celebrations on board

roupa

Just wondering if others might know what Celebrity might offer if a birthday or anniversary is listed on our reservation.  I am always asked if any occur during a sailing, but I have never listed one or the other.

6 minutes ago, roupa said:

Just wondering if others might know what Celebrity might offer if a birthday or anniversary is listed on our reservation.  I am always asked if any occur during a sailing, but I have never listed one or the other.

If in a suite the butler will decorate it with balloons etc and provide a cake, they do it well .  Also in a standard cabin I know they’ll do a cake in the room you can also let them know when you want it and they will whoop it up in a restaurant 

Edited by LGW59

1 hour ago, roupa said:

absolutely nothing. If you want cake, you have to order it before cruising and have it delivered.

Agree with @Guppy99  unless you tell your Butler or the MaitreD in your dining room you can’t count on anything happening.  

If you tell your Butler or the MaitreD then you will get a cake at dinner, sometimes if the cabin attendant knows they may do something, and if in a Suite and the Butler knows maybe strawberries, wine, decoration, balloons, sign.  

Having a Celebration noted on the reservation has never seemed to be communicated to the ship.

1 hour ago, roupa said:

You might get a little something.  It'll be a token gift or celebration, but it'll be fun.  You can order something more if you like.

Generally if you let the M’D of a restaurant know you are celebrating a birthday or anniversary they will arrange a slice of cake and a couple of waiters will serenade you. Lots of guests with celebrations on board so remind them on the night! Sounds a bit twee but very nice!

You can order celebration packages. Definitely champagne, cake and I think floral displays are another option. Check details for cost.

If you want a decent champagne on your birthday without paying a high price you can bring it on board at part of your wine allowance. Either your room attendant or butler (if in a suite) will put it on ice for you.

1 minute ago, jelayne said:

Agree with @Guppy99  unless you tell your Butler or the MaitreD in your dining room you can’t count on anything happening.  

If you tell your Butler or the MaitreD then you will get a cake at dinner, sometimes if the cabin attendant knows they may do something, and if in a Suite and the Butler knows maybe strawberries, wine, decoration, balloons, sign.  

Having a Celebration noted on the reservation has never seemed to be communicated to the ship.

Agree…celebrations can be very hit and miss…You definitely need to inform staff on boarding, even when you have let the shoreside concierge know. Our experiences in higher suites have ranged from the slice of cake in the restaurant, another cruise a delivery of flowers and then  an embarrassment of full cakes for our son (one arranged by our butler, one sent from the Retreat staff, one provided on the night in Murano). Definitely too much of a good thing! Room decorations have also ranged from nil to over the top…

2 hours ago, roupa said:

If you would like to arrange a special celebration I would suggest you do something yourself like booking a speciality restaurant or arranging a special excursion then if staff on board do anything for you then it is a bonus.

• Like 1

We had several celebrations during our sailing (family group) which we indicated on the “special occasion” part of our reservation details.  There is a daily announcement for birthdays and anniversaries over the PA, and we have heard family names mentioned, but no other “celebration.”   I would imagine if we had mentioned any of the occasions to our lead server, we may have gotten cake or something, but since we get dessert after dinner anyway, we didn’t make it a priority.

6 minutes ago, cacbeausang said:

We had several celebrations during our sailing (family group) which we indicated on the “special occasion” part of our reservation details.  There is a daily announcement for birthdays and anniversaries over the PA, and we have heard family names mentioned, but no other “celebration.”   I would imagine if we had mentioned any of the occasions to our lead server, we may have gotten cake or something, but since we get dessert after dinner anyway, we didn’t make it a priority.

In over 50 sailings on Celebrity I have never heard a "daily announcement for birthdays and anniversaries over the PA."

We were on the Eclipse in April.  The time span included by birthday.  We did not make any note of a special occasion, but had the Suite Manager, a Michael's Club host, a Cafe al Bacio barista and a Cellar Master sommelier wish me a happy birthday.  Our butler delivered a cake and decorated our suite.  I asked the sommelier how he knew it was my birthday, and he told me my name and photo were posted in a crew area.  Possibly because we are Zenith Captain's Club members?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

absolutely nothing. If you want cake, you have to order it before cruising and have it delivered.

Won't bother saying "I beg to differ".  It happens.

A small but tasty little cake (probably an 8" square)

353324519_AnnivCake.thumb.jpg.b025d974305557bbc93dd70f2340b783.jpg

was delivered to our cabin, unannounced and unexpected, for our anniversary on Constellation last November.  We were asked early on whether we were celebrating anything in particular on that cruise, and we had told them, but that was the extent of the conversation.  Then again, the service on that cruise was the most extraordinary we'd ever experienced on an X ship.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cacbeausang said:

In all my cruises I have never heard names mentioned over the PA. Must be another cruiseline. I would find it annoying to listen to. So may people are celebrating something . I personally don't need attention.

