The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 6th, 2022

richwmn

Today is International Kissing Day, National Fried Chicken Day, and Umbrella Cover Day

It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.--Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

Meal Suggestion for today - Turkey Scallopini with Marsala Sauce
Drink of the Day - Peach Mojito
Wine of the Day - Maximin Grünhäuser 2019 Abtsberg GG Riesling (Mo
Destination of the Day - Geiranger, Norway

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

Copenhagen, Denmark 07:00- 16:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Souda-Chania, Crete Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Bergen, Norway eta 07/07

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0707World.thumb.png.bf33a728fd1f5436a6676d5aa811f04c.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 13

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Good quote.

Good meal.

Kissing day has to be good too. 

We don't eat fried chicken, it's been years since we had some, maybe at a KFC on a long road trip to California which was in 2006.

Off to the golf course.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30

Good morning.  Happy Hump Day.  Thanks for the Reports.

Interesting days.  International Kissing Day, that's a great idea.  I haven't made fried chicken in ages, thanks for the suggestion.  I have lots of umbrellas but rarely use them.  I prefer a hat or a hood so that my hands are free.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm sure the drink will be tasty.  I hope the wine is good and not too expensive.

We were in Geiranger several years ago.  I'll look for pictures.  We really enjoyed our Norway cruise, hope to do another one someday.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

Bertie is anxious to go for a walk, so I'll take him and stop playing on the computer.🙂

• Like 32

Good Morning Everyone from a wet Sydney.  Thanks for the daily fleet report.  It looks like we'll need an umbrella today.  The fried chicken on the lido has been good and could be today's dinner.   I hope everyone has a good day today. 

20220706_074957.thumb.jpg.6cac7a9962f5738828c9be57306bdb84.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

It is overcast and 55°F here today.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Kissing day certainly appeals to us.

Chicken always tastes nice.

We have 2 large free standing umbrellas for when it is sunny and we need some shade.

Best wishes for recovery for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

• Like 26

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  Greetings from Halifax, which I think is where Zaandam will be tomorrow.  Rainy here but will be too windy for an umbrella, much like @Crazy For Cats in Sydney.  Been to several Norway ports but not Geiranger.  Interesting selection of days and I like the Emerson quote.  The meal sounds quite nice.  My alternative is Carrot and Mandarin Salad, Medallions of Pork Filet, and Carrot Cake as served on QM2 July 5, 2022.

dishes05.jpg

Today’s care list:

StLouisCruisers DH awaiting biopsy result
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
StPeteCruiser recovering from Appendicitis
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Heartgrove brother about to be discharged with extremely poor prognosis
From the rotation:
Tana with persistant cough
HAL Sailer DH Nephew Curt undergoing rehab after serious mowing accident
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Bennybear DH with melanoma

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

aliaschief in Oregon
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Volendam caring for refugees
3 days for Cat in My Lap  (Zaandam 7/9 to 8/13)
4 days for dobiemom (Rotterdam 7/10 to 7/17)
jimgev in Alaska
rafinmd  (QM2 to July  8), Mister Boston (Celebrity Summit to July  10), Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to 7/9), GTVCRUISER (Carnival Panorama to July 9) and ski ww (Oosterdam to July 16)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 11

Peach Mojito cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts
Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1/2 part
DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
Juice of 1
Lime
8-12
Fresh Mint Leaves
1 part
Simple Syrup
Splash of
Soda Water
Garnish: Mint Sprig,
Peach Slice

Instructions
Muddle mint leaves with lime juice and simple syrup in a glass or pitcher. Add Cruzan® Aged Light Rum, DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps and ice. Stir gently and top with soda water. Garnish with a mint sprig and a peach slice.

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 7.20.45 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

We are still in Boston- plan to do virtual antigen test tomorrow.

yesterday we did Freedom trail and harbor cruise.  Today we are going to Paul revere’s house and to Red Sox/rays game tonight.

best wishes to all!

• Like 35

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! It is a gorgeous morning here & our Recycle folk were out enjoying it before 6:30 a.m.! Glad I put everything out last night.  Bindi & I had a close encounter with one of this year’s fawns. It was very curious about Bindi. It stayed until Momma deer came along to move it away.

