What attire do people wear for RC's formal nights?

1 hour ago, BND said:

They have never explained what "Dress your best" actually means.  Does it mean dress the best you own, or dress the best you brought with you?  If it's the latter, then there is no dress code of any kind.

It means "if you want to go formal, this is the night, but since more and more people don't like to dress up anymore, wear whatever you want"

• Like 2

Just now, smokeybandit said:

It means "if you want to go formal, this is the night, but since more and more people don't like to dress up anymore, wear whatever you want"

Not exactly what ever you want.    They don’t want you wearing swim attire on formal night.  That’s about the only reason the have those.  

I wasnt aware it was a formal night and i walked up to the gate keeper at the main dining room . I informed him i wasnt going to eat in the dining room as i didnt feel like putting on a sports jacket ( which i had packed ) and was going to the buffet . He assured me it was not required and told me i was welcome to come in with shorts and a polo shirt. This was on the Allure a couple of years ago .

I dont pack a jacket anymore . Long pants and collared shirt it is .

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It means whatever someone wants it to mean.  Your best can be what you own or what you brought with you.  My question is more the reality of it's not clear and 
"your best" isn't defined in any way.  I was being facetious by the way.

Edited by BND

I took a coat and tie for formal nights for years but stopped talking the coat before Covid and have not looked back.  Smart Casual is what I wear every night in the dining room formal night or not.  That said on our last cruise the formal nights were the most casual I have seen.  Very few suits or tux and lost of very casual looks even saw some shorts.  

16 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

From our Allure cruise last month, from both formal nights.

we are doing Alaska in August and plan to do it up a little more. I have a few full length dresses I ordered on sale early on in the pandemic and look forward to debuting them.2A48F579-DCCC-4739-B751-1280842605C4.thumb.jpeg.07d752b3cb58ca29127a71660d0208ce.jpeg4163A08D-B085-4756-AFB3-D458DFCA5759.thumb.jpeg.fc4cc18b035ab13b56d297b45cf5db77.jpeg

when we cruised Alaska a few years back we found it less formal than any other cruise we had been on.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

From our Allure cruise last month, from both formal nights.

we are doing Alaska in August and plan to do it up a little more. I have a few full length dresses I ordered on sale early on in the pandemic and look forward to debuting them.2A48F579-DCCC-4739-B751-1280842605C4.thumb.jpeg.07d752b3cb58ca29127a71660d0208ce.jpeg4163A08D-B085-4756-AFB3-D458DFCA5759.thumb.jpeg.fc4cc18b035ab13b56d297b45cf5db77.jpeg

Off topic, but...............................

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125030313220?hash=item1d1c632d04:g:6RIAAOSw0vhhqDRK

8 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Actually no.   Flip flops won’t work on formal night.   

Why not?  I’ve worn them on all 10 cruises since the restart.

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317

I’ve found Alaska cruises are more casual.  I think it’s because most of the luggage space is taken up with heavier clothes.  Jeans take up more room than shorts, no room for fancy clothes.

• Like 1

Varies- more then half wear cocktail attire- others vary-

We wear cocktail attire- especially now as to celebrate our return to cruising   Have looked like a slob for almost two years!   While the pandemic isn't over- we are going on a cruise.  Now the butterflies are coming out of their cocoons!  

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Haha 1

I must just go on different cruises.  The idea that formal night is dead or dying is very far removed from my experience.  Every cruise I have been on I see the majority of men in jackets and ties on formal night.  I honestly think that CC is not representative of what actually happens.  To me, it appears there is a very vocal minority that try to project there anti-formalwear bias on all who ask questions about it on this forum. 

• Like 3

Ooooohhhh…I love me another good ‘ole “let me tell you how to dress on a cruise” thread. 😉

Just returned from Ovation of the Seas Alaska cruise.  Dress was indeed all over the map.  Saw one couple in a Tux and Gown. They were waiting in a long line at one of the MDRs.  While, not particularly worried about the guy, but the nice looking lady was clearly uncomfortable in heels standing in line for what was probably 45 minutes before being seated.  I kept thinking….”nice dress up, but is it worth it to just wait in line?”

