The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 29th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Camera Day, Hug Holiday, and International Mud Day

Thomas Edison's last words were It's very beautiful over there. I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.--John Green, Looking for Alaska

Meal Suggestion for today - Lumpia
Drink of the Day - Espresso Martini
wine of the Day - Legado del Moncayo 2019 Garnacha (Campo de Borja)
Destination of the Day - Andalsnes, Norway

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Reykjavik, Iceland 08:00 -

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Oosterdam

Mykonos, Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Skjolden, Sognefjord, Norway 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven

0629Europe.thumb.png.4e45a1cf8868154df9a244ba1395fd52.png

0629Alaska.thumb.png.46845e24ec02457444e8064354ecad00.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 14

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Everyone needs a hug once in awhile.

International Mud Day?

Pass on the meal and the drink.

Off to the golf course in a few minutes.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 31

Good morning.

It is 11.45am windy, cloudy and 60°F here in North East England.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

I use the camera on my phone all of the time.

I was never into playing with mud.

Could today's quote Indicate Edison's last words were that

He saw Heaven.

I don't know what today's food and drink are so looking forward to hearing what they are.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Wishing everyone has a safe day.

Graham.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  Not sure about the mud but I like the other days. Interesting quote but not quite sure what to make of it.  Loved Norway but never been to Andalsnes.  Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is Iced Melon Bisque, Mixed Gourmet Greens, Chicken and Corn Soup, and Fruit Cup au Natural as served on MS Prinsendam May 30, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Sam recovering at home from Covid complications
StPeteCruiser recovering from Appendicitis
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Hopes for successful return home and rest for Kazu
Joy’s friend Ron facing Gall Bladder surgery
From the rotation:
StLouisSal with weakening legs and covid
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
Heartgrove brother recovering from feeding tube insertion
HAL Sailer DH Nephew Curt with serious mowing accident and new dimentia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
Heartgrove brother successful feeding tube placement
Sharon caring for her mother
Eagle for Mister67
3 days for ski ww (Oosterdam July 2 to 16)
2 days for me (QM2 July 1 to 😎
StLouisCruisers, Red Haired Lady and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) ,  Nickelpenny (Westerdam to 7/3) ,  jimgev (Noordam to 7/3 plus land trip),  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) and Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to 7/9) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 14

I love lumpia!  It's the Filipino version of spring rolls.  I set the kitchen on fire the last time I tried to make them!!!  😲🔥  Since then, I just buy them at a Filipino store.

Roy, I thought I saw you mention that you are taking a Panama Canal cruise this fall, 2022.  Is that right?  If so which ship?

~Nancy

• Like 29

1 minute ago, oakridger said:

I love lumpia!  It's the Filipino version of spring rolls.  I set the kitchen on fire the last time I tried to make them!!!  😲🔥  Since then, I just buy them at a Filipino store.

Roy, I thought I saw you mention that you are taking a Panama Canal cruise this fall, 2022.  Is that right?  If so which ship?

~Nancy

Partial Panama Canal, Eurodam, November 9-20,

Roy

• Like 28

Good morning.  Thanks for the Hump Day Fleet Report and Daily.

It's raining!  I'm sure Bertie will find some mud.  But we really need the rain.  I will hug my sweetie today. 🙂  I'll take some pictures with my camera too.

Interesting quote.

Looking forward to reading more about today's meal suggestion.  I'll pass on the drink and hope the wine is good.

We've been to Norway, but not to Andalsnes, hope there are lots of pictures.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  Not sure about the mud but I like the other days. Interesting quote but not quite sure what to make of it.  Loved Norway but never been to Andalsnes.  Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is Iced Melon Bisque, Mixed Gourmet Greens, Chicken and Corn Soup, and Fruit Cup au Natural as served on MS Prinsendam May 30, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Sam recovering at home from Covid complications
StPeteCruiser recovering from Appendicitis
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Hopes for successful return home and rest for Kazu
Joy’s friend Ron facing Gall Bladder surgery
From the rotation:
StLouisSal with weakening legs and covid
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems
Heartgrove brother recovering from feeding tube insertion
HAL Sailer DH Nephew Curt with serious mowing accident and new dimentia

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
Heartgrove brother successful feeding tube placement
Sharon caring for her mother
Eagle for Mister67
3 days for ski ww (Oosterdam July 2 to 16)
2 days for me (QM2 July 1 to 😎
StLouisCruisers, Red Haired Lady and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) ,  Nickelpenny (Westerdam to 7/3) ,  jimgev (Noordam to 7/3 plus land trip),  Norseh2o  (Insignia to 7/4) and Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to 7/9) at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 17

Thanks for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.

