Have steward clean room or not?

Kitty Ellas Mom

11 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

What will I be missing if I skip room cleaning for a 7 day cruise?  My cruise on the Majestic in June to Alaska will be my 1st cruise.  Since the pandemic started DH and I have skipped all hotel service (when in hotels on land) and instead have taken out our own trash and requested new towels every day.  It's annoying but it does save having another person coming into our room who could bring the virus.  But I get the impression that it's more service on a cruise beyond just cleaning--for example, they bring the paper Princess Patter if you want it, and I do want one.   If I skip this service on my cruise what will I be missing out on?

I'm on the Emerald at present and having a great time with a serviced cabin.

I respect your concerns but I really wonder if you are that worried whether cruising is the right hobby for you at this time.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I should have added that, during covid, when we've gone to hotels we've wiped down every surface (not the walls, but touchable surfaces) with disinfecting wipes.  It is a huge chore and the thought of doing it every day after the steward sounds difficult.  I realize that this may sound a bit extreme but once we got our hotel room sanitized we truly felt like it was our safe space vs the rest of the hotel.  But cruising seems different with a much higher level of service.  Also, I just hate having to hide all my things every day.  

I seriously doubt that the steward is going to come into your cabin and steal your stuff.  I also doubt if the possibility of them losing their job is worth the value of your stuff.  What are they going to do with the stuff they steal if they do take it.  The value of fenced stolen goods is minimal.

DON

• Like 1

To each his own.  Inform your steward of what you'd like when you get on board.  If your comfort level is no servicing, request it.  What anyone else thinks is none of their business.  Enjoy your vacation in the way that feels safest to YOU!

Edited by Jmox84
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Why would you hide things? Are you talking about valuables? I can assure you that the room stewards would never take anything. I have left jewelry, cash and credit cards laying around and it is always carefully left within plain view. If I rush out and leave my makeup in a mess it is neatly arranged when I return. Clothes are folded and sunglasses are neatly stacked on the book by my bed. There is a safe in the room for anything you want to keep secure - we only ever use it to store our passports so we know where they are at all times. 

Totally disagree with the statement that the room steward would NEVER take anything. The safe is there for a reason and once, on a Celebrity cruise, I left my tanzanite and diamond dinner ring on the desk.  It was a few days before I noticed it was gone, admitted it was my fault for not putting it in the safe, and asked the room steward to do a thorough search in case it had fallen behind something.  No luck.  Security got involved and the cabin was searched top to bottom.  The ring was found inside a Bernard Passman bag.  However, that bag was only brought onto the ship DAYS AFTER the ring went missing.  We assume he stashed it once he realized an official investigation was going to take place.

5 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I should have added that, during covid, when we've gone to hotels we've wiped down every surface (not the walls, but touchable surfaces) with disinfecting wipes.  It is a huge chore and the thought of doing it every day after the steward sounds difficult.  I realize that this may sound a bit extreme but once we got our hotel room sanitized we truly felt like it was our safe space vs the rest of the hotel.  But cruising seems different with a much higher level of service.  Also, I just hate having to hide all my things every day.  

Post #16 @karatemom2hits the nail on the head. I do put my cash, passports and expensive jewelry in the safe. My iPad will just get tucked in a drawer as I can locate it using FindMy ap if it should walk away. I keep my counters clear of clutter (those strong little magnets with hooks are amazing at holding stuff on the walls!).

The reason for these protocols is three fold: it reduces my room steward’s work, creates a safer environment for my steward in that they can’t be falsely accused if I lose something or someone other than my steward enters my room and takes something. A room steward is in serious jeopardy if something goes missing from one of the cabins they attend to. I trust them completely.  I’ve come back to my room to find maintenance being done & my room steward nowhere in sight.  You are supposed to be informed before hand & your steward should be there when anyone else is in the room but that doesn’t always happen.  I have a little less faith in the obscure person who might come in for another purpose. But my room steward? No worries. 

