Black Tie Nights

True Devonian

3 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

Me too and I never had less than 3 or 4, whereas on Britannia a couple of weeks ago I got a voucher for just one drink. Mind you, if you knew where to look, lots of additional vouchers could be found!!

Ooh please do tell , or maybe not if its debatable? Pretty sure passengers wont leave them lying around 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Ooh please do tell , or maybe not if its debatable? Pretty sure passengers wont leave them lying around 

We left ours in the cabin, I think we did redeem one each of the many offers we had, but most went in the bin.

17 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have difficulty with a bow tie too and a cruise director told me that once tied he had the tie converted to a clip on. Looks like a proper knot but isn't 😁

I have enough problems these days with ordinary ties, let alone even attempting a bow tie, probably because I have worn one less than 10 times in the last 20 years or so.

I have a blue pre knotted tie, however no longer have a suit to wear it with. 

My mother used to say black ties were for funerals, apparently got that from her grandfather who she only saw in a tie at a funeral, he never wore one otherwise. 

One glass of poor fizzy wine is hardly a "celebration"! Remember when we used to get gin and tonic, whisky, wine, etc. and could have as much as we wanted? The second voucher I got was for house wine, which is awful, but the nice barman gave me a glass of decent stuff instead. On Celebrity we had happy hour in the Sky Lounge every night but don't know if they still do that now?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I have enough problems these days with ordinary ties, let alone even attempting a bow tie, probably because I have worn one less than 10 times in the last 20 years or so.

I have a blue pre knotted tie, however no longer have a suit to wear it with. 

My mother used to say black ties were for funerals, apparently got that from her grandfather who she only saw in a tie at a funeral, he never wore one otherwise. 

I have tried so many times to tie a 'proper' bow tie but keep failing miserably. Printed instructions, watched videos but my brain still just doesn't compute on this...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I have tried so many times to tie a 'proper' bow tie but keep failing miserably. Printed instructions, watched videos but my brain still just doesn't compute on this...

Similar here.

Absolutely is not like tying shoelaces.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fionboard said:

One glass of poor fizzy wine is hardly a "celebration"! Remember when we used to get gin and tonic, whisky, wine, etc. and could have as much as we wanted? The second voucher I got was for house wine, which is awful, but the nice barman gave me a glass of decent stuff instead. On Celebrity we had happy hour in the Sky Lounge every night but don't know if they still do that now?

Couldn't agree more

1 hour ago, Son of Bare said:

Similar here.

Absolutely is not like tying shoelaces.

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

Key is to close your eyes , when tying the bow.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Don't know how far back your going with the drinks situation. But I found that the G&T's had probably missed out the G and the wine was pretty good for clearing the plug hole in your cabin sink. Still I suppose it made you feel wanted to an extent and I can understand due to Covid why they don't have mass gatherings amongst crew and passengers. Even so you would think they could at least give a voucher for a proper G&T, Beer or a Scotch and Dry.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Don't know how far back your going with the drinks situation. But I found that the G&T's had probably missed out the G and the wine was pretty good for clearing the plug hole in your cabin sink. Still I suppose it made you feel wanted to an extent and I can understand due to Covid why they don't have mass gatherings amongst crew and passengers. Even so you would think they could at least give a voucher for a proper G&T, Beer or a Scotch and Dry.

When we were onboard Ventura in December, we got a £10 voucher each in lieu of the Peninsula Party.

I think we could only use the vouchers on a specified day, but they could be used in any bar, and you could have more than one drink as long as the total cost of your drinks did not exceed £10, and were ordered at the same time.

I had two bottle of Aspalls Cyder and The Ole Lady had a couple of wines whilst watching the show in Tamarind.  I must admit, on that occasion we preferred that to the usual having to be like an octopus to grab a couple of watery G & Ts. 🍺

23 hours ago, Pine Man said:

My challenge on the next cruise is finding additional drinks vouchers given in lieu of the Loyalty Cocktail Parties!!

That’s a shame - we put ours in the bin as we left Ventura yesterday 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Especially when all you wanted was your bow tie sorting out!!!

I've given up on bow ties and now wear a formal bolo instead. Much easier, and a useful talking point.

Homer Vance bolo.jpg