The Daily for Thursday 05/12/2022

richwmn

Today is Fatigue Syndrome Day, International Nurses Day, and Limerick Day

I am good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil. I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love.--Marilyn Monroe

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Caprese Quesadillas
Drink of the Day - French 75
Wine of the Day - Cotes de Provence, France
Destination of the Day - Agadir, Morocco

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Noordam   Destination Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada eta 05/14
Oosterdam   Destination Ashdod, Jerusalem, Israel eta 05/13
Zuiderdam   Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 05/13

Copenhagen, DK

Rotterdam  

Corfu Island, Kerkyra, Greece

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 17:00

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Zaandam   08:00 - 17:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Eurodam   07:00 - 13:00
Koningsdam   10:00 - 18:00

Skagway, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 21:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Los Angeles, CA US

Westerdam  

0512World.thumb.png.89bfe69d7c6fedf4084e4cf61ffdc316.png
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.

It is 50°F and cloudy.

We have gone shopping so had breakfast first in the mall.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Nurses deserve our praise especially when we are in hospital.

I felt fatigued for a couple of months when I had covid in November 2020.

I don't like the quote but it probably fits with Marilyn Monroe.

Pauline went to Agadir on a school cruise when she was 14.

We have both been to Casablanca in Morocco.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone is well and have a safe and nice day.

Graham.

IMG_20220512_110622.jpg

• Like 38

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Chronic fatigue syndrome day is celebrated on May 12, the birthday of Florence Nightingale, the founder of modern nursing. I enjoy reading limericks some are very funny.  The meal suggestion sounds very tasty as does the wine.  Have not been to today’s port, I anticipate some nice photos later.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events and to nurses!

• Like 31

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Another summer-like day here, today's high is 29C, normal for this time of year is 17C.  We'll enjoy it while we can.

A big thank you to nurses.  I don't know any limericks that I could repeat here.😉

Interesting quote from an interesting person.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I hope the drink and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

Fatigue Syndrome Day - I definitely have caught that.  Started laying out the planters and cleaning up yesterday and found myself saying ‘What for”.  Gong to start fresh today and hope I can get more energy 😉. Praise to all nurses - I’ve seen them in action for 5 months and most of them are angels.

I resemble the first sentence in the quote of Marilyn Monroe’s.

We enjoyed Agadir (yes the oil comes from there) - very different from Casablanca.

Lots of discussion the other day on the price of gas.  Certainly in Canada the huge price is puzzling since we produce it here and, in fact there is an oil refinery a few miles from here.  After much research, I’ve found the reason:

30CD080D-C352-465F-B76D-7AF8F1BCF47A.thumb.jpeg.7f75274e61c0747e58fac6024b3a5788.jpeg

Spring has finally begun to sprung here (is that correct?  LOL)

0F34AE4F-F107-410F-AA87-3A258AE707B4.thumb.jpeg.a01855fdc3d71f4480541ad913679157.jpeg

FBBAA75E-F31C-4D8D-B20F-2CDD064C5F5C.thumb.jpeg.f6c5cdb6647efa7f7155ff573c5241ea.jpeg

No forecast of frost for the next 2 weeks 🤞 so I’m going to try to pull up boot straps and get a bunch of planting done 🤞 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Thursday everyone

5EA8BF39-63F9-441B-B05A-3CF5DFD9C087.jpeg.388f6f5edb32d1897ef5596c1d4b8cce.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

Thank you for the Daily Report!  For the first time this year I was able to put the garbage out just wearing pants and a tee shirt.  No coat, no sweater or hoodie.  Now it feels like late spring!!  

• Like 30

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute nurses, and hope that includes the Nurse Practitioner who treated me yesterday.  I don't think it is a syndrome but think fatigue seems to go with my age.  I enjoy limericks.  I think the Monroe quote sounds a bit strange.  I've been to Agadir once, I think it was on the Wind Star.  The meal sounds a bit spicy to me.   My alternative is Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, Garden Wedge Salad with Grilled Chicken, and Strawberry Ice Cream, as served on  the Embarkation Lunch on my 2014 Veendam Bermuda cruise that began 5/16/14.

