No more OTC meds in shops!

jratly

Just an FYI in case you are packing for your Celebrity cruise to take any OTC meds you may need with you!  Items previously available for purchase on board are no longer available such as Tylenol, Advil, Pepto Bismal, Robitussin, etc.  You must see the ship's doctor to get any of these.  Their explanation of course is that you may have symptoms consistent with Covid.  That seems to be going a little too far.  No one will go to the ship's doctor for Tylenol.

• Like 2

That makes sense.  I know on our last cruise aboard Infinity there was a vending machine for medicine and bandaids located outside the dispensary.  So that is gone, too?

Or perhaps Celebrity is going to market a medical package to go with the Drink and WiFi packages.

image.thumb.jpeg.10d9a850e133e664dd82bb612eb0f54d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.eeafbabedaaa72fd1332e43bb4997f02.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

Never could figure out why pre Covid  folks wouldn’t pack some things like Advil, cough meds, bandaids and antibiotics.  We never leave for a trip ( land or sea) without  them. 

• Like 10

Just now, jelayne said:

Never could figure out why pre Covid  folks wouldn’t pack some things like Advil, cough meds, bandaids and antibiotics.  We never leave for a trip ( land or sea) without  them. 

I agree.  Sounds like now they can be used as onboard currency.

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We have a "traveling pharmacy" with us on our cruises.  It only took once for my husband to get sick on a translantic cruise!

• Like 6

Yes, vending machines are gone!

I'm sure most people pack these things but, like me, sometimes forget a thing or two.

Edited by jratly
  • Like 1

I guess that the following list of suggested OTC meds by a recent Roll Call not longer seems like overkill!

OTC Meds

Aspirin
Anti-diarrheal
Tylenol
Motril/Advil
Excedrin
Allergy (clariton)
Allergy Nasal Spray
Mucinex
Cough Medicine
Probiotic
Anti-diarrheal
Antacid
GasX
DairyEase
Airborne
Benadryl
Benadryl Cream
Neosporin
Hydrocortisone Cream
Vitamins
Bandaids
Antibacterial eye drops
Allergy eye drops
Vicks VapoRub
Tums
anti-itch cream
Nose Strips
meds for constipation
Motion sicknes medication

The one time I did not pack OTC cold meds we were on a 12 night Caribbean itinerary when a really nasty cold was going around. Both my husband and I caught it, and I ended up paying $20 for a bottle of Nyquil in the Celebrity gift shop. Oddly enough they kept the OTC stuff out of sight in a cabinet - I had to ask if they had any. I now bring a small packing cube with our emergency supplies - it keeps them easier to locate.

I noticed all the usual items I remembered from previous cruises were not for sale on board Reflection this month, toiletries etc. I mentioned it to a member of staff in the shop and they said it is now in Duty Free!! But when he led us there he needed to open a cupboard and that is where things were, not on display. Not sure what else was in that cupboard, but I saw tooothpaste, sweets etc. So maybe some basic meds? Indigestion etc. I wish I had taken more notice now.

I usually pack a small first aide assortment. However, sometimes you just need something.  Yes , it is expensive. However, there are times when you need somethings.  Thought you packed it or just ran out.  Things that i have bought on ships include toothpaste, band aides,  deodorant, dental floss, benadryl, and tampons.  Those tampons should have been golden at the price that they charged. If you need them, you need them.  You think that you pack enough, but you ran out. It happens.  None of these should require a trip to the medical facility. 

• Like 2

I noticed this with Dramamine last summer on the Summit.  You used to be able to pick that up in the shops or GS, but since the restart, even seasickness means a trip to the Medical folks.

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

I noticed all the usual items I remembered from previous cruises were not for sale on board Reflection this month, toiletries etc. I mentioned it to a member of staff in the shop and they said it is now in Duty Free!! But when he led us there he needed to open a cupboard and that is where things were, not on display. Not sure what else was in that cupboard, but I saw tooothpaste, sweets etc. So maybe some basic meds? Indigestion etc. I wish I had taken more notice now.

I specifically asked about this in the Beyond shops as I couldn t see any items if these kinds and in view of a planned TA.   And they confirmed that they were not selling this anymore at all.

13 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I agree.  Sounds like now they can be used as onboard currency.

Great idea! I always travel with OTC meds and first aid supplies. I’ll fund my cocktails with the money I make from my “mobile shop”. Look for the woman wearing a photographer’s vest - wink wink - seated at one of the bars😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Humor aside (see my previous post) I always carry any OTC meds, first aid supplies and toiletries I think my DH and I will need. I have never relied on the cruise line, even for meclizine. On my cruises since the shutdown, I’ve packed extra supplies. I have never visited Medical aboard a ship, and I’d like to keep it that way. It’s ridiculous for Celebrity to force well people to risk contagion for minor issues. Sometimes a headache is just a headache.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, fsr44 said:

I noticed this with Dramamine last summer on the Summit.  You used to be able to pick that up in the shops or GS, but since the restart, even seasickness means a trip to the Medical folks.

You used to get it free at guest relations. That’s probably gone too.  Bring your own meds.  

20 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

What's next? Mandatory confiscation if you bring your own on board??

Followed by drug mules, surprise inspection of cabins, etc.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, mahdnc said:

That makes sense.  I know on our last cruise aboard Infinity there was a vending machine for medicine and bandaids located outside the dispensary.  So that is gone, too?

Or perhaps Celebrity is going to market a medical package to go with the Drink and WiFi packages.

image.thumb.jpeg.10d9a850e133e664dd82bb612eb0f54d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.eeafbabedaaa72fd1332e43bb4997f02.jpeg

• Like 1