OK we just did our first cruise and here is my lesson learned

JonlLee

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Which cruise lines have "no tips" policy?  

P&O (UK) have no auto gratuities, and tips are not expected.

However, you can still tip if you want to.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 7:24 AM, Steelers36 said:

It would appear that you are not aware that if you remove the auto-gratuities (now called Crew Incentive - which is really part of their base compensation), your individual tips handed out are not allowed to be kept by that individual but go into the pool of funds to be shared by all crew.

You need to leave the auto-incentive on and then they can keep your additional rewards.

I asked a crew member who was cleaning the decks once if they got part of the automatic gratuities and the answer was no they get paid on a different pay scale to those who service the cabins. My understanding from other crew members is those crew that aren’t part of the direct service to the guests are paid on a higher pay scale and do not receive any of the automatic gratuities. Would be interesting to get a positive confirmation of this. 

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

Which cruise lines have "no tips" policy?  

P&O for one 👍

Great service comes as standard. Tipping isn't needed on our ships so you can relax knowing good service and good times are all part and parcel of your P&O Cruises holiday.

Edited by devonuk
Updated
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I don't remove them but I adjust them to what I feel is right for me. At guest services you can designate any amount you want. Some where between $10 - $14 PP PD is where I fall. According to the contract pre covid, all cash extra you give goes into the pool which is fleet wide, not just the ship you sailed on regardless of leaving the auto gratuity intact. Princess takes an administration fee from these auto gratuities so all your money is not going to the crew.

I believe the money left in the cabin for your steward probably went into their pocket.  

I would never leave money in the room for the steward. I always give it to him/her on the last night. Disembarkation days a whole troupe of people descend to stips the beds, clean out the cabin, etc. Not likely the steward got that money.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JonlLee said:

I am wondering if we can get it refunded now that it is after the fact

or at least adjusted 🙂

I trying to reach their 1800 number and check .

this is unbeknownst to me,. it wasn't explained during booking for I may have skipped over it. 

I tend to read all the small print. but may be this one is really small LOL

Doubtful you will get anywhere. Chalk it up to a learning experience on cruise vacations.  Many cruise lines have the same or similar policies regarding housekeeping gratuities. Some cruise lines charge a gratuity per beverage ordered even when you have an inclusive beverage package. You have to know before you go.

Regarding reading the small print refer to the FAQ's on the Princess web site. They clearly explain the crew incentive and services charges. Look here:

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/onboard/onboard-experience/

16 hours ago, JonlLee said:

I am wondering if we can get it refunded now that it is after the fact.  being a frugal me, my question is there a way to get rid of this automatic crew appreciation fee?

please don't do it.

And in the future, don't remove gratuities if you are satisfied with the service provided. It has nothing to do with you being frugal. I am as frugal as it gets, but I don't stiff people on the tips they have earned.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

P&O (UK) have no auto gratuities, and tips are not expected.

However, you can still tip if you want to.

True. 

https://www.cruise118.com/news/no-more-service-charges-on-po-cruises/

A spokesperson for P&O Cruises have since confirmed that passengers are neither ‘required nor expected’ to tip on-board, but it can be done if passengers so wish. The change will also not affect crew pay on-board the ship, who earn a ‘fair and appropriate wage’.

So P & O absorbed the gratuities and kept paying it to crew. The change happened in 2019. I’ve never priced P&O before or after but I think it reasonable to believe their business model would require the gratuities not be taken out of the company’s profit margins. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

53 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

please don't do it.

And in the future, don't remove gratuities if you are satisfied with the service provided. It has nothing to do with you being frugal. I am as frugal as it gets, but I don't stiff people on the tips they have earned.

Amen to that.

• Like 2

Part of the problem is considering the gratuities as “tips”. In my opinion it is really a significant part of their pay no matter what it’s called. To the extent that they wouldn’t likely be here for the base salary the receive if there was no extra income from the gratuity pool. A cruise line mentioned like P&O is paying a higher wage if the6 actively are discouraging tipping. In the case of Princess operating in Australia, on average a higher cruise fare is charged Australians and then Princess kicks in to the gratuity pool on those cruises. But yes, competitive pricing of cruises could lead to the scenario mentioned where a North American paid a higher fare plus had gratuities added. Just like I may pay less for the cruise we’re on than you paid.

