Passport needed when leaving and reboarding on port days?

flamingo1562

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Where have you actually “…have needed to use them while ashore more than once.” ?

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

The theme of this thread is: “Passport needed when leaving and reboarding on port days”.  That can be taken to mean when leaving and reboarding the ship — it does not appear to involve overnight hotel stays in Bangkok or Italy - or even cashing travelers checks at American Express - if they even still exist.

I was responding to the question you asked.  I thought that was clear, since i quoted your post, which specifically asked where I had needed to use my passport while ashore.

15 hours ago, PetalumaCruiser said:

Ever been pickpocketed?

If that is meant to be a challenge, it's more common than you may think. I am a pretty savvy traveler and was pickpocketed in Barcelona -- wallet taken from zipped shoulder bag without me even noticing. 

My ex-DH was victim of attempted pickpocketing in Rome on the Spanish steps -- surrounded by a mob of kids with a piece of cardboard trying to access his wallet while keeping his hands above and out of play. They were not successful mainly because he is a large and hyper-alert streetwise type.  This was one of the more aggressive attempts I've witnessed.

Sister and BIL were targeted on the train from Piraeus into Athens. Again, they were aware and were able to move away.

Ex-FIL had his wallet lifted on the subway in Paris.

Three additional work colleagues have been pickpocketed either in Barcelona (2) or Rome (1). The latter also lost his passport -- it took a day to replace it and it could have been longer if there had not been specific need for quick action.

So -- this is just among my immediate family and circle of friends/colleagues.  

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If that is meant to be a challenge, it's more common than you may think. I am a pretty savvy traveler and was pickpocketed in Barcelona -- wallet taken from zipped shoulder bag without me even noticing. 

My ex-DH was victim of attempted pickpocketing in Rome on the Spanish steps -- surrounded by a mob of kids with a piece of cardboard trying to access his wallet while keeping his hands above and out of play. They were not successful mainly because he is a large and hyper-alert streetwise type.  This was one of the more aggressive attempts I've witnessed.

Sister and BIL were targeted on the train from Piraeus into Athens. Again, they were aware and were able to move away.

Ex-FIL had his wallet lifted on the subway in Paris.

Three additional work colleagues have been pickpocketed either in Barcelona (2) or Rome (1). The latter also lost his passport -- it took a day to replace it and it could have been longer if there had not been specific need for quick action.

So -- this is just among my immediate family and circle of friends/colleagues.  

I have never been pickpocketed but I also know a few who have been. The kids doing it is common. They will put mustard or something on you or something like that to divert attention. Interesting that they got into shoulder bag as Rick Steves advises using that with the straps crosswise instead of a backpack because you can't see them from behind. He also suggests carying a wallet with a dollar or two in it so that they grab that. He keeps the real  stuff in a money belt.  He claims that the pickpockets have taken that a few times from his front pocket. In Europe I wear a Scottevest with hidden pockets if the weather is mild enough. Not too comfortable in hot weather though. I always wear my vest on planes because it holds an iPad, chargers, and travel documents. 

Edited by Charles4515

I am going to post a link to a past article from US News and World Report that speaks to the topic.  It is interesting to note that the high State Department Official who is quoted in the story says:

"In countries where you're not required to carry your passport, we recommend locking it up," Bernier-Toth adds, noting it's wise to use a hotel safe and keep your suitcase protected with a travel lock while you're away from your room."    [the person quoted is managing director of overseas citizen services for the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs]

From past stories this has long been the advice from the State Department.  That being said, after more than 50 years of extensive international travel I have heard good arguments on both sides of this subject:

How to Protect Your Passport While Traveling (usnews.com)

As to our own practice, we only carry our Passports when it is absolutely necessary because of the laws of the country we are visiting or for other reasons (i.e. I sometimes need my Passport to rent a car). 

Hank

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Does anyone know the passport rules for Israel?  I've read that we need to carry ID all the time, and that means passports if you are an American or Canadian.

When I visited Israel via cruise ship we were required to take our passports with us. Prior to docking, Israeli officials came aboard the ship and met everyone (with passport in hand) to approve the documentation. When we left the ship the next day (and so on), we had to leave the ship with passport in hand where it was checked again before we could proceed to leave the immediate vicinity.

Not sure if things have changed since then...but from what I've read, I think not.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:

isn't it the country youre' coming back INto?   Say,,,you've gone to Mexico...they let ya right in.  it' getting back in is where your passport comes in handy

Depends on the country you are entering. I have never flown into Europe (which we have done 15 or 20 times) from the US without having to show my passport both at the departing airport, and in the arriving country. If you fly into Mexico, you not only have to show your passport, you have to turn is a copy of a form, and turn in another copy when you exit.

10 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Depends on the country you are entering. I have never flown into Europe (which we have done 15 or 20 times) from the US without having to show my passport both at the departing airport, and in the arriving country. If you fly into Mexico, you not only have to show your passport, you have to turn is a copy of a form, and turn in another copy when you exit.

When I flew into Rome t showed my passport but they did nor look inside my passport book. Just waved me through. Seemed very odd.They did look at it on the way out. 

22 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

When I flew into Rome t showed my passport but they did nor look inside my passport book. Just waved me through. Seemed very odd.They did look at it on the way out. 

Had you already transited through another European country?  (e.g. your flight had an intermediate stop in Europe where your passport was stamped?)

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Had you already transited through another European country?  (e.g. your flight had an intermediate stop in Europe where your passport was stamped?)

No. My flight was from the US to Rome. Of course the airline checks your passport before your flight so maybe that was good enough. When I left Rome my passport was stamped. As I understand that is important as you need the exit date stamped. 

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

When we entered the US earlier this month, the Immigration agent took our passport, compared the  picture to the face and waved us on. Maybe 30 seconds, tops. That is at their discretion. They could also run our passport through the system, and stamp, like when we arrived in Copenhagen. Everyone should expect the later, not the former. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Our first trip to Rome we walked past these armed guys in uniform and right out a door to the outside.  No immigration, no stamps no lines.   All by mistake, but no one said a word.   

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Our first trip to Rome we walked past these armed guys in uniform and right out a door to the outside.  No immigration, no stamps no lines.   All by mistake, but no one said a word.   

Of course, Italy is full of police: Immigration Police,  Municipal Police, Traffic Police,  Financial Police, Carabinieri to name a few - it is hard to tell which - and why they happen to be where they are. Some you encounter might just be out for a stroll.

Edited by navybankerteacher

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course, Italy is full of police: Immigration Police,  Municipal Police, Traffic Police,  Financial Police, Carabinieri to name a few - it is hard to tell which - and why they happen to be where they are. Some you encounter might just be out for a stroll.

I don't know who/what they were.  Four or five hanging out by the door.  We obviously looked like innocent American tourists who had no idea what we were doing -- which was true.   

• Haha 1