Glad you are enjoying your trip, Roy! Thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites! Early haircut for me. Then the gym. My new computer keyboard arrived last night, so I will set that up today. 

Bindi is an expert sun puddle napped!

1DCD3685-B896-475A-A02E-0B0F48AC94A9.jpeg.15cf3fbc117adb67c9a68c3b01dbdd6d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Maximin Grünhäuser 2019 Abtsberg GG Riesling

This Riesling sounds lovely and I would love to try it. Superb critical reviews and consumers love it! Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $31.39.

Winemaker Notes

The Abtsberg vineyard is one of the greatest sites in all of Germany. It is

extremely steep (up to 70% slope) and has perfect south-southwest exposure,

making it the warmest site at Grünhaus. The wines from this vineyard are

finely structured, with subtle minerality, a racy acidity, generous fruit and great

delicacy. Grosses Gewächs (GG) is the German term for an estate’s best dry

wine from a Grosse Lage vineyard.

WE97 Wine Enthusiast

Struck flint and river rocks introduce this brilliantly steely dry Riesling. Compared to the youthful, almost tropical, charm of the producer’s 2019 Herrenberg GG, lime and grapefruit flavors in the Abtsberg are bracing and linear in youth but suggest a depth and elegance that should reward cellaring. Best to hold till 2024 at least. It should evolve wonderfully through 2035 and hold longer still. Cellar Selection. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Good collection of days.  I wish I had someone hear to kiss but I hope everyone who does celebrates.  I have some left over fried (really baked but it has a coating) chicken in the fridge so I will be sort of celebrating fried chicken day.  It’s definitely umbrella day here.  Raining and will be all day.

I like the quote by Emerson.  It’s true - you can be yourself with real, dear old friends.  Geiranger is on our itinerary for next year.  Have a great tour booked and really looking forward to the day 🙂 

Well, with it raining - I guess I will have to do some work in the house (house work? 😱) as well as take some time to sort more clothes for giving away 😔.  the clothes are a never ending job - despite how much has been given to good causes, there is still a lot to deal with.  Guess I should have waited to finish the jams today but the strawberries were quite ripe and I couldn’t risk it 😉 

D7C667A8-7FFA-4DDF-BD2D-1003E375D197.thumb.jpeg.533f75d542f792e7edde2a17981a1362.jpeg

I have to have a talk with this clematis that has started to bloom

77DBB808-6EFA-44F6-B82C-BFC1B314BF33.thumb.jpeg.91c488b771f3025a92b03b1b43557191.jpeg

What the heck is it doing with all these flowers inside the pergola ?  

6ECE0829-5600-4ED9-85D5-CD5C0B10467D.thumb.jpeg.d517e622f6409557586701238c709f26.jpeg

My begonias have finally started to bloom.  Thank heavens I did them by bulb (thus the later blooming) as there was barely a begonia to be found in a garden centres this year.

6F22486D-900E-44C0-983A-C3785DF9D6BB.thumb.jpeg.716fab90d6547cc0fc029d425f09948c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!!!

2C32A48E-23A2-4D95-9F8F-6C3573A8FF7B.thumb.jpeg.59a26fa1c03e4e7fd28f8e1474a71f4d.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 39
  • Haha 8

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  Greetings from Halifax, which I think is where Zaandam will be tomorrow.  Rainy here but will be too windy for an umbrella, much like @Crazy For Cats in Sydney.  Been to several Norway ports but not Geiranger.  Interesting selection of days and I like the Emerson quote.  The meal sounds quite nice.  My alternative is Carrot and Mandarin Salad, Medallions of Pork Filet, and Carrot Cake as served on QM2 July 5, 2022.

dishes05.jpg

Today’s care list:

StLouisCruisers DH awaiting biopsy result
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
StPeteCruiser recovering from Appendicitis
Covid in Durango shelter staff
Heartgrove brother about to be discharged with extremely poor prognosis
From the rotation:
Tana with persistant cough
HAL Sailer DH Nephew Curt undergoing rehab after serious mowing accident
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Bennybear DH with melanoma

