Can Edge-Class feel like Solstice-Class?

Nemanoxer

Here I am, back from the Equinox. Even though some unpleasant developments affected my being perfectly happy, good old Equinox had me falling back to that cozy, familiar club-like feeling that caught me into cruising in 2012 and since then gets back to me every time I go on that ship. 

I know a lot of that depends on the kind of treatment you get from the crew. But for me, I also enjoy the feeling of being able to leave the world outside once I leave the outer decks and dive into that cozy, loungy alternative indoor reality for all of the evening and night time.

Now, as I said, the ship is still my first cruise love, and I would always go back. Still, I also am a progressive character. And so I took the maiden voyage on Edge when she entered business. The thing was - I completely missed the cozy hideaway feeling. And ever since, I kept asking myself if that was a result of the fact that that voyage was a massive party with everybody being in high spirits or if the Edge class´s concept and design made me feel... uncozy or so.

So, for those who have done some Solstice class and also some Edge class cruises: Can Edge-Class feel as cozy and "my second living room" as Solstice class? What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Nemanoxer
  • Like 1

I was concerned about EDGE Class and my worries were totally unfounded. In fact I'd rather sail on EDGE Class ships exclusively from now on. The ships design has a much more intimate feeling, especially the MDR is very small now (similar to the size of BLU on Solstice Class).

I also enjoy Cafe al Baccio a lot more on EDGE than on Solstice. YMMV of course.

The only downside is that I'm not too fond of the Infinite Verandas and the annoying window up/down system just to get some quick fresh air.

I can't say I've ever described either class as 'cozy'. But while E and S class are very different from one another, there are also a lot of familiar elements between the two classes that add some cohesiveness to the overall experience IMO. 

"So, for those who have done some Solstice class and also some Edge class cruises: Can Edge-Class feel as cozy and "my second living room" as Solstice class? What are your thoughts on this?"

Nope.  We have been on Edge twice including last August when there was only 30% occupancy.  E Class does not have the "cozy" feel that the S Class does.  S Class has a lot more bars and lounge areas and definitely has more overstuffed comfy chairs to relax in.  Both class of ships offer different things but E Class is still our personal favorite.  :) 

I’ve sailed every S Class ship and also Edge four times.  I certainly don’t feel I’m in my second living room when onboard a Solstice Class ship (and I have a lovely home!)  The foyer, MDR, Sky Lounge and Sunset Bar areas are expansive and airy and stunning.  Edge Class, to me, feels completely different from S Class…neither in my opinion is better…but they are dramatically different.  Apples to oranges.  I love the 4 MDR concept and Eden on Edge.  I love having a king size bed.  Personally, I love the infinite veranda.  But when on S Class I love all the lounges and the more spacious feeling in the foyer.  Love the glass elevators.  Since there are things I love about both Classes, I don’t have to choose a favorite!

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 2

We love all Celebrity Class ships, and understand the import of finding quiet, more intimate spots which can be a bit challenging on any larger cruise ship. But I found a number of areas I loved on E-Class. El Bacio has large-backed chairs that give you a bit of intimacy, but my favorite get-away was the areas along the Eden ‘ramp’ that wraps around the stern. Fantastic alcoves and spots to sit with 2 or 4 or so and be ‘away’ a bit.

den

Hi, 

I recently cruised aboard both classes of ship in the Caribbean (Celebrity Reflection in late February 2022 and Celebrity Apex in late April 2022). I honestly greatly enjoyed both ships and think they have their own strengths. The Solstice class probably has more out-of-the-way places, but I really liked the lobby, Eden and overall futuristic design of the Apex. I enjoyed the Apex more than I expected. In fact, I am booked on the Celebrity Beyond for February 2023. 

Edited by seacruise9

Having done both class of ships as well, my thoughts are similar to the OP.  I enjoy the more small bar areas like the S-Class ships have vs the large bar areas of the E-class.  The E-Class bar areas simply feel like a large hotel bar similar to what you would find near convention centers.  That fact combined with we enjoyed a real veranda and the sky lounge is one of our favorite areas of the ship; we will only book the E-Class in a Suite.  S-Class we are plenty happy in a Veranda or above.  Everyone has their own criteria and of course port stops play a large part of that as well but this our travel and cruise strategy currently.    

Edited by Team Stag

Were on Beyond this May.  Has wow factor, but not really cosy.  Colors and lower ceilings make certain areas a bit gloomy.  And maybe seating furniture is modern and looks cute, but is certainly not very comfortable.  We were also disturbed by the annoying pulsating background music which was sometimes too loud and in certain areas you could hear 3 different songs at same time).
In the cabin (were in SV which was nice and roomy) we often wondered if the designers ever sailed in a ship or in such accomodations (some things were not practical at all and with little effort could have been so much better, eg space in cupboards, plugs, sink, towel racks, etc)

S class remains my favorite. 