I’ve sailed many different lines, and observed many different designated “dress up” nights (which are always deemed optional).  I have never seen anyone in torn shorts/shirts in the MDRs…on ANY night.

Bottom line, if you want to dress up, please do.  I’ve long since shed my tux, suits, even my ties and button collared shirts on a cruise.  As much as possible, I only take carry-ons with me, which requires me to leave any frivolous dress items at home.  Plus, with baggage fees being what they are, it’s really an unnecessary additional cost to check bags these days.

The way anyone else dresses is of no concern to me.  If my mode of dress is of concern to anyone else, that is their problem, not mine.

26 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I must just go on different cruises.  The idea that formal night is dead or dying is very far removed from my experience.  Every cruise I have been on I see the majority of men in jackets and ties on formal night.  I honestly think that CC is not representative of what actually happens.  To me, it appears there is a very vocal minority that try to project there anti-formalwear bias on all who ask questions about it on this forum. 

And every cruise I have been on in the 5 years or so pre-covid (all Caribbean & one Alaska) has been very mixed, definitely no majority wearing jackets. You think I'm lying when I say this? LOL.

No need to protect any anti-formal wear bias. I personally could care less what anyone else wears. I'm there for the food.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Ooooohhhh…I love me another good ‘ole “let me tell you how to dress on a cruise” thread. 😉

Just returned from Ovation of the Seas Alaska cruise.  Dress was indeed all over the map.  Saw one couple in a Tux and Gown. They were waiting in a long line at one of the MDRs.  While, not particularly worried about the guy, but the nice looking lady was clearly uncomfortable in heels standing in line for what was probably 45 minutes before being seated.  I kept thinking….”nice dress up, but is it worth it to just wait in line?”

Most women I saw in formal long dresses had flat or near flat shoes.  Heels are never a good idea on a cruise.  Too easy to slip on some of the floors (marble) or fall when there are rough seas.  Highest heel I have ever worn on a cruise is about 2 inches and not a skinny one and maybe 3 inches on land.  I wear only flats now everywhere (mainly due to knee injury that's still not 100%) but on cruises, I've always worn mostly flats.   It makes me laugh to watch most women try to walk in high heels, especially really skinny heels.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

It’s funny… some of the regulars on the boards are against following Covid protocols because they don’t like to be told what to do, but are so much in favor of following suggested dress codes and judge the people who choose to dress casual.  🤪

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Vibe said:

It’s funny… some of the regulars on the boards are against following Covid protocols because they don’t like to be told what to do, but are so much in favor of following suggested dress codes and judge the people who choose to dress casual.  🤪

Point to the post of this thread that judges people for choosing to dress casual. 

I am old enough to remember wearing a tux but that was many cruises ago.  On our March, 2022 cruise on EOS I wore a dark suit and tie and Kathy wore black gown.  You'll find every combination of dress as there is absolutely zero enforcement of any type of dress codes anywhere on the ship.  I wore a uniform with a tie for 41 years of my life and several nights more doesn't make a difference.  That said it doesn't bother us how others choose to dress as it's there cruise and we hope they enjoy it.

Bill

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CherylCT said:

This may be a silly question but this will be our first RC cruise.  How do you know which night is a formal night?  We cruise at the end of July.

Not silly at all. It depends on the length of cruise and itinerary.

For 3 or 4-night cruises, it's night 2.

For 7-night cruises, it's usually either 2 or 3 (whichever is a sea day) and then night 6.

I'm not familiar with other lengths so others will have to chime in.

Another way to check is by looking at MDR menus in the app. Formal nights will have beef tenderloin on the 1st and lobster on the 2nd.

*NOTE: This is based on my knowledge of US sailings almost always to the Caribbean so if my answers don't apply, someone will have to chime in to correct me.

• Like 1