Does Cabin Steward know

Does our cabin steward know whether or not we prepaid our gratuities? We always add to it, especially being in a junior suite.

If we gave him/her cash on our own, do they need to share it with the other cabin stewards?

Thank you 

That's an interesting question.  My understanding is they do know if you have removed automatic gratuities because if so, they are supposed to pool any cash tips. 

I guess there are three situations: auto-added gratuities that RCI will collect from you when your account is settled at the end of the cruise, pre-paid gratuities that you chose to pay for in advance, and "included" gratuities where RCI or your TA awarded them as a promotion.  I think on one cruise where we had "included" gratuities, I asked the steward to verify that we had them settled and he said yes, so maybe they can see the status.  

• Like 1

I remember those "good old days" where you handed cash in an envelope to your steward and MDR staff.  I used to stress over having enough cash so I didn't have to stand in line on the last night to cash a check.  That I do not miss!

• Like 4

On my B2B a couple weeks ago, we were handed envelopes by our Cabin Attendant  on our last full day. Switching to the second cabin, I found 2 envelopes already on the dressing area table.

We last cruised Royal in 2018, so IDK if this was standard procedure.

I remember our first cruise in 1986 — all the tips were paid in envelopes. And we booked via an actual travel agent in our little town! 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I remember those "good old days" where you handed cash in an envelope to your steward and MDR staff.  I used to stress over having enough cash so I didn't have to stand in line on the last night to cash a check.  That I do not miss!

We still handed  additional cash in an envelope to our room attendant and MDR staff even though we pre-paid thru their auto tip system.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

On my B2B a couple weeks ago, we were handed envelopes by our Cabin Attendant  on our last full day. Switching to the second cabin, I found 2 envelopes already on the dressing area table.

We last cruised Royal in 2018, so IDK if this was standard procedure.

I remember our first cruise in 1986 — all the tips were paid in envelopes. And we booked via an actual travel agent in our little town! 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

We always tip the stateroom attendants extra $.  They work so hard.  We were on a B2B on the Brilliance in May and our 2nd stateroom attendant actually left an envelope in our room all filled out with his name on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rudeney said:

On the cruise we just got off of the steward put 3 envelopes in the cabin the night before disembark 

Hadn’t seen those in years 

• Like 1

Yes they do know. They get given a list of those who have prepaid.

On an Indy cruise in 2019 we actually had this card left on our bed along with some extra envelopes.

20190521_115009.jpg

• Like 8

I just cant get behind the concept of prepaid tips. Its just so..illogical.

Paying for exceptional service , um, before receiving such service. Almost becomes a prepaid bribe. Anyhow, I know I am in the exception column here and would get downvoted to oblivion (if this was reddit 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Submariner said:

I just cant get behind the concept of prepaid tips. Its just so..illogical.

Paying for exceptional service , um, before receiving such service. Almost becomes a prepaid bribe. Anyhow, I know I am in the exception column here and would get downvoted to oblivion (if this was reddit 🙂

You aren't wrong, many do not participate

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sunlover2 said:

Does our cabin steward know whether or not we prepaid our gratuities? We always add to it, especially being in a junior suite.

If we gave him/her cash on our own, do they need to share it with the other cabin stewards?

Thank you 

In a word, yes. They have all of that information on their guest manifest (the same list they use to introduce themselves and greet you by your first names).

As for additional cash at the end of the cruise, they are supposed to pool that as well, but I doubt that happens all that often.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You aren't wrong, many do not participate

This surprises me.  We have cruised 35+ times and I have never spoken to anyone that doesn’t participate. To me it is just part of cruising.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

i think that if you have pre=paid, they should not be giving you an additional envelope " for our convenience" . I find that very tacky and would be a real turnoff to give more

I agree with you, we do usually give more but I thought them almost asking for it was a bit of a cheek.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CGinMTL said:

i think that if you have pre=paid, they should not be giving you an additional envelope " for our convenience" . I find that very tacky and would be a real turnoff to give more

Part of the reason for the additional envelopes is for tips for people that aren't included in the prepaid gratuities, like the suite or diamond concierge.

They have been leaving the envelopes for years, it is nothing new, if you don't want to use them, leave them or just throw them out.

• Like 2

One thing I’ve pondered is that since you can remove gratuities if so inclined, what about the grats automatically tacked onto dining and beverage packages?  Could you have them remove grats when buying a package?  

For the record, I never remove gratuities - just a random question.
Wondering what they’d say. 

Edited by HicksRA

3 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

One thing I’ve pondered is that since you can remove gratuities if so inclined, what about the grats automatically tacked onto drink and beverage packages?  Could you have them remove grats when buying a package?  

For the record, I never remove gratuities - just a random question.
Wondering what they’d say. 

They’d say no.

I like to prefer that they keep the cash I give to them.

Since this cruise period, post COVID, is going to be short staffed, we will give our room steward $100 in cash, and $50 to each of the MDR waiters. This gives them encouragement to help us when needed.

The head waiter on our last cruise used to come to our table just before we were leaving, would interrupt the table conversation to tell us the same things that the waiters previously told us earlier on during dinner, but she never really helped us in any way - and often held us up, so he/she, whoever it is this upcoming cruise, will need to just settle for the prepaid grats.

Edited by johnjen

2 hours ago, CGinMTL said:

I disagree.  We always pre-pay our tips and then give extra to those who go above and beyond.  The room steward leaving some envelopes in the room saves me from having to go to Guest Services to pick some up.

I see it as a convenience and for that I am grateful….

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

This surprises me.  We have cruised 35+ times and I have never spoken to anyone that doesn’t participate. To me it is just part of cruising.

Politely asking if you are being sarcastic or serious?...hard to tell...

2 hours ago, CGinMTL said:

Stop fretting and just don’t use them, “problem” solved.