What Bucket List Item Failed to Live Up to Expectations?

mnocket

There are a few experiences that are tied for second in my most disappointing Bucket List.

Trevi Fountain, simply because of the crowds and the way it was built.  One visit was enough, but, I did throw a coin in the water and I did make a return visit to Rome.

A trans-Atlantic crossing on QE2 during a time when there were labor issues aboard, traveling Tourist Class, I was paying more per day than I had on a just completed crossing and North Cape Cruise on Royal Viking Sky, and "enjoyed Tea" in one of the Lounges where the service included cracked cups, chipped saucers, and no tea spoons, and my traveling companion and I had one wash cloth from Bremerhaven to Southampton and none from Southampton to New York.  

My Great Barrier Reef tour left from Cairns.  I was prepared for what I feared I might see of the reef.  Actually, the part of the reef my boat visited showed more life than I thought I might see.  Glad to have made the visit; saddened by what I saw; no need to make a return visit.  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

There are a few experiences that are tied for second in my most disappointing Bucket List.

Trevi Fountain, simply because of the crowds and the way it was built.  One visit was enough, but, I did throw a coin in the water and I did make a return visit to Rome.

The crowds I understand - but what was it about the way the Trevi Fountain was built did you find disappointing?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Well said.  A site that disappointed me, for whatever reason,) may delight someone else.

Parts of the Valley of the Kings and Luxor were the most disappointing bucket list item that I think I have experienced.  I have a good imagination (I think), but, I had difficulty trying to imagine the ruins that I saw when they were built.  Probably spent more time watching where I was walking to avoid falling (particularly at night; thankfully, I had a small flashlight with me), than I did trying to appreciate what I was seeing.  

Good point.  I also recall visiting pyramids at Gaza, there were 50+ tour buses.  I made note of my bus #.   I was a bit concerned about finding my way back to the bus since ship was docked in Alexandria.  Did not realize the buses where moving from where they drops us off which complicated the experience.   Did feel finding the right tour bus took away from my over all experience.  Would not tour again there but was still glad I went. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I always had this vision of it being the jungle, the temples, myself and a few other intrepid travelers. Imagine my surprise when, on the first evening I arrived, I went out to Angkor Wat in a tuk-tuk to take the iconic photo with sunset and the lake in front....and there were hundreds of others doing exactly the same thing.

My next bucket item is a cruise up the Amazon river.  I know anywhere I go I will be accompanied by others from the ship, but I sure hope there's some authenticity to the experience. 

6 hours ago, mnocket said:

My next bucket item is a cruise up the Amazon river.  I know anywhere I go I will be accompanied by others from the ship, but I sure hope there's some authenticity to the experience. 

"Authentic" can be a highly subjective word, though.  Is it realistic to expect that a cruise on a large modern ship with thousands of passengers (unless you are going on an expedition vessel) will provide a lot of authenticity?

The other thought that springs to mind is that while we are all guilty of thinking (and saying) that things were better in the past, we also have to remember that nowawdays going up the Amazon comes without risk of developing typhoid or yellow fever, and one travels in comfort with A/C, good food, comfortable bed-- no camping in the rough. And no worrying about headhunters. 😱

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

"Authentic" can be a highly subjective word, though.  Is it realistic to expect that a cruise on a large modern ship with thousands of passengers (unless you are going on an expedition vessel) will provide a lot of authenticity?

The other thought that springs to mind is that while we are all guilty of thinking (and saying) that things were better in the past, we also have to remember that nowawdays going up the Amazon comes without risk of developing typhoid or yellow fever, and one travels in comfort with A/C, good food, comfortable bed-- no camping in the rough. And no worrying about headhunters. 😱

Agreed - a truly authentic Amazon experience in the “good old days” was a thing most would want to avoid like the plague.

10 hours ago, mnocket said:

The only time we went on the Amazon, we visited an "authentic" native village where the "authentic" natives wore "authentic" clothing.  At the end of the day I assume that they went back to the "authentic" homes that we saw which had "authentic" satellite dishes on them.

DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

The only time we went on the Amazon, we visited an "authentic" native village where the "authentic" natives wore "authentic" clothing.  At the end of the day I assume that they went back to the "authentic" homes that we saw which had "authentic" satellite dishes on them.

