Questions from experienced cruiser, new to Cunard and possibly weird.

lahore

Hi.  We have cruised a lot and are possibly not your ‘average’ cruisers.  We have some quirks and I am seeking advice on what sort of grade of cabin to purchase.  Money is really not a huge issue because it’s only a short cruise, but I don’t see the point in paying for things we won’t be using.  This is us:

Must have twin bed configuration

Don’t drink alcohol so mini bar setup/ inclusive drinks provide no incentive

We are really MAJOR foodies but don’t like pretence - happy to pay for non-included restaurants if they appeal

We adore Asian food, not so big on Western ‘fine dining’

Keen on afternoon tea

One of us eats breakfast in bed on every cruise day

Don’t like the dressing up at all.  This does not mean we are bogans, just an older couple who wear ‘Ralph Lauren’ sort of style but neither of us possess or want to possess evening wear.  Would prefer to eat at buffet or in room rather than dress up.

Some would think us antisocial. We are happy reading and wave watching,

We will be in Perth Western Australia and need to get back to Melbourne in November.  QE is doing that exact route at that exact time so it seems a nice way to get home.  We love a ship.

I would appreciate advice from people about what ‘level’ we should purchase.  I could purchase Queens Grille but I wonder if we would get much benefit from it other than a large room which is always nice but not essential.  I’m sort of wondering if we would be just as well off in a Britannia Balcony if we intend to eat at places other than the MDR most of the time.

Please don’t bother with judging our choices.  Any responses about how we ‘should’ dress up will not be appreciated, same as ‘why’ we would want to go on Cunard knowing that the are dressy….the answer is because it’s a nice way to get home.

TIA

Edited by lahore
  • Like 2

Why not travel Britannia class in a balcony cabin? The restaurant is elegant and food very good: other options are available for not too many extra $$s. This will fit your clothes sense and you will still be able to watch the waves. Breakfast in your room will always be available (except when disembarking) with an excellent choice. 
Enjoy without paying huge sums for elements you have no need of!

4 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

Why not travel Britannia class in a balcony cabin? The restaurant is elegant and food very good: other options are available for not too many extra $$s. This will fit your clothes sense and you will still be able to watch the waves. Breakfast in your room will always be available (except when disembarking) with an excellent choice. 
Enjoy without paying huge sums for elements you have no need of!

Thanks, that’s the way I was leaning, but I was concerned about the food.  We have recently gravitated towards the smaller lines who really do have exceptional food (e.g, Oceania/Azamara/Seabourn).  Last time we cruised Princess I feared my hubster was going to actually get off due to the horrible food…wouldn’t want that angst again LoL

• Haha 1

Very briefly, Queens Grill would be a waste for you, consider booking Britannia Club Dining 

Twin bed configuration is no problem , all staterooms can be in this configuration 

Afternoon Tea is available every day in the Ballroom.

Breakfast in Bed is available. I don't know any cruise line who dosen't offer this. 

Asian food is limited ( Cunard Line caters mainly for western guests)  however, occasionally Asian food is available in the Lido 'Alternative dining' area in the evenings @ us $25 pp 

I'll not mention dress attire, however, I'm sure you will know Cunard Line is considered premium , there is a sensible dress code after 6pm in many of the main public venues.

Enjoy your cruise if you decide to sail Cunard Line. 

Edited to add; I have a 'wealth of cruising experience with Seabourn', I have never had a problem with poor food on Cunard Line in well over 50 cruises  

Edited by Bell Boy

12 minutes ago, lahore said:

Thanks, that’s the way I was leaning, but I was concerned about the food.  We have recently gravitated towards the smaller lines who really do have exceptional food (e.g, Oceania/Azamara/Seabourn).  Last time we cruised Princess I feared my hubster was going to actually get off due to the horrible food…wouldn’t want that angst again LoL

If you are used to Oceania/Azamara/Seabourn then I think you will be disappointed with the food in Britannia restaurant where you will done in if you book a balcony cabin. Also there is very little choice on QE other than MDR, buffet or Verandah restaurant which is extra. Also there will be parts of the ship you will not be able to attend if not properly dressed on Formal nights.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Very briefly, Queens Grill would be a waste for you, consider booking Britannia Club Dining 

Twin bed configuration is no problem , all staterooms can be in this configuration 

Afternoon Tea is available every day in the Ballroom

Asian food is limited ( Cunard Line caters mainly for western guests)  however, occasionally Asian food is available in the Lido 'Alternative dining' area in the evenings @ us $25 pp 

I'll not mention dress attire, however, I'm sure you will know Cunard Line is considered premium , there is a sensible dress code after 6pm in many of the main public venues.