I like the combination of days and the quote.  That expresso martini sounds good.  I think I am going to need one at the end of this 😉 

And it really is a Hump Day - like get over the hump to get home 😂 

I think 1/2 of the last 24 hours will have been spent at the airport and (with luck) finally in the air.  And, I am getting creative.  My boarding pass didn’t open the priority security gate for me so I used last night’s and “open sesame’.  No way was getting in that 2 mile line up unless I had to.  OMG.

As one lady said to me - if you have time to spare - go by air.  I thought that was the best I have heard so far (but remember I am sleep deprived).

With covid, if you want to order in the lounge you need to scan to your phone.  Same for the elevator to get to the lounge.   Well, we all know kazu doesn’t have one on her - I’ve had two gentlemen come to my rescue so far (without asking).  Canadians truly can be very nice and kind ♥️ 

Now to hope for my flight, that it’s on time and the little bag I checked last night gets on this plane.  that’s an awful lot to hope for isn’t it?  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the celebratory / shout out list.

Stay safe & have a good day or make the best out of the one you have.

• Like 41
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning from Charlottetown, thanks for the fleet report.   I'm not sure about today's meal suggestion.  The lido is offering mussels tonight,  that's a hard pass for me. Hopefully something else will appeal.  

Waiting for a bit to get off the ship.  Don't expect much to be open before 10.

20220629_081305.thumb.jpg.78b2e7ab55d8a64a324718d429b028d1.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A lovely morning here, though the humidity is creeping in too. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy! Morning Dailyites. Need to get my act together and get the trash & recycling out, so this will be a quick post. 

00D9546B-A704-4092-907F-56D4A2C282C1.jpeg.ec7fd68a3ca575df360ed10ca3ef880d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support.  Special prayers for Ron, Curt, Tana, Buddy, Jack’s DB. Jacqui praying you get to board & get home today. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Legado del Moncayo 2019 Garnacha

This wine shares very good reviews from both critics and consumers. I would love to taste this one. A bit elusive I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $12.99 & shipping. 

Distributor notes 

There aren’t many wine-producing countries of this world which can hold a candle to Spain. The sun-soaked southern European country produces the kinds of wines we can’t help but get excited about - full-flavoured, passionately produced wines of thrilling variety, we love wines that manage to capture everything special about this country in the bottle. Legado del Moncayo is pretty much spot-on in this regard - it is the passion project of the young and ambitious winemaker Isaac Fernandez. Isaac works in a number of regions across Spain, and with several varieties, but his standout wines to date come from the old Garnacha (the Spanish name for Grenache!) bush vines of Campo de Borja, the so-called ‘empire of Garnacha’ which is famed throughout the country (and increasingly, the wider world) for the sheer quality of the red wines it produces. Isaac has an experimental approach, bringing together the old world of tradition and finesse with an in-your-face attitude of innovation, and thinking outside the box. Classic formula here - old gnarly bush vines, a talented young winemaker, take a somewhat overlooked wine region....add hard work, grit and determination, and with this wine, we're seeing some incredible results. Dark but upfront fruit, with a wafting perfume of rose and small red berries. There's plenty of savoury grit here, backed up by ginger and cinnamon spices, and the power of those old vines really shines through. The wine is well balanced however, with natural acid freshness, and spends just 7 months in French oak, which partially accounts for the spiciness! A lacquered and sweet fruited, confected Grenache you can smash. A delight of a wine.

Tasting notes

DRY/SWEET
DRYMediumSweet
BODY
LightMediumFULL
ACIDITY
LowMEDIUMHigh
TANNINS
LowMEDIUMHigh
ALCOHOL
Low (9-11%)Medium (12-13%)HIGH (14%+)
OAK
NoneSOMELots
FRUITS
StrawberryRaspberryCherry
FLAVOURS
CinnamonPepperSpice
CELLAR
This will improve over the next few years, but don't be afraid to open it today!
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 7

A very early good morning morning from central Texas.  Unless there is a surprise, I will be heading to Waco to do some much needed shopping while our temperatures are still in double digits.  Our highs have been in the 90sF,  but warmer than predicted.  I'm going to try to leave early so I can get home before the hotest part of the afteernoon.