I really wish that with all the changes Princess would go to gratuities included in the base fare price as P&O appears to be doing. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AE_Collector said:

I really wish that with all the changes Princess would go to gratuities included in the base fare price as P&O appears to be doing. 

I like that!! Base fare w/grats, "Best Value" with grats, wifi, etc, and "Premium" with all those extras.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

True. 

A spokesperson for P&O Cruises have since confirmed that passengers are neither ‘required nor expected’ to tip on-board, but it can be done if passengers so wish. The change will also not affect crew pay on-board the ship, who earn a ‘fair and appropriate wage’.

So P & O absorbed the gratuities and kept paying it to crew. The change happened in 2019. I’ve never priced P&O before or after but I think it reasonable to believe their business model would require the gratuities not be taken out of the company’s profit margins. 

I have cruised with P&O both before and after the new policy was introduced. 

As we all know, fluid pricing, changing obc, special offers etc, make it very difficult to accurately compare prices from one year to the next.

However,  I have to say that I and my fellow posters on the P&O forum, have not noticed any significant increase in fares since the new policy came into effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

True. 

Wonder? On which lines & business models do service crews make more money? Where do crew like to work?

I think it's the current Princess model sailing in North American market and other markets where there are lots of North Americans on board. Crew receive compensation from the crew incentive pool and in many cases directly from the passengers they serve. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2022 at 7:08 AM, cruzsnooze said:

A lot has changed. Now they state the entertainment dept is is the tip pool too. 

What is a Crew Appreciation?

The crew appreciation is a daily (adjustable) amount added to your onboard account and pooled in order to recognize the many crew members in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas and entertainment areas throughout our fleet who contribute to the guest experience. The daily amount of the Crew Appreciation is based on stateroom category: $14.50 per guests in Interior, Oceanview and Balcony, $15.50 per guest in Mini-Suite and Club Class, $16.50 per guests in Suites.

I think it's just plain weird to tip Onboard Revenue areas. I don't tip salespeople here, why would I there?? I worked hard here to as an ombudsman (similar to Guest Services) but it would be weird to tip me too. I wish they would be honest & recognize it for what it is -- supplements salary.

ADDED: I tip certain ppl extra $$s & chocolates (or chips if not flying in)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

However,  I have to say that I and my fellow posters on the P&O forum, have not noticed any significant increase in fares since the new policy came into effect.

That's because the gratuity is shared across the ENTIRE fleet so those that choose to leave their gratuity intact particularly in the US are supplementing the cruises that don't require gratuity. 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Wonder? On which lines & business models do service crews make more money? Where do crew like to work?

I think it's the current Princess model sailing in North American market and other markets where there are lots of North Americans on board. Crew receive compensation from the crew incentive pool and in many cases directly from the passengers they serve. 

My point exactly as I made earlier 😀 I feel the N Americans are culturally more prepared to tip than the Brits. As for P&O and the no tipping policy it is the case that I do reward good service which is then very much my choice. 
This tipping malarkey really is a can of worms 😳

• Like 1

Can of worms is right.  Looks like I was wrong about who in the ship's crew gets part of the gratuities.  I was relying on a quote where Princess said "behind the scenes" crew took part in it.  Then I see they talk about specific parts of the crew, just those who have some relationship with cruisers.   Hmmm---

In any event, I still feel that gratuities are expected as part of their income, and I gladly pay that.  It would take something catastrophic to make me entertain the idea of removing crew appreciation from my bill.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 6:05 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

That steward must have loved you!! That's a huge tip for a 4-day cruise.

Yes, but he owed (14.50 x 2 x 4)=$116.  I think he was beyond frugal right into Scrooge-ville.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GoHuskies! said:

Yes, but he owed (14.50 x 2 x 4)=$116.  I think he was beyond frugal right into Scrooge-ville.