Enjoy your cruise if you decide to sail Cunard Line. 

A lot of the chefs are Asian, and in QG would be more than happy to prepare the Asian dishes of your choice - with due warning. There are also  Coriander and Bamboo which provide Asian meals, but probably in accordance with a western concept of Asian food, so it might be a little disappointing.

We started this cruise in QG, and are now confined to a sheltered balcony, because of Covid. It's fine, but I'm glad we don't have to spend more than three days here. As your cruise is short, it might be fine.

• Like 3

One thing to be aware of is that it looks like the dress code for your November 6-night Fremantle to Melbourne cruise on QE only has one formal (Gala Evening) on the schedule, the final evening before your arrival in Melbourne. That may help inform your decision since your 'Ralph Lauren' style ought to allow you to eat in the main dining room for five of the six nights when the dress code is Smart Attire. Since you state you are major foodies, that might mean Queens Grill would be a good fit for the reasons @exlondoner has mentioned concerning being able to order Asian dishes off menu there.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, lahore said:

Hi.  We have cruised a lot and are possibly not your ‘average’ cruisers.  We have some quirks and I am seeking advice on what sort of grade of cabin to purchase.  Money is really not a huge issue because it’s only a short cruise, but I don’t see the point in paying for things we won’t be using.  This is us:

We are really MAJOR foodies but don’t like pretence - happy to pay for non-included restaurants if they appeal

Keen on afternoon tea

Don’t like the dressing up at all.  This does not mean we are bogans, just an older couple who wear ‘Ralph Lauren’ sort of style but neither of us possess or want to possess evening wear.  Would prefer to eat at buffet or in room rather than dress up.

We will be in Perth Western Australia and need to get back to Melbourne in November.  QE is doing that exact route at that exact time so it seems a nice way to get home.  We love a ship.

I would appreciate advice from people about what ‘level’ we should purchase.  I could purchase Queens Grille but I wonder if we would get much benefit from it other than a large room which is always nice but not essential.  I’m sort of wondering if we would be just as well off in a Britannia Balcony if we intend to eat at places other than the MDR most of the time.

Please don’t bother with judging our choices.  Any responses about how we ‘should’ dress up will not be appreciated, same as ‘why’ we would want to go on Cunard knowing that the are dressy….the answer is because it’s a nice way to get home.

TIA

Go for QG, as the usual ship Far East (commercial) offerings would not be authentic enough and rejected.

QG can offer off menu dining in the Restaurant or en Suite.  
Can say from personal experience there are competent Chefs (Sous etc) who can prepare very good plates ranging from Nasi gore a to a delicious Singapore Chilli Crab (with Prawns). Even Ikan Bakar! 

For your dining pleasure do talk to your booking people, stating one wishes to engage pre-cruise with the Grill’s MD for your dining requirements.    It’s good to talk!

Welcome to Cunard…..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lahore said:

Keen on afternoon tea

TIA

Dining in any of the restaurants means dressing up, at least a bit.  (Although I"m not sure about the pub.)  As foodies, you'd probably find the buffets disappointing.  But if that's not a concern, you can't beat Cunard for ambiance - perfect for reading and wave watching.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lahore said:

Keen on afternoon tea

TIA

You sound like a perfect candidate for Britannia. No sense spending the extra coin for pretense and things you do not require. Depending on your preference, even an inside Britannia cabin ( except for breakfast in bed) it is doubtful if you will spend much time in cabin. Loads of quiet places all around the ship for reading. And afternoon tea in the Queens Room is just fine. Breakfast in Bed can be sketchy in other than the high end grill as it does require you to rise and fetch your tray from the room service delivery person and resettle yourself. With the highest end grills your Butler will do the full setting up. But paying thousands extra for that extra does not sound like you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lahore said:

Keen on afternoon tea

TIA

Hello @lahore. If you love a ship and need to get from Perth to Melbourne, it sounds like the Queen Elizabeth would be a delightful option. I can't speak to the authenticity of the SE Asian food on Cunard but I have heard people say that such dishes, if requested, have been authentic - especially if the chefs understand that you wish it to be that way.