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

aliaschief in Oregon
Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Volendam caring for refugees
3 days for Cat in My Lap  (Zaandam 7/9 to 8/13)
4 days for dobiemom (Rotterdam 7/10 to 7/17)
jimgev in Alaska
rafinmd  (QM2 to July  8), Mister Boston (Celebrity Summit to July  10), Crazy for Cats (Zaandam to 7/9), GTVCRUISER (Carnival Panorama to July 9) and ski ww (Oosterdam to July 16)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 16

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report!  it looks like it might rain here today.  All of the fruit farmers around me  sure need it.. Speaking of which, I was woken up by the sound of a "bird banger"  which  our newer neighbours think is a gun shot.  

• Like 23

Good morning, everyone!   

It looks like it is going to be an indoor walk today as rain is in the forecast.  After my walk I have to go to the doctor's office and pick up an order for more testing.  This is a result of yesterday's blood tests.  My calcium levels have been high for a while now and yesterday's tests showed high calcium but normal parathyroid hormone levels.  The parathyroid is usually the responsible party for this, but not in my case.  I keep telling these doctors I am an outlier.  

I love fried chicken, but it doesn't love me, so I don't have it very often.  Like maybe once a year.  I have been to Geiranger and will be going back when we go to Norway this month.  11 days!   We are so excited!  I'll look for pictures in a bit.  

Today's meal sounds really good.  My dad used to make Chicken Liver Marsala for us on holidays.  Not too much of a jump over to turkey.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/turkey-scallopini-with-marsala-sauce/

650717103_turkeyscallopini1.jpg.79433047a878a797584f8500a4a59d4a.jpg

This next one uses a full bottle of marsala in the sauce and also has instructions for roasted garlic broccoli.  I can go for that one!   http://livefromjulieshouse.com/easy-turkey-scallopini-with-marsala-sauce-roasted-broccoli/

401110734_turkeyscallopini2.jpg.cf9c5bb7048109487a135534cdf82598.jpg

And here is the low carb version.  You season the turkey directly and don't flour it to fry.   https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/turkey-marsala/510202829_turkeyscallopini3.jpg.f19c8868e6948294faa3f75d3563ce09.jpg

And lastly we have this recipe from Williams Sonoma.  https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/turkey-cutlets-with-mushrooms-and-marsala.html

168366043_turkeyscallopini4.jpg.5dc807c36ff7dcf877889dc0ad53780b.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially those who are victims of violence and injustice.  Special prayers for Daily family members facing challenges, health or otherwise.  Cheers for those who are celebrating, especially if it is on a BHB.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Good morning friends!  It's sunny here today but with summer weather you never know what to expect later in the day.  High expected to be 93F.   I used the treadmill this morning and avoided the humidity outdoors.  No plans for today.

I'm happy to see Geiranger as our port today.  Love to visit there!  Last time we had it listed here was Nov. 11, 2021.  I'll repost my photos in a bit.

Kissing Day is always popular so I will make a point to celebrate that.  I love fried chicken though we don't fry it at home, only eat it that way when dining out.  Umbrella covers deserve a day of their own?  Okkaayyy...  The menu suggestion sounds good so am happy to see Debbie's recipes.  A cute quote.😉  Thank you Rich for posting the Fleet and Daily report for us all.  And to Roy we appreciate all the time you spend working on the lists, even while on a cruise.  Prayers for us all on the Care list, our friends in Ukraine, the victims of the shooting(s) over the holiday weekend.  Cheers to all the happy celebrants on our Celebration list.

I am such a fan of Geiranger! I have to post a couple photos of our time there in 2016 on the Prinsendam.  It was our second visit, the first was in 2013.  If you can book a Norway cruise including Geiranger, please do!!

Standing above the town and fjord.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLgoccwZkbFdsrhGSeqFhy6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468072711

The ship in the foreground is not the Prinsendam.  It was named the Pullmantur Monarch.

Halfway up the mountain the view of Geiranger.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIfzgr7UmkgmGOl0R6lRY8O?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468073320

And from the top of Mt. Dalsnibba00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLwltXtRd9NnAwpgSfm53ur?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468083718

Amazing!! 