Today’s care list:

Mr. Boston’s neighbor sudden death
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL back in hospital with infection
Horizon Chaser 1957 in covid  quaraantine
smitty34877 DD  knee surgery 5/12
Rough nights for Tana
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove DDIL with covid while Heartgrove needs to visit older sister
Cruising-along friend in hospital with covid
Mamaofami with insurance bureaucracy
From the rotation:
Ukraine
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

New Zealand reopening
Zaandam in Everglades

zdpickup.thumb.JPG.97c98d2dde414c79987eec3dbb12515d.JPG
Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Sea Viewer brother visiting until May 12
Cruzin Terri quiet day in Rome
Welcome back marshhawk
Overhead Fred settled in cottage
Hal Sailor with distant family
Ancientwanderer (Eurodam to 5/14),   leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15), St Pete Cruiser (Wind Surf to 5/17) and Lady Hudson (Oasis OTS 5/8 to 5/22)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 12

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

Nurses are incredible. We can't thank them enough.

The quote from Marilyn is hauntingly sad.

Looks like another beautiful day here.

Stay safe everyone

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 32

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute nurses, and hope that includes the Nurse Practitioner who treated me yesterday.  I don't think it is a syndrome but think fatigue seems to go with my age.  I enjoy limericks.  I think the Monroe quote sounds a bit strange.  I've been to Agadir once, I think it was on the Wind Star.  The meal sounds a bit spicy to me.   My alternative is Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, Garden Wedge Salad with Grilled Chicken, and Strawberry Ice Cream, as served on  the Embarkation Lunch on my 2014 Veendam Bermuda cruise that began 5/16/14.

Today’s care list:

Mr. Boston’s neighbor sudden death
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL back in hospital with infection
Horizon Chaser 1957 in covid  quaraantine
smitty34877 DD  knee surgery 5/12
Rough nights for Tana
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove DDIL with covid while Heartgrove needs to visit older sister
Cruising-along friend in hospital with covid
Mamaofami with insurance bureaucracy
From the rotation:
Ukraine
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

New Zealand reopening
Zaandam in Everglades

zdpickup.thumb.JPG.97c98d2dde414c79987eec3dbb12515d.JPG
Volendam housing refugees
All but 1 BHB with guests
Sea Viewer brother visiting until May 12
Cruzin Terri quiet day in Rome
Welcome back marshhawk
Overhead Fred settled in cottage
Hal Sailor with distant family
Ancientwanderer (Eurodam to 5/14),   leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15), St Pete Cruiser (Wind Surf to 5/17) and Lady Hudson (Oasis OTS 5/8 to 5/22)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Pleased to hear your nurse practitioner looked after you well yesterday.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 20

Good morning, everyone.

Another beautiful day has dawned here in northeast Ohio.  We are supposed to have mostly sunny skies and highs in the low 80s.  After cleaning both the front and back decks yesterday, I am going to seal them today.  I also meet with the surgeon this afternoon to go over the ultrasound results and devise a plan of action.  It is time to do something other than test. Kudos to @HAL Sailer for making the trip to see family.  It sounds like you did a great job breaking the driving up so it wasn't overwhelming in one or two days.  I'm also happy to see @Overhead Fred made it to his Canadian cottage.  I remember the first year of the pandemic when he couldn't go.  Welcome home, @marshhawk.  

@rafinmd , today's meal isn't spicy at all.  It could be high in carbs if you use regular tortillas, but there are low carb alternatives out there.  The basic recipe is just mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil with a touch of olive oil.  You can add Greek olives and/or chicken if you wish.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grilled-caprese-quesadillas/

1479418759_grilledcapresequesadilla1.jpg.403bca2047f5f9a118fd967f78bb938d.jpg

This is really very simple to make and an excellent variation on grilled cheese.  If you don't want to "grill" it, you can always give it a quick turn on the griddle or in a fry pan.  Here's one that includes chicken:  https://www.pumpkinnspice.com/chicken-caprese-quesadillas/

1903874862_grilledcapresequesadilla2.thumb.jpg.1cb6e38f85fb64b5500994a174e4896c.jpg

This one uses grated mozzarella cheese and two tortillas per quesadilla.   https://weelicious.com/caprese-quesadilla/

1960126031_grilledcapresequesadilla3.thumb.jpg.9e899ccf4e2aa7edba95356aeef7b904.jpg

This next recipe shows that you can make this anything you want with the ingredients you want. This one features shrimp and pesto along with the mozzarella and tomato.   https://www.closetcooking.com/pesto-grilled-shrimp-caprese-quesadillas/

1774479473_grilledcapresequesadilla4.jpg.66138bcc67cfa26cd2a8e6ea9a186a70.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members going through tough times.   @Heartgrove I hope Covid does not prevent you from visiting your sister.   Cheers to all who are celebrating.  @Cruzin Terri it sounds like you have licked Covid and can finally enjoy your vacation.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

Yesterday was a very busy day but not a very pleasant one with 2 major errands.  