Edited by Michidoeme
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I’m on Ascent right now and I thought I was crazy, but I feel the same was as the OP.  The additional pain is that we are in a suite and sadly it isn’t living up to the hype.  I miss my bigger balcony, my smaller Luminae and the less busy World Class Bar.  Beautiful ship, but now I know it’s not for me.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, amshowers said:

I’m on Ascent right now and I thought I was crazy, but I feel the same was as the OP.  The additional pain is that we are in a suite and sadly it isn’t living up to the hype.  I miss my bigger balcony, my smaller Luminae and the less busy World Class Bar.  Beautiful ship, but now I know it’s not for me.

Have you been on M or S class? 

We have been on all 3 classes and prefer the E class.  We had a great cruise on the Summit last year but I felt like I was going back to an old era.  
We have a B2B on the Eclipse later this year, which we booked for the itinerary, but I just can’t get excited about getting on the ship.

We also have a B2B on the Edge and while I prefer the Ascent or Beyond, I am looking forward to getting on the ship 6 weeks from now.

I tend to agree with the OP.  The M and S class ships have many cozy nooks and the bars feel more intimate.  The E class is more wide open.  The martini bar feels like it is in a big pit.  But, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.  We will be on the Edge in a few weeks.  For us, it is a case where the itinerary and timing took precedence over the ship.  YMMV.

25 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

What is your favourite?

Equinox, but it might be because of the itinerary to the ABC islands and the excellent bartenders at World Class Bar.  

For transparency we have stayed in Royal suites on every class and the S-class suite is our favorite.  My husband and are mid-forties and after 12 cruises we have learned we are fans of on an older, smaller cruise ship.  We actually liked Michael’s club on Infinity with all the dark wood, that is now gone.  

Our suite on Ascent, while beautiful and spacious indoors, has lost at least half the balcony and there are no lounge chairs or table to eat at which the other classes have.

Ascent is gorgeous and I wanted to try this class once.  It’s not for us, but I can understand why others love it and they should!

• Like 1

I would say definitely not.  Most E venues feel crowded...  There is no cozy or relaxed about it.

I would not sail on E again unless in a Suite.  M class is my favorite,  S class second,  and E class last.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I would say definitely not.  Most E venues feel crowded...  There is no cozy or relaxed about it.

I would not sail on E again unless in a Suite.  M class is my favorite,  S class second,  and E class last.

Do all the M class ships have the same restaurants?  Are they all missing Murano?

I prefer the Eclipse and Equinox.  Nice spaces.  More restaurants.  Beyond only in a suite.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Do all the M class ships have the same restaurants?  Are they all missing Murano?

I prefer the Eclipse and Equinox.  Nice spaces.  More restaurants.  Beyond only in a suite.

They are all missing Murano.

They have less passengers on board.  A more relaxed vibe.  

I like S class also.

Edited by NMTraveller

15 hours ago, jelayne said:

We have been on all 3 classes and prefer the E class

We also have a B2B on the Edge and while I prefer the Ascent or Beyond, I am looking forward to getting on the ship 6 weeks from now.

Ditto on all of the above, except our B2B on Edge starts in 50 days.  😉

3 hours ago, Texed said:

Ditto on all of the above, except our B2B on Edge starts in 50 days.  😉

We’ll  be waiting for you!  We board in 41 days😀.

is this a recent booking? I haven’t seen you on the Roll Call.  

Personal opinion is the E-Class are huge, but lost the personality of the S-Class ships.    The ship is noisy throughout and most of the Specialty Restaurants are open air with no walls.   To me Prime Cut is a disaster and if seated near the Edge overlooking the Martini Bar it is almost impossible to talk over the noise - especially when they do their light show.

Instead of Retreat lounge being small an intimate it has the feel of a LARGE Airport Lounges.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We’ll  be waiting for you!  We board in 41 days😀.

is this a recent booking? I haven’t seen you on the Roll Call.  

My mess up.  We board Ascent in 49 days.  Our B2B on Edge is in June.  😛

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Personal opinion is the E-Class are huge, but lost the personality of the S-Class ships.    The ship is noisy throughout and most of the Specialty Restaurants are open air with no walls.   To me Prime Cut is a disaster and if seated near the Edge overlooking the Martini Bar it is almost impossible to talk over the noise - especially when they do their light show.

Instead of Retreat lounge being small an intimate it has the feel of a LARGE Airport Lounges.

I would agree that the Retreat Lounge has a very different feel as does Luminae.  With 176- 198  suites on E class ships they have to be large compared to S which has about 66 suites.