What does 'RARE' mean?

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

It's a manual process. 

I guess they're to busy cleaning up threads 🤷 

Here's the last Live review listed in the Live Reviews summary sheet. 

Screenshot_20220707-184834_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5f3f99d6ba8b8f291adffc27df86fe88.jpg

Now keep in mind, a Live review is different than one done after the fact. 

@Ozark_Kiddid a live review in May of his Alaskan sailing on Ovation and never received the Rare banner.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Irrelevant 🤔

It is fairly accurate. We are a 'rare' breed😁

And FWIW, Live reviews are a cheap way to generate content and drive repeat visits to the site. Makes sense that CC woukd encourage them

Actually the rare is on top of Bella. It's clear you are just trying to take credit from Bella. Its Bella that is rare. 

• Haha 1

I just don't see the point. When a "live" thread is going on, it's pretty evident, on the first page and has lots of activity.  Why the tag/title is necessary I have no idea.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BND said:

I just don't see the point. When a "live" thread is going on, it's pretty evident, on the first page and has lots of activity.  Why the tag/title is necessary I have no idea.  

Someone in ModLand seems to think that people need a pat on the head for encouragement.

Sort of like participation trophies in youth sports.  😄 

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, BND said:

It was just an included feature of the software pkg. The admins decided to activate it. 

Sorry it bothers you

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Someone in ModLand seems to think that people need a pat on the head for encouragement.

Sort of like participation trophies in youth sports.  😄 

Seems there was a movement a few years ago to ban avatars with motion. 

Might be time to bring it up again😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

It was just an included feature of the software pkg. The admins decided to activate it. 

Sorry it bothers you

How do you know that it's an added feature?  It has been obvious that some are in the pockets of the admins.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Almost no one asks for rare liver. 

Gross ... lol  😄

My wife likes liver , i cant eat it ,  too gritty .

She will order it at a particular restaurant we go to.

22 minutes ago, BND said:

How do you know that it's an added feature?  It has been obvious that some are in the pockets of the admins.

Oh please. That's a stretch. 

Visit CC Help. You can learn a lot

So here's how this works.  This page that we created back in Aug '21 plays a role in all this:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/ourpicks/?page=13

We are always awestruck that members take the time out of their cruise vacation time -- and spend money -- to share with us all here at Cruise Critic.  When cruises restarted, the creation of the page above to feature these  was a no brainer:  everyone wanted to know what it was like to be back on board.

Fast forward to the creation of a new "badge" as an additional form of recognition.  That was done sometime in April, and we began awarding the badge. 

Each weekday (maybe once over the weekend) I search titles for "live" and "on board" (as John&LaLa mentioned).  Those are added to the Live Reports page, and I award the badge at that time.  If I happen across a "live" report w/o those keywords, I'll add it.  But with thousands of posts each day, we might miss those.  Sorry!

We may be able to go back and award badges to previously-added Live From... reports, as time permits (something we do not have a great deal of, unfortunately).  

Hope this clears up this mystery!

Edited to add:  Forgot to address the "Rare" icon.  It is inherent in the software -- I like it.  I do wish it was closer to the ship icon, thus making it make sense!

Laura

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2845320-what’s-“rare”-mean-in-some-of-the-names-here/?do=findComment&comment=63159268

Edited by John&LaLa

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

According to CC, less than 5%

Personally,  I think it's less

Don't see one on your avatar😉

18 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Irrelevant 🤔

It is fairly accurate. We are a 'rare' breed😁

And FWIW, Live reviews are a cheap way to generate content and drive repeat visits to the site. Makes sense that CC woukd encourage them

Sure, but then lots of things here are rare.

As a proportion of users, people who report posts would be rare. People who start threads would be rare. People who get over 10,000 views on a thread would be rare. People who get over 1000 likes on their account would be rare. And so on.

As said, it's meaningless, and irrelevant. And doesn't actually indicate what it's for.

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Sorry it bothers you

Yes and no. "Badges" are an included feature. But the icon (ship) is customised by the site, and the "rare" is optional. It doesn't need to be displayed at all. 

So they could for example create a picture with "Live reporter" or similar, which would make more sense and be specific to what it's about. There's no need for the "rare" part, which is actually there to refer to the frequency amongst badges awarded. Since they only have the one badge here at present, it makes no sense.

Edited by The_Big_M

Somebody got their jockeys in a twist whilst trying to get the pi$$ out of their cereal this morning!

Who cares if someone has a sticker on their nametag? With all the truly devastating things going on in our world right now, somehow a sticker is the least of my concerns. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@Ozark_Kiddid a live review in May of his Alaskan sailing on Ovation and never received the Rare banner.  

It's the Royal section of CC so it stands to reason it should be inconsistent.  

PS - My live Alaska thread must have seemed dead as it wasn't live enough either, as with other cruises I've done live, some of which made it to the live area yet I still only have one live badge.  However I am reminded that each live badge is worth the same as the first and means about the same.  Zero. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Yes and no. "Badges" are an included feature. But the icon (ship) is customised by the site, and the "rare" is optional. It doesn't need to be displayed at all. 

So they could for example create a picture with "Live reporter" or similar, which would make more sense and be specific to what it's about. There's no need for the "rare" part, which is actually there to refer to the frequency amongst badges awarded. Since they only have the one badge here at present, it makes no sense.

Did you read Laura's comments from Help page. She likes it. Her site, her rules.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Did you read Laura's comments from Help page. She likes it. Her site, her rules.

I didn't comment on whether someone likes it or not. Like pretty much everything in life, some will like something and others won't.

8 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

I didn't comment on whether someone likes it or not. Like pretty much everything in life, some will like something and others won't.

Unfortunately, it really doesn't matter what we like. Site Manager creates the platform.

On 7/10/2022 at 12:25 AM, John&LaLa said:

Unfortunately, it really doesn't matter what we like. Site Manager creates the platform.

I didn't say otherwise.

I explained how the icons could be configured, and that the "rare" notation was not a requirement.

• Thanks 1