I’ve had a bit of stuffiness in my right ear for some time.  I saw my primary doctor in mid-February and he wrote a couple of prescriptions but they didn’t really help.  It isn’t actually bothering me but I think would be quite nasty if I had to fly and called Monday.  This time I saw the nurse practitioner and she removed a small amount of solid manner and also noticed a fluid and prescribed an antibiotic.  I hope this will be the charm.

The morning visit was a little over 2 hours at a funeral home.  Now significantly poorer, I do have a pre-paid plan for what will happen when I am no longer here (memorial services, cremation, and ashes interred with my parents in central Florida).  Something I have not wanted to do and procrastinated seriously.  I think I was pushed over the edge by Jose’s rapid decline.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 11

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida. 

Thanks to all the nurses including the best one I know who is my wife, over 40 years giving TLC to her patients including being a  supervisor in an  intensive care unit for over 20 years.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

Another beautiful day has dawned here in northeast Ohio.  We are supposed to have mostly sunny skies and highs in the low 80s.  After cleaning both the front and back decks yesterday, I am going to seal them today.  I also meet with the surgeon this afternoon to go over the ultrasound results and devise a plan of action.  It is time to do something other than test. Kudos to @HAL Sailer for making the trip to see family.  It sounds like you did a great job breaking the driving up so it wasn't overwhelming in one or two days.  I'm also happy to see @Overhead Fred made it to his Canadian cottage.  I remember the first year of the pandemic when he couldn't go.  Welcome home, @marshhawk.  

@rafinmd , today's meal isn't spicy at all.  It could be high in carbs if you use regular tortillas, but there are low carb alternatives out there.  The basic recipe is just mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil with a touch of olive oil.  You can add Greek olives and/or chicken if you wish.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grilled-caprese-quesadillas/

1479418759_grilledcapresequesadilla1.jpg.403bca2047f5f9a118fd967f78bb938d.jpg

This is really very simple to make and an excellent variation on grilled cheese.  If you don't want to "grill" it, you can always give it a quick turn on the griddle or in a fry pan.  Here's one that includes chicken:  https://www.pumpkinnspice.com/chicken-caprese-quesadillas/

1903874862_grilledcapresequesadilla2.thumb.jpg.1cb6e38f85fb64b5500994a174e4896c.jpg

This one uses grated mozzarella cheese and two tortillas per quesadilla.   https://weelicious.com/caprese-quesadilla/

1960126031_grilledcapresequesadilla3.thumb.jpg.9e899ccf4e2aa7edba95356aeef7b904.jpg

This next recipe shows that you can make this anything you want with the ingredients you want. This one features shrimp and pesto along with the mozzarella and tomato.   https://www.closetcooking.com/pesto-grilled-shrimp-caprese-quesadillas/

1774479473_grilledcapresequesadilla4.jpg.66138bcc67cfa26cd2a8e6ea9a186a70.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members going through tough times.   @Heartgrove I hope Covid does not prevent you from visiting your sister.   Cheers to all who are celebrating.  @Cruzin Terri it sounds like you have licked Covid and can finally enjoy your vacation.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Good luck with the surgeon today Debbie and hopefully you can finally get a proper action plan for treatment for your pain.

Thank you for all the lovely food photos.

Graham.

• Like 21

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Yesterday was a very busy day but not a very pleasant one with 2 major errands.  

I’ve had a bit of stuffiness in my right ear for some time.  I saw my primary doctor in mid-February and he wrote a couple of prescriptions but they didn’t really help.  It isn’t actually bothering me but I think would be quite nasty if I had to fly and called Monday.  This time I saw the nurse practitioner and she removed a small amount of solid manner and also noticed a fluid and prescribed an antibiotic.  I hope this will be the charm.

The morning visit was a little over 2 hours at a funeral home.  Now significantly poorer, I do have a pre-paid plan for what will happen when I am no longer here (memorial services, cremation, and ashes interred with my parents in central Florida).  Something I have not wanted to do and procrastinated seriously.  I think I was pushed over the edge by Jose’s rapid decline.

Roy

I hope your treatment works Roy.

Prayers 🙏 it is a very long time before your pre paid plan is needed.

Graham.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thank you today’s Daily, Rich! Morning all. Another cool, lovely morning here! It was cool enough here last evening that Bindi & I cuddled under a big beach towel while sitting out on the deck. The Nor’easter’s winds were wild.

Yesterday was a fairly normal day. What a relief.  My HVAC folk had to reschedule to this afternoon, then I am getting together with friends for some snacks & wine. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy!