• Like 2

Post #11, Thank you for confirming that Captain Matt does a daily announcement of birthdays and anniversaries, first names only.  To post #7 and #10, I assure you that I am aware of which ship I am currently enjoying- by the pool right now, it is the Celebrity Equinox.  Just because you had not previously ever experienced this does not mean it has not or is not happening.  No one asked for it the announcement, just put a note in “special occasions” section of cruise details.  I was just replying to the OP with information related to their question.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cacbeausang said:

Just because you had not previously ever experienced this does not mean it has not or is not happening. 

It is probably valid to note that this is not a 'Celebrity' thing, but a 'Captain Matt' thing, just in terms of setting expectations.

Seems like the celebrations are quite mixed. A couple of years ago (pre-Covid) we were on the Silhouette on my wife's birthday in a Celebrity Suite. The Host and Room Attendant put a large Happy Birthday sign up on the bedroom wall and scattered a bunch of balloons around. I think we also got a small cake. I do know she got a birthday cake when we celebrated in Murano that evening.

On our upcoming Alaska cruise with our kids and grandkids, we will be celebrating various missed birthdays and special moments. Don’t plan to let the staff know except for the grandkids which will love the recognition. Done it in the past and always got a bit of a cake desert and song..

But I always told my daughters that if we went to a restaurant for My birthday and they got the staff to sing for me, I’d Disown them! 

den

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

On our upcoming Alaska cruise with our kids and grandkids, we will be celebrating various missed birthdays and special moments. Don’t plan to let the staff know except for the grandkids which will love the recognition. Done it in the past and always got a bit of a cake desert and song..

But I always told my daughters that if we went to a restaurant for My birthday and they got the staff to sing for me, I’d Disown them! 

den

Haaapppy Birthday to you.....

I told them on our last sailing that we were on a cruise.  I got nothing.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

That's not true. We had a special anniversary noted on our reservation and received a beautiful little (very rich) cake like the one pictured above, chocolate covered strawberries and a nice note from X in our room. We didn't ask for it, weren't in a suite and will never reach Zenith.

9 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

That's not true. We had a special anniversary noted on our reservation and received a beautiful little (very rich) cake like the one pictured above, chocolate covered strawberries and a nice note from X in our room. We didn't ask for it, weren't in a suite and will never reach Zenith.

I do think this is an area Celebrity needs to get more consistent with…If people read on CC about getting cakes, name read out, wine in the room or any other treat they board with a degree of expectation which quickly changes to disappointment when they have an empty table in their room and no serenade after dinner.

Our son’s GF is cruising with us next cruise and has a birthday during the cruise. I will be reminding the butler and the M’D of the restaurant we dine in that evening. Certainly not leaving it to the chance of them noticing a tick on our reservation!

14 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I do think this is an area Celebrity needs to get more consistent with…If people read on CC about getting cakes, name read out, wine in the room or any other treat they board with a degree of expectation which quickly changes to disappointment when they have an empty table in their room and no serenade after dinner.

Our son’s GF is cruising with us next cruise and has a birthday during the cruise. I will be reminding the butler and the M’D of the restaurant we dine in that evening. Certainly not leaving it to the chance of them noticing a tick on our reservation!

That's always a wise thing to do if you want to make sure something happens. FWIW we've never been serenaded at dinner....we'd both really hate that! Also I don't recall hearing anyone else serenaded in any of the dining rooms we frequented on X. Of course that could be because we've enjoyed too many cocktail or wine while dining.😜

Edited by Luvcrusn

6 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

That's always a wise thing to do if you want to make sure something happens. FWIW we've never been serenaded at dinner....we'd both really hate that! Also I don't recall hearing anyone else serenaded in any of the dining rooms we frequented on X. Of course that could be because we've enjoyed too many cocktail or wine while dining.😜

Isn’t it funny how everyone seems to have a different experience? We have experienced serenades in Murano and MDR and heard others serenaded in Tuscan. The MDR was definitely more enthusiastic and in tone! 

Just now, chemmo said:

Isn’t it funny how everyone seems to have a different experience? We have experienced serenades in Murano and MDR and heard others serenaded in Tuscan. The MDR was definitely more enthusiastic and in tone! 

Huh what?  Different people have a different experience?  I suppose some people don’t want the fuss.  I asked to be called Emperor but no one does it.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Huh what?  Different people have a different experience?  I suppose some people don’t want the fuss.  I asked to be called Emperor but no one does it.

Hi Emperor! Your wish is granted.