Where are Rapid Antigen tests?

claudia814

Seems like CVS and Walgreens are no longer carrying Rapid Antigen tests in California’s Riverside County. My friend had the little orange rapid antigen home test kit we got from government and took test in front of RiteAid pharmacist and it must of worked since he’s cruising now. Happy cruising and keep smiling. 

Interesting!  I've never heard of that angle on the testing.  Note however (I just recently learned this) you can use those orange labelled iHealth test kits at home with the iHealth online proctored service.  I believe it was either $20 or $25 per person/test.  I am using this as a "Plan B" for an upcoming cruise if I cannot get into CVS where we usually test.

• Thanks 1

Our Krogers grocery had the Abbot Labs kit behind the pharmacy counter.  If you are seeking a non-monitored self test kit for your own use, we found them at Ace Hardware behind the cashier’s counter.  I was very surprised to see them there but stocked up.  Nice to have in reserve.

Try your local convenient clinic, or urgent care clinic, or whatever it is called where you are.  We've tested twice at our before cruises and I just tested yesterday because I had symptoms similar to my first Covid case--low temp, chills, cough, runny nose, etc.  Free for us on Medicare and supplemental insurance.

I tested negative, so Dr. said 'just' regular old virus or cold.  Feeling miserable but glad it's not Covid.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 12:31 PM, claudia814 said:

Seems like CVS and Walgreens are no longer carrying Rapid Antigen tests in California’s Riverside County. My friend had the little orange rapid antigen home test kit we got from government and took test in front of RiteAid pharmacist and it must of worked since he’s cruising now. Happy cruising and keep smiling. 

well this is a first.  I have never heard of Rite Aid getting involved with any testing for those how need it viewed for cruising.

2 minutes ago, RJAM3 said:

were they supervised? $100 per person?

No these were just the standard iHealth antigen tests like the ones mailed free by the federal government. $17 for two. We ordered out proctored tests from Emed. These are just for our own self monitoring. 

On 4/24/2022 at 7:23 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

Try your local convenient clinic, or urgent care clinic, or whatever it is called where you are.  We've tested twice at our before cruises and I just tested yesterday because I had symptoms similar to my first Covid case--low temp, chills, cough, runny nose, etc.  Free for us on Medicare and supplemental insurance.

I tested negative, so Dr. said 'just' regular old virus or cold.  Feeling miserable but glad it's not Covid.

Nebraska and Colorado are giving the Abbott ones out for free (through eMed). Contact your county health department.

Glad it is not COVID.

Edited by Coral

I guess we're very fortunate ... we can schedule the rapid PCR tests ( drive thru ) about 15 minutes drive from our house or so, 45 minute test and paper results, 15 minute drive back home,  thru the health department - no cost, with or without insurance

did this before ( and after ) our last cruise

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I guess we're very fortunate ... we can schedule the rapid PCR tests ( drive thru ) about 15 minutes drive from our house or so, 45 minute test and paper results, 15 minute drive back home,  thru the health department - no cost, with or without insurance

Yeah think those days might be coming to and end.  Testing doesn't seem to be a "thing" anymore.  Keeping an interested eye on things down here.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

Yeah think those days might be coming to and end.  Testing doesn't seem to be a "thing" anymore.  Keeping an interested eye on things down here.

Cheers

correct - but at least for now, I keep getting advance notice emails about upcoming "events" and can book before released to the 'general public' on their website ... because, well, I'm special and all that ...🦄

StatMed has rapid Antigen tests but even better, Albertsons (aka: Safeway, Luckys, Vons, etc) has rapid PCR tests!! Results in an hour + can have 3 days instead of 2 days before cruise

Edited by Ombud

20 hours ago, Coral said:

Nebraska and Colorado are giving the Abbott ones out for free (through eMed). Contact your county health department.

Glad it is not COVID.

I realize that.  However, our internet is not very reliable and it would be likely  that we wouldn't be able to complete a test without losing service.  Same for our phone.

20 hours ago, voljeep said:

Same where we live we have  quite a few drive throughs and drive-ups and usually have the results within 24 hours.  Have used before two cruises now and I hope they keep it going because very convenient.

23 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

No these were just the standard iHealth antigen tests like the ones mailed free by the federal government. $17 for two. We ordered out proctored tests from Emed. These are just for our own self monitoring. 

Check with your health insurance. I purchase those same tests from Amazon and can be reimbursed for up to 8 tests (4 kits) per month from BCBS. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2022 at 10:43 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Interesting!  I've never heard of that angle on the testing.  Note however (I just recently learned this) you can use those orange labelled iHealth test kits at home with the iHealth online proctored service.  I believe it was either $20 or $25 per person/test.  I am using this as a "Plan B" for an upcoming cruise if I cannot get into CVS where we usually test.

I paid 24.99 to do this online test this morning and after waiting for over 2 hours, I finally gave up and am heading to CVS.  DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

27 minutes ago, seagunthera said:

I paid 24.99 to do this online test this morning and after waiting for over 2 hours, I finally gave up and am heading to CVS.  DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Which company, so I may avoid?  Thank you and best wishes to you at CVS.  Edited to say, I re-read and it is the ihealth proctor company.

Edited by FlorenceItaly

33 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Which company, so I may avoid?  Thank you and best wishes to you at CVS.  Edited to say, I re-read and it is the ihealth proctor company.

I believe iHealth is NO longer booking proctoring! If you go to the link to ‘buy’ the appointment, it shows ‘sold out’.

I remember reading a post on another thread where IHealth said they were suspending proctoring option with no date for possible resumption.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seagunthera said:

Was that iHealth or BinaxNow?? I'm hoping for a backup in case my Drs office ever stops doing the Antigen (not sure they would as my insurance covers 100%)

See you on the Discovery Princess Sunday 👋

Edited by Ombud

28 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Was that iHealth or BinaxNow?? I'm hoping for a backup in case my Drs office ever stops doing the Antigen (not sure they would as my insurance covers 100%)

See you on the Discovery Princess Sunday 👋

Binax now is still proctored.

• Thanks 1

The government announced about 6 weeks ago you could get 8 MORE FREE by applying on the site they gave. This was in ADDITION to the first ones they gave for free

I told my clients and friends to order them cause most of them never pay attention to anything. Anyway we all got them this week. 
APPLY maybe not too late

Kathy