My nephew, a pilot, sent this one to me… he assured me this was NOT him. 😎

E14B3638-D9F4-4CFF-8613-B34E18DC26F4.jpeg.dee3240a4f42eb64892db11ffd9b38f9.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support.  Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Cotes de Provence, France

Well today’s wine led me on a wild goose chase, since it is a wine region. But I have learned a bit about this wine region. And I chose this particular wine because rosé wines are what this region is famous for, the price was reasonable, and the blend included a grape variety that I had never heard of before - Rolle. All released vintages have very good ratings. And it is even available at Walmart. Prices start at $19.98.

Chateau d'Esclans Cotes de Provence Whispering Angel Rose 

cotes-de-provence-rose-2011-chateau-d-esclans-cotes-de-provence-whispering-angel-rose.jpg

This Provençal wine is a blend of Grenache, Rolle (Vermentino), Cinsault, Syrah and Mourvedre. 

This light pink wine has strong strawberry, pepper, and citrus notes followed by a slight aftertaste of anise and bright acidity.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Good morning.  It's a bright but chilly morning.  I've been feeling fatigued lately, but don't think it's a syndrome.  Nurses are so important, everyday should be their day.  I find some limerick's funny, but most not.

I like the Monroe quote, she was an interesting person.

The meal looks wonderful.  We  have not been to today's destination.

As always, your meal looks so good @grapau27

Roy, continued prayers for your good health.

Good luck this afternoon Debbie.  Hopefully it is good news.

Roy, we have to do the same about after life arrangements.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to stay safe, use caution, and wear your mask.

French 75:

French 75 is a cocktail made from gin, champagne, lemon juice, and sugar. It is also called a 75 Cocktail, or in French simply a Soixante Quinze. The drink dates to World War I, and an early form was created in 1915 at the New York Bar in Paris—later Harry's New York Bar—by barman Harry MacElhone. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Champagne
Ingredients: 1 oz Gin, 1/2 oz Lemon juice, 2 Dashes Simple syrup, 2 oz Champagne
Preparation: Combine gin, syrup, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into an iced champagne glass. Top up with Champagne. Stir gently.
Drinkware: Champagne flute
Served: Straight up; without ice

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 7.49.50 AM.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all.

A few pics from Rovinj, Croatia, our port after Venice.

The old city was built on a strategic hill overlooking the sea. Not sure if Holland America stops here, it is a tender port. Maybe Prinsendam? One of the officers on the Surf worked on Prinsendam with both Captain Gunderson and Chris Turner. Gede, who is matre'd on Surf, also began on Holland America. I feel the love for "our line" when I talked to them.

20220510_155028.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning Dailyites!  I'm getting used to being home, but not so used to having fix every meal again.  It is much easier to read a menu with great sea food options, than to sit in the den, planning a weeks worth of meals.  I don't mind cooking, but then hate the cleaning up, and this week, I'm catching up with work hours, which only allows me an hour and a half to fix it, eat it, clean up after it, and then going back on the phones.  

We went to the farmers market and bought two steaks, and havent had the time to fix them, as both of us are working the night shift.  Maybe tomorrow, as DH has another follow up with his oncologist regarding the pain in his mouth, which still persists even with the drugs.  He wont be working tomorrow, so maybe he can grill them, and I can eat while working.🙀

Don't like the quote.  Is it really a quote, or a poetic statement regarding a state of mind?

51752384.jpg

• Like 31
  • Haha 3

Good morning friends!  It was a warmer 57F at dawn but we stayed home to exercise because we have DH's oral surgeon appointment coming up in a couple hours.  He has to set an alarm to take his antibiotics one hour ahead of time.  Hopefully all will go as planned.  @smitty34877Terry good luck to your DD as she has her knee surgery today.  Prayers for a fast, full recovery for her.  @rafinmdRoy, I bet you feel relieved to have the funeral pre-planning taken care of now.  I hate those major chores hanging over my head.  You should plan something fun to reward yourself for getting it all done. 

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily.  I think the Monroe quote is really sad.  The quesadillas look good though.  Fatigue syndrome sounds bad and I'm glad I don't have it.  Just the usual tiredness is enough for me.  Cheers to all the nurses who are so important in the health care system.  I like limericks but haven't heard a new one in quite some time.  We have never had Agadir, Morocco as our destination of the day on the Daily which surprised me.  Went there twice so have some photos but will have to see how much time I have to share with you.

Roy @rafinmdthanks for the Care and Celebration lists today.  Prayers said for Ukraine, the Daily Care list, and my recovering family members.🙏  Cheers to all the Celebration list people.  To everyone, enjoy this wonderful spring day.❤️

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2