DON

That reminds me of something I saw on one of my visits to Egypt. I had booked a private guide to take me to some off-the-beaten track places. One place I wanted to see in particular is the "City of the Dead" in Cairo (The City of the Dead: Cairo’s Historic Necropolis — CSA Reviving Community (csa-living.org)   that is filled with ornate tombs from Ottoman days but are currently utilized as housing by some of the poorest denizens of Cairo.

I found it somewhat incongruous (but amusing) that these mausoleums all had satellite dishes...  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Most disappointing:  Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, and Hawaii.  After a lifetime of seeing Sagrada Familia on tv and elsewhere, the reality just did not astound me as I expected it to.  I was ready to move on.  I loved the many sea days going to, and returning from Hawaii, but none of the islands were as I expected them to be.

Better than expected: Tower of Pisa.  I just loved that day and that place. In retrospect, I might relate to the Tower because I have one leg shorter than the other; maybe I respect the Tower for remaining upright for so long.

Also better than expected: Naples, Italy, and especially The Veiled Christ.  Seeing it on Rick Steves just does not prepare me for the reality.  Every minute I was in Naples was just wonderful.

All of this says to me that there are so many factors involved in everything we experience, including our expectations.  Back in 1969, a friend told me "The Graduate" was by far the most fabulous, wonderful, profound movie ever made.  By the time I saw it, I was of course disappointed.  I wonder how much we color each others' expectations on these pages, with our comments on the good and the bad, whether it be ships, food, destinations

• Like 2

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

So my expectations should focus on flora and fauna, but not the people.   Got it.

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Boca da Valeria!  Even though it was touristy, I liked my experience.  (Consider other such "communities", like Williamsburg, one can learn from visits to such sites.)  

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

a truly authentic Amazon experience in the “good old days” was a thing most would want to avoid like the plague.

I wonder how many had the opportunity to do so and actually did.

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The crowds I understand - but what was it about the way the Trevi Fountain was built did you find disappointing?

I expected Trevi to be a "stand alone" fountain as others that I had seen in Rome.  It's back portion certainly looked to me like it was attached to a building that I did not expect to see.  

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

disappointing:  Sagrada Familia in Barcelona,

Agree.  A Cathedral under construction; really didn't see much that was so wonderful.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Better than expected: Tower of Pisa.  

Not for me.  Couldn't visit any of the surrounding buildings; all were shut up tight.  But, Pisa does win my "Loo Memory of all my Travels Award":  the absolute most disgusting and filthy port-a-potties of any such Loos that I have had the need to patronize around the world!  The Eastern style restrooms that I needed to use were in much better condition than what I found at Pisa.  

I disagree about Sagrada Familia.  I was mesmerized.  Perhaps you didn’t get inside?  It’s like no other cathedral.  
Now, the Amazon…my first modern day cruise (1999)was to Manaus from Buenos Aires.  But I had been to Manaus twice before and found it fascinating.  I chose the cruise because both times I had been there, there had been a cruise ship at the floating pier, and I wanted to be on it!  There is lots of authentic Amazon if you know where to look.  The riverboats with their hammocks.  The small fishing boats that people actually live on.  My first visit was with a professional group and the tour started in Manaus.  The second time couldn’t have been more authentic.  I was part of an Earthwatch .expedition studying the tropical fishing industry.  We spent some days in Manaus and then sailed three days up the Rio Negro in a small boat without a/c which leaked when it rained.  We stopped several days in Barcelona where we helped with a tropical fish festival.  We took small boats up the igarapes to sample tropical fish and talk with fishermen.  The entire trip was authentic.  EM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Blarney Stone.  In a slow line up a spiral staircase.  Then:

"NEXT".   Lay down kiss the stone.  Spray with windex.  Pic available at the exit. 

"NEXT".   Lay down kiss the stone.  Spray with windex.  Pic available at the exit.

"NEXT".  Lay down kiss the stone.  Spray with windex.  Pic available at the exit. 

Actually the old castle and the incredibly worn spiral staircase were pretty cool.   The Blarney Stone -- I enjoyed watching Mrs Ldubs participate.  Not that I think she needed any help being more persuasive.  LOL.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I expected Trevi to be a "stand alone" fountain as others that I had seen in Rome.  It's back portion certainly looked to me like it was attached to a building that I did not expect to see.  