I use the camera on my phone some, but when we're on a cruise, I usually use my small camera.  It has a wrist strap that tightens which lessens the danger of dropping it (especilly over the rail and into the ocean) and it fits in my pocket.  Hugs are great.  I'll  celebrate mud if it's from much needed rain, and we have a slight chance of rain on Friday.

The quote is interesting, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

DH's SIL is Filipeno and has made lumpia for the family.  I made her recipe a few times, but it makes too much for the two of us.  We wlso had lumpia from one of the food carts on the pier in Juneau, and enjoyed it.

We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

Although we've been to many ports in Norway, today's port is not one of them.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you and your suitcase get home at a decent time and you can get some rest tonight.

Lenda

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you and your suitcase get home at a decent time and you can get some rest tonight.

I think a nap would be appropriate as well.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Haha 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be another beautiful day here in northeast Ohio.  I bit on the cool to start out is good for doing my morning laps.  I don't go to the pool until 4 PM to avoid the kids in kayaks in the pool.  What a mess that is!   

Lumpia are various types of spring rolls commonly found in the Philippines and Indonesia. Lumpia are made of thin paper-like or crepe-like pastry skin called "lumpia wrapper" enveloping savory or sweet fillings. It is often served as an appetizer or snack, and might be served deep fried or fresh.  This first recipe claims to be a traditional Filipino recipe.  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/35151/traditional-filipino-lumpia/

1443524169_lumpia1.jpg.b0d4f2f3c8648e7f96d31471ae4428c9.jpg

There are several varieties of lumpia and this next recipe is lumpiang Shanghai.  https://rasamalaysia.com/lumpia-filipino-spring-rolls-recipe/

915329699_lumpia2.thumb.jpg.23f7a4cc09737a828194c7c29ea85f84.jpg

This next one includes shrimp in the filling.  https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/filipino-lumpia/

1333137152_lumpia3.thumb.jpg.2cb1c31ec9e6a5b9d9c79355cacc3f07.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.  We are thankful that @StPeteCruiser is home recovering after a bout with appendicitis while traveling.   Cheers to him and others who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a wonderful day. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

38 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from Charlottetown, thanks for the fleet report.   I'm not sure about today's meal suggestion.  The lido is offering mussels tonight,  that's a hard pass for me. Hopefully something else will appeal.  

Waiting for a bit to get off the ship.  Don't expect much to be open before 10.

20220629_081305.thumb.jpg.78b2e7ab55d8a64a324718d429b028d1.jpg

I would be right there for those mussels.  They were excellent when I had them in Charlottetown.   Check out the shopping in the terminal for me.

• Like 22

1 minute ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be another beautiful day here in northeast Ohio.  I bit on the cool to start out is good for doing my morning laps.  I don't go to the pool until 4 PM to avoid the kids in kayaks in the pool.  What a mess that is!   

Lumpia are various types of spring rolls commonly found in the Philippines and Indonesia. Lumpia are made of thin paper-like or crepe-like pastry skin called "lumpia wrapper" enveloping savory or sweet fillings. It is often served as an appetizer or snack, and might be served deep fried or fresh.  This first recipe claims to be a traditional Filipino recipe.  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/35151/traditional-filipino-lumpia/

1443524169_lumpia1.jpg.b0d4f2f3c8648e7f96d31471ae4428c9.jpg

There are several varieties of lumpia and this next recipe is lumpiang Shanghai.  https://rasamalaysia.com/lumpia-filipino-spring-rolls-recipe/

915329699_lumpia2.thumb.jpg.23f7a4cc09737a828194c7c29ea85f84.jpg

This next one includes shrimp in the filling.  https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/filipino-lumpia/

1333137152_lumpia3.thumb.jpg.2cb1c31ec9e6a5b9d9c79355cacc3f07.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.  We are thankful that @StPeteCruiser is home recovering after a bout with appendicitis while traveling.   Cheers to him and others who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a wonderful day. 

Debbie, the lumpia in the pictures looks good.  The recipe DH's SIL gave me uses ground beef and cole slaw in the filling and wonton wrappers.  The lumpia is deep fried, and her version was usually the main course.

Lenda

• Like 24

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@kazu's flight is at the gate.

Roy

And delayed.  Maintenance problem, supposedly.  Same thing that delayed leaving on Friday. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 19