On the first day I show my steward a designated spot where I will leave anything I want them to take away…..glassware, dishes etc. That way if I’ve left a half empty glass of sparkling water or a glass of wine out or anything else that I would like to finish later it is not disposed of. 

Everyone transitions out of the pandemic (or not) at their own pace.  So do what you need to be comfortable.  However well you might clean the room in general, those bed linens really need to get changed every 3 days (that’s the pattern in cabins except full suites which get changed daily). The body oils, sloughed off skin cells and mites (yes you have them everyone does) you shed need to be removed so they don’t  migrate to the mattress that I might be sleeping on when you leave. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, skynight said:

If I skip this service on my cruise what will I be missing out on?

The level of service is one of the things that attracts people to cruise lines. 

clean bathroom, fill shower soap, new bars of hand soap, replace toilet paper rolls, clean sheets, make the bed, take out the trash (there is no place to dump trash yourself and it is separated by the cabin steward), new clean towels, vacuum, dust, outside cabin clean the glass, any notices or paperwork will be kind of attached to your door if not placed in your cabin.

And keep your ice bucket filled!

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I seriously doubt that the steward is going to come into your cabin and steal your stuff.  I also doubt if the possibility of them losing their job is worth the value of your stuff.  What are they going to do with the stuff they steal if they do take it.  The value of fenced stolen goods is minimal.

DON

Not to mention where would he/she store the stolen stuff?  Small crew cabins are shared with at least one cabin mate.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses.  I realize that I am coming off as naive and a bit paranoid here, but I am glad I brought up the discussion b/c you've given me some insight I didn't have.  I will add that I have a family member at home I need to be protective of so I'd like to do everything I can to avoid getting sick / our family sick.  I myself am relatively healthy and have good odds of not getting covid, for a lot of reasons.  I would not have chosen this trip now except that  I booked it 3 yrs ago and it was rescheduled multiple times;  it's with a group so if I miss it now whatever I rescheduled later would not be "the trip" I've looked forward to for so long.  DH really wants me to go.  I know that surface contact isn't a major mode of transmission of covid but I also want to avoid things like flu and norovirus.  I am already planning to mask, avoid elevators,  eat a lot of meals in my room (maybe....will see how it goes....) etc.  I don't mind things like eating very late or going to the 2nd show etc.  I got a balcony so that I can have fresh air and things to look at in case I want to hole up in there sometimes.  Based on your responses I think I will get the steward service and see how it goes.  It does sound very different than a hotel.  I am perhaps feeling more protective of my things since I'm a solo traveler so I will only have one of everything, so if it's gone I don't have a partner with another one.

• Like 1

We have been on nine cruises since August. Not once have we felt like our cabin steward put us at risk. This is an airborne virus and there will be many more exposures than your cabin being cleaned.

• Like 1

Thank you OP for returning to your thread.  I understand that COVID is an airborne virus.  But, I still wipe down the stateroom with 70%+ alcohol wipes.  These are the most effective towards unwelcome “visitors”.  I also wear my mask when I interact with my steward or whoever else comes into the cabin for repairs.  

You will find that returning to a freshly made up room is a very pleasant experience.  Now, if only, they brought back those nightly chocolates.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Your room steward is masked with a KN95, tested frequently and is not in the room with you at the same time. Any exposure from him or her would be virtually nonexistent.

I agree with what you say but have to admit our cabin steward tested positive and disappeared a day after my husband did. I felt awful about it (though he could have been the first to be infected, who knows) because I really tried to keep him safe. But despite being promised additional information on the Ruby Princess about housekeeping and food protocols for me as a close contact, I never received them. I felt like I was far more concerned about our steward’s health than Princess was.  At my insistence our cabin was cleaned one time by the hazmat crew. But my dishes (from eating in the cabin) were removed by our steward…until he tested positive. It’s a really contagious variant. 

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

You do know that the chances of contracting Covid via surface transmission are virtually zero ?