Interesting -- I found the facade of the office building behind the fountain to be an enhancement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Most disappointing:  Sagrada Familia in Barcelona --

I always felt that Sagrada Familia's architecture to be almost childish -- looking more like the sort of sand castle you build by letting wet sand drip through your fingers than any sort of conscious construction.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I disagree about Sagrada Familia.  I was mesmerized.  Perhaps you didn’t get inside?  It’s like no other cathedral.  
Now, the Amazon…my first modern day cruise (1999)was to Manaus from Buenos Aires.  But I had been to Manaus twice before and found it fascinating.  I chose the cruise because both times I had been there, there had been a cruise ship at the floating pier, and I wanted to be on it!  There is lots of authentic Amazon if you know where to look.  The riverboats with their hammocks.  The small fishing boats that people actually live on.  My first visit was with a professional group and the tour started in Manaus.  The second time couldn’t have been more authentic.  I was part of an Earthwatch .expedition studying the tropical fishing industry.  We spent some days in Manaus and then sailed three days up the Rio Negro in a small boat without a/c which leaked when it rained.  We stopped several days in Barcelona where we helped with a tropical fish festival.  We took small boats up the igarapes to sample tropical fish and talk with fishermen.  The entire trip was authentic.  EM

Our first cruise was in 2002, and started in Barcelona. That was a time when the cruise industry as part of the travel industry was still reeling from the events of 9/11/2001. Royal Caribbean gave us and the others who had bought transfers a tour of Barcelona that included the Sagrada Familia. DW and I were both mesmerized by the Gaudi architecture.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 1:42 PM, sverigecruiser said:

I think that Manneken Pis is even worse!

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this topic!

Another one for me was Peggy’s Cove. I had visions of this idyllic quiet, sun drenched village, but when we got there, we arrived at the same time as 20 tour buses. The weather was overcast, cold, and rainy so everyone tried to huddle into the one little shop selling hot chocolate. Not fun.

Lastly, the Mona Lisa. I had read that it was smaller than many expected, but I didn’t realize until I got there how small it truly is. Add the hundreds of tourists gathered around it, preventing others from getting a closer look, and you have all the ingredients for an underwhelming experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I always felt that Sagrada Familia's architecture to be almost childish -- looking more like the sort of sand castle you build by letting wet sand drip through your fingers than any sort of conscious construction.

There's actually a lot of rigor, engineering and complexity underlying Gaudi's work. One of the houses he designed in Barcelona that's open to the public has a museum in its attic area that has fascinating models (built by Gaudi) showing the underpinnings of his architecture. His structures were designed to stand on their own without internal bracing, external buttressing, and the like—or, as Gaudí observed, as a tree stands. 

While the exterior often has a somewhat fantastical look, it's based on traditional Catalan styles (e.g., Moorish, Gothic) seen through the lens of Art Nouveau of the time. I found the models mesmerizing and definitely came away with a better understanding of exactly how unique his work is.

image.png.33e8273a15cf7eff2cd625be107fd7fe.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I agree it is good to go inside and all around for a close up look.  I found the more modern facade on what I guess most would consider the back side to be very interesting.   It is such a contrast to the front facade.   

Edited by ldubs

55 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I agree it is good to go inside and all around for a close up look.  I found the more modern facade on what I guess most would consider the back side to be very interesting.   It is such a contrast to the front facade.   

The inside was still 'in progress' and not yet concecrated when i was there in 2010.  I still marveled at imagining what it would look like when finished.  The outside well, wow.  I dove into all the scenarios that were presented on the outside.  I took over 200 photos just of things on the outside.  I was really moved by Sagrada Familia.   One of my favorite photos:

DSC_0178.JPG

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tapi said:

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this topic!

Another one for me was Peggy’s Cove. I had visions of this idyllic quiet, sun drenched village, but when we got there, we arrived at the same time as 20 tour buses. The weather was overcast, cold, and rainy so everyone tried to huddle into the one little shop selling hot chocolate. Not fun.

Lastly, the Mona Lisa. I had read that it was smaller than many expected, but I didn’t realize until I got there how small it truly is. Add the hundreds of tourists gathered around it, preventing others from getting a closer look, and you have all the ingredients for an underwhelming experience.

I agree that Peggy's Cove is way overrated.

Also with the Mona Lisa, I remember having to deal with not only not being able to get close with the hundreds of tourists gathered there, but also it seemed all of them had selfie sticks held high above them. 😒

15 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Especially with the sunlight streaming in through the windows! 

• Like 3