Given you prefer books and waves, and like to have breakfast in the cabin and would be happier dining in the cabin than dressing up, I would be inclined to go for the highest grade Queen's Grill that is available. Q3 is a very good size especially seeing there are two of you to accomodate. If you can spring for it and if available, Q2 and Q1 would be even roomier again! I would want to have the extra room for dining in the cabin as well as having the larger balcony from which to enjoy your journey that a Queen's Grill cabin would provide.

In Queen's Grill, the bar is set up FOC. As you don't drink alcohol you could request whatever mineral water or soft drinks you prefer to have there.

Personally, and as a Melburnian, I don't find the QG dining room (or passengers) pretentious and there will be more culinary choices available there and more flexibility to cater to your tastes. The dress code need not be arduous. Trousers and a collared shirt for men and a nice dress, or skirt/trousers with an evening top for women.

I'm *very* fussy about food and found the food in the QE buffet to be very good if you decide to ocassionally go that route. It's not 'fine dining' or cordon bleu but it is good quality proper food.

Best of luck with your decision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Super post LittleFish1976 and I agree. As a couple who spend more time than many in the cabin, a dining table is a far better option, both for ambiance and digestion rather than slumped over a coffee table or eating separately at the desks.

On the Vistas, that means a 1 or a 2.

I have had S.E/Asian dishes prepared for me and when it was found the chef came from where we lived for a while, he came for a chat and prepared me some great street food on a couple of nights.

• Like 2

Frankly, if cost isn't a problem, why consider anything but the top end - The Grills.

As for food, well in my vast experience of both Princess and Queens Grills, your choices of off menu food, Asian or otherwise, will be met in both.

As for the Head Chef visiting your table, well that's a practice I've always adhered to, again, both in Princess and Queens...

189264032_GrillsHeadChef1QM22011.thumb.jpg.dc83ac2f8ad134ad1b0ba9a4a5bc6fc5.jpg

Plus of course either Grill gives you access to the Grills Terrace - always worth the extra as with MSC Yacht Club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

Based on your requirements Cunard may not be the best fit.

Oceania or one of the other even more upscale cruise lines may make more sense.

Unless they happen to be sailing from Perth to Melbourne in November, that doesn't really help the OP !

28 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I personally see little reason to go beyond Princess Grille.  By the way, for that Gala night, do the Grills offer the ability to get room service from the Grille?

Roy

You can order from the QG menu for all evening meals if you so wish.

On one occasion, we decided that we had had enough food and only wanted something light in the evening. We ordered, from our butler, large bowls of soup and crusty bread which he brought along.

At 8:55pm we received a call from Osman as he hadn't seen us all day (we had lunch in the Todd English) and could he send something to our room. I explained it wasn't necessary, but he listed many dishes that could easily be sent. I thanked him and stuck with the soup and crusty bread.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Unless they happen to be sailing from Perth to Melbourne in November, that doesn't really help the OP !

My point was that Cunard IS NOT a good fit for their requirements.

The OP wants casual, I think there are those out there who are still upset that a Tux is not required every evening in the MDR.  Even though the dress code was relaxed a few years ago the ships tend to the more formal.  I mentioned Oceania since it tends to Country Club Casual.  I am sure some of the other lines: Seabourn, Viking, Regent may have a less formal environment.  I just have not traveled them.

The OP says they are MAJOR foodies.  Pre-COVID (not sure it is still true these days) the food in the MDR on QM2 was OK, similar to Princess cruise lines, maybe a little better then Royal.

This is significantly below what you can get on the other more expensive cruise lines.  I have not traveled in Grills so that may be significantly better however, the OP was not willing to pay the additional.

All is all, the OP on Cunard may be a square peg in a round hole.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I personally see little reason to go beyond Princess Grille.  By the way, for that Gala night, do the Grills offer the ability to get room service from the Grille?

Roy

PG cabins on the Vistas are very disappointing- long and thin and dark and gloomy, with a narrow balcony.

We shared a table with a really sporty couple in Grills. I think that they were going to be biking thru Scotland. They just ate elsewhere on the first formal night but we persuaded them to join 7 us the second one.

Women can get away with doing very little to upgrade a look. Like a nice blouse or scarf, the husband actually rented what he needed onboard and we had a lot of fun.

If you are fussy about food, you will be disappointed in the Brittania.