That would be the case if the 14.50 all went to the cabin steward. The 14.50 is shared.

12 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

That's because the gratuity is shared across the ENTIRE fleet so those that choose to leave their gratuity intact particularly in the US are supplementing the cruises that don't require gratuity. 

I don’t agree with this statement because it is only the additional gratuity charge to the passenger that isn’t required in that area (Australia/New Zealand). The crew still gets their share of the gratuity pool (as opposed to a higher rate of pay working in these areas) but Princess adds the $ to the pool on behalf of the passengers on these cruises. Some ships come and go from these areas during a crew members contract. So nothing in other areas is being supplemented by those of us who consider the auto gratuities a part of the cost of the cruise. 

Edited by AE_Collector
Clarification
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I like that!! Base fare w/grats, "Best Value" with grats, wifi, etc, and "Premium" with all those extras.

With so many Plus Packages including grats it just seems like time to do it across the board. Most or all of celebrity cruise prices also include grats now I believe (?) so even more reason to just do it. And adding gratuities to the base fare would allow the to keep the plus type add-ons lower priced instead of them going up.

And yes as you eluded to, a “Basic Plus” type package with gratuities and maybe internet (not certain about a specialty meal or not) but WITHOUT the big ticket item (alcohol) could interest us. I don’t even look at the add-on packages with alcohol because that isn’t an important item for us on vacation. We do drink a little but nowhere near enough to justify a package including almost unlimited alcohol and we don’t even want to consider that on a cruise holiday. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

please don't do it.

Yet actually very little of the "autotip" is now dedicated to the people give you that great service on board.

The tip pool is now shared among all the Princess ships. So of the $14.50/day autotip, a dollar or less each day actually goes to staff on your ship.

20 hours ago, Ombud said:

I think it's just plain weird to tip Onboard Revenue areas. I don't tip salespeople here, why would I there?? I worked hard here to as an ombudsman (similar to Guest Services) but it would be weird to tip me too. I wish they would be honest & recognize it for what it is -- supplements salary.

ADDED: I tip certain ppl extra $$s & chocolates (or chips if not flying in)

You might think of it more like a bonus for exceeding the revenue income projections and not a weekly gratuity. Princess may have contractual wording for these situations, and the accounting sense bonuses may be funded from the gratuity pools. This could be a reason why Princess has the wording included. 

On 5/12/2022 at 10:26 AM, voljeep said:

my wife learned a lesson about the auto-tip/gratuity for spa services - she caught it in time, and her additional tip was removed.  Never had that repeated, and never went back to the spa, either - too much talking and 'hard sell of products' for her to enjoy the treatment...

That's terrible.  Though, one look at the spa prices, and I'd nope right out of that place. I guess I've watched enough cruising videos on YT, that I know how the spa works guests on the upsells and add-ons.  I remember being near the elevators and listening to one side of a phone call of a young (maybe 20-ish) girl calling whom I presume is her mom, dang near in tears because of what the total bill was, and she didn't know how it happened.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Yet actually very little of the "autotip" is now dedicated to the people give you that great service on board.

The tip pool is now shared among all the Princess ships. So of the $14.50/day autotip, a dollar or less each day actually goes to staff on your ship.

so, we should all just cancel auto gratuities?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

so, we should all just cancel auto gratuities?

I'm wondering that myself. 

It's one of those things where I've read reports here of how merciless the cruise lines can be about alcohol packages (e.g. a HAL Beverage Manager was not very nice towards another CC guest when HAL decided to include water bottles in that 15 drink limit per day; don't know if HAL has reversed course), and most recently, I saw a suite guest on Celebrity upset about how he had spent $13,000 on the cruise, and some alcohol charge was being passed to him.  I only heard bits and pieces of that conversation, but I heard both points.

It's one of those things where I recognize that the cruise lines want to give us a great experience, it's just business to us.  We are revenue items.  That's it.

Edited by Mike07