Some people are still reacting as if there has been no knowledge gained since the start of the pandemic. I remember when my DW would worry every time I went grocery shopping and insist that every item I bought was wiped down with disinfectant wipes (which were hard to find at the time.) And don't get me started on what if the mail in the mailbox is infected. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, akeasley said:

It's sad that you feel like you need to hide your things from people who would never think to touch them. If you're that worried, than you probably shouldn't have someone service your room during your cruise. 

so true!  I usually have a stack of $1 and $5 bills next to my nightstand so I always have tipping money for room service tips on hand along with a container full of individually wrapped chocolates.  I’ve never counted the bills but have never even noticed any cash missing … ever!  We’ve left our iPads and phones charging and they were also never touched.  I’m not reckless with my things but trust the room stewards will never touch anything that doesn’t belong to them.  

• Like 3

We were on a cruise several years ago where our cabin steward accidentally left our cabin door open after he was finished cleaning.  We returned from an excursion to find our cabin door propped open and nobody around.  While I trust that our cabin steward would not steal from us, there are other ways for theft to happen.  Our cabin steward sincerely apologized and was mortified that had happened, we accepted his apology and moved on.  We always put our property away in drawers or suitcases and use the safe, this just makes sense to us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

eat a lot of meals in my room

If you won't let the steward into your cabin, then logically you should also not let the room service staff into your cabin either.  

wowzz, the difference is that when someone is cleaning I don't know what all they've touched and I would feel the need to clean it again.  And I think the room service people could possibly leave things outside or I could meet them outside.  I don't know--I've never been on a cruise before and am just trying to learn as much as possible before embarkation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

wowzz, the difference is that when someone is cleaning I don't know what all they've touched and I would feel the need to clean it again.  And I think the room service people could possibly leave things outside or I could meet them outside.  I don't know--I've never been on a cruise before and am just trying to learn as much as possible before embarkation.

In my experience room service will not leave trays outside for you to pick up.  They insist on bringing it into the room and placing it on the table for you. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

OK, i understand. It can't be easy going anywhere with ocd, so I admire your determination. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey OP - a couple of things:

1. You are completely entitled to cruise the way you want to, no need to justify it. If you want to forego cleaning for a week, simply discuss with your cabin attendant on day one and see what they can do, or what else they can suggest. I would think they would do all they can to accomodate your needs and maybe they can suggest a compromise that would make you happy.

2. I hope you take the feedback as more reassurance that things will be fine rather than people insulting you for wanting to be different - at least most of the responses I've seen are in that vein.

• Like 2

Not sure if this was mentioned and not going back to read the posts again but the room steward now only cleans once a day, for the most part.   You can tell the room steward if you want morning or evening cleaning.  

As far as room service on our April cruise I met room service at the door and took the tray.   They did not come into the cabin.   If you can handle the tray easily then do so, or not.   Just have a good time and try not to stress too much. 

I'd guess you're more likely to pick something up in crowded dirty airports and airplanes (especially now that the mandates are lifted) and pass it to your steward than catching something from something your steward touched.  

But if you don't want service or very limited they might welcome the break.  One less cabin to service.  On my recent cruise I thought I didn't select evening turndown on the medallion app but my steward did it all the nights I didn't have the do not disturb on.

Edited by SomewhereGirl

If you do decline service please keep your gratuity in place for the steward though. They really rely on those tips and there may be an assumption if you decline service that you plan to remove gratuities as well. So if you do opt out of service be sure your steward knows that he/she won’t be financially harmed. I’m sure they would still be happy to drop by daily and pick up dirty towels and leave clean towels. That would be about the minimal you could get by with I would guess. 

• Like 1

From Princess' FAQ page.  OP,  make whatever decision you'd like.  Clearly Princess is okay with ANY frequency of cleaning from the full 2x daily to none at all.  Let's move on...🙄

How will our staterooms be cleaned?

Stateroom stewards will ask guests at the beginning of the cruise their preferences regarding cleaning frequency: twice a day, skip turndown cleaning or opt not to have any cleaning service during their cruise. Guests can always request cleaning service using the portal outside of the stateroom or through OceanNow in the MedallionClass app.

• Thanks 1