Snow still on the ground in late June.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJKHvPasA_kniAovOzfccbR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468073116

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJoNWHeFP-NEPgIPGGiN_PK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468073190

On our way up the mountain I saw this tourist enjoying the snow.  Maybe she'd never been in snow before!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ2s1AgyXwN54gdNlHQiEae?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1468073019

• Like 35
  • Thanks 8

Good Morning Dailyites!  I post infrequently, but lurk constantly, LOL! Your warmth, humor, photos, memes, recipes brighten even the dullest days. When I read about challenges that some of you deal with, I realize how truly fortunate I am. Kudos to all.

For us, the last two weeks have truly been a blur. Sold our home. Found Forever Home (true downsizing to approx  65% square footage) but under construction for months to come. Agent found terrific rental that will be our Training Wheels for the Forever Home. We had packers for two days and after a weekend break, movers for two days. We were able to find our bed in the floor to ceiling maze of cartons, but not much else. In the intervening week, we have attacked that maze with a vengeance — with yet more trips to the dump and our favored donation center. That work has paid off to the extent that I can now ‘treat’ myself time to check out CC, LOL!  I recall that many of you have moved in the last few years, and I salute you! And @lindaler , we are just gobsmacked with your Oregon-Mobile move. With camper. Twice. Wow. We just don’t remember it being so hard. And we get to do it again in Oct-Nov. The good news is that the Navigator App informs us that our  “…journey starts in 142 days.” 😀 Apologies for all the I/me and/or we/us.

It is so wonderful to follow the fleet, The Care & Celebrations lists, your gardening triumphs, travels and various updates. Thank you all for your humanity. This thread is such a safe harbor during turbulent times.

• Like 44
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks for the lists, recipes and news snippets!   We enjoyed Geiranger too, I have pictures somewhere.  DD was on the cruise with us, that made it special.  Pat had an email from a friend in England, who we had hoped to see, that he got Covid on a cruise and is isolating.  One down!  

We are heading to the airport soon for our flight to Halifax  - Roy, we should have made plans to meet up!  Although we will probably stay in or near the airport as we leave at 10 pm for our flight to Gatwick.  

I found a plant here in Newfoundland that I had never seen before, “goowiddy”, a low-growing ground cover with pink flowers.  When you look at it closely, you can tell it’s a rhododendron!  BB68482A-ADE3-4A4F-BD27-EFDB2AFCE9C5.thumb.jpeg.b5372da566985786fa9b6ab016863c15.jpeg

ABFF1CF9-6283-4847-9D37-97B299C1D78D.thumb.jpeg.3324a44eeaa35624c04538a96eecd006.jpeg

• Like 37

Thinking back to our times spent in Geiranger I wanted to show more photos of the little town itself.  It's located at the end of Geirangerfjord.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgnQb-t0bvFYtmBXSw_Q0c?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373851895

This zoomed in shot shows the campgrounds at the water's edge and the waterfall down the hillside.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKvhjwU7j9DqNM5nOoOTSis?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373851926

Tenders running back and forth between the dock and the ships.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIhzu9bbIt5i-rjiIfSd4pp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373851996

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLC1P8wHKvzxPXNRRG0uLec?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373852021

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcek7yK9GPK3qgHAcpRLzg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373852044

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ3cbAFzEGSPnZwB1sd1QMz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373852049

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIy8XqrhNXMQhS6VetKJpCw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373852073

We walked up the hillside road to the Norsk Fjorsenter, a museum about the area.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2WTozeM4aoZX6eGXNzHba?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373852197

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKKbbzmhwL3GHaBLEN3LELt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373852215

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPI4xqnEMVrB7uqTK22JqN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373852223

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK4NA3xRRiqMBVpGqUtm6gu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373852264

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJzNeVVV0XgOVodN67rchdR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373852270

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK46BwdQjbE0mUJkqUJbWZ9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373852302

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJO63CFzEo9lvomtSnrEdm2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1373852330

Enjoy Norway, Debbie and Jacqui, on your upcoming cruises there.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8