rotterdam shining in the sunshine in Key West.  Thank you @1ANGELCATfor that heads up.  Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon.

It is sunny and 58°F.

We had a lovely meal last night.

Tomorrow will be Pauline's late mam's 100th birthday.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Interesting day and true quote.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who need them.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

IMG_20220415_183201.jpg

IMG_20220415_185450.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 36

Good morning everyone,

Some blue skies this morning here in SoFlo, but its still fairly windy. I cannot remember a year with so many windy days. Most days have been red flag days at the beach and now with the easterly winds sagassum is beginning to accumulate along the shore line. My city has a good and frequent removal program and keeps the beaches fairly clean. The big blue tractor has been busy this morning! They don't start cleaning the beach until "turtle man" has checked for nests (it's turtle laying season now) and he was late this morning.

We went out for Passover dinner last night at DH's cousins' It was a small group as it was decided that younger families with young children would have separate dinners. I missed having the children around but better safe than sorry, hopefully next year will be better.

Going to make huevos rancheros for breakfast (always use low carb tortillas @dfish)one one my favorites, use mild salsa for DH and I up the spice for mine. 🌶️🌶️

Hope everyone has a great weekend, stay safe.

Mary

• Like 27

Good morning! I remember Ringling Brother circus arriving in town by train and  their parade through town. I would get a free ticket by volunteering to help set up for the big show. Back then it was like a traveling city! Good memories.

Currently 66 but is forecasted to get up to 81 today. It will be a routine Saturday with a trip to the commissary to restock the pantry and fridge. Not much as we are thinking about our upcoming trip. We do bring a lot of spices and stuff with us as we do most of our cooking in our Kauai villa. 

Looking forward to Easter Services tomorrow morning so we can take some time to reflect, praise and so thankful for our many Blessings!

Have a great weekend and thanks to all who make the Dailey possible.

• Like 28

Good Saturday Morning!  It's gray and cloudy a nd was pouring at 3 this morning, and just raining at 8 and now at 9, it's just cloudy.

I love the quote, years ago my direct boss and I were working on creating a new computer screen to process "the spouse" for an insurance package, and we made some terrible boo boo (don't remember what)..His boss called us to his office, and said to my boss-"How stupid can you be?"  and my boss replied, "I'm not sure , sir.  I don't think we've been thoroughly tested."

We had a bit of a scare yesterday, our Furnando cat, the one we adopted off the streets last year, he has AIDS, and some idiot had shot him full of buck shot, that our vet wont take out, well, it appears he might have had a heart attack, or a seizure, or he fainted, not sure.  He was in the left window sill in the den, and walked over towards me to the right window sill, then he plopped out of the sill, landed on a little table, and completely fell off the table on to his side on the floor.  If you know cats, they will try to right themselves when losing balance, nothing. He lay on his side, I picked him up, and sat with him for a while, then lay him down on the sofa.  He was breathing heavily, I kept checking him, his breathing become normal, he rolled over to get his belly rubbed, but that was it.  He just lay there for an hour.  UNTIL I got dindin ready, and he jumped up and ran over to the counter, ran down the hall to his room, and ate heartily.  If this had happened anytime than after the vet had just closed for the day, we would have called.  So we need to keep an eye on him.

@cat shepardThank you for posting the beautiful sun to us today.  Wow what a picture!

@kazu I hope that you have a wonderful time with your friends tomorrow!

@JAM37 It sounds like you are feeling better, don't work too hard,  you don't want to wear yourself out before you get a day older!

@ottahand7Thank you for the pictures.  I remember reading about Holland MI in a Bobsey Twins book when I was little.

@dfish Thank you  for always posting great looking recipes and all the hard work that you do to get them for us.  I am glad to read that I am not the only one who has become more socially distant from others over the last several years.  I know it's not a good thing, but it does mean that we are OK with our own company.  If you are OK at the party you're at, then celebrate the day.

28spu4.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!   Circuses are fine if the animals are well cared for - a cousin of mine joined Ringling Brothers and toured with them for a few years as their drummer.  We both love mushrooms, cooked and raw.   I'm happy for the bean counters out there, because I've never been good with numbers and count on our favourite one to do our taxes every year.

Today's quote really made me laugh because it's true!  Not sure I'd like the drink today, and will give the white wine a pass. 

We had a lovely dinner with our friend last night - he sauteed, then oven baked this pork chops and served them along with baby potatoes cooked in broth and stir fried vegetables.  His ex-wife joined us (they're good friends after being divorced for 15 years) and she brought fresh baked bread and a delicious salad.  We ended the evening with the pie I made, and everyone was satisfied and happy.  It was good getting together after such a long absence - I'm so glad @kazuhas agreed to join her friends for Easter dinner.  Not that we don't enjoy each other's company, but it really felt good being with other people for a change.  

Not a lot on the agenda for today; DH will go to a car show with his SIL and I'll stay home getting the house ready for our departure next week.  I like to leave the house looking somewhat presentable (I'll get rid of yesterday's dust bunnies and their ears) so Sochi's caregiver.   DH went for a haircut on Thursday and before he left he said "I think I'll get a mullet this time", and shut the door.  He always makes me laugh.  With that in mind, I thought this was appropriate:

1836006924_EasterEgg.jpg.92d78d26ee9722a799332cd6c12545ce.jpg

I like today's menu suggestion, but know if I made it, DH's egg would have to be flipped over several times to the hard stage - either that or scrambled.  Looking in the fridge this morning I realize I've got a lot of tomatoes to use up, so I think we'll have a light dinner tonight consisting of BLT sandwiches and the remainder of the borscht made earlier in the week.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing aid to them.  Extra prayers for our Daily family who are having health issues as well as other struggles.  We'll clink our glasses together to salute all on the celebration list.  Be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, get your boosters, and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1